Will there be a 3080Ti

• Yes

Votes: 93 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 14.7%

• Total voters

RamonGTP

Supreme [H]ardness
Who here thinks there's way too large of a spec and pricing gap between a 3080 and 3090 for it not to be filled at some point with a 3080Ti?

The 3080 seems like a solid choice but the 10GB of VRAM rubs me the wrong way, particularly with next gen consoles shipping with 16GB of unified memory

The 3090 seems like a solid choice but the pricing gap between it and the 3080 rubs me the wrong way, thinking there has to be that "perfect" card coming to fill that spec and pricing gap.

What say you?

Who here thinks there's way too large of a spec and pricing gap between a 3080 and 3090 for it not to be filled at some point with a 3080Ti?

Pricing gap yes, performance gap, no. There will only be about 20% difference which is not much gap to put another model in between.

The 3080 seems like a solid choice but the 10GB of VRAM rubs me the wrong way, particularly with next gen consoles shipping with 16GB of unified memory

Unified Memory means they are going to need to use a significant portion of that for system memory. XBSX having 10GB of full BW memory is a clue how much will be treated like VRAM.

The 3090 seems like a solid choice but the pricing gap between it and the 3080 rubs me the wrong way, thinking there has to be that "perfect" card coming to fill that spec and pricing gap.

More likely we will just see a 3080 with 20GB for those that want to pay for more memory. I expect you will pay at least $300 more for an extra 10GB that won't really affect gaming performance.

Pricing gap yes, performance gap, no. There will only be about 20% difference which is not much gap to put another model in between.

Unified Memory means they are going to need to use a significant portion of that for system memory. XBSX having 10GB of full BW memory is a clue how much will be treated like VRAM.

More likely we will just see a 3080 with 20GB for those that want to pay for more memory. I expect you will pay at least $300 more for an extra 10GB that won't really affect gaming performance.

Splitting that performance gap to 10% is done pretty easily. In the past, nVidia has not been afraid to nip at the heals of their Titan lines with a cheaper Ti model or even surpassing it's performance with the only Titan advantage being VRAM

Consoles are more efficient than PC's so 10GB of full speed unified memory will do more on them than it will on a PC. Not to mention there's the PS5 which is significantly more powerful than the xbox and afik, does not have that same split

+$300 sounds about right for what I believe will be a 3080Ti. I don't think they will simply add more memory without some tweaks to the GPU. They haven't done that on their higher end models since the 680

We'll see what happens, I'm hoping AMD's high end has >10GB of VRAM and performs around 3080 levels, that will expedite nVidia's response.

+$300 sounds about right for what I believe will be a 3080Ti. I don't think they will simply add more memory without some tweaks to the GPU.
They could split the difference; add half of the CUDA cores back, double the VRAM, and then clock it higher stock. Would be tempting if it also overclocks higher, I think.

Splitting that performance gap to 10% is done pretty easily. In the past, nVidia has not been afraid to nip at the heals of their Titan lines with a cheaper Ti model or even surpassing it's performance with the only Titan advantage being VRAM

Consoles are more efficient than PC's so 10GB of full speed unified memory will do more on them than it will on a PC. Not to mention there's the PS5 which is significantly more powerful than the xbox and afik, does not have that same split

+$300 sounds about right for what I believe will be a 3080Ti. I don't think they will simply add more memory without some tweaks to the GPU. They haven't done that on their higher end models since the 680

We'll see what happens, I'm hoping AMD's high end has >10GB of VRAM and performs around 3080 levels, that will expedite nVidia's response.
PS5 has the weaker GPU/CPU. But has a better tech that for make it punch above it's weivht

I didn't say it couldn't be done. Just that it isn't that large a gap. The Titan to x80 gap is typically much larger than that, and hence the need for x80 Ti is much greater. Typically Titan is a different chip and x80 Ti is getting that chip into consumer hands. That big chip is already in the x80.

Short version. x80 is already fulfilling the role that x80 Ti usually did.

I think that's wishful thinking. All the signs are that simple RAM double models are coming, and GDDR6X is NOT cheap, it will most likely be at least a $300 upgrade, just for the memory.

Now I wonder which most people would choose:

3080 20GB (same CUDA/performance) $999
or
3080 S 11GB (10% more CUDA and perf) $999.

I would choose the latter (No wishful thinking for both at the same price).

I would choose 3080S 11GB. I think a lot of people are missing the point of why 3090 has 24GB. It really is not for Cyberpunk and CoDs.

I would really like something like a pure gaming version of 3090. Don't need all that memory and scientific comptuting stuff. Just the most frames possible. 980Ti or 1080Ti style. And rasterization performance is most important to me.

I didn't say it couldn't be done. Just that it isn't that large a gap. The Titan to x80 gap is typically much larger than that, and hence the need for x80 Ti is much greater. Typically Titan is a different chip and x80 Ti is getting that chip into consumer hands. That big chip is already in the x80.

