34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

That's what having the side portrait monitor is for, vertical viewing.
When it comes to content creation and gaming, this it the monitor to get.

16:9 and 16:10 gives you the same viewable area in games no matter what the resolution is.

But 21:9 changes that. If offers much more than 16:10 can ever do. Get a cheap portrait monitor and get this.

I understand what you're saying, but I have a bit of a unique setup with a standing desk, and speakers mounted at ear height to each side of the monitor.

Extra monitors just aren't an option for my arrangement.

I also understand the 21:9 goodness, but really the only gaming I do is Flight Simulator. For that, as much vertical resolution as possible is critical for me to see as much of the instrument panel height as possible.

Definitely not ruling this monitor out...just may need to see one in person to ensure it will work is all.

I understand what you're saying, but I have a bit of a unique setup with a standing desk, and speakers mounted at ear height to each side of the monitor.

I also understand the 21:9 goodness, but really the only gaming I do is Flight Simulator. For that, as much vertical resolution as possible is critical for me to see as much of the instrument panel height as possible.

Definitely not ruling this monitor out...just may need to see one in person to ensure it will work is all.

This display is Gods gift to flight simming! 1440p is plenty of vertical pixels and you have to remember that Pixel Density is higher on this display versus the 1600 too. The extra thousand pixels you pick up on the width is totally worth the 160 pixel sacrifice on the top. And for desktop use you can just put your task bar off to the side to maximize all of the 1440p vert

I got this especialy for Prepar3d (my main flight sim). I believe that lateral vision is even more important than vertical one since in landings it gives you a better awareness of your location in respect of the runway. And in VFR it gives a nice vision of the world.
There it is a screenshot in P3Dv2, TNCM (I come from a 27 inch 1080p monitor).
http://imageshack.com/a/img843/5573/6okg.jpg

6okg.jpg

This display is Gods gift to flight simming! 1440p is plenty of vertical pixels and you have to remember that Pixel Density is higher on this display versus the 1600 too. The extra thousand pixels you pick up on the width is totally worth the 160 pixel sacrifice on the top. And for desktop use you can just put your task bar off to the side to maximize all of the 1440p vert

I guess I should have specified.

I flight sim for full IFR approach practice (not fighter or WW2 type sims) and the extra amount of vertical pixels absolutely makes a difference in my setup.

The density of the pixels doesn't help with the fact that there are simply fewer pixels vertically. That's what matters to the sim in terms of how much of the instrument panel can be shown.

Who knows. I may just go right to 4k.

I got this especialy for Prepar3d (my main flight sim). I believe that lateral vision is even more important than vertical one since in landings it gives you a better awareness of your location in respect of the runway. And in VFR it gives a nice vision of the world.
There it is a screenshot in P3Dv2, TNCM (I come from a 27 inch 1080p monitor).
http://imageshack.com/a/img843/5573/6okg.jpg

6okg.jpg

Good stuff.
Once again, the key here is people are referencing the "awareness" and "immersion" and "VFR".
Totally agree with the benefits there.

For IFR practice that I do, however, losing the vertical pixel real estate is a big issue.

I gave in and bought a EVGA GTX 780 SC. :D My wallet is hurting now and my roof is getting done on Saturday. At least I get a lot of CC points for vacation.

Regarding lighting around/behind monitors, lighting affects how your eyes perceive brightness, contrast and saturation. That's why I mentioned in a previous post that maintaining the same lighting levels in the room is important, otherwise your calibrated or tweaked settings "change" to your eyes drastically. Even baseline calibration is done right up against the screen in a dark room usually, which is usually nothing like the lighting environment the screen is actually used in. My tv allows me to save four sets of quick select screen settings. I use them to watch tv in full daylight (window is behind the tv), dusk/dim, and full darkness. Without switching the settings, the tv content will look very pale, or overly bright respectively. I also can swap between a few of the 4 sets to fine tune varying darkness video content on a per movie/show basis. Since I can't do the same with my monitor quite as easily (can probably be done with hotkeys or drop down presets in driver software though).. I just try to maintain similar lighting levels in my pc "studio"/gaming theatre" from day to night using lamps.

