Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I thought it was a fun read.1st page of info, then the p*ssing contest begins.
I don't think ATI have too much choice in regards to pricing. If they have high prices then they will look as bad as nvidia and I don't think they will make the same mistake.
Fuck it, I'm talking apples and you're talking oranges. I'm not going to bother arguing with you any more since what you're saying has very little to do with what I'm talking about.
No, the only reason they are a multiple of each other is because they are both binary numbers!!!!!!!
There is no direct correlation between bit width and memory amount, sorry if I have said something to indicate that or seemed to be in agreement with other posters.
Memory bus and the speed of the memory is what is actually of importance, these two determine the bandwidth of the memory system.
If you require the gpu to be fed with data at a certain rate then you need a certain bandwidth, ie you need the data to be pushed odwn a certain number of paths at a certain speed.
Memory size is nothing to do necessarily with the bus width, it is to do with the amount need to store locally all the information needed for the gpu to process a frame quickly. Again, large amounts of memory which does not have the bandwidth will create a bottleneck so that is why you either have to increase the speed of the ram or the bandwidth when using high amounf of memory other wise it is a gimmick like all those 1GB 9500gt's with 128 bit bus's.
I ain't lying here, just think about this logically.
Since it is easier and less expensive to keep all the chips on a card at the same density value, I have yet to see a video card where the amount of RAM was not a multiple of the bus width that doubled the amount of RAM.
A 256-bit bus card was always configured with 256MB, 512MB (256 * 2) or 1GB (256 * 4). nVidia's 8xxx series were the same way. The 320-bit bus cards were available with 320MB or 640MB of RAM.
If this card has a 384-bit bus it is likely to come configured with 768MB of RAM, or 1536MB, simply because of the density values in which RAM modules are created, and the desire not to mix RAM types on the card.
or they could use higher density chips and leave some of the bits disconnected to acheive 384-bits and effectively limit RAM size to 1152.
How so? They purchase more of the same chips and thus get a bulk discount?
They already buy enough chips that they are getting as much of a discount as they are going to get. Also, using more chips is still more expensive that just not needing them at all.
Just look at the RAM in your computer. The bus is only 64-bits wide, so in theory memory modules could increase in increments of 64, but they don't. Modules have always doubled in size to keep module density and bit values constant. From as far back as using SIMMs, let alone DIMMs, modules size have increased at a size double that of the previous sized modules.
1MB, 2MB, 4MB, 8MB, 16MB, 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, etc.
From a cost and quality standpoint, as well as historic standpoint, you can just about say with assurance that a 384-bit card will have 768MB or 1536MB.
now how would anybody possibly know that at this point? the 4770 was a last minute card to basically test out the 40nm process.Alittle side question. Will there be a HD 5770?
now how would anybody possibly know that at this point? the 4770 was a last minute card to basically test out the 40nm process.
Why not go for the 5850/70 ???
well the 5670 will likely be around 100 bucks and I am guessing it should be around the same performance as the 4770.Because the 4770 was cheap.
5850 is going to be over 250 dollars if i'm not mistaken.
so no 5870x2? also those prices dont make a whole lot of sense. I certainly wouldnt try to guess at the prices especially considering we dont even know what cards will actually come out.Here are my guessstimates for pricing on release.
5890 $499
5870 $349
5850 $199
5690 $175
5670 $125
5650 $99
4890 $150
4870 $100
4850 $75
Why the hell would there be a 5890, that makes no sense. The 4890 like the 770 were oddities, not part of normal practice.
So why would it be coming out at the same time and higher priced?
Most later cards come out and replace something, the most recent I can think of was the x1950 series although there might be more recent but still, no reason to predict something that probably won't exist and certaintly won't be priced like that.
well considering the 4870 came out at $299 thats likely to be the minimum msrp we will see for a 5870.The 5870 at $250 seems more realistic to me. ATI probably wants to keep using descent price points to attract customers, and keep gaining market share I would guess.
well the 5670 will likely be around 100 bucks and I am guessing it should be around the same performance as the 4770.
I guarantee that will not happen.My guess is that a "5870" model would be no more than $229.99 MSRP at release.
they still have a lot of money and time invested in the new cards so they certainly will not cost less. also with no direct competition at release why would they sell them at cheaper than the last gen cards were?The reason I think pricing will be less is that with a smaller 40nm GPU ATI can save money on production costs and possibly pass the savings to their growing market for domination over NVIDIA and all other competitors.