290x/290 Performance

That score was with watercooled card fyi.

And those are really not game stable clocks. I have also disabled tessellation which increases score quite much. With tessellation and core @ 1320, I get about 19.8k.

I still haven't even tested game stable clocks because I don't have a single game installed atm. I guess its somewhere around 1200-1250.

If i get these cards they will be on water, have a 900d sitting behind me in the box waiting on my new build :) Still impressive number's. My 7950's will do 1100 with no voltage increase but only get 50mghz more with voltage maxed sucks..

I have a 7970. Should I upgrade to this or crossfire? Single monitor at 2560x1440.

I am not so sure about crossfire because of incompatibilities and issues and it might not work for me.

What do you guys think?

you can use gpu tweak though right with the asus bios?
could upload the bios to techpowerup.
submit trough gpu-z

wanted to test a 290 asus with gou tweak as afterburner wont do more than 100mv and want the easier solution.

Ill try it again using the GPU tweak, still on the fence about doing the 290x bios swap

Last edited:
That score was with watercooled card fyi.

And those are really not game stable clocks. I have also disabled tessellation which increases score quite much. With tessellation and core @ 1320, I get about 19.8k.

I still haven't even tested game stable clocks because I don't have a single game installed atm. I guess its somewhere around 1200-1250.

I was only able to get 1190 core stable in games :( Needs more voltage.

I have a 7970. Should I upgrade to this or crossfire? Single monitor at 2560x1440.

I am not so sure about crossfire because of incompatibilities and issues and it might not work for me.

What do you guys think?

I upgraded from a 7970, its a pretty good jump.

upping the voltage doesn't net a whole lot of gain on my card. ASIC score 72.5%, reference cooler. i can go with either:

Option A)
Core: 1100 MHz
Mem: 1400 MHz
Voltage: +75mv
Powertune: +50%
Fan Cap: 63% (manual profile in Afterburner)

Option B)
Core: 1050 MHz
Mem: 1350 MHz
Voltage: +0mv
Powertune: +20%
Fan Cap: 55% (auto fan profile)

i'm leaving it at Option B 1050/1350. the tiny clock gain i get by adding voltage is not worth it. both scenarios are rock solid stable with no artifacts and no clock throttling.

What happens if you let the fan run free to 100%?

Just out of interest? Though I do understand that at 100% it's liable to make one's ears bleed...

upping the voltage doesn't net a whole lot of gain on my card. ASIC score 72.5%, reference cooler. i can go with either:

Option A)

Option B)
Core: 1050 MHz
Mem: 1350 MHz
Voltage: +0mv
Powertune: +20%
Fan Cap: 55% (auto fan profile)

i'm leaving it at Option B 1050/1350. the tiny clock gain i get by adding voltage is not worth it. both scenarios are rock solid stable with no artifacts and no clock throttling.

75mV is a small increase, only 0.075V
how much does it take to exceed 1100MHz?

upping the voltage doesn't net a whole lot of gain on my card. ASIC score 72.5%, reference cooler....

the tiny clock gain i get by adding voltage is not worth it. both scenarios are rock solid stable with no artifacts and no clock throttling.

The extra heat created by increasing voltage will require reference cooler to be set with a more aggressive fan speed to over come the throttling from the extra heat.

My card has same ASIC score as yours, my card is water cooled.

With ASUS GPU Tweak software I can increase voltage as high as 2v. I have never had the voltage that high but at 1300mhz on core GPU-Z has read max voltage around 1.45v.

The card needs to be effectively cooled to get more performance and it does scale well when over clocking and increasing voltage but the key to seeing performance improvements is tempertaure control.

Last edited:
Well my meter is saying 740w from the socket with those clocks. So with 85% efficiency that would be 630w.
If I up the volts so that I can pass 1330mhz, my psu just shuts down.

So I need to lower my cpu clock and volts a lot before I can actually pass 1330mhz.

I think I am running into the same problem when pushing 4.9GHZ on 4770k with 1.48v and 1300/1600 on 290x with 1.45v.

Will have to amp my over clocked RIG again. I recently amped my over clocked rig and thought I had enough head room to squeeze more over clock out of my rig but by just adding a little more over clock to my system I think my system is drawing significantly more
power. Will measure soon and follow up.

My original testing before pushing my over clocks. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1790364

What happens if you let the fan run free to 100%?

