2TB - $115

Gomar

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
315
I bought a Hitachi 500gb portable HDD for $59.99 from J&R 1 year ago. Now they have
a 2TB for $115; that's 4x capacity for 2x price. Good value.

http://www./hitachi/pe/HIT_0S03394/

I never liked Hitachi VCRs or TVs or vidcams, but on a cheap HDD I took a chance, and it
was worth it.
 
why is [T]ard forums blocking jr dotcom ?


www DOT jr DOT com/hitachi/pe/HIT_0S03394/
 
Great price for a 2TB USB3 drive. If I weren't so drive-heavy right now and about to spring for a new IB CPU/RAM/mobo I'd probably bite.

Hitachi has their haters, but I'm a long-time fan. The last 15 or so drives I've bought over the last 2-3 years have been Hitachi's and I've been super happy. I have 8x 1TB Deskstars in a RAID6 NAS array that has run 24x7 for over a year so far without a hitch, and at least a half dozen 500GB Deskstars scattered between various systems. Best bang-for-the-buck desktop drive, IMO, although Samsung probably gives them a run for their money nowadays.

Long-time Seagate hater too, so they'd pretty much have to give them away for me to take one. And then I still wouldn't trust important data to it without frequent backups to non-Seagate hardware.
 
I bought a Hitachi 500gb portable HDD for $59.99 from J&R 1 year ago. Now they have
a 2TB for $115; that's 4x capacity for 2x price. Good value.

http://www./hitachi/pe/HIT_0S03394/

I never liked Hitachi VCRs or TVs or vidcams, but on a cheap HDD I took a chance, and it
was worth it.

That's not a portable drive it's a full desktop external that requires a power brick. A more apt comparison would be http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00455MCRA

And a better value than the hitachi would be http://www.staples.com/Seagate-Expansion-2TB-External-Hard-Drive-USB-30/product-nr_373058
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
why is [T]ard forums blocking jr dotcom ?


www DOT jr DOT com/hitachi/pe/HIT_0S03394/

Dunno, they blocked hardware canucks for no publicly-known reason as well... :eek:. For awhile NCIX was blocked simply for a rep asking if he had to message anyone before posting further, and informing someone in a relevant thread looking for stock of something that it was in-stock there. A long time later, they bought some ads and of course are unblocked.
 
Thank you, somebody here knows a hot deal. but it's only hot if you use a $25 off coupon.

The seagate 3TB at staples can be pricematched to amazon and $25 off for $107+tax free shipping. I thought that was the best deal currently.

Oooh, nice, I was unaware of this development. :D Looks like Staples has the same price as Amazon now, so one would just need to use a 25 off coupon.
 
Dunno, they blocked hardware canucks for no publicly-known reason as well... :eek:. For awhile NCIX was blocked simply for a rep asking if he had to message anyone before posting further, and informing someone in a relevant thread looking for stock of something that it was in-stock there. A long time later, they bought some ads and of course are unblocked.

And revealing that....... they might block you too...... :(
 
And revealing that....... they might block you too...... :(

I'd hope not, considering it's just an account of what happened (at least as far as I recall). HWC reviewer even said outright he had no idea why they're blocked here, on XS. It's their forum so they can block who they like, obviously, but banning for mentioning events regarding that wouldn't make much sense. *shrug*
 
the 3tb seagate expansion should be a 7200rpm drive too, most likely triple platter.
guess it's time to replace my 1.5tb seagate 7200rpm. out of warranty and accruing tons of bad sectors. ugh. first desktop hard drive "failure" in almost 10 years.
 
wow nice price! glad to see the prices falling again for HDs!

They aren't really, Seagate has just been less impacted than all the other manufacturers. This drive has often fallen to this price. And I wouldn't be surprised if its a closeout. Tons of complaints about this drive on Amazon by the way -- mostly the USB/SATA controller dying rather than the drive itself dying. So you could always take it out of the case and use as an internal but remember to keep the external case around because they won't honor warranty if you just send in the bare drive since they'll know it was an external based on serial#.

1-yr warranty too. Jaysus what happened to the good old days with Seagate 5 yr warranty...
 
Great price for a 2TB USB3 drive. If I weren't so drive-heavy right now and about to spring for a new IB CPU/RAM/mobo I'd probably bite.

Hitachi has their haters

And they would be morons, without any experience with any significant quantity of them, or think they're clever invoking the "Deathstar" moniker which died over 10 years ago when Hitachi bought out IBM and took over manufacturing. I've owned and dealt with hundreds of these the last 6 years between home and work. I have yet to RMA a single one. I just sold about 40 x 1TB's that I bought 5 years ago, long out of warranty, surface-scanned and checked SMART stats prior to sale and not even one bad sector developed in 5 yrs. Luck maybe, but I doubt it since the experience is consistent with my 2TB, 3TB and 4TB Hitachi's. While the rest of the world has paddled pork with WD and Seagate and all their associated problems, people in the know understand Hitachi's are gold and one of the best kept secrets, especially for hardware RAID compatibility. Yes, WDC bought out Hitachi last year but the fabs are still pumping out Hitachi drives so get em before WDC slows everything down and f_cks everything up.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top