2x radeon 290 CF vs a single 780TI

VonGriffin

Limp Gawd
hmm what to pick

similar price range: two 290 or one 780ti, obviously crossfire is much more power hungry louder and hot but faster and it will hold ground against Maxwell

Trollolololooooooolololo....... This shit is getting old. You say in another post that the 780TI is too expensive.

Vote for ban.

say what now ?

it is expensive hence a comparison to two 290 is logical, shoo i don't want nothing to do with ya green red whatever fan boys, like a damn menace here. Im trying to make a decision what to buy

Why not 7990? I've seen it on sale for 499 lately.

yeah why not, its surprising how well does it stand its ground against 290 CF, some blame the drivers

Seems like a weird decision, the 780 Ti is in an entirely different price bracket. If you are looking for bang for buck the better comparison is 780 SLI.

Trollolololooooooolololo....... This shit is getting old. You say in another post that the 780TI is too expensive.

Vote for ban.

Why are you being so mean? Either way thats common on this site. So many complained about Titan being expensive, yet 2 weeks later they have the card in their sig.

Why are you being so mean? Either way thats common on this site. So many complained about Titan being expensive, yet 2 weeks later they have the card in their sig.
Yeah I know but I got rid of it almost as fast

Why are you being so mean? Either way thats common on this site. So many complained about 780ti being expensive, yet 2 weeks later they have the card in their sig.

He made this post, then immediately posted about Titan being too expensive. Thats not changing your mind.

Last edited:
Seems like a weird decision, the 780 Ti is in an entirely different price bracket. If you are looking for bang for buck the better comparison is 780 SLI.

Until this post, I didn't realize that, for less than the cost of a single new Titan, you can sli a pair of new 780.

well lets compare:
780TI would cost me about 650 euros
Two Radeons 290 about 660 euros; and thy are as fast or faster as an regular 780
(with the downside thy use more power)

hence the dilemma; if 780TI had a price of former 780 (before the price cut) i would have none,
i usually buy a card every 4 years (5870 last time) hence i want to get something that will last me some time and i don't care about who makes it just whats the best P&P

So my options are : 7990, 2xR290(newer tech) or 780ti:(

Last edited:
Go back to the reviews: AMD in less than a yera went from being oblterate in multi-GPU setups to completely dominetae the field on that subject. Anandtech's review focus on 4k gaming and 780ti SLI vs 290X CF. CF scaling is better than SLI scaling, even in games where a single 780ti can outdone a single 290X.

290CF FTW, but wait for better coolers.

eh frack it, i am dragging this dilemma to long; gonna buy two 290 , to hell with it

gonna blow up my PSU anyway:eek:

eh frack it, i am dragging this dilemma to long; gonna buy two 290 , to hell with it

gonna blow up my PSU anyway:eek:

900watt psu is the minimum I would go with for 290 crossfire. [H] had 780Watt total system power consumption with 2 290X's in crossfire. Considering you want your power supply to have about 20% wiggle room minimum (Best for 30-40% imo) you need a power supply with about 936Watts for 290X Crossfire.

i think a good 850W PSU for 290 non x will do

or the smoke will prove me wrong

I'm sure if you don't overclock it will be fine. But any overclocking is going to be limited by the power supply first I'd bet.

900watt psu is the minimum I would go with for 290 crossfire. [H] had 780Watt total system power consumption with 2 290X's in crossfire. Considering you want your power supply to have about 20% wiggle room minimum (Best for 30-40% imo) you need a power supply with about 936Watts for 290X Crossfire.

780w from the wall not the psu don't forget. Take 10% off you are looking in better shape. I'm not sure I would give it a crack on my 850w though still.

just bought an MSI 290(non X) this morning.

Going for a staged upgrade -- currently running crossfire 7970s (on a corsair 850AX gold) PSU.

Yes -- in terms of raw power it's a downgrade till I throw another 290 in the mix, what I really wanted them for is the dual DVD-DL ports on a single card. This way I can crossfire with ease and still have use of my 1440p monitors @ 100Hz. (having tons of issues at the moment with the high resolution/refresh rate) i'm running. Computer just flips the fuck out if anything is done over HDMI.

I'd love to be able to run crossfire 290's on my Corsair 850 -- it's a gold standard professional PSU... will do some testing with my Kill-A-Watt once the new GPU arrives to see how much wiggle room I'll have.

just bought an MSI 290(non X) this morning.

Going for a staged upgrade -- currently running crossfire 7970s (on a corsair 850AX gold) PSU.

Yes -- in terms of raw power it's a downgrade till I throw another 290 in the mix, what I really wanted them for is the dual DVD-DL ports on a single card. This way I can crossfire with ease and still have use of my 1440p monitors @ 100Hz. (having tons of issues at the moment with the high resolution/refresh rate) i'm running. Computer just flips the fuck out if anything is done over HDMI.

I'd love to be able to run crossfire 290's on my Corsair 850 -- it's a gold standard professional PSU... will do some testing with my Kill-A-Watt once the new GPU arrives to see how much wiggle room I'll have.

I have a Corsiar TX750W, would that be adequate for 290 in Crossfire ? Not sure what they raiting is (Gold/Silver.. do they make Platinum? )

Back