Just out of interest? Though I do understand that at 100% it's liable to make one's ears bleed...

i didn't bother testing at 100% because i knew i'd never leave it that loud. i think the max i could tolerate is 65% fan speed. maybe.

75mV is a small increase, only 0.075V
how much does it take to exceed 1100MHz?

eh just using Afterburner which has a +100mV limit. i'm sure MSI settled on that value with a somewhat large factor of safety, but it's good enough for me.

The extra heat created by increasing voltage will require reference cooler to be set with a more aggressive fan speed to over come the throttling that the extra heat.

yeah i'm sticking with the reference cooler. the card never went over 88C during my testing. maybe my limit is based on VRM temps and upping the fan to 100% would help. but like i said above i would never leave it above 65% anyway.

I think I am running into the same problem when pushing 4.9GHZ on 4770k with 1.48v and 1300/1600 on 290x with 1.45v.

Will have to amp my over clocked RIG again. I recently amped my over clocked rig and thought I had enough head room to squeeze more over clock out of my rig but by just adding a little more over clock to my system I think my system is drawing significantly more
power. Will measure soon and follow up.

My original testing before pushing my over clocks. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1790364

This is why I bought the biggest most efficient psu I could afford when I rebuilt a few years ago. Then it turned out that said psu didn't play nice with the x58 evga board so it sat on a shelf until a few months ago when I bought a 3750k and new board. I figure 88% efficiency 1100w PSU should last me a while :p

Where is the voltage control on asus tweak? I wasn't able to find it in the roughly 5 minutes I looked for it last night before playing games instead.

Where is the voltage control on asus tweak? I wasn't able to find it in the roughly 5 minutes I looked for it last night before playing games instead.

You have plenty of PSU head room for over clocking.

I thought my Seasonic Platinum 660X would be able to push a higher than rated load for a short benchmark but looks like it may not be that stable. I may have gotten a dud.

From what I have read the Asus PT1 BIOS works decent for over clocking with GPU Tweak "HAwaii" version. Search for them on Google and make sure you have the right BIOS and version of GPU tweak.

The unlock voltage settings are in the tabs and a pro trick that I haven't tried is to get rid of the ROG skin and then there are other features that the ROG skin hides.

I used the regular ASUS bios as I don't really plan on doing hardcore overclocking where max voltage becomes an issue.

I have a 670 and am wondering if I should upgrade to a 290 or get another 670 for SLI.

I could find a 670 used for around $200 and that would be considered a pretty good deal. Conversely I could sell my 670 for $200 or more and put that towards buying a 290, the cost differential would be equal or better at $200.

Then again there are no new games I am really interested in that my 670 can't handle, maybe I should wait for 20nm? I really can't see any practical advantages to getting a 290x over a 290. Of course though I will be waiting for better cooling solutions.

Last edited:
Well my meter is saying 740w from the socket with those clocks. So with 85% efficiency that would be 630w.
If I up the volts so that I can pass 1330mhz, my psu just shuts down.

So I need to lower my cpu clock and volts a lot before I can actually pass 1330mhz.

Is that what your meter is reading under 3dMark11 load?

THat is alot more than my RIG but your clocks are faster but seems like your Watts should not be as high.

REad my thread for reference about how I determined my loads.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1790364

You may be hitting an overall system stability issue and not a power supply problem. Your watts seem so high though that maybe you have a defective power supply that isn't performing as it should

Maybe you made a mistake on your power calculations? BAD meter?

XFX 290 results VS flashed to 290X results.

Stock

290stock_zps00f004e6.jpg

290 clocked to 1000/5000

290atstock290xspeeds_zpseedf8aa4.jpg

290 clocked to 1100/6000

290at1100-6000_zpsefcf2aa0.jpg

290 flashed to 290X and clocked down to stock 290 clocks

290Xat290speeds_zps43efa2d3.jpg

stock 290X clocks 1000/5000

290Xatstockspeed_zps2b594c6f.jpg

Clocked to 1100/6000

290Xat1100-6000_zps555134b0.jpg

Option A)

i've been running these settings lately with the exception of +100mV and it's been great. since i use headphones the fan profile is very tolerable. i'm going to stick with these settings. performance in BF4 is phenomenal. i haven't ran any benchmarks but it feels like overclocking even by small increments nets you big gains in minimum FPS, which is the most important factor to me.

Back