I didn't say you said that

I think that's wishful thinking.

Uhh, ok... I was actually agreeing with you on that point lol

Do you just like to argue? How about that process node? ;)

I'm guessing this comes out a year or so after the release of these forthcoming 3xxx's. Hasn't that been the typical routine for a while? Ideally a 3080Ti is what I would like to have.

5 percent slower than the 3090, less memory and around 60-70 percent of the cost basically. There's room for a 3070 Super or 3070 Ti as well.

Uhh, ok... I was actually agreeing with you on that point lol

Don't see how. You indicated you didn't think they wouldn't just do memory but also tweak the GPU for $300. I said you won't get both for $300.

Do you just like to argue? How about that process node? ;)

How about it?

i will stay with my 2080 ti waterforce until 3090 waterforce will e released , i think ;)

I think yes, but at a price point I probably wouldn't be interested in.

Inevitably, to capture those who don’t want only 10GB VRAM but don’t want to pay or can’t accommodate 3090. Of course they will refresh these cards.

VRAM is like a wall. Once you hit it, you are DONE. I refuse to buy into a new card with less VRAM than my 1080ti. Been there, done that. They are double dipping. The next wave of cards will hit the sweet spot and they will capture the holdouts with 1080ti and 2080ti cards.

The 3090 would probably be good for years, but the thing is beastly huge and hot and power hungry and who knows what that does to your mobo, CPU and PSU over years.

I also suspect the next wave will be targeted at more interesting titles that are more “next gen” since the new consoles will be out for a while.

Last edited:
3080ti sometime next year, 20gb ram, 90-95% of the performance of the 3090, ~$300 less than the 3090.

This is what I am thinking as well. So is saving $300 worth waiting 6 months compared to just getting the damn 3090 now and knowing that you will have fastest GPU over next two years. I think I am just getting 3090 and calling it a day. Been researching what to do with extra ram. Maybe this gets me back into playing with 3d rendering again.

This is what I am thinking as well. So is saving $300 worth waiting 6 months compared to just getting the damn 3090 now and knowing that you will have fastest GPU over next two years. I think I am just getting 3090 and calling it a day. Been researching what to do with extra ram. Maybe this gets me back into playing with 3d rendering again.

Thats a budget thing, if you can afford it go for it, if not no harm in waiting.

I think in that scenario the answer is clearly no, you would have been better of getting 3090 at the starting gate. I wouldn’t let $300 swing me.

What might swing me is if they made it smaller and a bit more efficient, while still nipping at the 3090’s heels. Not sure it works that way though.

Found this Spread sheet over at techPowerup..... Don't know if 100% real or what not but it's also being talked about on Guru3d.... 3080Ti and 3070Ti seem like a good idea for Nvidia to cash in on more variants of the 3xxx line up.....

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spe...tion=GeForce 30&architecture=Ampere&sort=name

Ti.jpg

Attachments

• Ti.jpg
    Ti.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 0
Is it really cheaper to double the RAM of a 3070 for exemple rather than going 320bit bus and 10GB like the 3080? 3080 on the 3090 bus with 12GB, etc?

I get that better lanes cost something, but at least they don't rely on RAM availability and prices?

Found this Spread sheet over at techPowerup..... Don't know if 100% real or what not but it's also being talked about on Guru3d.... 3080Ti and 3070Ti seem like a good idea for Nvidia to cash in on more variants of the 3xxx line up.....

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spe...tion=GeForce 30&architecture=Ampere&sort=name

View attachment 276545

I could see a 3080 Ti with specs like that costing $999. It will basically force the 3090 to be a Titan type card for prosumers. Of course I’d actually rather have a full 3090 with 12 gb vram at $1000 but because of the supposed poor/unknown yields at Samsung, I think that won’t happen.

All I know is the 3090 is just not a good buy and with the obvious gap in NVIDIAs lineup and Navi 2x looming, NVIDIA might even release it in 2020 or maybe do a paper launch with availability in early 2021. I’m hanging on tight to my 2080 Ti with the assumption that 2021 will be the best time to get a new gpu from either company.

With the big gap in price between 3080 and 3090 it's almost a given there's going to be something to plug that gap.

I wish there was a preorder so I could increase the chances on the 24h of the 3090 plugging my pcie16x's gap :(

I think 3080 Ti (or some other naming like Super or what not) will be released. If the competition (price and performance from Navi 2x) put pressure on 3080, maybe (big MAYBE) Nvidia might be pushed to repeat the 1080 repricing of the FE cards. I doubt it will come to that. During that repricing announcement, there wasn't any serious threat from Vega but perhaps more of a marketing strategy, iirc.

I'll repost this here from 3xxx speculation thread.