Regarding losing height from a 30" 2560x1600, please be aware that the 30" 's pixels are a lot larger than 27" 2560x1440 for example, so the perceived pixel count height loss is larger than it actually is. At a more equivalent viewing distance vs perceived pixel size, the actual pixel height count difference becomes apparent and it is less than the oversized 30" pixels (and resulting physical screen size) would imply. Also be aware that most 1st/3rd person games use HOR+ so running 16:9 content even on a 16:10 monitor is better imo, and 21:9 even better than that being same height locked yet wider virtual lens.

4k_21x9_2560x-27in-and-30in_1080p_same-ppi.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding lighting around/behind monitors, lighting affects how your eyes perceive brightness, contrast and saturation. That's why I mentioned in a previous post that maintaining the same lighting levels in the room is important, otherwise your calibrated or tweaked settings "change" to your eyes drastically. Even baseline calibration is done right up against the screen in a dark room usually, which is usually nothing like the lighting environment the screen is actually used in. My tv allows me to save four sets of quick select screen settings. I use them to watch tv in full daylight (window is behind the tv), dusk/dim, and full darkness. Without switching the settings, the tv content will look very pale, or overly bright respectively. I also can swap between a few of the 4 sets to fine tune varying darkness video content on a per movie/show basis. Since I can't do the same with my monitor quite as easily (can probably be done with hotkeys or drop down presets in driver software though).. I just try to maintain similar lighting levels in my pc "studio"/gaming theatre" from day to night using lamps.

Regarding losing height from a 30" 2560x1600, please be aware that the 30" 's pixels are a lot larger than 27" 2560x1440 for example, so the perceived pixel count height loss is larger than it actually is. At a more equivalent viewing distance vs perceived pixel size, the actual pixel height count difference becomes apparent and it is less than the oversized 30" pixels would imply.

4k_21x9_2560x-27in-and-30in_1080p_same-ppi.jpg

Good information.
The pixel height lost I'm referring to doesn't correspond to the perceived loss but the actual loss of the physical number of pixels.

To the simulator that's all that matters in terms of how much of the instrument panel can fit on the screen (short of zooming out and making things smaller).

In fact losing vertical pixels combined with having the actual pixels be smaller makes it even worse for my case, no?

Please correct me if wrong.

The point was not the actual pixel count loss, but that the oversized pixels and screen size of a 30" does not correspond 1:1 vs a 16:9 or 21:9 screen so the height gain/loss is usually perceived as much more than it actual is (since the 30" screen size increase is larger than the pixel difference addition). As far as perceived pixel sizes, they are close enough that you could move a monitor closer or further away until they were more equivalent. I have no problem with a 108.8 ppi at normal viewing distances though, nor a 17" laptop that is like 136ppi I think.

Depending on the flight game, much like some driving games, some dog fighting flight games especially benefit from visually seeing your opponents/targets in your periphery rather than on instrumentation.

So far everyone that has posted that they have the monitor they love it. I hope i love it. Ive never paid this much for a monitor. I have a 27' 1440p korean. I have a Gtx 780..right now im playing elder scrolls online. I can't wait to see it!!

The point was not the actual pixel count loss, but that the oversized pixels and screen size of a 30" does not correspond 1:1 vs a 16:9 or 21:9 screen so the height gain/loss is usually perceived as much more than it actual is (since the 30" screen size increase is larger than the pixel difference addition). As far as perceived pixel sizes, they are close enough that you could move a monitor closer or further away until they were more equivalent. I have no problem with a 108.8 ppi at normal viewing distances though, nor a 17" laptop that is like 136ppi I think.

But how does the impact the fact that the flight simulator software will only draw X amount of instrument panel in a given number of pixels?

Regardless of how physically large or small they are, aren't there simply less pixels for which that simulator to draw the instruments and thus you'd need to zoom out to see the same actual amount of instruments?

yes but I wanted to make sure you and others realize that the physical 30" screen size, pixel size (and 30" physical screen height) is in fact a lot larger(taller) than the actual pixel height difference, so pixel wise the difference is less than the screen sizes imply.

I've seen some flight sim setups that use small monitors for instrumentation below the main monitors in a multi monitor setup (they usually use triple monitor for wide aspect), or plug in instrumentation peripherals. I don't know if that would work with your particular game(s) of choice though.

yes but I wanted to make sure you and others realize that the physical 30" screen size, pixel size (and 30" physical screen height) is in fact a lot larger(taller) than the actual pixel height difference, so pixel wise the difference is less than the screen sizes imply.

I've seen some flight sim setups that use small monitors for instrumentation below the main monitors in a multi monitor setup (they usually use triple monitor for wide aspect), or plug in instrumentation peripherals. I don't know if that would work with your particular game(s) of choice though.

