360 controller games needed

crankypsp

Limp Gawd
Been staying at my family's home for the summer and I recently built an htpc for my mother to watch shows on the living room tv. I also decided up a controller and have been trying to play games on it but I can't seem to find many games to enjoy with the controller. Are there any good games that come to mind?

btw I'm running on a meager a6 3500 apu with the integrated 6530d graphics. I don't expect to be able to play at full maxed 1080p settings, but I would like to play games that do look and run great on lower end hardware such as mine. To give some ideas as to what games I could possibly run i'll list what settings I've tried for some games.

So far I've tried:
Grid (runs nicely at 40fps 1680x1050 maxed no AA)
splinter cell: conviction (had to lower the res quite a bit but it was very playable)
dead space 2 (ran nicely at medium settings 720p)
skyrim (low settings but still looks great)
Crysis 2 (VERY LOW settings, but looks great still at a constant 30fps)
Assassins creed 1 (medium settings at 720p at 30fps)

nfs: the run, and nfs shift 2 ran like crap.

I've already thought of batman and bioshock, but they don't really appeal to me. I did like assassins creed, but it felt very repetitive. Unless the series did change up a little bit now, please dont recommend any of them. I did really like playing splinter cell though. If there are any third person story driven games I would like those alot with the controller.

SNES, GBA, and N64 emulators(gamecube emulation is probably out of the question). Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Witcher 2 but that might not be playable.

Darksiders, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (the first one, not the second one, the second one is shit).

EDIT: Also Space Marine. Space Marine is one of those games that's probably better with a mouse and keyboard since you do need to aim in shooting sections, but you'll probably manage ok with a controller, the hand to hand combat is good with a controller and you can enable auto-aim for the shooting sections (though don't expect to get too many headshots with auto-aim on which will probably make you use more ammo and might make the tougher enemies harder, I pretty much exclusively aimed for the head).

Last edited:
Seems like most games have 360 controller support now. Looking at a few games on my desk, try Dirt 2 and 3, The Witcher 2, Mafia 2, GTA4, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and Arcania Gothic 4.

Almost every console-to-PC port will support the 360 controller (wired & wireless).

Almost every console-to-PC port will support the 360 controller (wired & wireless).

This.

As far as specific titles not listed already, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, and Devil May Cry 4? Also "Need For Speed Hot Pursuit" (the 2010 one) might run well on low settings.

Track Mania Untied works with the 360 controller. Not my type of game, but I have it and it works with the controller.

jNES works with it (Nintendo entertainment center)
Project 64 (Nintedo 64)
Dolphin works with it (gamecube/wii)

Those are the only emulators I've used recently that I know work with my controller. I've used a GBA emulator before as well, but I can't remember which one.

I think Dirt 2 works with it as well, the demo did at least I think.

alot of source games work with a xbox controller. like hl2, its hella hard but it works lol.

do any of the emulators support local mutiplayer? as in would they work if i plugged in multiple controllers?

do any of the emulators support local mutiplayer? as in would they work if i plugged in multiple controllers?

nes snes n64 gamecube emulators all work. both wireless and wired xbox 360 controllers works. you just have to bind the keys.

I did like assassins creed, but it felt very repetitive. Unless the series did change up a little bit now, please dont recommend any of them.

The first Assassins Creed was horribly repetitive. It was basically just one mission repeated 9 times in different locations. The later three games are absolutely not like that. I beat the first one only to say I did. All the others I genuinely enjoyed start to finish. They really fleshed out the story, and the missions are way more varied. They introduced things like an an economy system and a home (sorta). The main character develops relationships with people and has a mind of his own instead of just being a drone and doing what your told. So... seriously... if you enjoyed the concept of the first one and just got bored, try the others. I think you will be glad you did. Assassins Creed II was my favorite of them all, and it laid the foundation for most of the major improvements made to the series. I say pick if up cheap, and if you find you enjoy it more, then go get the two newer titles.

Other games to try: Darksiders (should run well), Sonic Generations, Sonic 4 Ep1 and Ep2 (short, but real fun if you like classic sonic), Trine 1 & 2 (gorgeous games, but will probably still run good), Rayman Origins... and you may want to look for some indy platformers too, like Super Meat Boy or Limbo.

Last edited:
The first Assassins Creed was horribly repetitive. It was basically just one mission repeated 9 times in different locations. The later three games are absolutely not like that. I beat the first one only to say I did. All the others I genuinely enjoyed start to finish. They really fleshed out the story, and the missions are way more varied. They introduced things like an an economy system and a home (sorta). The main character develops relationships with people and has a mind of his own instead of just being a drone and doing what your told. So... seriously... if you enjoyed the concept of the first one and just got bored, try the others. I think you will be glad you did. Assassins Creed II was my favorite of them all, and it laid the foundation for most of the major improvements made to the series. I say pick if up cheap, and if you find you enjoy it more, then go get the two newer titles.

Other games to try: Darksiders (should run well), Sonic Generations, Sonic 4 Ep1 and Ep2 (short, but real fun if you like classic sonic), Trine 1 & 2 (gorgeous games, but will probably still run good), Rayman Origins... and you may want to look for some indy platformers too, like Super Meat Boy or Limbo.

Will definitely look into AC2 then. By any chance is it any more graphically intensive than the first? My htpc already struggles enough with AC1.

So far I've got Bully, and sonic and theyre great! will take a look at others when I get the time

Will definitely look into AC2 then. By any chance is it any more graphically intensive than the first? My htpc already struggles enough with AC1.

So far I've got Bully, and sonic and theyre great! will take a look at others when I get the time

same engine as the first. might be a little more intensive i cant imagine by much as the visuals dont look far apart imo

Burnout Paradise.

This is *excellent*, I think you'll be able to run it just fine. Also I second the Darksiders series - they're less 'pick up and play' than something like Burnout or Trackmania, but both excellent games. Should run reasonably well on older hardware.

Edit: what about the trine and prince of persia series? Some of the older GTA games like San Andreas? Bastion?

All the recent Rockstar games, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Bioshock.

Action/platform games such as Devil May Cry 4 and Ninja Blade have native xbox 360 controller support, as do the Assassin's Creed games. The older Prince of Persia games might run better on your system (I'm playing Warrior Within with an xbox 360 controller just fine), as well as the LEGO series (Batman, Star Wars, etc.). Most newer racing games support the xbox 360 controller, such as the Need for Speed games and Burnout Paradise, as already mentioned.

Pretty much all of them do. When multiple controllers are plugged in, you designate which controller is P1, P2, P3, P4 in the configuration. You can also use KB/M w/ controller as well.

everything mentioned plus these (I have and am/are going to play):

Driver: San Francisco (i just finished it last night, wasn't too bad.
LA Noir (about to play after this post)
Bully
Any of the Tomb Raider games but esp. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (less TR like)
GTA 4
Ghostbusters (not that good though)
Mafia II
Super Meat Boy
Zombie Driver
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Hydrophobia
Prototype
A Valley Without Wind (Awesome procedurally generated world platformer/side scroller game)
Trackmania United Forever

All of these are on Steam and usually go on sale at some point since that's how I got them.

Back