2x2080ti/9900k build complete!

Similar to F@H, but different projects. I'll walk you through them when you're up and running.

Similar to F@H, but different projects. I'll walk you through them when you're up and running.

Sweet, I will inform you immediately. In the mean time I need to order ethernet cable, a couple of monitors and get that 4k bluray drive. Need a proper surge protector too, unless you think I need some sort of UPS for this kind of hardware.

Ok, so the page for the processor disappeared from Amazon according to the relevant thread. Should I wait or look elsewhere for it?

9700k bought as temporary test processor. Will sell to any hard forum member when 9900k arrives for reasonable shortage price or MSRP. (paid 530 for it at current) bought it from a store though. Fuck it, I need to know if my gear will POST and I'm not waiting another minute.

9700k bought as temporary test processor. Will sell to any hard forum member when 9900k arrives for reasonable shortage price or MSRP. (paid 530 for it at current) bought it from a store though. Fuck it, I need to know if my gear will POST and I'm not waiting another minute.

You might just keep the 9700K... it's not like it's slow ;)

[but I feel you!]

So.....how many of you have completely ripped the plastic ATA plug off of one of your brand new hard drives? I have..... apparently it's possible.

20181025_234809.jpg

you get mad and rip the sata power cable from that brand new 4TB Black?

you get mad and rip the sata power cable from that brand new 4TB Black?
I was trying to fit the second sata ribbon plug into hard drive number 2. FOr some reason I was unaware I was applying pressure to drive number 1. even without a clipped plug I tore the plastic guide right off. I didn't know that was possible. when windows gets installed I'll find out if it was my drive I preloaded my steam games on.

I wonder if they'll replace it, betting that's a no.

I was trying to fit the second sata ribbon plug into hard drive number 2. FOr some reason I was unaware I was applying pressure to drive number 1. even without a clipped plug I tore the plastic guide right off. I didn't know that was possible. when windows gets installed I'll find out if it was my drive I preloaded my steam games on.

I wonder if they'll replace it, betting that's a no.

they may be able to replace the PCB for a fee though.

I did break the locking tab on one of my 4TB Blacks when it was in my old Air540, noticed it when I was putting them on the floor of the 740 and the cable wasn't locking into the drive.
IMG_1682.JPG

you could always try and solder on a pigtail to the power connector.
or give it me, lol.

I will see if it works in my hard drive dock rofl.

If they dont replace it, I might just give it to you lol

IT WORKS IN THE DOCK! HAHAHAHA! okok gonna backup my steam library and see if I cant get it fixed tomorrow. if not I'll just buy a new one and keep using the dock until it dies or something lol.

just have a fan blowing over it if you are doing constant transfers from it, since it will get quite hot.

I grabbed this room fan and just pointed it the drive in the dock,
View attachment 114972
I don't know what the hell I'm going to use it for now. It might last in the dock until the dock or drive dies of natural causes. Maybe a redundant backup? any way to make use of it outside of myself if there's no reason for it? I mean it IS broken technically, so I'm not going to rely on it.

I don't know what the hell I'm going to use it for now. It might last in the dock until the dock or drive dies of natural causes. Maybe a redundant backup? any way to make use of it outside of myself if there's no reason for it? I mean it IS broken technically, so I'm not going to rely on it.

if it were mine, I would probably solder on a pigtail and mount it in a pc.

if it were mine, I would probably solder on a pigtail and mount it in a pc.
the plastic piece came out in pieces and I dont have a soldering iron. this will be quite the learning experience. Where do I get a replacement plastic piece, and an iron?

timespy extreme results 2x 2080ti 9700k: 8747

GPU score: 12488
CPU score: 3243
no overclock
aggregate score: 8747

the plastic piece came out in pieces and I dont have a soldering iron. this will be quite the learning experience. Where do I get a replacement plastic piece, and an iron?
not sure about the plastic part since that is one large molded part.
Soldering iron can be bought at various places, Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight. I use a 30 year Weller soldering iron. I would solder the pigtail on and then hot glue that area so the contacts and wires don't move about.

Current build

Corsair 700d AIrflow
EVGA 1300w gold supernova PSU
i7 9700k 3.6 ghz stock (9900k still on preorder, keep and cancel or let ship and sell 9700k?)
coolermaster masterliquid lite 240mm cooler/AS5
2 RTX 2080ti founders edition reference cards in SLI
Gskill RIpjaws 4x8GB DDR4 RAM @ 3000
m.2 250 GB samsung evo SSD
1TB samsung evo SSD
1 4TB WD black
1 "broken" 4TB WD black
several old drives
8tb external backup drive
28 inch samsung 4k entry level display (temporary primary display)
windows 10 pro

Yet to order or on order
i9 9900k on order
HDR 4k display might get the $2k ones now or wait and see what linus tech tips says is on the horizon
4k bluray drive

Last edited:
grabbed a replacement at office depot. Now I "temporarily" have and extra 4TB unless all goes well.

I am ready to start the benchmarks. Amazon has sent me a delay email on my 9900k. I will be giving the 9700k to a friend. in the mean time all is good to go.

panel reflects too much light but this is what I've set up so far. When the 9900k gets here, I will work on cable management.

Attachments

• 20181026_204450.jpg
    20181026_204450.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 0
upload_2018-10-27_1-24-31.png

FPS cap for these cards is 287 in overwatch on ultra, temp holds at 86-87c. Is this good for these cards? I will probably limit fps to 120 for my current setup but I wanted to see how things went.

3071MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (NVIDIA) 43 °C
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (NVIDIA) 36 °C

Speccy on idle, I have my Rad in a intake configuration so the exhaust can go out the back and cool air is drawn into the rad. Is this the best setup? I'm assuming it's either the top card from the hot rad air, or the bottom card from the fans of the top card. Thoughts?

Honestly I'd keep the 9700K and sell the 9900K as the benchmarks show the 9900K is barely faster in anything ranging from productivity to gaming.

Sniper Elite 4 results DX12 All settings maxed. average FPS is between 150 and 220

Well I got what I asked for with this build. All that's left is to decide what monitor I want to go with.

Skillz, do you still want me to benchmark for you?

I have no issues so far but I am concerned about the news. I haven't had an opportunity to extensively test the cards beyond what I've posted so far.

upload_2018-11-8_19-11-36.png

XMP was disabled, I forgot about it, figured the motherboard would have it on by default, I expect roughly a 10% increase in frame rate now lets see.

Back