32 or 64 bit?

LateraLex

Limp Gawd
I know this has been discussed to death, but I couldn't figure out how to search for it (3 character limit makes things like "32" hard to search for).

I am running 64 on my personal PC, and just bought my sister this laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114930

I have a retail Win 7 disc - I would probably lean to 64 bit if it was my own machine but am leaning to 32 bit for her. Only because you sometimes have to hunt a little more for the 64 version of whatever software you are downloading.

Any strong opinions (or tips on how to search for 2 character variables!)

go 64bit

32bit software runs just fine on a 64bit OS. The ONLY thing she'll need is 64bit drivers but windows 7 should handle most, if not everything, for her.

32 bit software will run just fine. Its the drivers you need to worry about but unless she has some really old device that she wants to use it shouldn't be a problem.

Not only that, the laptop you linked, says it comes with Win7 64bit... why would you downgrade it?

Little reason to go with the x86 version unless you're trying to put it on an old (pre-Core2) system with 2GB of RAM or less and no intention of upgrading hardware.

Ok, 64 sounds the right move here. I wouldn't really downgrade it - just wipe it completely clean to get off whatever crap Toshiba packages the laptop with.

Any advice on searching the forums next time ;)?

Use the words 32-bit or 32 bit instead of just 32. Or perhaps 32 vs 64 or maybe Man vs Wild.

What does Man vs Wild have to do with this thread? Absolutely nothing.

or just scrolling through the OS forum section for a few pages would of shown some results :D

The laptop already comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit installed, that's all that needed to be pointed out.

Only suggestion to be offered is: as soon as the laptop arrives and it's powered up for the first time, make the "recovery" discs using the tools Toshiba provides - no manufacturers include discs in the box anymore so, you won't find a Toshiba branded copy of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 in it. Make the discs before actually doing much of anything with the laptop, and after they're made make a copy of those (and please, verify the damned burns - it takes twice as long but it's worth it).

After that, enjoy the laptop.

/thread

Ok, 64 sounds the right move here. I wouldn't really downgrade it - just wipe it completely clean to get off whatever crap Toshiba packages the laptop with.

Any advice on searching the forums next time ;)?

I bought my wife a Toshiba laptop for Christmas last year. I was pleasantly surprised to see nothing annoying installed on it. I removed a couple of things she would never use, but nothing intrusive. Their image was rather clean and to this day I haven't reinstalled the operating system and it's running fantastic.

IMO windows 7 x86 is really just for compatibility for old hardware. Everyone should be using x64. My advice would be reversed if we were talking about XP though, x64 on that just wasn't mature.

I know this has been discussed to death, but I couldn't figure out how to search for it (3 character limit makes things like "32" hard to search for).

I am running 64 on my personal PC, and just bought my sister this laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114930

I have a retail Win 7 disc - I would probably lean to 64 bit if it was my own machine but am leaning to 32 bit for her. Only because you sometimes have to hunt a little more for the 64 version of whatever software you are downloading.

Any strong opinions (or tips on how to search for 2 character variables!)
I would go 32 unless I know for sure the user understands the difference or hardware justified it (over 4GB of ram). Keep in mind 95% of guys here are so hardcore that they think that you're wrong for not being hardcore, so expect a lot of "go 64!" without any thought behind it. A quad core and 8GB of ram is a solitaire machine around here.

I would go 64 unless I know for sure the user is using some piece of crap old hardware that absolutely wouldn't support 32, and even then I'd suggest they upgrade that hardware. 64-bit offers hardware level security features that aren't even possible in 32-bit mode. Not only is it more secure but it leaves any future upgrade paths to >3GB RAM, and lets face it, solitare barely runs on 3GB of RAM any more.

I would go 32 unless I know for sure the user understands the difference or hardware justified it (over 4GB of ram). Keep in mind 95% of guys here are so hardcore that they think that you're wrong for not being hardcore, so expect a lot of "go 64!" without any thought behind it. A quad core and 8GB of ram is a solitaire machine around here.

And why not "go 64?" Why should the user have to stick with 32-bit if they don't know the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems? There isn't any valid reason to stick with 32-bit Windows unless you have older hardware, and that's not an issue here. Therefore, going with 64-bit Windows can only bring performance improvements, which I guarantee everyone can appreciate.

Better performance, stability, and security are all reasons to use 64-bit Windows; having greater than 4 gigs of memory isn't the only legit reason. That said, I'm never going to justify the move with "rawr its harcore d00d."

Another vote for 64-bit. Though you should do research to make sure every program she's using doesn't have any issues. Also be aware that a 64-bit OS can't run any 16-bit programs, which a lot of older software(10years or more) use for installation. I had to stop playing SimCity 2000 on my main system because of that.

Everyone here is running 64 bit including myself. That said however, I would say install whatever is most compatible for the user. I've still got my parents on 32 bit so they can keep using the scanner they have. The average user isn't going to know the difference and with the specs of that laptop (4GB or less) neither will you.

Another vote for 64-bit. Though you should do research to make sure every program she's using doesn't have any issues. Also be aware that a 64-bit OS can't run any 16-bit programs, which a lot of older software(10years or more) use for installation. I had to stop playing SimCity 2000 on my main system because of that.

DOSBOX works for dungeon keeper on 64bit win7. Would work for the DOS version.

Stick with 64 bit if the system has 4GB or more of RAM. If not, then look at the programs that are going to be used. If there are any business apps that don't run in 64 bit, and plenty don't, then switch. People keep saying hardware, but if Toshiba ships the system with 64 bit on it, then they obviously have drivers for it!!!

We do 32bit installs at work for customers with older applications, and for systems with less than 4GB RAM. I believe those are the only reasons for using 32 bit on a new system.

Just a small note. 32bit OS is 4gb of total ram. So it's 4gb - Vram. 1gb discrete graphics and you'll have 3gb ram to play with. Toshiba do have 64bit drivers. But you should check your compatibility with the programs you are wanting to use. If their older, lower ram won't be much of an issue.
Another option is to run 64bit with the VM version of XP that comes with win7 to run all the old programs. Youd be limited to 512mb of ram, but its for old programs anyway.

At work, we have a POS web based "vpn" that doesn't support 64 bit OS. It's such a pain trying to explain to people their new fancy spancy computer doesn't support the application they want to use.

...and they never call us BEFORE buying a new system. They just run out and buy stuff and then bitch at us because they didn't check before hand.

...and I'm not trying to walk someone through setting up a VM.

/rant

I think you should have her list any hardware/software that is "mission critical" in her eyes and make the decision from that point.

^^ lol
You don't know our users.

They struggle with the "open a browser" part. I have to resort to,
"Do you see the big blue E?"
"Ma'am - I need you to click the button labeled Start"
"With the mouse"
"The left button on the mouse"
"Single click...with the left button...on the little oval shaped thing on the pad with your kid's face on it..."

At my old job, I once had to teach Dreamweaver to a bunch of administrative assistants who didn't know what I meant when I said "open Internet Explorer."

Then I realized some of them didn't understand copy and paste either.

64-bit, definitely. As my sig says, "Use 64 bit where you can, and 32 bit where you must."

Definetely 64, no wait, 32. On second thoughts 64, or maybe 32? Well, I lean toward 64bit, but 32 may be a better choice.

Ok that's it 64 bit. Or did I mean 32?

Can't we just go back to 16bit or better yet 8 bit?
:D:D

Back