I'm going to speculate a bit more.
3090 is about 20-25% faster than 3080. Both overclocked. Maybe even less becaue 3080 has lower TDP and the same PCB (and the same cooler design, just smaller), so probably more OC headroom.
3080S/Ti coming in the late first or early second quarter of 2021, with 20gb of ram.
About 20% faster than 3080. At $999.
Pretty sure we'll see Pascal history repeat itself. At slightly higher prices. 1080Ti was in most cases even faster than Titan.

Nvidia:
Step 1 - Have 2080ti owners dump their $1200 cards on eBay for $400
Step 2 - Have them buy a 3090 for $1500 just months before the 3080ti at half the price
Step 3 - Profit.

Ugh.. I'd really prefer the 3080 Ti soon due to the increased memory, higher performance, and lower cost with respect to the 3090. I imagine Nvidia knows that folks like me are going to have to bite the bullet and get the 3090, paying that early adopters fee. I'm coming from a 1070 Ti and would really prefer the 3080 Ti for Cyberpunk in particular.

I can appreciate that performance and price are not linear but the 3090 pushes this to the extreme as it will only provide a performance increase of ~20% over a 3080 for more than twice the price.
Also, the 20% gain may not be much noticeable as many current games are probably already maxed out by the 3080 (<=120hz at 4K).
Frankly, the 3090 makes much more sense for the few 8K gamers out there.

I bought Titans before (not the Turing one)... for sure they were expensive but the increase in performance vs the X080 was great (40%/50%).

I dont think there will be a 3080 Ti. the performance between the 3080 and 3090 is too close for a Ti version to make sense, using past examples.

There will probably be a 3080 Super released 6 or 7 months later. And there will be 20GB AIB 3080s as well. But I dont think nvidia is releasing their own 3080 with 20GB. I think the 3080 Super will likely close the gap between the 3080 and 3090, probably adding more cores and keeping the same 10GB of GDDR6X

The 3090 is what the 3080 ti would've been imo. They just changed the moniker for that tier now on the flag ship. There will definitely be a 3070 ti though, the gap between the 3070 and 3080 is large enough to warrant that

Last edited:
There wont be a 3080 Ti. the performance between the 3080 and 3090 is too close for a Ti version to make sense, using past examples.

There will probably be a 3080 Super released 6 or 7 months later. And there will be 20GB AIB 3080s as well. But I dont think nvidia is releasing their own 3080 with 20GB. I think the 3080 Super will likely close the gap between the 3080 and 3090, probably adding more cores and keeping the same 10GB of GDDR6X

The 3090 is what the 3080 ti would've been imo. They just changed the moniker for that tier now on the flag ship. There will definitely be a 3070 ti though, the gap between the 3070 and 3080 is large enough to warrant that

I don’t think nvidia will bring back the Super line of cards again. If they release a faster card than 3080 it’ll probably have a new designation.

I don’t think nvidia will bring back the Super line of cards again. If they release a faster card than 3080 it’ll probably have a new designation.
fair enough
I think that the naming of these cards is throwing people off

The 3070 probably should've been called the 3080, and the 3080 should've been called the 3090 and 3090 should've been called something like RTX TITAN 2

so
GA104 3080 (5888 Cores/184 TMUs/64 ROPs/256bit-8GB)

GA102 3090 (8704 Cores/272 TMUs/96 ROPs/320bit-10GB)

GA102 RTX TITAN 2 (10496 Cores/328 TMUs/112 ROPs/384bit-24GB)

This would allow something like a 3080 ti to make more sense based on how Ti performance has been in the past. Using my naming scheme, it would maintain the same kind of performance jump from the previous gen that we had with Turing.

2080 was basically 1080 ti performance
3080 would basically be the same as 2080 ti performance based on what nvidia said about GA104

Sorry for the long post

fair enough
I think that the naming of these cards is throwing people off

The 3070 probably should've been called the 3080, and the 3080 should've been called the 3090 and 3090 should've been called something like RTX TITAN 2

so
GA104 3080 (5888 Cores/184 TMUs/64 ROPs/256bit-8GB)

GA102 3090 (8704 Cores/272 TMUs/96 ROPs/320bit-10GB)

GA102 RTX TITAN 2 (10496 Cores/328 TMUs/112 ROPs/384bit-24GB)

This would allow something like a 3080 ti to make more sense based on how Ti performance has been in the past. Using my naming scheme, it would maintain the same kind of performance jump from the previous gen that we had with Turing.

2080 was basically 1080 ti performance
3080 would basically be the same as 2080 ti performance based on what nvidia said about GA104

Sorry for the long post

I don’t think the naming matters as much as the price does. As long as 3080 beats 2080 Ti by 30%+ and only costs $700 then it’s a win regardless of what they named it. The 3090 is likely just a card for bragging rights until it’s replaced by something a lot cheaper by nvidia themselves after Big Navi makes a splash. The skies the limit with nvidia, look how many transistors they crammed in GA100. In reality no company can truly compete with them in the GPU world.

Last edited:
Back