34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Well, my LG has went into deep sleep/power saving mode twice now and wouldn't wake back up without a reboot. Just a black screen and the light near the power button stayed on. Going to search the thread - most likely a known issue. :|

Well, my LG has went into deep sleep/power saving mode twice now and wouldn't wake back up without a reboot. Just a black screen and the light near the power button stayed on. Going to search the thread - most likely a known issue. :|

Couple things to try, in order of difficulty..

Make sure the monitor's automatic standby is still disabled in the settings menu; Change back to DisplayPort 1.1 in the settings menu (1.2=disabled, if you've changed that); change to a different DisplayPort connection on the back (see this post); use a different cable (first try the included LG cable if you're using something else); try connecting over HDMI with a custom resolution set to 60Hz using an HDMI 2.0 card (970/980).

Just some ideas.. good luck :)

Happens to me now-and-again. Turning the monitor off and back on solves it for me.

Question here guys,

Anyone used both a straight and curved model? Which did you prefer and why? I really want to grab one of these 21:9s, but I had my eye set on a DELL version of the original flat LG model, but the DELL one turned out to be curved. I know it is great for movies and such, but I have heard reports from some people that for workflows, such as photoshop work and so on, the curves can actually distort and confuse your view. If this is true in practice, then I'd rather play it safe. It is a shame if so, because I would really prefer the DELL warranty over the LG.

Question here guys,

Anyone used both a straight and curved model? Which did you prefer and why? I really want to grab one of these 21:9s, but I had my eye set on a DELL version of the original flat LG model, but the DELL one turned out to be curved. I know it is great for movies and such, but I have heard reports from some people that for workflows, such as photoshop work and so on, the curves can actually distort and confuse your view. If this is true in practice, then I'd rather play it safe. It is a shame if so, because I would really prefer the DELL warranty over the LG.

Buy from Costco- warranty problem solved.

Question here guys,

My friend bought the curved Dell for productivity, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Corel, InDesign, etc... He does Book Cover deisgn, book layout, print ads, and he loves the screen.
He hasn't mentioned anything about distorting his view or what not.
I haven't been over to see it in person yet.
I have the LG flat one and I love it, I wanted the Dell curved but couldn't afford it, couldn't really afford this one either.

Buy from Costco- warranty problem solved.

From the UK, dunno if that's an option. :p

My friend bought the curved Dell for productivity, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Corel, InDesign, etc... He does Book Cover deisgn, book layout, print ads, and he loves the screen.
I have the LG flat one and I love it, I wanted the Dell curved but couldn't afford it, couldn't really afford this one either.

Ah, that's good to hear at least! LG one may look good, but it looks like there are so much hardware issues with them that I'd be better off with the DELL then, good to hear that the curve isn't any distraction.

From the UK, dunno if that's an option. :p

Ah, that's good to hear at least! LG one may look good, but it looks like there are so much hardware issues with them that I'd be better off with the DELL then, good to hear that the curve isn't any distraction.

The 34" is massive in person, I was overwhelmed when we pulled it out of the box and put it on my desk.

The 34" is massive in person, I was overwhelmed when we pulled it out of the box and put it on my desk.

I can imagine! I'm currently using 2x U2713HM, one on top of the other, so with the price being so high, if I got one it would replace my bottom monitor. I was just deciding if I should wait for a revision of LGs flat panel (with the freesync, or the AOC one) or just go screw it and get the curved, since it seems they are all going that way and quickly abandoning the flat panel.

I have the LG 34" what is everyone using as their 2nd monitor with it? Something just for browsing the net etc

I have the LG 34" what is everyone using as their 2nd monitor with it? Something just for browsing the net etc

I am also curious on this, looking for a good secondary monitor that matches closer with the LG. But I also do not want to spend a lot, since it will only be for a secondary display.

I am currently running an old 1920x1200 dell ips next to it. It matches up better than my 1080p 24" due to the shape. I plan on getting a korean IPS 27" 1440p to replace it as soon as I find one without god aweful bezels.

Just running what I had before the LG, Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM in portrait. It's not a good match.

I am currently running an old 1920x1200 dell ips next to it. It matches up better than my 1080p 24" due to the shape. I plan on getting a korean IPS 27" 1440p to replace it as soon as I find one without god aweful bezels.

Buy a qnix and debezel it. I have two that i debezelled

I was looking at the Korean IPS as an option, I would like it to at least match the height at 27in. An IPS panel would be even better, but I was trying to keep the cost under $200.

