34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Sorry, details would help! :)

I'm using GTX 780 SLI on my desktop with the displayport connector.

What happens is the screen starts to go to power save mode, but then immediately wakes itself back up with some message about no connection being present. It does this over and over until you wiggle the mouse or whatever to tell Windows to turn the screen back on.

It's fine if you shut the computer down completely. I work around it by doing that and using a screensaver. It's just odd that my Macbook Retina works fine (also has an Nvidia card in it, but uses TB).

If you search this thread it was a pretty common problem. Odd thing is, when I had my first 34UM95 (before I got the 94 for cheaper with a longer warranty), I don't remember the sleep issue being present.

I just got it today. No issues here going into power save/sleep modes. Running SLI 780Ti Kingpin's with the latest drivers.

yes those 24 are in portrait mode with vesa mounting and the keyboard is a corsair K70.

Got my 34UM95 from newggs $750 deal yesterday. I have a dead pixel in the upper left hand corner and minor glow from from the bottom corners. I cant see the glow in anything other the complete dark, and since I am not a picky person it will likely not cause me to deal with exchanges through newegg. The size feels huge, but the gaming is pretty amazing.

Got my 34UM95 from newggs $750 deal yesterday. I have a dead pixel in the upper left hand corner and minor glow from from the bottom corners. I cant see the glow in anything other the complete dark, and since I am not a picky person it will likely not cause me to deal with exchanges through newegg. The size feels huge, but the gaming is pretty amazing.
That's my biggest worry is a dead pixel, and I hear that NewEgg has a horrible exchange policy in that respect (has to be at least 8 dead pixels).

To do a regular return would cost a whopping $115 + shipping cost.

I don't get mine until Monday, even though its been sitting in Houston nearby the whole time... ugh, I guess if you pick the free shipping they don't want to deliver "early" by accident.

I was thinking of something just now,

Does anyone find it odd that these monitors are 3440 x 1440 meanwhile Razor has a laptop:
http://anandtech.com/show/8951/razer-updates-the-razer-blade-with-more-ram-and-gtx-970m

and its resolution is 3200 x 1800. I am just saying it would be nice if we got a monitor that scaled a bit better too or was larger...
Not sure I get what you're saying. 1440p is a defacto "inbetween" 1080p/2160p for some time now, and I'd much rather stick with standards.

If anything, I would have just liked to see the horizontal resolution to be 3840 instead of 3440, as that way you'd basically have the common 27-30" 1440p vertical resolution with a 4K panel horizontal, so its like a 4K display with the bottom chopped off (which is advantageous on desks where you may find a 40" 4K is a bit too tall to fit comfortably at viewing height without having to move your eyes up and down a lot (compared to left to right which people generally find more comfortable to view ultra-wide than tall), and also reduces the stress on the GPU a bit missing some vertical resolution but keeping the same nice DPI.

Hopefully most games will have a proper FOV for these ultrawide screens though, so you don't end up playing with side bars.

That's my biggest worry is a dead pixel

I was worried about that too. I have pretty much have sworn off NewEgg due to their abysmal customer support. Happy to report no dead pixels in mine. Good luck!

Still trying to sort out my half-screen noise/tearing I occasionally get. Someone mentioned installing updated INFs for the screen itself. I'm not seeing any online or on the driver disc, and Update Driver Software and choosing Windows Update all report Generic PNP LCD (or whatever) is what's best.

Windows 8.1

So has anyone here actually gotten the Samsung version (S34E790C)?

I believe that one uses a VA-based panel. I can't tolerate IPS glow / backlight bleed so I rather not get the Dell or LG, but the Samsung is $1300...

I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread talk about getting the Samsung, which is unfortunate because I was quite looking forward to seeing what people thought of it compared to the curved LG and Dell. I think that price is its enemy, not release date, because IIRC it was released about the same time as the Dell so it's not like the Dell got a huge head start and everyone jumped on it out of impatience.

Several of us thought that the Samsung would be cheaper than the curved LG by the time that it came out, when in fact not only is it selling for more than some thought it would, the Dell was and is available for significantly less money if you use coupon codes and other incentives that have been mentioned in this thread. Honestly, I believe the discounted price of the Dell combined with the fact that Dell is easy to work with in terms of warranty exchanges were big reasons behind people going with it vs. the Samsung.

