34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Sigh.....guys....Ok, I'm going to clear up a bunch of confusion going on lately. First Brent's Costco thing.

My only thing with Costco is, if I'm buying a product with a known issue that the manufacturer doesn't seem to be taking care of well, I buy from a friendly source. If they fix the bleed issue at some point, then I can swap it or get my money back easily.

But yeah, would be great if the commercial display didn't have the issue. And warranty's are great, except when there's a somewhat subject issue involved. The panel fails, you're good. Your panel is assessed for a subject issue, then LG gets to decide if it's "bad enough".

Mine just came from Costco- May production date, rev 0.2. This sucker is huge- I knew it was large, but I'm not sure I was quite prepared for just how big it actually is. I haven't noticed any glow and the backlight seems consistent across the whole panel. It's a really awesome display.

Edit: don't forget 3% cash back if you're a Costco exec member with an AMEX.

Last edited:
Picked up the UM95 today at Frys in Sacramento. All they had left was the floor model and a open box return. I took the open box home for a 5% discount and added a 2yr warranty just in case. The box says Rev 02 and the MFG date is June. So far loving it. Minor IPS glow (coming from a samsung s27a750d) Minimal backlight bleed on the corners but as someone said if you move your head towards the sides it goes away, almost like its to wide or something. Anyhow, the only negative is the FPS of games. I have dual 7970's but one is starting to artifact so I"m primarily running 1x7970. Divinity Original Sin went from 100 fps average on my s27a750d to ~38-42 fps average at native. Same story with sniper elite 2. This monitor begs for a next gen vid card.

Picked up the UM95 today at Frys in Sacramento. All they had left was the floor model and a open box return. I took the open box home for a 5% discount and added a 2yr warranty just in case. The box says Rev 02 and the MFG date is June. So far loving it. Minor IPS glow (coming from a samsung s27a750d) Minimal backlight bleed on the corners but as someone said if you move your head towards the sides it goes away, almost like its to wide or something. Anyhow, the only negative is the FPS of games. I have dual 7970's but one is starting to artifact so I"m primarily running 1x7970. Divinity Original Sin went from 100 fps average on my s27a750d to ~38-42 fps average at native. Same story with sniper elite 2. This monitor begs for a next gen vid card.

I'm maxing pretty much every game on a single 780 Ti @ 60FPS, and that includes 2-4x AA. The only exceptions i've really found are Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light, which are still playable at max but not a solid 60FPS at all times. They are also the most demanding games on the market to my knowledge?

It's not that much harder to run than 1440p, I honestly notice almost no difference in FPS. 1440p is 3.68 million pixels, while this is 4.95 million. To go from 100fps to 38-42fps, you'd need to basically double the pixels and then some, something like 4K at 8.29 million pixels. It seems like you should be getting more. :confused:

Last edited:
Good news is that the 34um94 seems to be popping up around for $850 around the interwebs. I'd imagine the $800 price point is entirely realistic from massdrop.

http://www.provantage.com/lg-electronics-34um94-p~ALGTV00U.htm

http://www.shopblt.com/item/lg-electronics-34um94-p-34in-widescreen-led/lge_34um94p.html

Not too sure about the reputability of these merchants.

I have a gut feeling that it's a typo because the specification listed are incorrect or incomplete.

Also NCIX Canada site also lists a 34 model as well but I doubt its the 34, probably a mistaken 35.
http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-34um94-p-34in-ultrawide-3440x1440-dd-99767.htm

Noticeable IPS glow in the corners just because this screen is so wide. You move your head over to the corner and it disappears.

Minimal backlight bleed on the corners but as someone said if you move your head towards the sides it goes away, almost like its to wide or something.

The bleeding in the corner can only be seen when the game is very dark or during black loading screens.

The lower right hand side is barely noticeable and disappears if you move your head

Man, if only they would have made these panels with just a slight curve to wrap around the user and/or some local dimming tech, I'm really thinking the IPS glow issues would be a lot less pronounced on such a wide screen when viewed at a close distance.

Curved panels might be considered gimmicky on TVs and smartphones, but this is definitely one application where it might be incredibly helpful for improving the viewing quality.

I'm maxing pretty much every game on a single 780 Ti @ 60FPS, and that includes 2-4x AA. The only exceptions i've really found are Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light, which are still playable at max but not a solid 60FPS at all times. They are also the most demanding games on the market to my knowledge?