Got it.
Think I'm on the same page finally. haha.

yeah, extra monitor setup can work, just not well for my current setup.

Anyways. Looking forward to seeing one of these in person some time.

an easy test would be to run your game in 16:9 mode on your 16:10 monitor and look at the instrumentation.

an easy test would be to run your game in 16:9 mode on your 16:10 monitor and look at the instrumentation.

Haha. Way ahead of you.

That's what started me off with concerns about this monitor in the first place actually.
Cuts off just enough of the panel to bother me. Zoom out a touch and things become difficult to see and interact with.

It's subtle...just have to see in person if it's a trade I want to make.

How is the monitor motion blur and input lag wise?
I'll have the money ready this month but I am afraid to buy it because I don't know how good it is for gaming.

Hmmm for a flight sim I will say both height and width is important.

16:10 is the solution you need for more height but it has less width than 16:9 and 21:9.
I think 21:9 at 3440x1440 falls nicely in between the two, the width benefits of 16:9 with some of the 16:10 height.

I can see your decision isn't an easy one.

Last edited:
Hmmm for a flight sim I will say both height and width is important.

16:10 is the solution you need for more height but it has less width than 16:9 and 21:9.
I think 21:9 at 3440x1440 falls nicely in between the two, the width benefits of 16:9 with some of the 16:10 height.

I can see your decision isn't an easy one.

Looks like I'll be finding out.
Microcenter seemed to disregard my cancellation request (done by phone) and has shipped it to me.

haha.
So...... Flight Sim Training review of the monitor coming this weekend! haha.

Every very dedicated flight Sim setup I have seen uses triple monitor for a wide aspect. Extreme ones use extra monitors or instrumentation lug in peripherals on top of that.

Every very dedicated flight Sim setup I have seen uses triple monitor for a wide aspect. Extreme ones use extra monitors or instrumentation lug in peripherals on top of that.

This simply depends upon what you're trying to do.
All I do is keep fresh on procedures.

Not trying to simulate actual muscle memory of equipment placement, etc.

Simply to keep fresh and up to speed for the "real flying" that I do.

I also use X-Plane which isn't quite as flexible in terms of pushing instruments off to another monitor without running separate instances of the sim and/or using multiple machines (no interest in doing all that for what I need)

Microcenter Detroit had some in stock according to the site, so I raced over only to learn that web orders took them. :(. If anyone really does not want to pick up their Detroit Um95, please feel free to drop me a line!

I was hoping to receive mine this week, but its still in Germany and has barely moved. No delivery on Saturday so I'm pretty much screwed on that one. Bleh.

It's probably what I paid for, in terms of delivery, but still. I had no idea it was going to be this slow.

It's not perfect but for those wanting more YouTube options, you might want to try YouTube resizer add-on for Firefox or Chrome. It allows you to drag the right side of the YouTube video window to resize it. If you fiddle around and make your browser instance larger than your desktop size/screen, you should be able to view the video content part without bars as long as it's aspect ratio matches. It might be easier with another monitor in the array though, so you could drag the edge of the browser window around using the other screen. Software that remembers window positions might also help.

Microcenter Detroit had some in stock according to the site, so I raced over only to learn that web orders took them. :(. If anyone really does not want to pick up their Detroit Um95, please feel free to drop me a line!

They have 1 left. I just got home with mine. They had 2 in stock.

ambxlights.png

I own the Mad Catz Cyborg Gaming Lights and found them interesting for a while, but mostly just a gimmick. One of them broke and won't stay at the proper height adjustment anymore.

Use them daily. They are NOT a gimmick, or a joke when you get them working correctly. Backlighting and massively immersive for me. I cant be without them

Last edited:
So far everyone that has posted that they have the monitor they love it. I hope i love it. Ive never paid this much for a monitor. I have a 27' 1440p korean. I have a Gtx 780..right now im playing elder scrolls online. I can't wait to see it!!

That 27" will look great next to it ;)

Yes I think a lot of us have been curious to see a picture of a 27" 2560x1440 (LG~>korean/cinema display, etc) next to one of these 21:9 's , lined up so that they match.

I have a 27" Hazro 1440p and a LG 27" 1080p so i'll be sure to take a few pictures when mine arrives during next week. My LG 27" looks very similar to the UM95 so it should be a nice fit.

Back