390X coming soon few weeks

Titan X announced today.
Waiting to see those Fiji's from AMD @ GDC. They are now trailing Nvidia by 2 whole GPU series.

Don't even need to see numbers -- just a box and a card. That's all.
At this point I'd almost accept wooden screws or a photoshopped image on a projector!

That titan X looks like a beast... Would be about 40% faster than a 980. Shame that nvidia have such extortionate pricing on the high end products! The 390x is supposed to be 40% faster as well so it should be interesting... But with nvidia charging such stupid prices for the titan X and AMD possibly having close performance that does not "bode well" for the 390x pricing! I feel sorry for AMD to be honest... They bring out good products at good prices and always get BS from people about drivers etc. Ok the drivers are not quite as good as nvidia but they also bring out similar performing cards at a lot lower prices and do not use tricks like charging for adaptive sync and calling 3.5gb cards 4gb etc.

So this Titan X thing, is it single GPU? And faster than a Titan Z or 2x GTX 980s?

Also does that mean GTX 980 Ti will be here soon?

So this Titan X thing, is it single GPU? And faster than a Titan Z or 2x GTX 980s?

Also does that mean GTX 980 Ti will be here soon?

Titan X is single GPU. NVIDIA will wait for AMD to someday make a move before releasing a 980ti. That way they can milk the 970/980/Titan X for as long as possible.

My guess is that AMD won't have product on shelves until after May although they may paper launch sooner. Won't be as fast as a 980ti but will be cheaper.

Titan X is single GPU. NVIDIA will wait for AMD to someday make a move before releasing a 980ti. That way they can milk the 970/980/Titan X for as long as possible.

My guess is that AMD won't have product on shelves until after May although they may paper launch sooner. Won't be as fast as a 980ti but will be cheaper.
Most likely. Nvidia is going to capitalize on Titan X sales as much as possible between now and the 300 series. Then they'll launch the little brother Titan X as the 980 Ti which Nvidia will scale to be slightly faster and more expensive than the 390X.

Although if the 390X ends up being 40-50% faster than the 980 as earlier predicted, then Nvidia is totally fucked. If that's the case, Nvidia knows it and they're rolling out the Titan X to get as many sales as possible until AMD flounders them.

So which scenario is it? Could be either one, honestly.
Green boys see the first. Red boys see the second.

I'm going with the first one since, being grounded in reality, it seems more likely. Nvidia succeeds -- AMD fails. Story of our lives.

Poor AMD they really need to do something about their marketing and timing of products, I guess it is lack of money that means they cannot make stuff fast enough and also market as well as Nvidia.

Poor AMD they really need to do something about their marketing and timing of products, I guess it is lack of money that means they cannot make stuff fast enough and also market as well as Nvidia.

Good thing there are consumers out there who can make decisions for themselves based on the actual product they're purchasing, regardless of how much marketing hype happens to be behind it.

Hell, if there were less sheeple out there buying crap based on this ever-coveted "marketing" of yours, we might have less idiots purchasing videogame preorders and DLC blindly...

Good thing there are consumers out there who can make decisions for themselves based on the actual product they're purchasing, regardless of how much marketing hype happens to be behind it.

Hell, if there were less sheeple out there buying crap based on this ever-coveted "marketing" of yours, we might have less idiots purchasing videogame preorders and DLC blindly...
People are returning GTX 970's and paying the difference to upgrade to a GTX 980. All of this following probably one of the biggest scandals in Nvidia history.
So much for making decisions on the products they're purchasing.

I wonder how the situation would have been different if AMD got caught lying about the 290X and it actually only had 3.5 GB of VRAM? Can't even imagine.

People are returning GTX 970's and paying the difference to upgrade to a GTX 980. All of this following probably one of the biggest scandals in Nvidia history.
So much for making decisions on the products they're purchasing.

I wonder how the situation would have been different if AMD got caught lying about the 290X and it actually only had 3.5 GB of VRAM? Can't even imagine.