It's not that much harder to run than 1440p, I honestly notice almost no difference in FPS. 1440p is 3.68 million pixels, while this is 4.95 million. To go from 100fps to 38-42fps, you'd need to basically double the pixels and then some, something like 4K at 8.29 million pixels. It seems like you should be getting more. :confused:

The resolution is almost exactly 2x a 1080p @~2.5m pixels

I'm wondering if its not just the double amount of pixels but perhaps a limitation of the card itself or something.

I'm wondering if its not just the double amount of pixels but perhaps a limitation of the card itself or something.

Ah that explains it, I could of swore the S27A750D was 1440p. I was thinking of the S27A850D.

If memory serves.... The 780 Ti is about 30%-35% faster than a single 7970, that may be why. I think after you get the second one replaced, you'll get 60FPS in pretty much all titles. :)

So, for games like MMO (FF XIV), some strategy stuff, also RPGs which would bring more fun - full 4K standard 16:9 screen or those 21:9 34"? I'm getting new display soon, and kinda torn between better field of view or better resolution :)

Beachcamera and buy dig has the 34UM95 in stock and for sale on their ebay pages for $999 with free ship! Trying to resist!!!

Beachcamera

BuyDig

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Price change at Amazon today on the 34UM95..

Dropped to $929 (but still temporarily out-of-stock) from Amazon, LLC and $899 plus $11 S&H from Tiger Direct at Amazon (only 1 in-stock).

I've had very good luck with Accell cables. I'm currently using a three meter cable from them (DP 1.2) and have had zero issues.

In the past, I've also used the mini-DP to DP adapters that came with some Sapphire brand video cards without issue.

Monoprice.com also sells the DP cables you need. I have bought from them recently and didn't have a problem. I would recommend buying from them if you cant find it elsewhere.

I retired my triple NEC 2490WUXi monitor setup for this dual setup.

Good enough to unseat the king, huh? I am still using one of those myself.

I echo the request: I'd love to see pics of your new setup.

You know that says shipping in 1 to 4 MONTHS....I can only see that the 3 foot cable ships in days.

Try ordering direct from Accell...the price is the same as amazon with shipping.

I tried Monoprice for cables, but they didn't have any 1.2 cables with a mini end and even though displayport.org said there isn't any difference, LG suggested 1.2 Displayport cables.

HDMI is very annoying capping it at 30 FPS...I can't believe how bad it looks at times with some games.

doug_7506
Can you snap a pic of them side by side!?!
Q-BZ

I am away on business this week, I will post a few pictures when I get back in the office.

doug_7506
Q-BZ

I am away on business this week, I will post a few pictures when I get back in the office.

Awesome! I really want to see this too.

anyone get theirs from adorama? i just preordered since the price went back down to 900 but seems like they are slower than the rest

Last edited:

After more testing and a new video card, I think its just that Assassins Creed: Black Flag on the PC is just a buggy program...the Batman didn't have any issues after new sound card and World of Tanks never showed any problems.

You know that says shipping in 1 to 4 MONTHS....I can only see that the 3 foot cable ships in days.

Well I placed an order for this yesterday, from the comments on amazon, someone was using it with their Macbook and it worked with the monitor. I still have no idea where the hell the Accell cable is even though it got shipped the 11th. I paid an extra $3 for overnight shipping so I'll have it today and hopefully 60hz frame rates too

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7RL33M/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Now that I've had this monitor for a few days some odd glitches have started. When the computer puts the monitor into standby from non use (mine is set to 30 minutes) it will not wake up. The power light will flash. The backlight will come on and off. Then nothing. I have to powercycle the monitor and then its fine.

Every 30m or so the monitor will go black for a second or two then back on. Almost like the old days of switching resolution on a CRT.

Periodically during mostly web browsing I will see a horizontal line about 1/2 inch shoot across the screen near the center for a quick 1/2 second or so.

I'm thinking it could be the DP connector (i have a monoprice DP to Mini DP) that could be the problem. Tested on 2 7970's and same on both. I placed an order for the Accell cable being talked about.

Could it be the DP 1.2 On/Off setting in the monitors settings? What exactly does that do since I get 60hz on either on/off states?