The product reviews for the Samsung on Amazon are generally positive but a bit of a mixed bag as well:

3 people prefer the Samsung to the flat LG after having owned or used both.
1 person prefers the Samsung to the Dell after having both (due to IPS glow on the Dell, which you have little tolerance for)
1 person loves the Samsung and it's his first and only 21:9 display
2 people prefer the flat LG to the Samsung, saying that the LG's picture quality was much better. Not sure exactly what's up there, but one person noted that the Samsung needs some adjustment out of the box so perhaps these people needed to adjust their monitor settings or they just interpreted "different" as "worse". Not sure.

Overall, reviews are positive but most people do note that it's pricey -- maybe the priciest of all the 34" curved displays at this time. If you want a VA panel in your curved 34" monitor, I think it's an easy choice over the curved (and similarly priced) 34" LG 34UC97 but you'll have to decide if it's worth the extra money over the cheaper Dell U3415W.

edit: Found something that might be helpful to you...someone did get the Samsung but rather than posting in this thread they created another one.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041346929

He seems to like it a lot! I wouldn't mind to try it as I love VA panels but I can't justify the price difference over my 34UM94. Rather get the Philips 40" 4K VA monitor for a few hundred less than the Samsung 34" curved at this point.

Last edited:
Nice photos! I love that you are using those old school Iiyama Prolite B2409HDS Good way of knowing that with its 20" (11.54" x 20.51") how it fits against the Dell. How are you liking it? That $750 price is killer didn't even see it.

Also, curious if anyone has 2 monitors and where the crosshair fits. In Dells pictures they make it seem that it does not fit in the center but slightly off center which isn't too bad. Linustech had an interesting youtube review of the LG 34UC97 but never saw him use the Dell yet for a comparison.
Not sure I get what you're saying. 1440p is a defacto "inbetween" 1080p/2160p for some time now, and I'd much rather stick with standards.
Hopefully most games will have a proper FOV for these ultrawide screens though, so you don't end up playing with side bars.

Yeah I have to agree with you on this one it would have been nicer for the vertical to be a bit more / maybe a bit more inches in the height or something along those lines. Just was comparing since instead of 1440 they had 1800, which I felt would give a bit more immersion. However, I guess that wouldn't be 21:9 then.

Here is a graph for dimension comparisons for those wondering:
Dimensions w/o stand H x W x D be curious to know the bezel size since the LG / Dell make it seem like the LG is the same just a much thicker bezel.
Dell 30" U3014 = 17.69" x 27 .15" x 2.4"
Dell 32" UP3214Q (why is it $2,499 LOL) = 17.5" x 29.5" x 2"
Dell 34" U3415W = 14.65" x 32.47" x 8.5"
LG 34UM95-P = 15.5" x 33.7" x 3.3"
LG 34UC97 = 14.6" x 32.7" x 3.9" - I am trying to see this monitor from photos it looks like it has 0 to no bezel
LG 34UM65-P = 15" x 32.7" x 3.3 (would you really go 1080p?)

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread talk about getting the Samsung, which is unfortunate because I was quite looking forward to seeing what people thought of it compared to the curved LG and Dell....

Thanks for that reply! I agree; if I could get the Phillips, it would be better and cheaper, but alas I'm in the US and I don't think I will trust a Seiki when it's released... The 21:9 form factor still intrigues me though. Maybe I'll order it from Amazon and try it out...worse case I can send it back.

I got mine yesterday from Newegg. I've never seen one in person before and this thing is massive. Pictures and video on the internet just don't show the sheer size of the monitor.
I was a bit overwhelmed when I put it on the desk and fired it up.
I have no dead pixels and just a slight backlight bleed on the top left edge of the screen.

16:9 content is fine on this screen since it is so large.
and cinemawide films look excellent,
lg-34um95.jpg

I upgraded from the 25" LG,
desk%20monitor.jpg

Those speakers are badass! I need to upgrade mine.

If you are referring to my speakers, yes, they are pretty decent.
I wanted a pair of Alesis M1 Active MK2's but didn't really want to spend $300 and found these for $150 ($75ea) on Amazon from Sam Ash. I have a pair of Alesis on my other machine and really like them, I think they are 11 or 12 years old now.

20150208_002436_1.jpg

Dusted off the old Dell 24" 1920x1200 because it fits much nicer next to the new LG compared to the wider 1080p screens. Eventually ill replace it with a 1440 27" with smaller bezels.

Who also prefers the Dell over the LG ?
The curves are so sexy on such a wide monitor... :p

1440p is much closer to 1080p than 4k.