That is my point exactly... If AMD would have released the 390x by now people would be returning the 970 and buying a 390 / 390x, I would be anyway... But people are swapping for a 980 and giving the company that just scammed them more money. AMD would get twice the amount of s**t from customers.

You forgot to mention people who religiously buy apple products

That is my point exactly... If AMD would have released the 390x by now people would be returning the 970 and buying a 390 / 390x, I would be anyway... But people are swapping for a 980 and giving the company that just scammed them more money. AMD would get twice the amount of s**t from customers.

sounds about right.

You forgot to mention people who religiously buy apple products

I think there is a goodly segment of the tech buying public that just don't have the time, interests or stomach to wade into all the choices on the market for a given item, so they buy on brand or read a few high profile reviews at best and dive in with the hope of a "trusted" brand delivering a solid product. I especially see this with Apple folks, and they do OK with it most of the time since A don't release anything that's outright crap generally. I don't blame them too much really, life is busy these days. I don't do things that way myself, and I hope nobody thinks ill of me for it. I don't trust any company enough to buy blindly though.

They did get caught

http://techreport.com/review/25712/are-retail-radeon-r9-290x-cards-slower-than-press-samples

You can imagine, then, how things went a bit pear-shaped when folks started reporting that Radeon R9 290X cards purchased at retail don't seem to perform as well as the review units AMD supplied to the press.

It's actually worse than the 970 issue as retail cards were not performing as well review cards.

It was a problem with a fan profile, corrected in a driver update and non-issue for all the custom cards. Even if you owned the reference card with the old drivers, you could just manually boost the fan profile yourself and it would "fix" the problem.

Once the VRAM news broke, if Nvidia had released a driver update to completely resolve the problem then we might be able to compare the two... And nobody would care about it the same way nobody cares about AMD's fan problem. It's a software vs hardware issue, and it was easily fixable by both AMD and customers.

AMD was busted secretly compressing textures in the late 2000's to make their benchmark scores higher... that's a much better scandal to point out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/radeon-catalyst-image-quality-benchmark,11701.html

It was a problem with a fan profile, corrected in a driver update

Sadly no.

Beyond that, I think we've collected enough data to say with confidence that our initial R9 290X review unit, sample 1, is superior to the two retail cards we tested, regardless of the driver or firmware revision.

AMD was caught with their pants down. It may be why the 290 series sold so poorly.

The 970 performs just as the reviews suggested, which is why most people were not concerned.

Sadly no.

AMD was caught with their pants down. It may be why the 290 series sold so poorly.

The 970 performs just as the reviews suggested, which is why most people were not concerned.

lol.. 290 sales were poor? they were sold out for nearly 6 months straight, sure it was miners buying them, but even before that, it was hard to find.

290 was faster than a 780, and cheaper, 290x was faster than the 780, and cost $50 more, it was on par with the 780ti and cost $200 less. Not sure what you're referring to though.

BTW Titan X is a nice paper launch!! :)

Instead of the 970, if the 290X were having all these problems with VRAM bandwidth, AMD attempting to modify spec sheets after the fact, posting misleading FPS benchmarks that don't address the real problem, eventually issuing refunds through retailers/AIB's ... (all the things Nvidia has done over the last 3-4 months)

Would you be posting in the "290X only has 3.5 GB of VRAM" thread saying it's "not a real concern"?

If you think a fan profile is enough to ruin both the 290 and 290X, I can't imagine why you're giving Nvidia a pass for the 970. "Most people not concerned"? Who do you think you're fooling here?

I mean if you look at Steam survey, GTX 780 has 25% more market share than R9 200 series-- that includes what 5 GPUs?

I mean if you look at Steam survey, GTX 780 has 25% more market share than R9 200 series-- that includes what 5 GPUs?
Well, don't look at the Steam hardware survey.

AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 0.64%

AMD Radeon HD 7970 1.05%

Unless you honestly believe there are 50% more 7970's on the market than the 260, 260X, 265, 270, 270X, 285, 280, 280X, 290, 290X, and 295X2 combined.
Although most of the 280X's show up as "7970" in their vbios.

