30" Club

Srsly, you need to do some brushing up on your knowledge.

I have a Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD running at 2560x1600 and it's hooked into my SINGLE 8800GTS... not only that, it's using ONE of the TWO dual link DVI ports available on the card. I have played Oblivion at 2560x1600 at near full details and the card isn't even breaking a sweat.

In other words, you DO NOT need SLI to run a 30" LCD in 2560x1600 resolution...period.

I didn't mean to imply taht you need SLI to run a 30" LCD.. I misread what vegabond said, I thought he wanted to run a 3007 PLUS a 2407.. instead of 2407 vs 3007. Also I did not know that you could split a DVI port via a cable, now I know :)

As per the person saying I talked shit, I wasn't talkign shit simply trying to help.. I misread the post :( Running on a 2007, maybe I should get a 3007 ;)

I never said you had to have SLI to run a 30" LCD.. I meant to say you needed TWO cards to run a 30" display PLUS another monitor.. As i did not know you could run the 30" with a splitter off of oen DVI port. A simple mistake. Appologies

.. As i did not know you could run the 30" with a splitter off of oen DVI port. A simple mistake. Appologies

You don't run a "splitter", you run a 2560x1600 display off of a SINGLE dvi port, using the specific DUAL LINK cable...and the other dvi output can do the same thing, or run less than 2560x1600 even using a dual link OR a single link cable.

Srsly, you need to do some brushing up on your knowledge.

I have a Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD running at 2560x1600 and it's hooked into my SINGLE 8800GTS... not only that, it's using ONE of the TWO dual link DVI ports available on the card. I have played Oblivion at 2560x1600 at near full details and the card isn't even breaking a sweat.

In other words, you DO NOT need SLI to run a 30" LCD in 2560x1600 resolution...period.

I know... but I like eye candy ^_^ Eye candy = serious GPU power load = SLi :D

I had eye candy turned on...all sorts.. at near max levels and I was still getting great frame rates. But I do admit, Oblivion while graphically intensive, might not be the game you're using as a baseline for "eye candy" and could still benefit a lot from SLI. Ya, as soon as I get enough cash for a second 8800GTS, I'm going SLI myself.

And at native res of 2560xwhatever the 30" is, that GTS is getting owned by the GTX. If I had a 30" I would NOT be getting a GTS, at least not a single one,
The GTX is overpriced, it's extra long, and requires more power. It really doesn't buy much extra performance (maybe 30% more), and I can get halfway there by OCing the GTS.

I don't mind running games at 1920x1200, and if I really need to 1280x800 is another native option.

Just a question, but which XP NVidia drivers had working scaler options? Or was there ever one?
96.89 scales perfectly for me, using the "Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio" option. Google search just that number and you'll find where to download it. Of course, it doesn't contain the latest bug fixes but it doesn't seem to give any less performance in my games.

Apple Cinema 30"

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

DSC03601.jpg

^^^ playing far cry.... cinema being pushed buy a BFG 8800GTX

A tower with 4 side case fans on the table--that must be loud! No room on the floor? Also, I'd spread out the speakers to the back corners of the table to improve the sound field :).

A tower with 4 side case fans on the table--that must be loud! No room on the floor? Also, I'd spread out the speakers to the back corners of the table to improve the sound field :).

I have 8 enermax uc-12eb in my cm 830 and it's very quiet... it's not on my desk but still very quiet.

As for HDCP, the Dell at least supports it, but the key fact is that there aren't any video cards yet that support it. ATI's new R600 is rumored to possibly support it.

Surprised no one called this bit out... ati 1950 and newer and nvidia 7950 and newer support hcdp.

the 120mm fans are low rpm... a bit noisy but bearable... actually no room on the floor :( also i got new speakers logitech z-2300... and they are more spread apart now.. sounds awesome...

Thru dual link dvi? I don't think so.

Wait.. I thought the limitation was in resolution, you have to kick down to a single link res like 1920x1200 or lower but it would still work. Does it not work at all on these? I ended up not buying a Dell 30" because of the lack of inputs and flexibility, but that's just plain shitty for the end user.

Wait.. I thought the limitation was in resolution, you have to kick down to a single link res like 1920x1200 or lower but it would still work. Does it not work at all on these? I ended up not buying a Dell 30" because of the lack of inputs and flexibility, but that's just plain shitty for the end user.

U can't use 1920x1200 single link on a 30". 1280x800 works, but since movies are in 1920x1080 the resolution is pretty poor.

HDCP shouldn't be a concern for a long time, since movies won't have ICT enabled for at least 3 more years, and it might not ever get enabled. Even if it does and you have to run at 1280x800, that's still 3 times the res of DVD, and DVDs look fine on my 30" when I sit back on the couch.

HDCP shouldn't be a concern for a long time, since movies won't have ICT enabled for at least 3 more years, and it might not ever get enabled. Even if it does and you have to run at 1280x800, that's still 3 times the res of DVD, and DVDs look fine on my 30" when I sit back on the couch.

ICT has nothing to do with HDCP......

ICT has nothing to do with HDCP......
Care to explain? Wikipedia talks about ICT on their HDCP page, so maybe you should edit that page with the correct information, since apparently the two have nothing to do with each other.

Care to explain? Wikipedia talks about ICT on their HDCP page, so maybe you should edit that page with the correct information, since apparently the two have nothing to do with each other.

