390X coming soon few weeks

Totally depends on pricing. If it's 20% faster than 980 (coming within 10% of the $1000 Titan X), and costs $550, that's a major win. If it's >20% faster than 980 and still costs $550, that's gravy.

By a similar estimation, if the 390x is 20% faster than 980, and it's priced at or above $650, that's going to be a hard sell. In this case, AMD would not be changing any paradigms, just filling a niche in an established price/performance hierarchy -- something that would be a shame and a marginal stagnation failure, in my view.

I don't think 390X will be cheap if they are investing into HBM and water cooling. But there is all this talk about HBM being super fast and the 390X having so many SPs etc etc it will be a shame if it does not out do the Titan X. If they are making the king of the hill and it comes out and it isn't the King of the Hill, I think AMD will just shoot them selves in the foot, especially since they are taking there sweet arse time to bring it out.

So it better be the fastest at any cost.

Anybody know what Lord did to get banned? He was a good contributor here.

Not really the place to ask that info, but I imagine having posts deleted in 'Nvidia Explains Why Their G-Sync Display Tech Is Superior To AMD's FreeSync' for 'trolling and off-topic' might have something to do with it...

Back on topic, I do find myself wondering how much of a difference HBM can really make. It's something that may be necessary to keep up with the fastest GPUs but then nvidia have made do pretty well without it so far and there's a big gap AMD need to cross to catch up, let alone take the lead. Given that the Titan X is nvidia's very recently released halo product I'd be very surprised if AMD top it - that has very rarely happened in the past.

I don't think 390X will be cheap if they are investing into HBM and water cooling. But there is all this talk about HBM being super fast and the 390X having so many SPs etc etc it will be a shame if it does not out do the Titan X. If they are making the king of the hill and it comes out and it isn't the King of the Hill, I think AMD will just shoot them selves in the foot, especially since they are taking there sweet arse time to bring it out.

So it better be the fastest at any cost.

Can you show me a link where AMD said what the performance of the new card would be?

I see a lot of rumour sites and a lot of speculation on various forums but nothing from AMD?

So can you explain how AMD are making this card king of the hill?

Totally depends on pricing. If it's 20% faster than 980 (coming within 10% of the $1000 Titan X), and costs $550, that's a major win. If it's >20% faster than 980 and still costs $550, that's gravy.

By a similar estimation, if the 390x is 20% faster than 980, and it's priced at or above $650, that's going to be a hard sell. In this case, AMD would not be changing any paradigms, just filling a niche in an established price/performance hierarchy -- something that would be a shame and a marginal stagnation failure, in my view.

If it's 20% faster than 980 and at about 600-700, then all NV is to do is release 980 Ti, bit slower than Titan, bit faster than 980, put it at current 980 price, lower 980 to 450-500, and they win hands down.

But, even if I'm usually at green camp, I'd not mind great AMD product to put it back on track and gain market share. Actually, I'd love them to trump 980 and Titan and be sensibly priced. Because without competition we will be seeing old, refreshed burgers being sold as new GPUs, and current gen will be milked beyond any sensibility.

No official numbers are out now but HBM, more ALU's, and a stock water cooler HSF should let it easily beat the 980 at a minimum. If it doesn't then AMD screwed up big time somewhere when designing their GPU.

No official numbers are out now but HBM, more ALU's, and a stock water cooler HSF should let it easily beat the 980 at a minimum. If it doesn't then AMD screwed up big time somewhere when designing their GPU.

With the rumored die size it really should beat 980 easily- anything else would be total disaster.

My god, will they just release the damn card now. I'm sick of waiting for them to liquidate old stock.

That "rumor" is about 99% true now, over weekend I saw 280x all flagged as "refurbished" on clearance at local PC place. It wouldn't of been odd if there wasn't 160 of them listed.

With the rumored die size it really should beat 980 easily- anything else would be total disaster.

Haha this. If the maxed out die 50% larger than the 980s with a CLC and HBM doesn't beat a 980 they might as well just give up on discrete GPUs.

Anybody know what Lord did to get banned? He was a good contributor here.

You're talking about LordEC? That'd be a pitty and disheartening. He nailed the Titan X performance...

dr/owned also got banned but that was a bit more obvious since he was saying things like phase change cooling a 9590 is like dressing up a mentally handicapped person in a suit...