I have the 120hz Benq XL2402TX as my secondary. Works great for FPS's, where I need those extra frames.

Any other opinions about the flat vs curved would be most appreciated as well!

As for me, when I do get either or, I'm going to have the 21:9 as the bottom monitor and keep one of my 27" monitors above it, on a vertical pole mount.

What's a good mount for the LG 34um95 that you can use on a desk with a glass top? I need a mount with a regular stand as I can't drill or clamp on the glass.

This is my LG 34UM95-P

i have taken some photos (galaxy s4) camera exaggerates the bleed, the right corner isn't noticeable to me but the right corner is/was at first it bothered me probably because i was reading what other people posted and seeing their pictures of the monitor but i see it less and less now that im using it day to day, i do not see it when playing games or doing things on the desktop, sometimes it catches my eyes in dark movie scenes but as i said im noticing it less and less, this is my first IPS display and im getting used to the ips glow, i have 2 more TN displays(i think they are), picture is way better then on the 2 TN panels, i have been using it for about 6 days it is a great experience, games look amazing

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/s4spnwzk9y0mrhx/AAA_H-XDNmxUHbOwY8UatcnMa

Light bleed looks pretty bad.. is it a common problem?

Would you guys still recommend the LG?

Light bleed looks pretty bad.. is it a common problem?

Would you guys still recommend the LG?

That's IPS glow, and mine looks pretty much like that. It's very common with these panels, but it's only noticeable on black or dark scenes/images. I find it highly annoying at times, but have mostly grown used to it.

Due to this alone, I would only recommend the LG if you get a killer deal ($750 is the lowest I've seen). Awesome monitor, otherwise.. but it really should be priced around $600 imo.

That's IPS glow, and mine looks pretty much like that. It's very common with these panels, but it's only noticeable on black or dark scenes/images. I find it highly annoying at times, but have mostly grown used to it.

Due to this alone, I would only recommend the LG if you get a killer deal ($750 is the lowest I've seen). Awesome monitor, otherwise.. but it really should be priced around $600 imo.

Knowing what you know now would you still get it over the Philips BDM4065UC?

Knowing what you know now would you still get it over the Philips BDM4065UC?

I really do love the 21:9 aspect in a 34" at this resolution, but never really looked into larger 4k monitors much (and the Philips displays aren't being sold in the US). My only other considerations were the various 34" models and possibly doing 27" x2 instead.

If I had a little more vertical space for a 40" in my office and the GPU to power a 4k display, I probably would've looked into it more. Also, I was mindful that upscaling images and video only works to a point (720 to 1440 looks okay, but anything below that is pretty bad, and going to a 4k would only compound that problem). With those particular limitations in mind, I'd probably give the Dell U3415W a try at the right price, if I was in the market again. Otherwise, that Philips does look pretty nice for a comparable price to the LG, though.

Hi all,

I've had the 34um95 for about 2 months now, it's a wonderful display, makes me think that 22" 1080p are just puny 15" :)

It's perfect for movies and most games look fantastic, even those that go only to 2560x1440 with black bars.

However i had several problem since i got it. (all my hardware is at the bottom)
1. When i got it and connected it the top three resolutions were 3440x1440, 2560x1080, and 1920x1080, so after a couple of days of searching i found a program to add 2560x1440, so this is fixable.

2. Windows resize if the screen goes to sleep or is shut down, this went form really bad to bearable during the tweaking around and i was able to for now (about 2-3 days no problems) to eliminate it completely thanks to page 115 of this thread and a windows registry fix (basically had to delete about 50 entries for the different configurations of monitors i had connected to my pc and edit the simulated value)
This link has an explanation toward the bottom https://social.technet.microsoft.co...isplay-resizes-open-windows?forum=w7itproperf

3. This is something i could not fix or find any info about and i hope that someone here has any idea.
When the pc goes to sleep and the monitor has to go into power saving it displays the "no signal" message, then goes blank as it should, and 2-3 seconds later the message "no signal" shows again and then again goes dark and this repeated 4-5 times on my 270x until the screen goes dark but the backlight is now on. I tried with an nVidia 600 series high end card and the result was an endless loop. I got a new DP cable and another 270x form a friend to test if the problem was somewhere else, but no change. Over HDMI the behaviour is similar. I read the first half of this thread and could not find any info about such a problem, nor here nor on google. This is the last effort to fix it myself before returning it to the shop to get fixed. (i'm trying myself cause i honestly don't want to part with the thing and get back to a smaller monitor, even thou my benq xl2410t was a wonderful 120Hz display, it really looks tiny in comparison)

Cooler Master HAF 922|ASUS Sabertooth FX990 R2.0|AMD FX8350 @4GHz|CM Hyper 212 EVO + 2xCM Excalibur|2x8GB Kingston HyperX Predator @1866|Radeon R9 270X Sapphire TOXIC|2xSeagate Barracuda 2TB/1.5TB|SEASONIC SS-750КM GOLD|34" LG 34UM95|5.1 Microlab FC730

Thanks to all for any info and sorry for a really long first post

PS I'll try and get some FPS numbers for some games for people with not so powerful cards to know what they are getting into.

