3090 sli

It’s basically for benchmarking and world record over clocking. Not practical for gaming.

I was watching jaztwocents video from a few days ago he had said msi was the only one out with an SL

Sorry i ment the tech guy jaz his video from a few days ago maybe he was saying msi is the only one out with a sli bridge right now and he didnt understand why they were the only ones. On another note i go up almost 18 fps when using the sli so it does help somewhat is 1500 worth it for 18 fps thats another story...

I think the important point is that SLI requires software support. Even if you have everything plugged in, if the game or app doesn't support it, it won't do jack except waste electricity. Sure the cost is crazy but if it actually did something, some people some where would justify spending that amount of cash.

Yep, Nvidia is officially never supporting SLI and the 3090 for gaming. Officially, no DX11 games at all via SLI profiles for the 30 series, and all older series will stop getting new SLI profiles/updated SLI profiles starting January 2021. Google it and you'll see tons of tech sites reporting on it.

So you want two 3090s anyways, what games will work? Some benchmarks, and any game that adds mGPU support via DX12 / Vulkan (there's like, 3 games in 2 years).

I am not the best at tech talk, but why ? wont they or anyone suppost it if it can double the power whats the problem?

I am not the best at tech talk, but why ? wont they or anyone suppost it if it can double the power whats the problem?
It takes time to implement it in any API. With DX9 and DX11, Nvidia assisted game developers directly. With DX12 mGPU, Nvidia straight up said that game developers are on their own - and that's why we have so very, very, very few DX12/Vulkan games that support mGPU.

Time = money. Game devs (for the most part) don't care enough about the 1% or less of the gamer population to warrant the cost to them.

Two cards doesn't magically double the power if the game isn't programmed to utilize two cards. Even then, even in the best scenarios, it doesn't scale 1:1 and it introduces other problems.

There's a reason SLI is dead. SLI sucked.

All the downsides of SLI have already been discussed to death. Funny enough we probably still have a few delusional people out there claiming SLI works great for them which is laughable. Even many AAA games flat out did not support multi gpu at all and nearly no smaller games did. And of the games that did there were numerus potential issues such as poor scaling, stutter, and flickering. And then a game or driver update could also bork multi gpu support. A few people get off on always chasing down fixes and workarounds so SLI was fine for them but now even Nvidia has seen how stupid it is to waste any more time on it.

Ok, but bad news is that single RTX 3090 OC to the MAX still handle about 90 fps on most AAA games. Optimized games like DOOM are only few of all.
Most of us like me planning to get 4K 120-144Hz monitors. We will stuck at 70-90 fps there.

Ok, but bad news is that single RTX 3090 OC to the MAX still handle about 90 fps on most AAA games. Optimized games like DOOM are only few of all.
Most of us like me planning to get 4K 120-144Hz monitors. We will stuck at 70-90 fps there.
Turn down settings :D, DLSS when available. Play at a lower resolution upscaled. Nvidia Control Panel allows you to create your own custom resolution, use DSR.

Turn down settings :D, DLSS when available. Play at a lower resolution upscaled. Nvidia Control Panel allows you to create your own custom resolution, use DSR.
Thank you, but why to get a big screen 4K Oled monitor when I need to reduce a lot of things ? Before that summer I have 2x Titan X Pascal and performance was abosilutelly the same like RTX 3090 so where is big improvement ?

Thank you, but why to get a big screen 4K Oled monitor when I need to reduce a lot of things ? Before that summer I have 2x Titan X Pascal and performance was abosilutelly the same like RTX 3090 so where is big improvement ?
The problem is more with what new games will effectively support SLI/mGPU, no use having it if the software does not use it. There are a few games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which is getting old now that is rather awesome for mGPU and not SLI. Besides there are many games that would exceed 120-144fps at 4K maxed out like older games and a number of newer games, just not all. Then again some of the settings can make a huge performance impact and have very little to no discernable quality difference. If you play all the older SLI titles, they should reasonably work well but then you probably in many cases would not need SLI with the 3090 anyways.

Yep, Nvidia is officially never supporting SLI and the 3090 for gaming. Officially, no DX11 games at all via SLI profiles for the 30 series
Can you provide a source for this comment? I have looked and cannot find a source claiming 3090 SLI DX11, DX10, or DX9 games are not supported. It would be really cool for someone to play The Witcher 3 at 4K on a 3090 SLI setup. If it worked you should get a constant 120 fps.

Can you provide a source for this comment? I have looked and cannot find a source claiming 3090 SLI DX11, DX10, or DX9 games are not supported. It would be really cool for someone to play The Witcher 3 at 4K on a 3090 SLI setup. If it worked you should get a constant 120 fps.
Here it is:

Why nobody testing such thing ... old games with RTX 3090 SLI ?

Reactions: noko
like this
Old DirectX 11 and lower games that support SLI won’t work anymore on 2x SLI RTX 3090. Nvidia purposely did some type of hardware or software limitation this generation. You have to use 2x SLI RTX 2080Ti or older to get SLI support on like those 500+ SLI profiled games.