I was curious about GoldenTiger. No posts since 7th of Feb. Doesn't look like he got banned but went from 5 posts/day to nothing. Perhaps nVidia is waterboarding him somewhere. :eek:

Man I've seen the "300 series are rebrands" article EVERY DAY from a different source for the past week. All because of the stupid code AMD left in their drivers. They need to learn how to control their shit.

Bad press is murdering their image, even if it's just rumors. We now have a hardware community full of people who mistakenly believe AMD has confirmed the 300 series will be rebrands. It's just not good.
Assuming the rumor is false... If it's true then it doesn't really matter if AMD keeps it under wraps.

Some 300 series cards are bound to be rebrands, that's how AMD roll. The only cards I think it's safe to say won't be, will be the 390/390X, Even the 380/380X could potentially be rebrands of the 290/290X, even though hopefully not.

He probably yelled at an Nvidia troll, ive been sent on vacation for that too.

The thing with some nVidia trolls, is that they're so blindsighted by their loyalty, they don't even use logic or stick to facts, either willfully, or because they just didn't bother to research. No point yelling at them and getting sent on a vacation, when just logic and facts is enough to poke holes in their arguments.

Last edited:
Some 300 series cards are bound to be rebrands, that's how AMD roll. The only cards I think it's safe to say won't be, will be the 390/390X, Even the 380/380X could potentially be rebrands of the 290/290X, even though hopefully not.
And there are some rumors saying AMD delayed the launch beyond Feb/March to finish an entire series of new cards for June. The only thing AMD is in a position to rebrand is Hawaii, and that's not good enough by itself for just a new sticker... They need to do more. 480->580 style refresh would be enough.

And there are some rumors saying AMD delayed the launch beyond Feb/March to finish an entire series of new cards for June. The only thing AMD is in a position to rebrand is Hawaii, and that's not good enough by itself for just a new sticker... They need to do more. 480->580 style refresh would be enough.

Especially if "Grenada" has the same power consumption as Fiji. It will not look good. I'd rather see the performance stay the same and the power consumption get reduced by ~10%. Anyways, I am still a believer that the drivers are still holding Hawaii back a little. I don't believe the performance is tapped out just yet and can easily get within 5% of a 980 at the lower resolutions. 4K has proved it to be a worthy competitor on performance.

IF the new architecture makes enough of a performance per watt improvement, it'd make sense to scale it down to lower performance levels that match the 290/290X to release new variants of them that aren't rebrands. It would also make sense to do that after the 390/390X release if they're going to take longer. Waiting to release them all at once is unnecessarily depriving themselves of revenue - people waiting for the best at the £500 price point will get bored waiting and buy a GTX980 instead, just because AMD are waiting for their £200 and below price point card to be ready. The only reason to be waiting until June should be if the top-end cards aren't ready for release yet.

What I'd expect is if the 390X can offer a 50% performance boost over the 290X at, say, 350W to approach the Titan X, and the 390 can, say, offer a 30% performance boost for 280W, then one would hope that something of the 290X power level could be produced for little over 200W, to bring the power and heat demands down a little bit - maybe even drop in an additional product in the middle, sitting between the 290X and 390, perhaps taking the form of the 380X, leaving a 290X equivalent to be the standard 380. Who knows. Either way, if there's no performance-per-watt improvements, rebrands would definitely be necessary, but not only that, the Titan X competitor rumoured just could not exist. So here's hoping they have somehow managed to get their architecture up to scratch on power efficiency at 28nm. I would say 'nvidia can do it, so why can't they?' but then I could say the same about their CPUs :p

AMD hasn't really done more than 2 tiers per GPU... Hawaii is two, Tahiti was two, Pitcairn was two.
I suppose it has something to do with production costs outweighing their sale value on scaled-down chips.

Nvidia really does a better job in that department... AMD just doesn't have the resources anymore... Would love to see 4 different Fijis though. Maybe that's what Grenada is.

Unless you are specifically referring to launching together than AMD has used more than 2 configurations per GPU design during a product cycle.

Tahiti was eventually released in 3 configurations (7970, 7950, and 7870 XT) or 5 depending on how you want to count things (7950 boost and 7970 GE).

