390X coming soon few weeks

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by EagleOne, Jan 13, 2015.

1. TaintedSquirrel

TaintedSquirrel [H]ardForum Junkie

AMD panels are done, looks like no announcement!
    See you guys in June with my shiny new GTX 980 Ti. Too bad, so sad.

2. Cr4ckm0nk3y

Cr4ckm0nk3y Gawd

Too bad that seems to be all AMD has. :D

j/k, Su was left with a hell of a mountain to climb. That being said she needs to be more visual and make actual appearances like CEO's do. Didn't see a single photo of her at GDC.

From Kitguru and other gossip type sites it looks like AMD is waiting till Computex to announce the refresh.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  3. TaintedSquirrel

Fiji is a refresh now, eh.
    I guess Nvidia just finished announcing their Titan X refresh.

4. Digital Viper-X-

Digital Viper-X- [H]ardForum Junkie

lol, people get so emotional about this stuff!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. Nicholars

Nicholars Gawd

So that will be june when its announced.... Prob July before the AMD version is released... Another month for any aftermarket coolers probably... another 5% market share lost to nvidia from people bored waiting and buying a 980 probably.

6. LordEC911

LordEC911 [H]ard|Gawd

A June/July release is just sandbagging.

7. ChronoDetector

ChronoDetector 2[H]4U

I was really hoping to get a 390x soon, seems like I'll get the Titan X now because June is too far away.

8. Ramses

Ramses [H]ardness Supreme

So if the 390x replaces the 290x, why would it compete with the Titan X?

9. TaintedSquirrel

The 290X competed with the original Titan. But AMD came ~9 months after.
    The 295X2 competed with the Titan Z.

If your budget allows a $1,300 Titan then it sounds like you were hoping to buy two 390X's.

10. Ramses

Ramses [H]ardness Supreme

Hell I didn't know the 290x was supposed to be Titan level, didn't think they had a crazy thousand dollar halo card other than the 295x2. Or a pair of 290x's if you were sane lol....

11. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

JPR already released market share figures a long time ago, maybe you missed it? Take a look:

[​IMG]

And that's Q4 2014 which was months ago and that's why I surmised them being near 20% at this point. AMD is shedding market share at an unprecedented rate and not showing something at a show where everyone is currently focused was a big mistake. Their executives are admitting they are at historical lows which is reflected by the JPR graph above. If you look at their trends the last 10 years, they were near the 35% range until recently. In fact to make matters worse, NVIDIA now has a bigger GPU market than AMD overall (this includes AMD APUs factored into the equation):

[​IMG]

12. filip

filip [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah this is a crying shame, AMD needs to get it together or these may be some of the last nails.

13. rinaldo00

rinaldo00 [H]ard|Gawd

What happened to the huge announcement the Stardock CEO talked about?

14. tybert7

tybert7 2[H]4U

15. shadow85

shadow85 Limp Gawd

Im sure wars have started over less.

16. ebduncan

ebduncan [H]ard|Gawd

that announcement was for e3 not GDC.

I bet you AMD will release their new cards at either E3 or Computex. It won't just be the 390x and 390, but likely a whole new series of cards with some possible rebrands.

and the 390x was used in the demos at GDC. It wasn't announced, but it was there hiding behind the walls of a case spitting out from VR demos and such.

17. harmattan

harmattan [H]ardness Supreme

So we're back to the June Computex date we knew about months ago. Par for the course in these threads for a couple posters to read too much into an ultra-vague "leak", then 15 other people jump on the optimism bandwagon e.g. the guy that keeps posting "it's happening...". That said, you can't blame people for being optimistic, especially with AMD marketing in overdrive trying to keep interest up by planting information, paying shills, and sites like FUD and WFFC regurgitating it for clicks.

18. Darakian

Darakian [H]ardness Supreme

Look on the bright side. If AMD is sandbagging here then we should get a hard launch in june.

19. Flopper

Flopper [H]ard|Gawd

You look strangely at my wife!
    (what?)
    I kill you now!
    (What?)
    haha
    (dead)

Yea sadly so.

BUT now we have something to distract us until its out the new King of the hill from AMD.

20. Laureolus

Laureolus Limp Gawd

21. fixedmy7970

fixedmy7970 Gawd

hey! the 395x2 is epic

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  22. TaintedSquirrel

That doesn't stop anyone else around here.

23. SoulCreatr

SoulCreatr Limp Gawd

I saw that report with big headlines and crap graphs made to lure you into paying for their full report. They gave you a basic abstract that does not tell everything, but is enough to wet your appetite and make you pay for everything (similar to science/medical journals do if you cruise PubMed or other). That first chart is market share or shipments? It is horribly labeled and I am guessing it is supposed to be shipments(?). Also how are they actually measuring market share? If you are going to use this as fact then please provide all the info or you are just reading their headline without any support whatsoever. Steam is pretty clear where they get their numbers, but they will not have non-gaming machines (think more corporate...but how many of those have dGPU?).

