34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

I am a premier member, but the premier icon is not there for this item and the usually free 3 day shipping option costs money.

I'm wondering how returns are handled, is I hand to pay to ship back

Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy

We want to ensure your holiday shopping this year is hassle-free. That’s why we’re automatically extending our return policies on almost every product to January 31, 2015. There's nothing additional that you have to do!

Return for refund until: January 31, 2015
Return for replacement until: January 31, 2015
Restocking Fee: None
This is our Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy. Items covered by this policy (those products for which Newegg features the Iron Egg logo) must be returned to Newegg by January 31, 2015 for this policy to apply. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA.

Premier members get the following benefits:

Free 3-day-or-less shipping on qualifying products
Discounted 2-day shipping and 1-day shipping
Free returns with complimentary shipping
Restocking fees are waived on all product returns of qualifying products
Dedicated Customer Service phone number for Premier members
Eligibility for advance notice of Newegg sales and events
Eligibility for exclusive Premier member-only deals

Should be good.

Eh I maybe wrong...reading into it further and the finer print. You might have to pay shipping back to them. The "Free returns with complimentary shipping" doesn't say qualifying products, but the finer print does. Hmm...

My understanding is that the free shipping back only applies to items with the premier icon next to it. So my concern is if the backlight bleed is bad it will cost around $40ish to send it back.

What's the deal with this monitor going into standby mode? When mine is no longer receiving a signal, it displays a gray screen with the text "No Signal. Entering the power saving mode shortly", and then the display turns off for about 4 seconds, and cycles back to the gray screen and message.

Another curious thing - I have this and a 4k display plugged into each of my GTX 780s (each one only has one DP output and I need DP for both displays), and I can only use a single display at a time in Nvidia Control Panel. When the LG isn't checked, it keeps disappearing (when it turns off, of course) and reappearing in the list of displays.

I want to just shut it off so it will stop cycling, but then my mouse and keyboard (which are plugged into it as a USB hub) don't work.

Any idea how I can get standby to work normally with this display?

I just received the 34UM95 from Newegg and I can clearly see noticeable backlight bleed problems on both lower corners as many of you have reported.

Man I really miss my old trusty LG 24in monitor. It looked great, had minimal backlight bleed, and handled everything I threw at it with aplomb. It worked wonderfully until its gamma went completely off.

I never imagined buying a new monitor would be so difficult so so many problems with backlight bleed, response time, etc.

I never imagined buying a new monitor would be so difficult so so many problems with backlight bleed, response time, etc.

Preach.. I don't know if i've just gotten sensitive to this kind of stuff over the last few years, but i'll be damned if i can't find a monitor that delivers on its damn promises.

does anyone know if the LG 34UM94 has the same prob as the 95 BLB? i know the difference is supposedly the warranty

I've had considerable progress with managing the Displayport issues on the 34UM95 and I am at the point where I would consider this setup to be reliable. I've had to try a couple of different GPU's and a couple of different DP cables and I have it running through a Gigabyte 980 with the included DP cable plugged into port 3. I've found it is solid on this port, but can still have wake issues on the others. There are still some issues with windows moving etc. but that is an issue with the way Windows handles DP monitors.

My initial setup with this monitor using an Asus R9 290 and a supposed high quality DP cable would often crash on standby or even crash while being used.

This is while using DP1.1. If I use DP1.2 I can consistently create screen corruption by just going into stand by with Photoshop open. So I gather DP 1.2 does not work at all unless you possibly have a 10 bit pro GPU of some sort.

Anyways it's a very nice monitor, once you get it all going...

I've had considerable progress with managing the Displayport issues on the 34UM95 and I am at the point where I would consider this setup to be reliable. I've had to try a couple of different GPU's and a couple of different DP cables and I have it running through a Gigabyte 980 with the included DP cable plugged into port 3. I've found it is solid on this port, but can still have wake issues on the others. There are still some issues with windows moving etc. but that is an issue with the way Windows handles DP monitors.

