34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Interesting, although true 4K in 21:9 aspect ratio would actually be 5120x2160. Would be amazing if the 40" was that res.

3440x1440 at 40" would bring down the PPI too much though IMO...

A 40" 21:9 would be to wide for practical use. The would have to curve the display if its that size and wide otherwise it would be annoying. I have the 34" LG 21:9 and is is right there on the bounday of being two wide. A 40" 5120x2160 would be fantastic but it MUST be curved! Otherwise your gonna twist your head off.

Guessing Dell is sitting back and watching to see what others do. About as good explanation as any other. :D

Just got the shipping conformation from adorama. After a month and a half from the actual order

I've really been wanting to pick up the LG, but on the fence with some issues noted from other forums. No clue why I didn't bother to look here. Part of my hesitation is that I also need a new GPU to drive it and it's not the best time to buy.

MicroCenter is supposed to call when they get more in, and they've been good so far. They even notified me when they had an open box return.

Thanks for all the info, digging thru the thread now.

37-40" is what I think the sweet spot is for what I would want in a 21:9 monitor; at least that would make me consider getting one.

Just picked this up. Do i need another gtx 770?
If you want to play games at decent framerates and not on the lowest settings....yes! But if I were you I would try out with one GTX770 first and experience it yourself before you decide anything. It's not like you're buying an apple or anything.

I've really been wanting to pick up the LG, but on the fence with some issues noted from other forums. No clue why I didn't bother to look here. Part of my hesitation is that I also need a new GPU to drive it and it's not the best time to buy.
Same here. I'll be waiting for the new Maxwell highend cards (october/november) to drive a 3440x1440 resolution. A GTX 780 Ti is just not good enough to expect 60fps with decent quality settings.

I pre-ordered from B&H in April,just recieved a " In stock, order sent to warehouse Expedited Delivery" status update

If you want to play games at decent framerates and not on the lowest settings....yes! But if I were you I would try out with one GTX770 first and experience it yourself before you decide anything. It's not like you're buying an apple or anything.

Same here. I'll be waiting for the new Maxwell highend cards (october/november) to drive a 3440x1440 resolution. A GTX 780 Ti is just not good enough to expect 60fps with decent quality settings.

Depends what "decent quality" is to you, if you mean basically maxing out all games above 60 FPS then yes a 780Ti is borderline. But I can tell you if you count out Crysis one 780 TI will run very high graphics settings on basically all other games. Also if you overclock the card you can get an additional 15%+ out of the card. If there was no Star Citizen I would have probably just picked up one 780 Ti, sometimes I still question getting two considering the game will not be out until mid next year at the earliest.

You could prob still return it to a Costco store and get a refund, so that is not a bad deal in case you get one with bad backlight bleed.

Yeah you beat me to saying just that! Great to have the option of buying it from a company with a fantastic return policy.

I've been waiting for the local Frys around the Bay Area, CA to have an unit for display before I make the purchase, but I wonder if the local Costco would probably get the stock quicker for display.

Isn't there usually a Costco Member Price and Non-Member price on their site?

Just ordered with Costco and paid the extra $34ish dollars for the express shipping. Allegedly that speeds delivery up to 1-2 days from order placement, vs 3-5.

It's worth the extra to avoid UPS banging it around for an extra 2-3 days. Anyways, Costo alleviates any anxiety I had over product defects so it's far worth the extra $100 over B&H. Crap, now I need a GPU upgrade from my NV 680.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the stores I called do not stock this, so it's likely online only (YMMV).

Last edited:
I notification from Amazon earlier this afternoon with an expected delivery date of July 8th. Given that the 4th is Friday, I guess they are expecting to ship it Sunday night or Tomorrow sometime if its going to make it then.

I ordered mine back at the end of May when I ordered the rest of my system...guess I'll really see how good my video card is...because its stupid fast with my 24in monitor lol

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't Costco extend the warranty to two years on the monitor as well? That plus 90 days to return (locally!) has made me order this monitor again! Hopefully it ships.

Of course this happens after I spent my monitor money on a Z97 and 4790K that netted me all of 200MHz over my 4770K (and a PhysX card slot, lol). Worst computer upgrade ever there. :eek:

Going to calibrate my monitor finally. Just won a Colormunki on ebay brand new for $100 with free shipping.

Is anyone driving one of these with a non-ti 780? If so, how's it doing?
It'll drive it just fine, FPS is the question, and that is heavily game dependent. This display is only 20% more pixels than a regular (16:10) 30" monitor. Check out video card reviews and look at the 2560x1600 chart to get a feel for how a card would do driving this. (And subtract a bit, obviously.)

