3D Realms Release “NOT” Closing

So what do they have to show for 11 years and $20 Million? How much more time or money could it possibly require to get it out the door and start recouping some of that investment? They they so casually walked away from that much time, and that much money, indicates to me that there really isn't anything there. It sounds more like a ponzi scheme, constantly looking for new investors to continue funding the party.

Seriously, if you can't get your game done in 11 years, you are in the wrong line of work. Just think about what else has happened in 11 years. Windows 98 was the hot new OS when they started working on this game. Microsoft has shipped 3, almost 4 new operating systems in the time these jokers were working on one game. Kids who were *born* when DNF was announced will be entering Junior High next fall, hell they could even write some of the code for it now too.

It's just unreal that this project lasted so long. I'm now convinced that the name Duke Nukem Forever was an intentional joke and that they never seriously planned to ship a game, but merely to milk investors for as long as they could.

So wait, they fired everyone that was currently working on the only game the studio was working on, but they're not closing?

How are those two things really any different? Shouldn't that have essentially been their entire staff? :confused: :rolleyes:

this is what I was thinking

It's just unreal that this project lasted so long. I'm now convinced that the name Duke Nukem Forever was an intentional joke and that they never seriously planned to ship a game, but merely to milk investors for as long as they could.

QFT. Maybe in the beginning, but after the first 8 years, there's no way they had any intentions of ever releasing the game.

Considering they funded almost all of the game in-house, who exactly were they "milking"?

Come to think of it, yeah why don't they just make a new Shadow Warrior game.

Fucked up with DNF and shame for the customers, but a new Shadow Warrior game would be awesome to continue the stories of Low Wang. :p

In Shadow Warrior, myself spend more time with the naked anime girls than doing anything else. ;)

Considering they funded almost all of the game in-house, who exactly were they "milking"?

Got a link? That $20 Million had to come from somewhere. And if it really was just "their money", doesn't it strike you as odd how cavalier they are to just walk away from it? Supposedly, that money was spent with the intent of creating something that they could then sell and license to generate even more money. After 11 years of effort, you'd think they would have something to show for it. Even a short, buggy, incomplete game would generate some revenue to offset their investment, Yet there is not even a hint that they have anything to release. You don't just walk away from something like that unless there simply isn't anything there, thus my conclusion that it was just a scam. It may not have started out that way, but it certainly appears to have ended that way.

Maybe you should read the news article your discussing. It is there.

Got a link? That $20 Million had to come from somewhere.

Links:
3D Realms Official Statement said:
Take-Two never paid 3DR advances or any signing bonus or any other funds related to DNF, up until July 2008, at which time they paid $2.5m in connection with another agreement for an unannounced game, [...] This is the sum total Take-Two has paid 3DR in connection with DNF.
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=58681
This suggests to me that the money received wasn't even for DNF. I think it's pretty clear in stating this.

George Broussard said:
Just bear in mind that 3DR funds DNF 100% out of our own pockets. Take Two does nothing.
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=7653819#itemanchor_7653819

The $20 million probably came from Duke3d, Prey, Max Payne, all their other Duke games.

After 11 years of effort, you'd think they would have something to show for it. Even a short, buggy, incomplete game would generate some revenue to offset their investment, Yet there is not even a hint that they have anything to release. You don't just walk away from something like that unless there simply isn't anything there, thus my conclusion that it was just a scam.

They've had things to show for it, though not a finished, retail product, obviously. Numerous screenshots, trailers, and concept art have been leaked and/or released over the years.

And yes, if you suffer from poor management and design direction, are "forced" to redesign the game from the ground up three times, and then are refused extra money from your publisher to "complete" the game (not that Take 2 should have given it to them anyway), I'd say walking away is about the only option you have left if you are out of money.

It's not a scam, it's just poor direction and decision-making over a long period of time.

If I understood correctly, someone hinted at the possibility that they fired the dev. team in order to get them out from under 3D Realms so that they may be hired by another company to finish DNF. I'm not sure how that would work but that's the idea I got from it at least. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Come on! Go under already! I didn't buy all these party favors and streamers for nothing dammit!

OR

They only stayed around to avoid the lawsuits.

I miss jetpack / trip wire wars. didn't someone release a source version of some of the original maps? I hope someone finishes it.. regardless of how bad/good it might be... at least there will be some closure. heh

Bah, their microsoft windows crashed and they didn't back up the game, so all was lost. Cut it as lost, move on.......Happy, Happy , Joy, Joy.

My first contribution to the [H].
People had speculated that something like this might happen, but I was still kinda shocked when I found that article. Now to see how far they'll take DNF & in what direction. Will it become reality or are they just putting a new spin on the old "Foreverness" factor?

Links:

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=58681
This suggests to me that the money received wasn't even for DNF. I think it's pretty clear in stating this.

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=7653819#itemanchor_7653819

The $20 million probably came from Duke3d, Prey, Max Payne, all their other Duke games.

At this point I don't give a fuck how it was funded. We still have no product. For all we know, that money was used to pay for hookers and blow, and every once in awhile one of the 3D animators would produce enough for a video or screenshot just to keep the hype going. The rest would just rub one out in their offices on a regular basis since they really had nothing better to do.

And this takes another turn, again. Though after all the shitting and waiting and whatever else it will be amusing to see how this will end, if it ever will, and maybe we will get DNF some nice day..

i cant believe you guys all missed whats really going on here. obviously they just finished DNF and sent all the developers on vacations to reward them for their past 30 years spent developing the game night and day. expect it to hit shelves this weekend.

Back