My initial setup with this monitor using an Asus R9 290 and a supposed high quality DP cable would often crash on standby or even crash while being used.

This is while using DP1.1. If I use DP1.2 I can consistently create screen corruption by just going into stand by with Photoshop open. So I gather DP 1.2 does not work at all unless you possibly have a 10 bit pro GPU of some sort.

Anyways it's a very nice monitor, once you get it all going...

Interesting.

I had no issues (flat screen 34um95-p) using DP 1.2 and a GTX 980, using the 1st DP output, for a while. The one day, the monitor refused to wake up from sleep mode. I will try DP 1.1 and output 3, and see if that improves things. What is the diff between dp 1.1 and 1.2 spec wise? Why is this even a selectable option?

My understanding is that the free shipping back only applies to items with the premier icon next to it. So my concern is if the backlight bleed is bad it will cost around $40ish to send it back.

Just a FYI, I just sent mine back in and it was free shipping back with premier.

So I received my monitor from Newegg today and just my luck....I get this blob of dead/stuck pixels on the bottom left of my monitor. So far I didn't notice any light bleed and my monitor was manufactured in Oct 2014 so it's a pretty recent model.

Should I risk returning it and end up getting a different one with light bleed?

PUcBjgY.jpg

So my RMA from Newegg was APPROVED but also denied.
I received an email from Newegg stating that my screen had been denied due to a damaged screen?
The monitor was not damaged when I sent it too them, so I am highly frustrated right now.
So, in my eyes, I sent a monitor to Newegg with BLB and I am going to receive one with a Damaged Screen?!
Really upset as I have been using Newegg for over 6 years, and this is there customer service?!
Anyone have any advice?
Thanks.

So my RMA from Newegg was APPROVED but also denied.
I received an email from Newegg stating that my screen had been denied due to a damaged screen?
The monitor was not damaged when I sent it too them, so I am highly frustrated right now.
So, in my eyes, I sent a monitor to Newegg with BLB and I am going to receive one with a Damaged Screen?!
Really upset as I have been using Newegg for over 6 years, and this is there customer service?!
Anyone have any advice?
Thanks.

Always, always, always, ALWAYS take pictures of RMA stuff. Especially with Newegg. They are notorious for this sort of stuff.

If it was me? Refuse the return package and issue a chargeback on the original one. Make sure you print out something showing you refused the delivery - ie the tracking update. You'll burn the bridge with Newegg, but they are already doing that for you.

I would consider talking to your credit card company and dispute the charge. AMEX is especially great since they usually side with the consumer (or so I've been told).

Got a 34UM95 in from Amazon today.

IPS Glow (yellow) in the lower corners are what people says it is. Obvious it's glow because when you try to look at it straight on, it goes away. I've been using VA for so long I dunno if I can do IPS this wide. Haven't done a real BLB test, will eventually.

Whites are really nice. I'm using Gamma at 1 because Gamma at 0 gives black crush like I've never seen, and my previous monitor was VA.

Can't see any dead pixels giving a quick color run through. Time to play some games and see what I think.

Yea. They look nearly the same and it was a $70 savings. The extra 2 year warranty was the only reason I would be keeping it, and I almost did. But my wife said just send the more expensive one back.

I hope she knows that I'm keeping this in my brains filing cabinet to mess with her if it somehow goes bad years 1-3 lol

Got my LG Electronics UM95 34UM95 from amazon yesterday used for $650. Came without a box and in mint condition. AMAZING MONITOR FOR THE PRICE.

Always, always, always, ALWAYS take pictures of RMA stuff. Especially with Newegg. They are notorious for this sort of stuff.

If it was me? Refuse the return package and issue a chargeback on the original one. Make sure you print out something showing you refused the delivery - ie the tracking update. You'll burn the bridge with Newegg, but they are already doing that for you.

yeah, thats exactly what I did.
I eventually got ahold of them via Live Chat after a 45 min wait, they are now looking further into the issue.
I really just hope things work out.