Lastly could be a flaw with the 7970 series cards or my power supply or something. :confused:

I've been eyeing these 3440x1440 monitors with great interest since the Dell was announced last year. I'd have already purchased an LG 34UM95-P, except for the fact that I require a KVM switch to make my setup work.

I've researched Displayport KVM switches a good bit. Almost all of them seem to be older 1.1 switches that max at 2560x1600 resolution or less. The only good prospect I've found so far, is a line of "secure" Belkin KVMs, which start around $800 for the 2 port model.

Does anyone have any experience using these 3440x1440 monitors successfully with the Belkin switches, or any other displayport KVM switches?

Another solution I've been considering, is building a new system with an Asrock motherboard that supports external Displayport pass through, so that you can use a real graphics card with a Thunderbolt display. In theory, this would allow me to use the built in kvm-ish type functionality that the LG monitor has.

I think the way it works, is something like:
When the monitor is switched to the thunderbolt input, the USB ports are hooked up to a USB device on the Thunderbolt bus.
When it's switched to the displayport input, the USB ports act as a USB HUB.

I've seen some mention of people with a Mac and a PC using this switching functionality. Has anyone here used the monitor's "built-in kvm"? If so how quick was switching between the 2 systems?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the DP-in functionality on an Asrock motherboard? Or are there any other boards which provide DP->thunderbolt passthrough? I've found some "Thunderbolt add-in boards", which have Displayport passthrough, but they're system specific. So far I've seen them for a handful of Asus and MSI motherboards, and for some specific HP Z series workstations.

I'm thinking it could be the DP connector (i have a monoprice DP to Mini DP) that could be the problem. Tested on 2 7970's and same on both. I placed an order for the Accell cable being talked about.

It's possible it's the cable. There's an issue where non-compliant DP cables connect pins that they shouldn't. And supposedly the monoprice cables had this flaw at one point.

It's also possible that it's the 7970. I had terrible sleep issues with my HP ZR2740w monitors hooked up via displayport to a 7970. I tried multiple sets of cables(Including the Accell adapters), I tried the tape trick, and I think I even verified that the voltage wasn't getting through with a DMM. But I just couldn't get the monitors to sleep and wake reliably. Eventually I gave up and replaced the 7970 with a GTX680 and I haven't had an issue since. Supposedly the GTX-680s work properly even with bad cables.

I hope the Accell cables work for you.

doug_7506
Q-BZ

Yay! :D

Has anyone else received theirs from Amazon yet? This is taking for ever. Every time I call, they say they know nothing. So far Ive convinced them to drop price to 899.99, waive the prime overnight shipping and give me 100 off another order. I just want an estimate when it will ship. What good is 899.99 price if it take them six months to get it to me.

I just noticed something strange on my monitor after owning it for 2 weeks or so. I was scrolling down a website and all the sudden there was a "tear" right down the middle of the screen. It was only there for about one second, but it is worrisome. I know the left and right sides of this screen are controlled by different controllers, and perhaps they just came un-synced for a split second. I've heard others post similar things.

This monitor really does have some major firmware issues that hopefully can be addressed with a firmware update:
- DisplayPort 1.2 sometimes results in flickering until disabled. Can't get 8bit+FRC without it.
- When the backlight automatically turns off on a solid black picture, your monitor can sometimes get stuck in a dimmed state.
- Issue mentioned above.

Has anyone contact LG yet? Another user on another forum claimed we'll get a firmware update "soon" but that was weeks ago.

Has anyone else received theirs from Amazon yet? This is taking for ever. Every time I call, they say they know nothing. So far Ive convinced them to drop price to 899.99, waive the prime overnight shipping and give me 100 off another order. I just want an estimate when it will ship. What good is 899.99 price if it take them six months to get it to me.

There's been 2-3 shipments from Amazon so far based on the thread, and the initial wait time was due to a recall of the monitor. Not sure what's going on now, Costco doesn't even list the monitor anymore and that's where I bought it.

Last edited:
I just noticed something strange on my monitor after owning it for 2 weeks or so. I was scrolling down a website and all the sudden there was a "tear" right down the middle of the screen. It was only there for about one second, but it is worrisome. I know the left and right sides of this screen are controlled by different controllers, and perhaps they just came un-synced for a split second. I've heard others post similar things.