It'll drive it just fine, FPS is the question, and that is heavily game dependent. This display is only 20% more pixels than a regular (16:10) 30" monitor. Check out video card reviews and look at the 2560x1600 chart to get a feel for how a card would do driving this. (And subtract a bit, obviously.)

I had a GTX 780 at one point with this monitor but found it ran okay, the FPS would dip below 60 FPS with higher settings. I would say a 780 Ti would be a better option. You can OC a 780 to about the same performance for a 780 Ti though. Then again a 780 Ti can OC very well also and give you even more headroom.

Using that napkin math, I should be able to expect a ti model to handle the LG monitor about like the non-ti handles 2560x1600.

I guess I need to slow down and see how terrible it is with my current 680 and go from there. Unfortunately I'm in a spot where I can't simply drop in a 780ti due to power/case limitations.

Using that napkin math, I should be able to expect a ti model to handle the LG monitor about like the non-ti handles 2560x1600.

I guess I need to slow down and see how terrible it is with my current 680 and go from there. Unfortunately I'm in a spot where I can't simply drop in a 780ti due to power/case limitations.

Yeah I would test it first, I had a GTX 580 with no displayport so I needed to upgrade when I purchased the monitor. If I had a 680 I might have waited for the 800 series.

I'm pretty sure that I will have to RMA mine. The glow on the bottom corners is pretty bad and it is noticeable on the top corners. Mine has a May manufacturing date. Should I send it to Newegg or LG? Anyone have experience with either?

Other than the glow problem I absolutely love this screen.

I have an April 2014 model (pretty sure I was one of the first to get one off Newegg) and I initiated an RMA today. Nasty orange IPs glow in the lower left section. Awesome display even in spite of this.

I must say LGs customer service was the easiest Ive dealt with in a long time. Quick, easy and no hassle cross ship. Lets hope the new one is better

I have an April 2014 model (pretty sure I was one of the first to get one off Newegg) and I initiated an RMA today. Nasty orange IPs glow in the lower left section. Awesome display even in spite of this.

I must say LGs customer service was the easiest Ive dealt with in a long time. Quick, easy and no hassle cross ship. Lets hope the new one is better
Hey do you have a picture of your last LG 34UM95? The one that you RMA'ed it. I just want to see if yours is worst than mine.

Hey do you have a picture of your last LG 34UM95? The one that you RMA'ed it. I just want to see if yours is worst than mine.

The thing about IPS glow is that it shifts (or even disappears) depending on how you are looking at the screen. I suspect this is more a function of the matte coating on most or all IPS displays than it is an actual flaw.

The 34UM95 being as wide as it is, is more susceptible to visible IPS glow.

A possible solution to this might be a gently curved screen. Of course a glossy coating is another possibility, but I'm thinking that could be a real mess for a display like this - In terms of screen reflectivity.

OK, so I got my replacement for my RMA. This one has a June Manufacture date. In this case the rumours that the models made in June are superior to the ones before are true. Not only does this one have no flaw but the IPS glow is really low even at full brightness, you pretty much have to be looking for it even to notice a bit.

Kind of happy my other monitor had a flaw in the glass now...this one seems much improved.

I'm driving a 30" right now with a 680 without issue, although I mostly play CS:GO, which is hilariously undemanding, and Wildstar, which is so constrained by the way it's coded than SLI'd 780's don't get much higher FPS than me.

OK, so I got my replacement for my RMA. This one has a June Manufacture date. In this case the rumours that the models made in June are superior to the ones before are true. Not only does this one have no flaw but the IPS glow is really low even at full brightness, you pretty much have to be looking for it even to notice a bit.

Kind of happy my other monitor had a flaw in the glass now...this one seems much improved.

Did you take a pic of your old unit? Interested in a comparison photo if possible.

I'm driving a 30" right now with a 680 without issue, although I mostly play CS:GO, which is hilariously undemanding, and Wildstar, which is so constrained by the way it's coded than SLI'd 780's don't get much higher FPS than me.
Mmo/Rpg 's are very cpu dependent on top of gpu demands and most only use the first two cpu cores so it's mostly about clock speed on those cores. You're right that most aren't optimized and are coded poorly in general and for multi gpu setups. People often scoff at games like WoW's simpler geometry and stylized graphics demand-wise, but if you actually look up real world game play framerates on ultra settings with vast view distances and animated objects and creatures in those distances, tons of players, creatures and effects in your viewport in raids, pvp, outdoor bosses/event areas and cities, etc.. - you would see just how demanding such games are when you aren't just soloing a few boars with a stick in a field somewhere. ;)
I played WoW years ago, and I played rift for awhile too which was similar but with more demanding graphics and high rez textures.

Last edited:
Back