For those of you who have the 34UM95 with BLB problems, did you return the monitor or kept it? I'm asking because other than the BLB problems, I really like the UM95. If you kept your monitor, how're you dealing with the BLB?

For those of you who have the 34UM95 with BLB problems, did you return the monitor or kept it? I'm asking because other than the BLB problems, I really like the UM95. If you kept your monitor, how're you dealing with the BLB?

Since this is my first IPS monitor, I bet I put up with more then I should. But I completely forget about the BLB for the most part, I think about it maybe 2% of the time I've had the monitor so far.

Hey guys.
Just got my UM95 today, and it is spectacular.
Yes it bleeds yellow on all corners, but it doesn't bother me that much.
A bigger problem that I observed when I returned to the pc and it switched back on form sleep mode, the right half of the screen was shivering, the whole right half of the image. I restarted the pc and it returned to normal.
I have instaled all the software and updates, am using DP 1.2 enabled.
Any resolutions on this matter?

Thank you very much! Cheers!!

Hey guys.
Just got my UM95 today, and it is spectacular.
Yes it bleeds yellow on all corners, but it doesn't bother me that much.
A bigger problem that I observed when I returned to the pc and it switched back on form sleep mode, the right half of the screen was shivering, the whole right half of the image. I restarted the pc and it returned to normal.
I have instaled all the software and updates, am using DP 1.2 enabled.
Any resolutions on this matter?

Thank you very much! Cheers!!

it look like problem with LG monitor ? mine is the same . i need to restart to fixed it too .
are you happen to use Nvidia card ?

i found this new driver which say about fixed some DP issues . i have installed it but i have not got time to test it yet . you can check it out

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3607/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-344.80

I have mailed LG Support and they called me just now after a couple of minute (wow), and said to send it to the repair service if the problem reappears. Will probably do that since they have a LG Service in my current city.

If you've been following this monitor here and at other sites, you probably have not seen a single picture of it with zero BLB or glow and know what you're getting into. The best I've seen was the free replacement that another user got earlier in the thread.

Based on pictures of other monitors in this thread, I think I got lucky with regards to BLB. Either that, or everyone uses theirs at 100 brightness in a completely sealed room with no other lighting and I have very bad eyes.

I have very minor bleed at the top -- does not extend more than a very slight glow at the edge. You really have to stare at it. I'd say 1/8-1/4inch. It is not noticeable in use at all.

My left corner really, really glows and it is noticeable in dark games/movies. Have more people tried the solution that involves removing the lower bezel posted earlier in this thread?

I can't see how it's supposed to come off and I'm sure not going to force it. It looks like I'm supposed to get under it, but there is virtually no gap between the lower black bezel strip that snaps on/off and the chrome frame. I'm not even sure I can fit a razor blade in there, and I definitely can't fit a credit card.

I received my 34UM95 from newegg last Friday. The monitor had a row of pixels from bottom to top that showed as yellow on a white background and black on a blue background. I also had a glob of black dead pixels on the bottom right.

I just got of the phone with newegg and would not authorize an advanced RMA, however, they did allow me to purchase a new 34UM95 and issued me a RMA/Refund on my first monitor, so pretty much the same thing as an advanced RMA.

Once I receive the replacement I will send this one back. They also honored the original discount price I purchased the monitor at $870 w/tax since gone back up to $999.

So far my dealing with customer service has been good. I will take pictures of my monitor before I send it back after reading a few of these earlier comments about newegg stating the monitor was damaged.

Weird to see these newegg horror stories although they have been more rampant over the last couple years. I remember when I first started ordering from them in high school (circa 2001-2002) and their service was second to none.