I expect NV to be higher in Q4, they had a product release! I bet Apple's shipping and market share rises during their product releases too, and most other tech giants. What about this is new or telling? This is why you try not to let competitor releases go unanswered (AMD has failed here with 970/980).

Actually if you read their past reports AMD up in Q1 and Q2 (Q1 2014, Q2 2014). I cannot find their Q3 report. They are not clear on where they get their numbers from either, but I am guessing on shareholder meetings however that is not explicitly stated that I can find. A clear yearly report would be much better guide in this area, one that explicitly states what metrics they are using to measure market share, as shipments can be gleaned from shareholder meetings usually.

I agree AMD market share will decrease over time, but it should be judged in an accurate way over the course of a year not a quarter. Especially a Q4 with a competitors new product release....this I feel AMD messed up skipping a release for the holidays. People have been predicting AMD's demise for a decade or more now (how old is PRIME? Probably that long), but it hasn't happened yet. Are they rolling in dough? No. I think they still have a few tricks up their sleeve but they are getting backed into a corner if they do not get a product out before Q3 starts. NV or AMD I could care less about, what I do not want is a 1 horse race. Most people will buy the better performance/$$$ in the end anyways.

24. Tanquen

Tanquen Gawd

Well if you look at what folks are really using on something like Steam its:

51% Nvidia
    28% AMD
    19% Intel

What about consoles?

25. TaintedSquirrel

AMD owns 100% of the console market share, something nobody here cares about.

26. Xinmosni

Xinmosni [H]ard|Gawd

I care about this and was kinda waiting for someone else to notice, but mentioning this does little for the fanboys who want to focus on whatever makes things seem good on their end.

I try to be objective, but reading some of these comments is like watching Faux News, where the anchors and their writers pick apart data and filter only what they want into the conversation so that they have an argumentative advantage. I guess that works... unless your audience has brains enough to read everything and see through your BS? But I won't name names (or numbers) here :D

27. TaintedSquirrel

I'm sure somebody can dig up AMD's financials that show them deep in the red, meanwhile Intel and Nvidia are doing pretty well. I assume their profits from console sales would be factored into those.

Acting like AMD's console sales will save their company reminds me of this picture:

[​IMG]

28. Hurin

Hurin 2[H]4U

It's adorable that you don't think every news organization does this.

How about we leave the politics out of computer hardware discussions?

29. Cr4ckm0nk3y

Cr4ckm0nk3y Gawd

Here is last quarters posting on the news page:
    http://www.hardocp.com/news/2015/01/21/amd_reports_2014_fourth_quarter_annual_results#.VPn7rPnF_Co

Discussion:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1849461&highlight=amd+quarter

Custom silicon might help AMD but it won't be long lasting. Same thing we saw with NV when they had consoles. It is good for a burst of profit but isn't for the long haul. You need to keep getting custom silicon orders to make it a profit center.

AMD needs to get a bigger market share in CPU's and GPU's which requires kick ass products that a majority of gamers/PC owners want to buy. If you build it they will come.

30. shadow85

shadow85 Limp Gawd

Is your wife hot?
    Lol

31. LordEC911

LordEC911 [H]ard|Gawd

Not long lasting? A minimum 4-5 year revenue stream that is guaranteed to be profitable, even though low margin, is exactly the lower layer business they want.

32. Remon

Remon Limp Gawd

BS. AMD needs a better army of fans/PR people hyping them.

33. Cr4ckm0nk3y

Cr4ckm0nk3y Gawd

It's an ever decreasing revenue stream over those 4-5 years. So yes, the profits they see now won't last long. It will get smaller and smaller over the next 4-5 years.

What they need to do is stop the bleeds and get a constant growing revenue. Not band-aids.

34. LordEC911

LordEC911 [H]ard|Gawd

Until they do a shrink... still a revenue stream is a revenue stream.
    Guaranteed profits is never a bad thing.

35. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

They tried that route and fell flat on their faces. Bulldozer.

36. durquavian

durquavian Gawd

I wish it was that simple. The OEMs are in Intels back pocket and the media is too in love with Nvidia (easily seen with the 970). AMD needs to make it happen, as in get a partner and build it yourself.

37. Starrbuck

Starrbuck 2[H]4U

Also I do not believe there is much profit in the big console deals. They're mass produced for pennies on the dollar profit.

38. LordEC911

LordEC911 [H]ard|Gawd

Margins were around 10%. They will be able to decrease cost over time and improve margins. Both consoles combined should reach +100million sold, eventually.

39. durquavian

durquavian Gawd

That and in business it isn't always about profit. It is better to be selling something keeping an exchange of money rather than sit and wait for higher margins. Typical business.

40. Starrbuck

Starrbuck 2[H]4U

I'm sure AMD's shareholders are pleased as punch.