Pitcarin (renamed) is also currently 3 as the r7 265x, r9 270, r9 270x (although the latter two are clockspeed variations only).

Some 300 series cards are bound to be rebrands, that's how AMD roll.

Not just AMD, but Nvidia too. Lower end cards in the current lineup are often based on last gen chips.

I mean, think of how long G92 stuck around.

We are talking from Geforce 8800 up through GTS 250 with only minor refinements.

Can you show me a link where AMD said what the performance of the new card would be?

I see a lot of rumour sites and a lot of speculation on various forums but nothing from AMD?

Did you not read any of the articles a few months back that AMD released some ads or news or something on 'king of the hill' is coming. Im not sure if it is related to upcoming GPUs or not but that's what they said.

Did you not read any of the articles a few months back that AMD released some ads or news or something on 'king of the hill' is coming. Im not sure if it is related to upcoming GPUs or not but that's what they said.

That was before the Titan X was released ;)

Zarathustra[H];1041506598 said:
Not just AMD, but Nvidia too. Lower end cards in the current lineup are often based on last gen chips.

I mean, think of how long G92 stuck around.

We are talking from Geforce 8800 up through GTS 250 with only minor refinements.

Don't forget Fermi still lives on in the GT 730. I mean christ just let it rest in peace already.

Yeah but I had to get a cheap graphics card the other day to get a brand new HP PC to run 2560x1440 for a client (since I was shocked to find the IGP in the new i5 boards still doesn't allow dual-link DVI) and ended up with an HD5450 - that's been around for a good 5 years now hasn't it? :D

I was referring to the fact that 4 years after Fermi debuted, nVidia is still sticking them in one of their GPUs. Admittedly a low end part, but since we're talking about rebrands it seemed relevant.

While rebrands make sense for the business it's always kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not necessarily opposed to it but it just seems wrong to label old shit as new.

Those weren't ads, they were supposedly leaks from the Linkedin profile of an AMD employee. It was just more clickbait from rumour sites. Again, please link me something that comes from AMD and not from rumour sites or forums.

That's old news, the prices are from a German source so if they're just converting the currency then it's most likely inaccurate since everything costs more in Europe.
"$700" in Europe could still be $550 in the states on the low-end. So honestly the leak tells us nothing useful... Assuming it's even true.

That's old news, the prices are from a German source so if they're just converting the currency then it's most likely inaccurate since everything costs more in Europe.
"$700" in Europe could still be $550 in the states on the low-end. So honestly the leak tells us nothing useful... Assuming it's even true.

The euro has been tanking hardcore vs the dollar in recent months. I wonder will this the price ultimately (in Europe)?

2 1/2 months and 44 pages later, we still have nothing.

1.5 years later, we still have nothing.

GTX9xx + Titan X released and we still have nothing.

And all the talk about nothing coming till June. For all the newcomers to the tech world, I feel sorry for you. The days of enjoying new releases and being overjoyed about upcoming things is coming to an end. AMD cannot even give us a damn CPU to play with :(

It sucks that the wait has been so long, but really I think the problem here is manufacturing processes. AMD is fabless now, and while we could argue over whether or not that was a good decision, the delays on 20nm really impacted both NVIDIA and AMD's road maps.

Those weren't ads, they were supposedly leaks from the Linkedin profile of an AMD employee. It was just more clickbait from rumour sites. Again, please link me something that comes from AMD and not from rumour sites or forums.

Well fine then, there is no king of the hill coming anymore. It will just be a slower card than the titan x if u say so. Ill just go get 2x Titan X then

As an American living in Europe, the cost of hardware over here is frustratingly around 30-40% more expensive. Being a European hardware enthusiast without access to US prices is just awful. If that's accurate, and the price will be €640, it will likely be around $550 in US.

It sucks that the wait has been so long, but really I think the problem here is manufacturing processes. AMD is fabless now, and while we could argue over whether or not that was a good decision, the delays on 20nm really impacted both NVIDIA and AMD's road maps.

while I wait for the 390x I am so enjoyin my 290.
gonna go launch path of exile at 5040x1050 120hz now :)
act 4 out soon so the one month race is on.

Back