This monitor really does have some major firmware issues that hopefully can be addressed with a firmware update:
- DisplayPort 1.2 sometimes results in flickering until disabled. Can't get 8bit+FRC without it.
- When the backlight automatically turns off on a solid black picture, your monitor can sometimes get stuck in a dimmed state.
- Issue mentioned above.

Has anyone contact LG yet? Another user on another forum claimed we'll get a firmware update "soon" but that was weeks ago.

There's been 2-3 shipments from Amazon so far based on the thread, and the initial wait time was due to a recall of the monitor. Not sure what's going on now, Costco doesn't even list the monitor anymore and that's where I bought it.

Well thats interesting. Part of me wants to give up waiting and settle for something else. but I just love how this display looks. Ive considered a thunderbolt display.. Im just so torn. Sick of looking at my empty standing desk. I guess ill give it a little more time.

Well thats interesting. Part of me wants to give up waiting and settle for something else. but I just love how this display looks. Ive considered a thunderbolt display.. Im just so torn. Sick of looking at my empty standing desk. I guess ill give it a little more time.

It has upgradeable firmware to my knowledge, so all these issues will likely be fixed. Even in it's current state I would recommend it. DisplayPort 1.2 is disabled by default, and I assume that is because they are aware of the issue.

The dimming thing hasn't happen to me outside of testing to see if it happens. I could see it happening in Movies though, which I never watch on this. Games always have something on the screen, a loading icon, a piece of UI, etc. Even the cursor keeps it from dimming.

This monitor is not powered by separate controllers. No idea where you heard that.

I had flickering with mine initially in DP 1.2 mode,but it went away. Maybe an NV driver update fixed it. My unit is from May.

This monitor is not powered by separate controllers. No idea where you heard that.

I had flickering with mine initially in DP 1.2 mode,but it went away. Maybe an NV driver update fixed it. My unit is from May.

Multiple people have stated it uses 2 controllers... Has LG ever stated it doesn't? I've seen screenshots of faulty 34UM95s that have a straight line down the dead center of the screen where one side is correct and the other side is brighter/dimmer/different tint/etc leading me to believe there is definitely something controlling each side of the panel, early speculation on the monitor assumed that's how LG achieved the 3440x1440 resolution in this panel.

DP1.2 issues go away for me too, then I turn the monitor off for the night, come back the next day, and they are immediately apparent again. Mine doesn't just flicker, it starts shaking the picture violently after a few minutes of flickering.

Last edited:
Multiple people have stated it uses 2 controllers... Has LG ever stated it doesn't? I've seen screenshots of faulty 34UM95s that have a straight line down the dead center of the screen where one side is correct and the other side is brighter/dimmer/different tint/etc leading me to believe there is definitely something controlling each side of the panel, early speculation on the monitor assumed that's how LG achieved the 3440x1440 resolution in this panel.

DP1.2 issues go away for me too, then I turn the monitor off for the night, come back the next day, and they are immediately apparent again. Mine doesn't just flicker, it starts shaking the picture violently after a few minutes of flickering.

No. But if it used separate controllers that means the display would be using some form of DisplayPort MST, which early 4K panels used to achieve 60 Hz. This is not necessary for 3440x1440 (better controllers have come out since and it's not necessary for 4K anymore either). Also, this LG doesn't suffer from any MST related issues, like booting to a half blank screen or not waking up on sleep.

Do you have links to any photos of this issue? That's quite strange really... I calibrated mine with an i1 Display Pro but even at stock settings it looks uniform as far as brightness / colors go across the entire panel.

As for the DP 1.2 issue, I turn mine off at night too. The flickering happened shortly after a cold boot but I cannot reproduce this anymore. Have updated my drivers since so that's why I thought they had something to do with it.

As a guy who has a 4k as well as this one, the reason 4k uses MST isn't because of a controller it's because DP 1.2 and HDMI 1.4 can't push enough data fast enough. Nothing to do with controller's. DP 1.1 has no problem with 34X14

I finally got a good 2nd display. I have these 2 stacked. My Ergotron Arms couldnt keep these beasts up. Pretty happy with the setup though!

photo.JPG

Driven by a Titan, HDMI on the top (Also thunderbolt for my MacBook Pro Retina) and the bottom Displayport

Back