Does anyone find it odd that these monitors are 3440 x 1440 meanwhile Razor has a laptop:
http://anandtech.com/show/8951/razer-updates-the-razer-blade-with-more-ram-and-gtx-970m

and its resolution is 3200 x 1800. I am just saying it would be nice if we got a monitor that scaled a bit better too or was larger...
It's not odd at all. 15" macbook pro has been 2880x1800 for years. And 2880x1800 has more pixels than 3440x1440.

These 34" monitors' resolution is very low by 2015 standards.

1440p is much closer to 1080p than 4k.
Well, 1620p would be the exact half-way point between 1080p and 2160p (4K), but 1440p has been the defacto sub-4K standard for some time.

This monitor is 1440p in vertical resolution, but essentially 4K in horizontal.
It's not odd at all. 15" macbook pro has been 2880x1800 for years.
Which is batshit idiotic IMO, and something only a spec-tard would get excited about.

They put such an insanely high resolution crap on our 15" Dell M4800s with 3200x1800 and everyone HATES it. There's such a thing as diminishing returns and stupid unusable DPI, and this definitely hits the retard cake.

It literally offers no advantages, and forces you to use 200% Windows scaling which has its own issues.

I'm all about 4K, but you need an appropriately huge screen. An ultra-wide of this size lets you get a 4K type of horizontal resolution with reasonable DPI without forcing you to put the bottom of your screen essentially laying on your desk to prevent the top from being too high from your viewline. The cut-off vertical resolution and size also means that you are more likely to be able to game with a nice solid 60fps with everything turned up, which is not so easily done at full 4K.

So nothing against 4K, as I was in the boat for that as well, but the 34" @ 3440x1440 is an awesome deal at $750 and couldn't be passed up. :)

Duc, did you get yours yet? Was everything ok with it? Dead pixels and backlight?

Still trying to sort out my half-screen noise/tearing I occasionally get. Someone mentioned installing updated INFs for the screen itself. I'm not seeing any online or on the driver disc, and Update Driver Software and choosing Windows Update all report Generic PNP LCD (or whatever) is what's best.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041218842&postcount=3176

There's also similar INF and ICM files on the "Owner's Manual / Driver install file" installation disc (not the "Software Program" disc) located in the \display\DRIVERS\Installation\ folder.

Really not sure what's different between the 2 sets of files, other than the names. I'm using the ones from the included disc and haven't noticed any repeated noise or tearing like you've described (though a few times, I've had the display wake up to a completely scrambled picture).

Well, 1620p would be the exact half-way point between 1080p and 2160p (4K), but 1440p has been the defacto sub-4K standard for some time.

This monitor is 1440p in vertical resolution, but essentially 4K in horizontal.

Which is batshit idiotic IMO, and something only a spec-tard would get excited about.

They put such an insanely high resolution crap on our 15" Dell M4800s with 3200x1800 and everyone HATES it. There's such a thing as diminishing returns and stupid unusable DPI, and this definitely hits the retard cake.

It literally offers no advantages, and forces you to use 200% Windows scaling which has its own issues.

I'm all about 4K, but you need an appropriately huge screen. An ultra-wide of this size lets you get a 4K type of horizontal resolution with reasonable DPI without forcing you to put the bottom of your screen essentially laying on your desk to prevent the top from being too high from your viewline. The cut-off vertical resolution and size also means that you are more likely to be able to game with a nice solid 60fps with everything turned up, which is not so easily done at full 4K.

So nothing against 4K, as I was in the boat for that as well, but the 34" @ 3440x1440 is an awesome deal at $750 and couldn't be passed up. :)

Whilst 3200x1800 seems overkill on a 15" laptop, I really like it compared to 1080p laptops. But this is said by someone editing pictures a lot and actually using the resolution. For productivity it has little advatages (maybe sharper text for compatible programs).

Well shit! Mine has very min backlight bleed. Will they exchange it?
Whats a solid technique of getting an accurate picture? I may try tonight to get opinions, and see if its just expected for an IPS panel of this length, as I notice that it seems to be minimized when I lower my head and move it to the left.

I have a VESA mount at the proper height, but it blocks the displayport connector (STUPID placement IMO), but I can just use a dremmel and easily modify my mount tonight.

So I'm using the horrible stand which is way too low for my desk, and perhaps at a proper view height like my Dell it will be better. Hmmmm...

Otherwise, I have to say the DPI is perfect for me (I can still use windows great at 100% no scaling), the aspect ratio is epicly immersive in the games that support it (I launched all my games, and some put bars on the side), its fantastic for properly sized movies, on bright scenes its beautiful, perfect for Adobe Premiere, and lastly for general multitasking its just great since its basically two 4:3 monitors side by side on splitscreen with no bezel.