I'm returning my 34um95 to Amazon and getting the Swift. I have an insane amount of backlight bleed on all four corners,really really bad. I also don't want to run SLI and I'm a stickler for smooth frames. If I were just using it as a daily driver/work/media I would get another one,it looks amazing. But I play alot of PC games and want super smooth gameplay.

Just got a 34um95 in today. I picked it up through a warehouse deals from amazon. The thing is pretty much immaculate. I can't find any damage on the frame. However a small puncture in the box had me worried. It appears it got bonked at some point. There's no dead pixels that I can see, but there's a little purple smudge right of center. It only shows up on light windows. I'm gonna assume that's bad. If its something fixable, that would be great because I dig it otherwise. If not, well crud. Because I had to lug this sucker a hundred yards in the snow today and into my tiny car. That would be unpleasant to ship it back.

Pardon the wonky colors. I was futzing with the settings.

That's pretty great! How's the quality of newegg's open box items? I've only bought new from them.

I can attest that a single 290x will run games pretty good on the um95. I had one of my 290x crap out on me recently and with just one gpu the gaming is quite good considering the 3440x1440 res.

I picked up the LG 34" curved yesterday and it is by far and a way the best display I've ever owned. The size and aspect ratio are perfectly suited to a desktop. I came from the LG 29" ultrawide which was very good but the size of the 34" is wonderful on a desktop. Makes me want to buy a gaming PC again to go MMOing. I've owned a lot of displays over the years, the 30" IPS panels,27" 1080p panels etc but this is the most perfect marriage of size and aspect I've ever seen.
The curve is interesting. I wasn't sold on it until I spent a bit of time with it in the store, it's very subtle in actual use once you are in front of it and makes complete sense for the width of the viewing area. After about 5 mins the curve just kinda "melts away" completely and you are left with 34" of pure goodness.

I picked up the LG 34" curved yesterday and it is by far and a way the best display I've ever owned. The size and aspect ratio are perfectly suited to a desktop. I came from the LG 29" ultrawide which was very good but the size of the 34" is wonderful on a desktop. Makes me want to buy a gaming PC again to go MMOing. I've owned a lot of displays over the years, the 30" IPS panels,27" 1080p panels etc but this is the most perfect marriage of size and aspect I've ever seen.
The curve is interesting. I wasn't sold on it until I spent a bit of time with it in the store, it's very subtle in actual use once you are in front of it and makes complete sense for the width of the viewing area. After about 5 mins the curve just kinda "melts away" completely and you are left with 34" of pure goodness.

Nice endorsement :cool: Gonna make me wanna upgrade from my old Dell 30" :p I still play WoW casually, and that would look great on the 34"

hello! i read this entire thread before i even purchased my 34" curved. In fact, i just joined the other day just so I could give you guys my inputs...
I decided to go with the Samsung 34" curved. Based on the IPS reviews I've seen and even threads comparing IPS vs VA vs TN etc.
I can honestly say this thing is amazing. The blacks are so black, it's like AMOLED. now I thought that I had noticed refresh rate problems out of the box but that has subsides aftera couple weeks. either monitor getting broke in or the NVIDIA settings getting tweaked within windows control panel. Games are fluid and look amazing. Sometimes I will set frame limiter at 60hz just so I get no screen tearing, but there is no lag or ghosting whatsoever even with its 5ms response.

I paid a little more than the Dell, ($1299) but Amazon shipped it overnight and on a Saturday for $17 so i have no complaints. paired with a GTX 970 that shipped with it, I have a nice upgraded setup.

Like I said, no regrets going with the VA panel in the end, especially with this amazing contrast ratio and deep blacks.

Hi guys so I just got my U3415W (A01) in and love it but... does anyone else's monitor make a slight buzzing noise? Its gets worse when I'm on a page like Google Images.

It seems like its coming from the Dell logo in the middle, can you guys check your monitors to see if it has the same noise?

Back