ICT = image constraint token and downscales the source when no HDCP compliant sources are in use (component, vga, whatever). From wikipedia:

When using an AACS-enabled player, all components in the display chain (including the display panel) must be considered "secure". This security is enforced through the High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) system, available on many devices which support DVI and HDMI video connections. If any components in the display chain do not support HDCP (such as a display connected to the player through analog connections like component, composite or S-Video) and the ICT flag is enabled, the player automatically reduces the high-definition video to the resolution of 960x540 pixels before outputting it. Hence, while still higher resolution than that of a standard DVD, the resulting video signal is no longer truly high-definition.

I don't need to edit it, because it's already correct. :)

About to order the 30" HP, I think.

Question:

Is an ATI X1650 Pro adequate to drive this monitor?
I am not looking for FPS performance, just normal applications and graphic/photo use.

Andrew

ICT = image constraint token and downscales the source when no HDCP compliant sources are in use (component, vga, whatever). From wikipedia:

I don't need to edit it, because it's already correct. :)

Which means you can use non-HDCP compliant monitors to watch HD right now, as ICT isn't active yet.

I have been thinking about doing a major build sometime this fall and I was thinking about getting a 24" LCD monitor but I came across this thread and am seriously thinking about getting a 30". How does gaming at such high resolutions come to par on older games? A few examples can be Diablo II, Sim City4..

ICT = image constraint token and downscales the source when no HDCP compliant sources are in use
So ICT has everything to do with HDCP. You said they have nothing to do with each other. In an HDCP broadcast, if the compliance fails, the ICT bit applies.

Is an ATI X1650 Pro adequate to drive this monitor?
I am not looking for FPS performance, just normal applications and graphic/photo use.
Any card that supports "dual-link DVI" will work fine for 2D performance. This Geforce 7300 supports is and costs half as much as the X1650 Pro, so why pay extra.

I won't just be doing purely 2D with it, I am just not an "everyday hardcore gamer" or anything.
I probably shouldn't have said "normal applications and graphic/photo use" since I do some gaming, just not a lot.

Just want a card that can adequately drive a 30" monitor, and yes, I was aware of the dual-link DVI requirement. I already have an HIS X1650 Pro, and was considering whether to get something more powerful.

Andrew

Any card that supports "dual-link DVI" will work fine for 2D performance. This Geforce 7300 supports is and costs half as much as the X1650 Pro, so why pay extra.

Here's my current setup

3 HP LP3065's

p223777222-4.jpg

Previous house when I picked up the third 30"

p347141051-4.jpg

Previous house when I only had dual 30's.

2 HP LP3065's

p282167834-4.jpg

Very nice... sucks most of this thread is not about 30" computer monitors. I could come in here and post my 65" and be all "baller".

My Samsung 305T is arriving tomorrow... I went SLI and decided to ditch the dual 20" Samsungs I have now.

im about to upgrade from dual 20.1's (on an ergotron lx arm) to a 30" and im psyched! it'll come in in a week or so :D

Very nice... sucks most of this thread is not about 30" computer monitors. I could come in here and post my 65" and be all "baller".

My Samsung 305T is arriving tomorrow... I went SLI and decided to ditch the dual 20" Samsungs I have now.

cool you might get the 305T plus version :)

Just got my LG W3000H! :)

This was not a story without its problems, however. Portugal is a small country and 30" TFT monitors are expensive, therefore it's not easy finding them in stock anywhere.

The first 30" LG monitor I ordered worked perfectly in Windows at 1280x800, but was totally unable to switch to 2560x1600; the screen either remaining black or flashing a corrupted green image. This was a small nightmare for me, as I refused to believe the monitor could be faulty and kept troubleshooting everything else, even suspecting my faithful GeForce 8800 GT wasn't up to the task. This monitor was even unable to synchronize the image when booting the PC up, it only stabilized at 1280x800 when it got to Windows.

After hours of trying everything I could think of, I finally admitted defeat and took the monitor back to the shop I had purchased it from. There we tried it on another PC with a GeForce 9600, same issue. I even bought another DVI-D cable, suspecting a faulty factory cable. No dice either, it had to be the monitor.

Ended up returning it that same day, then had to wait a week for the money to be deposited back into my account - that was the single 30" monitor that shop had, and, worse, I couldn't find another W3000H LG in stock anywhere else.

To cut a long story short, I ended up being rescued by a very nice lady from LG Portugal itself. Although they do not sell directly to the public and even them had none in stock, she managed to locate the only remaining W3000H monitor still available for sale in Portugal and made arrangements so I could purchase it from a local store.

This time everything worked like it should! :) The monitor is flawless, I even love the way it plays a pleasant sound when you adjust brightness or turn it on or off. Cool little touch.

No mechanical buttons either, all adjustments, including the power button, are touch sensitive. The monitor has 4 USB downstream ports, two on the side of the display (easier to access) and the remaining two next to the DVI-D connector.

The unit I got has no dead pixels or backlight bleeding. The image is perfect, no lag that I can see, sharp pixels, vivid colors, and blacks being truly black.

Replacing my old 21" Philips CRT monitor which I was pushing to its blurry limit of 1920x1440, the LG is a dream come true! :)

Now for the images, the LG sitting next to my old 21" (which looks like a 14" next to it, hehe), which is now my secondary monitor:

lg-3.jpg

lg-2.jpg

lg-1.jpg

Back