Speakers are shit though as you'd expect (I use a soundbar + sub so no problem), and the more I think about it, a 40" with simply more vertical real-estate which I thought would be just too damn big would probably still work for my area.

For purposes of trying to get a replacement, I would say take a picture that shows the problem and send it in. While the pic might over emphasize the issue, if it is as bad as you say, then you need it to look bad.

Hopefully they will take care of you.

Yeah, take some photos showing the bad backlighting and send them to NewEgg or LG. Also, don't forget to try the Flawlesswidescreen app for the games. Helps some of them.

I just got it. No dead pixels. Backlight bleed like a motherfucker on the bottom left, to the point it looks orange. Yuck!!!

That doesn't sound like backlight bleed. The IPS glow on this monitor is orange. If you put your eyes directly in front of that bottom left part, the orange should go away as it is only seen at an angle. If there's still light visible in that area then it might be backlight bleed, and it should be white, not orange.

Oh, and you can also tell by pressing/pinching the bezel along the affected area. If doing this causes the light to change or go away, it's backlight bleed. Pressing on the bezel won't affect IPS glow.

That doesn't sound like backlight bleed. The IPS glow on this monitor is orange. If you put your eyes directly in front of that bottom left part, the orange should go away as it is only seen at an angle. If there's still light visible in that area then it might be backlight bleed, and it should be white, not orange.

Oh, and you can also tell by pressing/pinching the bezel along the affected area. If doing this causes the light to change or go away, it's backlight bleed. Pressing on the bezel won't affect IPS glow.
So a little bit of A and a little bit of B. I've always had IPS panels, but never noticed an orange hue like that. Part of the issue was using the crappy stand which placed the monitor well down below my eye-level, which I Have raised significantly with my VESA mount now. The remaining bit of bleed isn't that bad, and so I've decided to keep it (it does increase touching the bezel). Its more bleed than my non-LED backlit old Dell U3014 though, which is a shame as you never like to take a step backward.

Now I'm also trying to decide if I shouldn't also keep my Dell 30" as well, and mount it on the wall above my new LG, but I'm thinking that's probably just overkill, heh!

Yeah, take some photos showing the bad backlighting and send them to NewEgg or LG. Also, don't forget to try the Flawlesswidescreen app for the games. Helps some of them.
Thanks dude, going to have to try that out. Although with regard to HUDs, I have to say this ultra-wide isn't THAT wide that its that much of a problem. I had eyefinity before with three 1080p screens, and the HUDs being at corners made the games unplayable, and the fishbowl effect on the periphery monitors was just downright horrible.

But that was 5760x1080 or 5.33:1 aspect ratio, versus this which is 3440x1440 or 2.33:1.

This might help with visualizing some differences in desktop/app real-esate (and the aspect ratio).

4k_21x9_2560x-27in-and-30in_1080p_same-ppi.jpg

Quick question, I was testing out BF4 earlier tonight and the 3440x1440 resolutions only had 30hz and 50hz options. There was no 60hz option.
I am using an HDMI cable to my GTX980.
I'd swap to a DP cable but my body is no condition to stand up and move around, hips, neck, and back are killing me.

Also, can the Dell 34" ultrawide stand be used on the LG?

Last edited:
This is a limitation of HDMI. You must use DisplayPort for 60Hz at 3440x1440.

For most cards you're correct but this doesn't apply to the GTX 970 / 980 as they have HDMI 2.0 ports. You have to set a custom resolution to get 60 Hz. It's been discussed several times in the thread.

This is a limitation of HDMI. You must use DisplayPort for 60Hz at 3440x1440.
Not only that, but on a side-note just for others I think even on displayport you have to go into the menu option and actually pick Displayport 1.2, otherwise you can't daisy chain or do 60hz IIRC.

Quick question, I was testing out BF4 earlier tonight and the 3440x1440 resolutions only had 30hz and 50hz options. There was no 60hz option.
I am using an HDMI cable to my GTX980.
I'd swap to a DP cable but my body is no condition to stand up and move around, hips, neck, and back are killing me.

Also, can the Dell 34" ultrawide stand be used on the LG?

50hz is HDMI limitation with this monitor.

Either buy a DP cable OR as has been discussed, created an "unofficially supported" (but still working) custom resolution to get 60hz from HDMI.

Back