Not that I especially trust AMD, but when retailers are willingly offering trade-in/trade-up on a new item, people somewhere are most definitely "concerned". I'd be embarrassed as hell myself.
I'm sure it's a very nice video card and I was all set to have a quiet, cool running GPU with a blower style cooler up till this business came to light, then I bought another 290x to tide me over.

That steam hardware survey is goofy. I can't prove it other than indirectly in that they do not provide any more hard data than they do along with it. I'm sure there is real data there but the circumstances and context are important, and missing.

Titan X announced today.
Waiting to see those Fiji's from AMD @ GDC. They are now trailing Nvidia by 2 whole GPU series.

Don't even need to see numbers -- just a box and a card. That's all.
At this point I'd almost accept wooden screws or a photoshopped image on a projector!

It would be nice to see real working silicon at gdc, not a token card that may or may or may not even work.

The only reason the Titan X was announced now was to take some of the hype train away from the 390X. The point of the Titan X has always conflicted with their advertising where they make it out to be a gaming product but it has many many many more applications twords GPGPU.

These products aren't meant to compete with each other. But if it is a full GM200 die and that means it has 96 ROPS they should go toe to toe with each other if all rumors are true.

I'd really like to use that Titan but I'm guessing it will be easily $1500.

$1,000 plus gpus are not realistic, even for enthusiasts like us.

Will the Titan X be as powerful as 2 980s in crossfire? Absolutely not. Now, if they charges $750, maybe more people would buy it.

Will the Titan X be as powerful as 2 980s in crossfire? Absolutely not. Now, if they charges $750, maybe more people would buy it.

These are limited core releases. Originally Nvidia only allowed single sale purchases of Titan based cards but I think they are going to allow 2 purchases this time if they are single GPU cards.

Those halo GPU's are almost annoying. By the time they are somewhat affordable, they are lacking something compared to the mainstream, not enough ram, no support for some new technology, etc. I'm happy for those that can afford to enjoy them but I can't help thinking the RnD could have been spent better elsewhere for 95% of the customer base.

Do these companies typically announce new products at GDC anyway?

The whole Titan X unveiling looked like a spur of the moment thing, rather than an actual planned event. No specs, no price, no release date.

The whole Titan X unveiling looked like a spur of the moment thing, rather than an actual planned event. No specs, no price, no release date.

No, GDC isn't a place for Hardware. It was a jab to steal some light away from the impending 390X announcement.

The Titan X announcement was likely to garner some hype/interest for GTC in 2 weeks. They will likely release the whitepaper there and talk about some of the new compute features and a pretty high-level overview of the architecture.

But new cards are not "launched" at industry events. The "launch" tends to get lost with all the other news. They tend to launch at their own events, so they can control everything and make sure everyone they want is there.
Fake Fermi was first announced at GTC, which turned out to be an announcement of an announcement of an announcement, and definitely wasn't Nvidia's finest hour.

No, GDC isn't a place for Hardware. It was a jab to steal some light away from the impending 390X announcement.

Who will actually pay £1200 for a single graphics card, I don't know anyone that would.. It will be worth £200 in a few years... You would have to be super rich or mad to spend that on a graphics card. Why do nvidia always jump from £450 to £1000+ its idiotic.

Who will actually pay £1200 for a single graphics card, I don't know anyone that would.. It will be worth £200 in a few years... You would have to be super rich or mad to spend that on a graphics card. Why do nvidia always jump from £450 to £1000+ its idiotic.

While this card will be a killer gaming performer it will also be great for GPGPU work as well. High precision cards are worth A LOT and this will be worth the price.

These are usually big sellers, both professional and gamers buy them.

While this card will be a killer gaming performer it will also be great for GPGPU work as well. High precision cards are worth A LOT and this will be worth the price.

These are usually big sellers, both professional and gamers buy them.

Why can't they just release it at lower price though like AMD, for example gtx 970 £200, GTX 980 £300, GTX titan £400.... I bet they could sell at those prices and still make money.

Back