As of today, there are only 14 games where 2x SLI RTX 3090 will work. These are DirectX12/Vulcan titles where the multi-GPU support task was put on the developers, not Nvidia. DX12 has been out for like 4 years now, and there’s only a dozen games to show for it. Many of these games are also years old and not even relevant anymore / you’ve probably already beaten.

SLI is officially dead, get over it. Even if you’re a rich kid it’s a dumb idea. This is coming from someone who use to have a 4x SLI Titans on a X79 setup. Nvidia now says you have to spend $3000+ on GPUs to play these 14 games going forward. SLI was already for top 1%, now it’s the top 0.1%. Do you really think game developers would put time & resources (for future titles) into the game for <0.1% of their customers who only spend $3000+ on GPU’s? Don’t be so naive. SLI is now dead no matter how much money you have.

Straight from Nvidia:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ort-transitioning-to-native-game-integrations

Existing SLI driver profiles will continue to be tested and maintained for SLI-ready RTX 20 Series and earlier GPUs.

For GeForce RTX 3090 and future SLI-capable GPUs, SLI will only be supported when implemented natively within the game.

What DirectX 12 games support SLI natively within the game?
DirectX 12 titles include Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Civilization VI, Sniper Elite 4, Gears of War 4, Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation, Strange Brigade, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Zombie Army 4: Dead War, Hitman, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Battlefield 1, and Halo Wars 2.

What Vulkan games support SLI natively within the game?
Vulkan titles include Red Dead Redemption 2, Quake 2 RTX, Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation, Strange Brigade, and Zombie Army 4: Dead War

Last edited:
From what I've read, of the new gen cards, only the 3090 can even support SLI from a physical connector point of view.

Now considering that the 3090 card = $1500 and SLI = x 2

How many gaming rigs do you think will actually have that? Now take that number and try to make a business case for a game dev to pay programmers to write support for it.

Google, took me 20 seconds to find an article that covered it fully:

https://m.hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/145585-nvidia-create-sli-driver-profiles-jan-2021/

Edit: The "natively implements it" part is referring to DX12/Vulkan.

Last edited:
Does sli still work with video editing and 3d modelling software?
Yes it works for compute work loads for programs that support it. Which I believe most the major ones do. For gaming it is dead. Some people can't seem to understand that and just want to throw their money away.

Well I am using it for video editing and 3d modelling, gaming I am more than happy with 1 card.

Does sli still work with video editing and 3d modelling software?
For some of those (most ?) you do not need an SLI/Crossfire setup it can use multiple card without having to be presented has if there was only one, i.e. multiple 3080 can work for video editing/CAD/Adobe encoding, SLI can be use to pool memory if your workload need more than the 24 GB of a 3090 too and not for the 3080.

So depending on your work load it could be worth it to see if 2x3080 (or a lot of 2080) isn't better than a single 3090 for example.

For some of those (most ?) you do not need an SLI/Crossfire setup it can use multiple card without having to be presented has if there was only one, i.e. multiple 3080 can work for video editing/CAD/Adobe encoding, SLI can be use to pool memory if your workload need more than the 24 GB of a 3090 too and not for the 3080.

So depending on your work load it could be worth it to see if 2x3080 (or a lot of 2080) isn't better than a single 3090 for example.

I am also waiting to see how the RTX A6000, curious to see if it's worth the extra cost.

After watching this video I see no point in buying 2 3090's for SLI gaming.

And just think only a couple months ago we had a person on here claiming that SLI has always worked great for them in every game. It's just hard to imagine that some people are that out of touch with reality and have deluded themselves that badly.

And just think only a couple months ago we had a person on here claiming that SLI has always worked great for them in every game. It's just hard to imagine that some people are that out of touch with reality and have deluded themselves that badly.

They were most likely running games that didnt support SLI, and were only using the one card and thinking it was using both of them. That way "SLI" could be running great in every game.

I cannot believe people bought 2x 3090's for gaming. On what planet did that purchase make sense.

Off the top of my head, I don't know of any modern game that supports SLI but man a geeks gotta love whatever game they are playing to be spending 3K to get some more FPS in it. Hopefully that same geek will also have paired it up to an equally awesome display setup (maybe a bank of monitors?).

But for normal 1 or 2 monitor setup, that's a big nope from me too for sure.

SLI is a bust. Nvidia is dropping support, and even when it was supported it kind of sucked.

Only a couple modern games actually worked, like Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Otherwise sometimes you got worse performance, or better FPS but choppy movement and microstutter.

Definitely not worth it.

I saw that review last night it is not so bad actually. But I expected much more fps on SOTR for example.

I saw that review last night it is not so bad actually. But I expected much more fps on SOTR for example.
Did we watch the same video? Buy two then. You seem dead set on doing it.

Last edited:
Back