34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

The other thing is benq has the Zero flicker monitors called flicker safe. Anybody know if this works good i use monitor up to 5 hours a day

Interesting review.
You sound only half thrilled. Am I reading you correctly?

No, no. This is a nice display. Possibly one of the nicest ones I've ever owned. But I'm coming from a Dell U2711 which was absolutely perfect, no backlight bleed, no imperfections. I loved it. Also, I was looking forward to a 4k display, but seeing Battlefield 4 in 3440x1440 definitely has made me enjoy what this display has to offer.

This display is only a stopgap though. Being that all the current inexpensive 4k/60Hz displays are 28"/TN, once the inexpensive IPS 4k >34" panels start coming out I will sell this and get one of those instead. It will probably be a year or two until that happens though.

He never said anything about gaming, just that he could power multiple 4k displays.
Thats bullshit logic, thats trolling... Why in the world would you say something provocative like I can run 3 Screens without problems, the best part was when he anwsered that on a gaming reply :rolleyes:.

You can't even run a 4K monitor. Even if you spend 3000€ on GPU's. Trust me.

Incorrect; please stop spereading rubbish. All you need is 3 DP 1.2 ports and a GPU with sufficient grunt. Now, if you want to game at 3x 4K, then I'll grant you you'll need 3 or 4 GPUs. Baasha is currently running 3x 4K witth 4x Titans.

Thats bullshit logic, thats trolling... Why in the world would you say something provocative like I can run 3 Screens without problems, the best part was when he anwsered that on a gaming reply :rolleyes:.

I SAID I OWNED THREE 4K monitors, NOT RAN THREE 4K monitors concurrently. I owned a Seiki 39" 4k, Samsung U28D590 and a Dell UP2414Q and they ALL ran FINE SEPARATELY on my Solo Titan GPU and Solo 290x Rigs.

Holy shit I can't believe I just had to explain that, seeing as how its impossible to run three display port only displays on a gpu which only offers ONE displayport out!

Yeah what games are you running 3 4k monitors on? You cant run 1 4k monitor in a demanding game with good settings
Wrong, games ran great @ 4k with a solo titan or 290x as long as you dialed some useless settings down...but eyecandy still looked outstanding.

Last edited:
This display sits really low. I built myself a little stand out of 3 blocks of wood that raises it up to eye level. I'll take a picture of it once I clean up my desk.

I see. But still lot better then a 1080p 32 inch. So the question is should i go with the 32inch 1440p or get the 34 or wait for a 4k 32 in that price range you think next year bout this time we will start seeing 4k good monitors at a good price?

I am almost bout to just buy the 32 1440p monitor
I like the idea of the Zero flicker for eay comfort or maybe thats just a gimick? Its also 300 dollars cheaper then the 34 inch. But i kinda like the idea of the 34 inch lot of pixels. My main consern is size
Becuase i feel like the 27 1440p is to small compared to my brothers 30 inch i love a big monitor

Personally I think bigger is better in this situation when comparing the 32 and the 34. If your wallet can stomach it get the 34. Just make sure you get it from a good retailer that you can return it to if for some reason it doesn't meet your expectation.

As to the 4k question, yes this time next year they will be better and cheaper. I think its safe to say that is inevitable. How much so is the hard question. I think it will be considerable compared to today. Going forward the 4k is just going to get better and cheaper as production ramps up and models get improvements.

This display sits really low. I built myself a little stand out of 3 blocks of wood that raises it up to eye level. I'll take a picture of it once I clean up my desk.

Yeah, the height issue wouldn't be that big of a deal to me considering you can easily modify it like you suggest. You can do anything from a ghetto mod of stacked telephone books to a really nice vesa mount and anything in between. :)

Personally I think bigger is better in this situation when comparing the 32 and the 34. If your wallet can stomach it get the 34. Just make sure you get it from a good retailer that you can return it to if for some reason it doesn't meet your expectation.

As to the 4k question, yes this time next year they will be better and cheaper. I think its safe to say that is inevitable. How much so is the hard question. I think it will be considerable compared to today. Going forward the 4k is just going to get better and cheaper as production ramps up and models get improvements.

Totally agree with all this.

To a large extent, one must simply decide how "soon" 4k will be something they want.

For me, I largely play Flight Sims (P3D & X-Plane), both of which can absolutely murder literally *any* system that exists today when running at 1440p (or 1600 which I do).

So for me, it may be a couple years and an entirely new PC build before I'm even really interested in pushing pixels on a 4k since Flight Simming at that resolution will be a horsepower extravaganza (at least at the quality I like).

Flight sim is dangerous that way. It can be SO gorgeous with all the settings turned up that you....never want to turn them down. haha

I will check when I get home. My wife picked it up for me.

Just opened it up. No IPS glow problem on the unit I got. Just the normal glow from IPS panel. I do have a flickering issue on the bottom portion of the screen when connected to my 2013 MacBook Air via Thunderbolt. Also via Thunderbolt, it says connected at 50Hz.

