390X coming soon few weeks

Someone needs to do some [H]ardTime. C'mon, Taipei is 12 hours ahead of US East Coast.

If this forum can't get the time zones right, how's anyone gonna believe transistor count estimations or fps benchies?

;)

I guess there's another event between Computex and E3.

znITvkQ.jpg

I know that is what AMD will be judged on, the final performance. But I am just telling people to temper their expectations. There is nothing about HBM that offers performance increases for current games. Games are not suffering from a shortage of bandwidth.

And, yes, people will judge the new card based on the performance of the 980Ti. But think about the reality of the situation. The new card would have to be 60 or 70% faster the 290x, that's a lot to ask without a Die Shrink.

I understand and agree with everything you both said, the only avenue I can see is price, because I can't see them pulling a 50% plus increase out of the bag.

I hope I am wrong.

You are wrong. There actually is a lot that HBM offers that will improve performance in current games. GPUs are starving for bandwidth.

I have no benchmarks, read my post above. People seem to expect a company in dire financial trouble to somehow get an 80% performance increase over their previous high end card. That's roughly the performance increase it would need to be 15% faster than the Titan-X.

Where is this performance increase going to come from? It's not going to come from a new memory tech. Unless AMD are going to surprise us out of the blue with a Die Shrink.

We are still on 28nm, even Nvidia couldn't get that sort of performance increase, how are AMD going to do it?

Again, I hope I am entirely wrong, I just can't see how it will happen.

I would consider it a good, maybe not great, but good start for AMD's recovery if they can offer a card that gets around 85-90% of 980Ti performance at the $449/$499 mark.

And maybe that HBM might mean that it surpasses the 980Ti in DX12 games.

So 50%, 60%, 70%, and now magically 80%?
Glad you can keep your numbers straight.

Go back and read this thread, I have explained quite clearly what AMD could have done to surpass Titan X.

I love how two troll sites post some pure FUD and everyone's imagination runs wild.

Okay... making my predictions now...

Released and available in its entirety in 3 weeks

- $999 Titan X killer :: r9 "395x2 VR" - 2x Fiji w/ 8gb HBM water cooled (possible 8gb usable and not 4gb x2?)
- $599 980ti killer :: r9 "395x" - Fiji w/ 4gb HBM air cooled
- $499 980 killer :: r9 390x - rebadged 290x w/ 8gb gddr5 overclocked & optimized
- $349 970 killer :: r9 390 - rebadged 290x w/4gb gddr5 overclocked & optimized

would save AMD?

Revising a bit based on new info ;)

- $999 Titan X killer :: Fury VR - 2x Fiji w/ 8gb HBM water cooled (possible 8gb usable and not 4gb x2?)
- $599 980ti competitor :: Fury X - Fiji w/ 4gb HBM overclocked & water cooled
- $499 980 killer #1 :: Fury - Fiji w/ 4gb HBM aircooled
- $399 980 killer #2 :: r9 390x - rebadged 290x w/ 8gb gddr5 overclocked & optimized
- $299 970 killer :: r9 390 - rebadged 290x w/4gb gddr5 overclocked & optimized
- $199 960 killer :: r9 380 - rebadged 285 w/ 4gb gddr5 & overclocked

computex conference in 4 hours. I expect 300 series release and Fury teasers until E3. Fury VR postponed with a post-E3 launch...

AMD could still win this generation battle :p

You are wrong. There actually is a lot that HBM offers that will improve performance in current games. GPUs are starving for bandwidth.

So 50%, 60%, 70%, and now magically 80%?
Glad you can keep your numbers straight.

Go back and read this thread, I have explained quite clearly what AMD could have done to surpass Titan X.

I love how two troll sites post some pure FUD and everyone's imagination runs wild.

I don't think current games are bandwidth constrained at all, I haven't seen any benchmarks that showed that, newer games will be more shader constrained then anything else even on the Titan X.

I guess there's another event between Computex and E3.

znITvkQ.jpg

[H]ardTime says June 11-13 is THREE days, not the two which is specified on the invite. Which day is the down day? If AMD can't count to 3, there's gonna be some bad news on the 390...

:)

I don't think current games are bandwidth constrained at all, I haven't seen any benchmarks that showed that, newer games will be more shader constrained then anything else even on the Titan X.

I never said they were....

Or they want people to talk about and speculate like has been happening.

Also a good chance to let pissed off Titan X owners return their cards and get cash ready.
Which retailer out there actually takes back 1000+ dollar video cards because some Jack Wagons develop buyers remorse? Id like to hear about this:D

Well either they know something we don't or they have way more money than sense. Hopefully it's the first and in a good way.

Well either they know something we don't or they have way more money than sense. Hopefully it's the first and in a good way.

It has happened before, pure speculative trading. The risk is worth the possible reward to someone.

If anyone finds a stream or live blog, please post.
I'm refreshing AnandTech at the moment.

The official computex stream is not showing the AMD conference.

No blogs or streams anywhere, press blackout?
Maybe we'll get info at the end... Otherwise... snoooooze.

Back