34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Lots of people on other forums still getting backlight bleeding on June Rev 2 models. One guy I saw said he exchanged at 4 different frys stores, the first 3 had it immediately and the 4th developed it after 3 days. They were all the most recent batch...

Not sure what to think, LG's quality control really that bad?

my UM95 + 3007 side by side

sorry for the cell pic ... i'll get my nex and do some better pics later

Setup is temporary. I'll have to figure out the optimal layout

ou7ew7.jpg

Something interesting popped up at Massdrop, a group buying company. Apparently they are now approved to work with LG directly and they are in talks about of listing a LG 34UM94 massdrop. Apparently its the same model as the LG 34UM95, but a "proline" and black.

Doing something like that is a great idea. I just added the AOC u3477Pqu to their ultrawide poll..

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/ultrawide-monitors

Lots of people on other forums still getting backlight bleeding on June Rev 2 models. One guy I saw said he exchanged at 4 different frys stores, the first 3 had it immediately and the 4th developed it after 3 days. They were all the most recent batch...

Not sure what to think, LG's quality control really that bad?

I just received a new June Rev 2 model from Costco and it's got backlight bleed on both bottom corners, in 4-5 inches from the edge.

Shame too, really brilliant display otherwise.

I just received a new June Rev 2 model from Costco and it's got backlight bleed on both bottom corners, in 4-5 inches from the edge.

Shame too, really brilliant display otherwise.

That's where mine is coming from too... I'll likely be getting the new ASUS 144hz panel if that's the case. Hopefully they pay for shipping back, nearest Costco for me is 82 miles.

So far my quest for a new monitor:
1x 27" Samsung S27A850 PLS - Bad backlight bleeding
3x 32" BenQ BL3200PT VA - First one had clicking sounds but a great picture, second one had 2 dead pixels, third one had a 1 inch scratch on the panel. Response rates varied greatly, the 1st was acceptable and the next two were so bad I couldn't possibly game on them.
1x 34" LG 34UM95 IPS - I have almost no doubts it will have (or will quickly develop) backlight bleeding.
1x 27" ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q TN - This is my last hope if the LG is bad. I wanted to avoid TN but this is an 8bit TN panel and has gotten 2 glowing reviews so far.

Last edited:
This is why I'm thinking I'll have to wait til later this year to get this monitor, and get it locally instead of Online :( Hassle of mailing something back

TBH, I don't feel it will ever be fixed... at least not in the LG. It happens with all IPS monitors and it's usually luck of the draw on how bad it is. The 34" 21x9 factor makes it way more lightly to be a problem, from what I understand the framing only needs to be just a tiniest bit off and you will have backlight bleed. Dell seems to take more measures to prevent it from happening. I think LG just isn't getting the frame measurements 100% correct, which results in the panel shifting a bit allowing some leakage in the corners.

It's a shame too, because backlight bleed to that extent is a deal breaker regardless of how good a monitor really is. I would image their return rates are extremely high (hence the recall), but they still didn't get it fixed. I imagine this is why Dell is taking making sure they do it correct. LG is probably losing money on these.

I think I'm going to stop by Costco, explain the issue, and tell them that I want to wait to see if LG manages to correct the problem before I exchange it.

I know Costco has generous policies, but I've never actually returned anything there.

TBH, I don't feel it will ever be fixed... at least not in the LG. It happens with all IPS monitors and it's usually luck of the draw on how bad it is. The 34" 21x9 factor makes it way more lightly to be a problem, from what I understand the framing only needs to be just a tiniest bit off and you will have backlight bleed. Dell seems to take more measures to prevent it from happening. I think LG just isn't getting the frame measurements 100% correct, which results in the panel shifting a bit allowing some leakage in the corners.

It's a shame too, because backlight bleed to that extent is a deal breaker regardless of how good a monitor really is. I would image their return rates are extremely high (hence the recall), but they still didn't get it fixed. I imagine this is why Dell is taking making sure they do it correct. LG is probably losing money on these.

It's too bad they don't implement some kind of local dimming tech in these monitors, on many TVs I've found it very effective at getting rid of light bleed in the corners. Granted it would probably introduce more input lag if turned on, but that's a non-issue for movies and for many games I'd probably be fine with the tradeoff.

I will say that the light anti-glare coating is perfect.

Seems like it's a perfect IPS panel..... outside of the absolutely deal breaking corner bleeding. If it was minor it'd be acceptable, since it's 21x9, minor corner bleeding would still be better than 16x9 without bleeding. You still see more, technically. :p

I'd really like to hear when/if you get a working one that actually lasts. I'm still under the impression that 100% of the monitors are affected by this. Some out of the box, others take up to a week to develop issues. Knowing you ordered from Costco roughly the same day as me, doesn't give me hopes for my monitor coming Thursday. I've seen multiple people buy multiple monitors at frys with no luck.

Has anyone owned this monitor for over 2 weeks and used it for more than 3 hours a day without any backlight bleeding? I haven't seen anyone. Maybe they are all happy gaming on them now. :)

Yes, but that isn't for the model they will actually carry which is the 34UM94. Not clear whether they will have a vote for that model or they may just list it for sale.
I'm certain it's a go and they're gonna set up a buy page for the 34UM94 or 34UM95. We wouldn't have to vote for it. I mean they have nearly couple of thousand of people interested. And an exclusive black non-consumer model would be hot with the extended warranty. But massdrop does take a long time to initiate after the buy drops. I don't expect this completed and receiving your unit until like December/January.