The other thing is benq has the Zero flicker monitors called flicker safe. Anybody know if this works good i use monitor up to 5 hours a day

Zero flicker == no PWM

This LG should have no PWM also, LG mentions it is flicker free, don't think anyone has confirmed it yet though.

Just opened it up. No IPS glow problem on the unit I got. Just the normal glow from IPS panel. I do have a flickering issue on the bottom portion of the screen when connected to my 2013 MacBook Air via Thunderbolt. Also via Thunderbolt, it says connected at 50Hz.

Did you take a look on a black screen? What is your brightness set at? Can you take a pic head on?

You can now pre-order this Monitor in UK at Overclock.co.uk for only £799.99. It says it may release 16. May.

Thats cheaper than in Denmark. I think I may wait untill next week before buy this monitor. Maybe more Online Store in Denmark will get it in Stock :)

Did you take a look on a black screen? What is your brightness set at? Can you take a pic head on?

iphone pic looks horrible. I will try and take a better pic with a better camera once the batteries charge. With a black screen, I see the glow in the lower right and left corner mostly. The flicker issue I have is only when the macbook air is open. If I use the laptop in clamshell mode, no flicker.

Wrong, games ran great @ 4k with a solo titan or 290x as long as you dialed some useless settings down...but eyecandy still looked outstanding.

I think that your definition of great is different than a lot of people. I've tried downsampling using 4k and even bioshock infinite which is no resource hog didn't run great on my overclocked titan.

I think that your definition of great is different than a lot of people. I've tried downsampling using 4k and even bioshock infinite which is no resource hog didn't run great on my overclocked titan.

Agreed. Overall, I wasn't impressed with the gaming performance @ 4K, and that's with 780 SLI. A single 780 wouldn't cut it unless you are mostly playing simple games.

We also are starting to see the baseline requirements being raised with true 'next-gen' console games like Watch_Dogs.

There's going to have to be a big breakthrough in GPU performance to get playable frames at anything less than 2 or 3 GPUs.

What do you mean by "a lot of people?" Because if you talking about the AVERAGE gamer then we would be discussing knuckle draggin mouth breathing 720P Blur-0-vision neckbeard white bread glucose consuming console tards who would be mind fucked by 4K games on all "low" settings, let alone the niice mix of l33t settings I had mine dialed in at.

Those of you who got/saw one at Microcenter, did they have it on display? (i.e. to look at or play around with)

So far I have found the following using this display on my 2 Apple laptops....

With my Mid 2103 MacBook Air (13 inch) I get a weird flickering on the lower portion of the display. I'm connected via Thunderbolt and the flickering happens at 3440x1440 when the MacBook Air is open and using dual screen. If I put the Air in clamshell mode, no flickering. To use the Air open in dual screen mode, I have to lower the resolution to 2560x1080.

With my Early 2011 MacBook Pro (15 inch), I have no issues running the display at 3440x1440 via Thunderbolt.

I ordered the longer version of one of these: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10910&cs_id=1091002&p_id=9434&seq=1&format=2

Seems cheap enough, and looks better than a phonebook.

That's awesome, I may have to go with one of these, although I was starting to get use to the height of the display at its top position.

Those of you who got/saw one at Microcenter, did they have it on display? (i.e. to look at or play around with)

Usually with Micro Center if they have multiple of an item in stock and customers request to see it on display, they'll just take one and make it a display right then (at least that's been my experience with them).

Nice choice! The glass shelf is smart looking and it looks like the legs are height adjustable? If so how many added inches of height do those legs raise?

I think they raise up to an inch past their standard height. I just ordered it today, so I don't know much!

I actually wish I got the smaller one. I don't know what I was thinking ordering the 27.5 inch version. If it's way too huge I'll repurpose it and order something smaller.

This thing has caught my eye as well: http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-T...489&sr=8-1&keywords=silverstone+monitor+stand

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ordered one from Microcenter web store.

Been "pending" all day. Credit card charged the full amount immediately and then 4 hours later I called and they told me they "aren't able to tell the status when it's pending".

Sounds like a scam to keep you on the hook for an order "eventually".

Same boat. I ordered it too. All it says is pending. If it doesnt ship by friday im cancelling.

I even did "online chat" who said I had to call in to get more information.

So I called in and they were "unable to tell me anything since it's pending".

What a joke.

May be a good "in person" store, but with this sort of customer "service" they shouldn't even offer online sales quite frankly.

They are on East Coast time (I'm on Mountain), so if no progress by about 10am tomorrow (my time), next call is credit card company to fix this issue.

Ridiculous.

Dude calm down. Micro Center is a super reputable store. My order with Newegg was pending well overnight and into noon the next day. They also canceled my first order for no reason due to "failed verification" when the account has plenty of money and all the billing info was a match. All companies have to jump through these verification loops because of all the credit card fraud.

Anyone else find the power save mode light annoying as hell?

Electrical tape is your friend

I don't want to eliminate the light completely, I just want to dim it. It's very bright, the brightest power save mode light I've ever seen. It's also poorly placed, right in the center of the display.

You could try black nail polish. It is translucent.

Back