3080Ti speculation

Will there be a 3080Ti

• Yes

Votes: 93 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 14.7%

• Total voters
I dont think there will be a 3080 Ti. the performance between the 3080 and 3090 is too close for a Ti version to make sense, using past examples.

There will probably be a 3080 Super released 6 or 7 months later. And there will be 20GB AIB 3080s as well. But I dont think nvidia is releasing their own 3080 with 20GB. I think the 3080 Super will likely close the gap between the 3080 and 3090, probably adding more cores and keeping the same 10GB of GDDR6X

The 3090 is what the 3080 ti would've been imo. They just changed the moniker for that tier now on the flag ship. There will definitely be a 3070 ti though, the gap between the 3070 and 3080 is large enough to warrant that
That is not true. They released the 1080ti which was slights faster then the original Titan xp. They later released a slightly faster refresh of the Titan XP.

I

I don’t think the naming matters as much as the price does. As long as 3080 beats 2080 Ti by 30%+ and only costs $700 then it’s a win regardless of what they named it. The 3090 is likely just a card for bragging rights until it’s replaced by something a lot cheaper by nvidia themselves after Big Navi makes a splash. The skies the limit with nvidia, look how many transistors they crammed in GA100. In reality no company can truly compete with them in the GPU world.

just found out that full GA102 has 10752 cores, so there's still likely a TITAN coming lol. insane

just found out that full GA102 has 10752 cores, so there's still likely a TITAN coming lol. insane

likely waiting for 2GB 6x chips for that... same with other Ti / Super cards i dont expect them to drop till Micron gets 2GB GDDR6X chips up and running. the lower end cards using GDDR6 adding more ram is easy as there already are cheap 2GB chips

I don’t think the naming matters as much as the price does. As long as 3080 beats 2080 Ti by 30%+ and only costs $700 then it’s a win regardless of what they named it. The 3090 is likely just a card for bragging rights until it’s replaced by something a lot cheaper by nvidia themselves after Big Navi makes a splash. The skies the limit with nvidia, look how many transistors they crammed in GA100. In reality no company can truly compete with them in the GPU world.

Agreed. People argue way to much over NVidia naming like everything related to that name has to be set in stone.

Though this release does feel like a return to Pascal structure in many ways.

If this does follow Pascal model, then we will probably see a 3080 Ti many months after 3080, much like 1080 Ti came many months after 1080. I'd expect similar performance to 3090 and significantly reduced pricing and I would think half the memory, in line with keeping price more reasonable.

If so, expect NVidia 3080 Ti to be a 11 or 12GB card with more cores with similar to 3090 performance, probably for $999 for NVidia FE model.

The Double memory models will all be AIB options if NVidia allows it. Expect hundreds of dollars more for the luxury of doubled GDDR6X. So a theoretical 3080 Ti with 22-24GB would still cost similar to 3090.

Is there going to be a 3080Ti?
There's definitely a place for it, price-wise.
But 3080 vs 3090, I'm not sure there will be more than 20% perf difference. Probably around 15%.
So 3080Ti will either be a disappointment or will be priced low like $800, or have to be faster than 3090, which is not going to happen.
I can see however 3080Ti happening for $800 and 15% performance bump over 3080 (which will be lowered to $650 or so), next year though.

Is there going to be a 3080Ti?
There's definitely a place for it, price-wise.
But 3080 vs 3090, I'm not sure there will be more than 20% perf difference. Probably around 15%.
So 3080Ti will either be a disappointment or will be priced low like $800, or have to be faster than 3090, which is not going to happen.
I can see however 3080Ti happening for $800 and 15% performance bump over 3080 (which will be lowered to $650 or so), next year though.

When has nVIdia ever competed with themselves by lowering their price to bring in a faster card at the old price? The pricing gap between a 3080 and 3090 is huge, zero chance that IF a 3080Ti happens, that it will sneak in at 3080 pricing. The only way that would ever happen is if AMD has a card that's faster than a 3080 for less $$$

There's no way there's /not/ a 3080Ti in 6-10 months, it really doesn't even require speculation threads. My guess $899

Knowing AMD is finally releasing some new GPUs, well of course Jensen kept a few aces up his sleeve. This is Pascal 2.0

There's no way there's /not/ a 3080Ti in 6-10 months, it really doesn't even require speculation threads. My guess $899

Knowing AMD is finally releasing some new GPUs, well of course Jensen kept a few aces up his sleeve. This is Pascal 2.0

With pascal they had the Titan X pascal that launched before the 1080ti, and was more or less matched by the 1080ti. What are the chances that a 3080ti can match the 3090? I bought that titan x pascal by the way and was shocked that 8 months later the 1080ti was there for 400 less.

^ Then maybe in 6 to 10 months Intel will release the cpu with PCIe 4.0 in Rocket Lake or whatever name. With its faster I/0 speed like AMD has. So do Intel users have to get new mobos or just pop in the Rocket Lake cpu into a few current mobos? edit: Don't know if that's going off topic but it could be a big expense for some of us to accompany a 3080ti.

Last edited:
I have been hearing that NVIDIA wants to simplify its product stack and naming schemes.

Just spitballing out loud here. Given what I think is going to be the gap between the 3080 and 3090, then included the inflated AIB prices that are likely going even higher in October, and the 20GB model coming, NV's product stack there is going to be incredibly compressed and maybe will not allow room for a Ti card even if they need it to combat Navi 21.

^ Then maybe in 6 to 10 months Intel will release the cpu with PCIe 4.0 in Rocket Lake or whatever name. With its faster I/0 speed like AMD has. So do Intel users have to get new mobos or just pop in the Rocket Lake cpu into a few current mobos? edit: Don't know if that's going off topic but it could be a big expense for some of us to accompany a 3080ti.
PCIe4 makes no difference on Ampere cards based on the tests released today since PCIe3 bandwidth still isn't being saturated, so 4.0 will remain mostly a gimmick for another generation at least.

Only exception is if RTX-IO were to start showing up in games and taxing the bus more.

Last edited:
Since NV is trying to streamline their product naming I don't see a Ti fitting in.

What I do think will happen is super or refreshed models hitting in 9 months or so. This will also help combat RDNA2 if needed.

Seems like a moot point when Zen 3 comes out in 3 weeks. If all the leaks are true (and they were for Zen 2) then I can't see Intel even holding the gaming crown anymore. I'll almost definitely be selling my 3600x and getting a 4600x or equivalent.

PCIe4 makes no difference on Ampere cards based on the tests released today since PCIe3 bandwidth still isn't being saturated, so 4.0 will remain mostly a gimmick for another generation at least.

Only exception is if RTX-IO were to start showing up in games and taxing the bus more.

Same nvenc hardware, so generational uplift next year?
Streamers and content creators aren’t pushing storage IO tiering schemes.

GN did go thru a bunch of ideation yesterday that could be isolated btw 2080ti and 3080.
I’d use https://github.com/ageron and eventually do swap outs of public datasets until I hit a wall.

Im interested to see how Ampere changes ML workflow 2015-now.
Tiered Jupiter notebook runs in real time should push IO to breaking pt using desktop gpus.

Back