Weird to see these newegg horror stories although they have been more rampant over the last couple years. I remember when I first started ordering from them in high school (circa 2001-2002) and their service was second to none.

more competition, bad economy, etc..newegg's cutting corners any which way it can but ultimatly damaging its rep

only reason newegg is competitive these days is having what others don't (like monitors)

last purchase I made, paid for next day air shipping on a powerline adapter I needed for a client - they didn't even package it until two whole days later

before that, they decided to brace a 1300watt power supply with the fans included in that order....because plastic fans can brace impacts of a 1300W PSU and survive without breaking....:rolleyes:

both times, they didn't bother to make right until I had to put in MORE effort for their attention....amazon just puts them to shame

I have a question, can someone run a game at 2560x1080 full screen and tell me how it looks, BF4 if you have it.
I am looking at getting one of these monitors, I'd like to get the high res unit but I don't have the horsepower to run games at native resolution so I'd have to drop it down.

Woo.. my massdrop LG came in earlier this evening. It's nearly 1am est so nothing doing now, tomorrow sometime.

Doing 2560x1080 on it makes the image too big, so you would have to sit further away from the monitor to enjoy it.
If you play it on lower resolutions you either get the image stretched either you get the black bars on the side (which doesn't look good because of the bleeding on all corners). So it won't feel natural at lower resolution.
If you are willing to spend 1000 euros/usd on this monitor you should be able to buy a GTX 970.
If 1000 is your buget, I would suggest you go with the lower res UM65 + 970 and use Nvidia DSR to up the res to 3440x1400, or buy the Benq BL3200PT + 970, which is also a great quality monitor, although it's 32 inch and not ultrawide, but 2560x1440.

Doing 2560x1080 on it makes the image too big, so you would have to sit further away from the monitor to enjoy it.
If you play it on lower resolutions you either get the image stretched either you get the black bars on the side (which doesn't look good because of the bleeding on all corners). So it won't feel natural at lower resolution.
If you are willing to spend 1000 euros/usd on this monitor you should be able to buy a GTX 970.
If 1000 is your buget, I would suggest you go with the lower res UM65 + 970 and use Nvidia DSR to up the res to 3440x1400, or buy the Benq BL3200PT + 970, which is also a great quality monitor, although it's 32 inch and not ultrawide, but 2560x1440.
What? Why would 2560x1080 be any bigger than 3440x1440? I have never seen a lower resolution look bigger on any monitor.

And if playing at the same aspect ratio there would be no stretching or black bars if everything is set up correctly. It will simply just look a little blurry and more aliased compared to the native resolution.

If 1000 is your buget, I would suggest you go with the lower res UM65 + 970 and use Nvidia DSR to up the res to 3440x1400

Good points, as the UM65 would certainly be a nice match for a 970, but he already has a 2560x1080 monitor. Sure, the UM65 would be physically larger, but if he's like most people he wants the extra resolution of the UM95 to use on the Windows desktop where it is very beneficial, while being able to scale back to a lower res for games for acceptable performance while still maintaining good image quality.

HomescuCiprian said:
or buy the Benq BL3200PT + 970, which is also a great quality monitor, although it's 32 inch and not ultrawide, but 2560x1440.

When you put it like that, the BenQ would seem inferior when in fact it is (IMO) an equally great monitor. Despite being 32" instead of 34", it actually seems larger at times due to the height. The LG is definitely wide, but after using the BenQ, the LG seems so narrow. I miss the height of the BenQ when using the LG, but I don't always miss the extra width of the LG when using the BenQ. Contrast ratio and black levels are also better on the BenQ than the LG ultrawide. But of course the LG excels at letting you fit multiple windows side by side as well as providing a very wide FOV in games.

It makes the addons (map, health and ammo bars) a little bigger and they use more space on the screen. Maybe in shooter it's not a big deal but in a mmorpg when your screen is full of them, it makes a big difference.
Yes, with tweaks you can make all of the issues work.
In conclusion I'm still strongly recommending you buy first a DSR Enabled Nvidia Card (970 best buy) and then see about the UM65 or UM95.

Last edited:
Back