I'm certain it's a go and they're gonna set up a buy page for the 34UM94 or 34UM95. We wouldn't have to vote for it. I mean they have nearly couple of thousand of people interested. And an exclusive black non-consumer model would be hot with the extended warranty. But massdrop does take a long time to initiate after the buy drops. I don't expect this completed and receiving your unit until like December/January.

That long...? Guh.

The 3007 looks 4:3, lol.

Lol yeah it does a bit.

Btw does anyone think that 21:10 3440x1600 would've been even better

I do miss a bit the vertical lines from my 30in. Especially for programming or other practical uses *:10 seems better on a monitor

Damn. How's the IPS glow so bad on that one, that you can see it on the bezel in the upper-left corner? :D

I think that was his camera flash or a light above the monitor, It's "glows" into the bezel of the monitor so it can't be IPS glow or backlight bleed. The bottom corners are definitely the orange-tinted backlight bleed that many here are experiencing.
http://imgur.com/JfJuLZi

To show what a perfect backlight bleed, or lack there of looks like...here's one of me of taking a picture of my monitor while looking at the post you just made...made of point of show black in the corners. My lights are off of course.

Love this monitor.

How long have you used it so far?

I think that was his camera flash or a light above the monitor, It's "glows" into the bezel of the monitor so it can't be IPS glow or backlight bleed. The bottom corners are definitely the orange-tinted backlight bleed that many here are experiencing.

Yeah, I know.. was just making a joke ;)

This one was an RMA replacement, and I have had it since Thursday

Did you get the replacement directly from LG or the store? If LG, did they cross-ship?

Perhaps LG is shipping out the "fixed" models directly, but stores have yet to get them. I would be very worried about RMAing a monitor that's still in the refund window, you could not return the replacement model because it would be a different serial number... but if they cross-ship you can always send the RMA back and send the original back for refund.

I am jealous and hope mine comes like yours.

Did you get the replacement directly from LG or the store? If LG, did they cross-ship?

Perhaps LG is shipping out the "fixed" models directly, but stores have yet to get them. I would be very worried about RMAing a monitor that's still in the refund window, you could not return the replacement model because it would be a different serial number... but if they cross-ship you can always send the RMA back and send the original back for refund.

I am jealous and hope mine comes like yours.

It was a cross ship....and when I asked where it was shipped from they just said "their distributor in Toronto"

And don't be so darn negative. :rolleyes:

I have had mine since the beginning of May and still have minor BLB. I will post some more pictures when I get chance. It has a MFG date of April.

Amazon shipped mine Thursday, but won't see it till Tuesday unless a minor shipping miracle happens.

Post after your setup. Curious how yours fares in the "bleed" department since I think you're the first with a set from Amazon.

But massdrop does take a long time to initiate after the buy drops. I don't expect this completed and receiving your unit until like December/January.
That long...? Guh.
My last drop was in my hands 2 weeks after the drop ended. Obviously different manufacturers/distributors fulfill large orders with different speeds, but Massdrop tends to be good about a quick turn around once it hits their warehouse.

And don't be so darn negative. :rolleyes:

That's very hard to do considering this is my 5th monitor i've tried in the last ~30 days. I have the worst luck when it comes to faulty hardware, my friends always joke about it whenever I order something. :p

That long...? Guh.

From my understanding, once Massdrop gets a price range (this # of committed buyers to reach a cheaper amount), Massdrop will collect the dues, contact the manufacture for their order number, then MD receives the large shipment before finally reshipping them to us. And the group buy is still in the planning stage, and not calculating the shipping yet.

It's going to take a while haha but a lot of people are still backordered on their preorder units. So it will be pretty close in my opinion.

That's very hard to do considering this is my 5th monitor i've tried this month. I have the worst luck when it comes to faulty hardware, my friends always joke about it whenever I order something. :p

I feel you, this monitor has been mind-blowing and heart breaking at the same time. When on, it looks ridiculously incredible, but it does have BLB on a black screen in a dark room. There is no reason it should really bother me, I don't see it unless I test for it, it's just knowing that it's there when this monitor is priced so premium.

That https://www.massdrop.com/vote/ultrawide-monitors?s=ultrawide voting is now at 2800+

Had questions about that though. They said it'll actually be a black 34UM94 (pro line version with 3 year warantee). I can't find anything at all online about the 34UM94 version. This some shadow-ops black ghost LG secret that only massdrop knows? ;)

Other thing I'm wondering is why their product info is linking to B&H's add. I hope that's just a random link about the monitor, for information purposes, and doesn't imply that massdrop will mass order through B&H. I assume massdrop mass orders directly to LG in this case.

That https://www.massdrop.com/vote/ultrawide-monitors?s=ultrawide voting is now at 2800+

Had questions about that though. They said it'll actually be a black 34UM94 (pro line version with 3 year warantee). I can't find anything at all online about the 34UM94 version. This some shadow-ops black ghost LG secret that only massdrop knows? ;)

Other thing I'm wondering is why their product info is linking to B&H's add. I hope that's just a random link about the monitor, for information purposes, and doesn't imply that massdrop will mass order through B&H. I assume massdrop mass orders directly to LG in this case.
That's an old community vote that was place a couple of months ago. It will not close because the discussion section is active, not necessarily the voting. When a community vote gets that popular, a MD staff will initiate the contacts with the manufacture, not a distributor. If you look at that same link, and go to the last page of the discussion section, you can follow the updates made by MD staff.

But I am definitely excited for a black edition to match my black M1.

Back