• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

384-bit Memory Interface for HD5000-series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
they still have a lot of money and time invested in the new cards so they certainly will not cost less. also with no direct competition at release why would they sell them at cheaper than the last gen cards were?



To make a decent profit, build good will and gain more loyal customers for total market domination for greater profits in the long run.
 
To make a decent profit, build good will and gain more loyal customers for total market domination for greater profits in the long run.
thats a nice theory and all but the cards will certainly not be cheaper than the 4000 series. a 5870 will certainly fetch as much as the 4870 did at launch and if anything that sounds like a fair price to me.
 
thats a nice theory and all but the cards will certainly not be cheaper than the 4000 series. a 5870 will certainly fetch as much as the 4870 did at launch and if anything that sounds like a fair price to me.

if it does I may be buying a card next month :D. unless the green team has something up their sleeves and are launching quicker then I think.
 
Here are my guesses for the pricing, pretty much the same as the 48xx series.

5850 - $199
5870 - $299
5870X2 - $549

I would say you are close unless AMD's plan is to place these cards high until Nvidia is getting ready to launch it's new card and then slash the prices.
 
they still have a lot of money and time invested in the new cards so they certainly will not cost less. also with no direct competition at release why would they sell them at cheaper than the last gen cards were?

Agreed. 5870 will be the FASTEST game in town. There's no way they will cost less. I am thinking they will be price pointed just above the gtx 285. So $349 for the 5870 is a good estimate. The value 5850 will be gimped in some serious way but a 512MB or equivalent model will probably still be faster than current gen and priced around $199 to compete in the midrange video card market. I'll be curious to see if 4890 prices drop.
 
Agreed. 5870 will be the FASTEST game in town. There's no way they will cost less. I am thinking they will be price pointed just above the gtx 285. So $349 for the 5870 is a good estimate. The value 5850 will be gimped in some serious way but a 512MB or equivalent model will probably still be faster than current gen and priced around $199 to compete in the midrange video card market. I'll be curious to see if 4890 prices drop.


No way will the 5870 be priced at 349. I bet it will be 299 or slightly under 349 making it 299 with mail in rebates. ATI/AMD is going to undercut Nvidia the same way they did with the 4000's series.
 
I'm thinking the 5870 will be 249-299

I think that's hopeful, currently if the 5870 performs at 1.5x the 4890, then it would put slightly below the 4870x2 / gtx 295, a pair of these cards destroying just about anything out there.

ATI will basically have a full array of products to fill and dominate every segment of the market. from the 5870x2 down to the 4770.

If they do get the 5800 series right, for once since the introduction of the 2900, ATI will actually have usable cards from 2 generations. Regardless of how great the 5800 series is, the 4800 series are still great and the 4890 is currently priced fairly aggressively at the 4890 and below
4770 ~ $100
4870 ~ $150
4890 ~ $200
5850 ~ $250
5870 ~ $300
5890 ~ $350
4870x2 ~ $400
5850x2 ~ $450
5870x2 ~ $499

they could dominate in $50 increments :p
all speculation at this point ^^
 
Last edited:
I think that's hopeful, currently if the 5870 performs at 1.5x the 4890, then it would put slightly below the 4870x2 / gtx 295, a pair of these cards destroying just about anything out there.

ATI will basically have a full array of products to fill and dominate every segment of the market. from the 5870x2 down to the 4770.

If they do get the 5800 series right, for once since the introduction of the 2900, ATI will actually have usable cards from 2 generations. Regardless of how great the 5800 series is, the 4800 series are still great and the 4890 is currently priced fairly aggressively at the 4890 and below
4770 ~ $100
4870 ~ $150
4890 ~ $200
5850 ~ $250
5870 ~ $300
5890 ~ $350
4870x2 ~ $400
5850x2 ~ $450
5870x2 ~ $499

they could dominate in $50 increments :p
all speculation at this point ^^

You're leaving out the budget 5600 series. Like I said, I don't see any reason for ATI to price themselves under Nvidia when they have BETTER performing cards.

Also ATI has never priced their X2 cards at less than the price of two single cards. Look at the 4850x2 and 4870x2. Both retailed for more than twice the cost of two individual 4850s and 4870s respectively.

Perhaps this kind of lineup is more likely:

5850 $249 5650 $149
5870 $349 5670 $199
5890 $449

5850x2 $499
5870x2 $699
.
 
You're leaving out the budget 5600 series. Like I said, I don't see any reason for ATI to price themselves under Nvidia when they have BETTER performing cards.

Also ATI has never priced their X2 cards at less than the price of two single cards. Look at the 4850x2 and 4870x2. Both retailed for more than twice the cost of two individual 4850s and 4870s respectively.

Perhaps this kind of lineup is more likely:

5850 $249 5650 $149
5870 $349 5670 $199
5890 $449

5850x2 $499
5870x2 $699
.

I'm pretty sure the 4870 launched @ 299 and 4870x2 was $499
 
Yeah if a 4870x2 will outperform (in theory) a 5870x1 then I don't see how AMD would price the card much more than $300 on launch. I see the 4870x2 going for $369 on newegg now. Also when the 4870 launched, the 3870x2 was how much? I think the 3870x2 was over $400 on the 4870/512 launch.

The only good reason I can think of why the 5870 will be $350 or more is due to inflation pressures because of the bailouts and federal 'stimulus', not actual production costs. But that would likely affect all of ATI's cards, not just the 5870. So the best guess is lower than the 4870x2 but higher than the 4890.
 
Last edited:
MY GUESTIMATE:

5670 $187.93 (performance equal to twenty 6800 ultras in crossfire)
5870 $2000.00 (performance equal to seventy four X1900XT-PE in SLI)
5870x2 $asmallchild (performance equal to two times jesus christ himself pushing pixels in crossfire)

there you have it... now you can end this abortion of a thread.
 
The only good reason I can think of why the 5870 will be $350 or more is due to inflation pressures because of the bailouts and federal 'stimulus', not actual production costs. But that would likely affect all of ATI's cards, not just the 5870. So the best guess is lower than the 4870x2 but higher than the 4890.

btw this is not a good reason and you're dumb for even considering it.
 
MY GUESTIMATE:

5670 $187.93 (performance equal to twenty 6800 ultras in crossfire)
5870 $2000.00 (performance equal to seventy four X1900XT-PE in SLI)
5870x2 $asmallchild (performance equal to two times jesus christ himself pushing pixels in crossfire)

there you have it... now you can end this abortion of a thread.

It's not your thread. You're not a mod. Get a life.
 
Thanks for the input chief, but how does the irony of telling someone they're "not a mod" while at the same time trying to backseat mod taste? Delicious I bet.

1245645651923.jpg


:D
 
wait, I take it back, I think the 5870 is going to be on par or better then the 4870x2, so I'd say the pricing changes, or the x2 disappears
 
Thanks for the input chief, but how does the irony of telling someone they're "not a mod" while at the same time trying to backseat mod taste? Delicious I bet.

I'm not trying to backseat mod. I'm telling you my honest opinion of your post. If I wanted to mod I'd just report the post.
 
I'm not trying to backseat mod. I'm telling you my honest opinion of your post. If I wanted to mod I'd just report the post.

Then that's what you should probably go ahead and do since defending the honor of a nerd circle jerk means so much to you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top