• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2900XT Ain't That Bad...

Best Buy has all Visiontek cards 20% off. That takes the card down to $319.99. Now only the bigger stores carry the HD2900XT, so you'll have to go to a store and ask if they have it, they just got them in last week. If they don't have the card, they can do a Customer Fullfillment and basically order the card for you. You pay for it in store, but they ship it to your house for free.

So now you just need to find the Fathers Day coupons for Best Buy, mine were emailed to me for being a credit card/reward zone member. They have a 12% off coupon good June 6-17th. I used that coupon for an additional 12% off of the 319.99 and it took it down to 281.59 and then tax. They also have 6 months no interest financing on purchases over $299 coupon with the Fathers day coupons, I bought something else to break the 299 mark and got 6 months interest free.
 
Best Buy has all Visiontek cards 20% off. That takes the card down to $319.99. Now only the bigger stores carry the HD2900XT, so you'll have to go to a store and ask if they have it, they just got them in last week. If they don't have the card, they can do a Customer Fullfillment and basically order the card for you. You pay for it in store, but they ship it to your house for free.

So now you just need to find the Fathers Day coupons for Best Buy, mine were emailed to me for being a credit card/reward zone member. They have a 12% off coupon good June 6-17th. I used that coupon for an additional 12% off of the 319.99 and it took it down to 281.59 and then tax. They also have 6 months no interest financing on purchases over $299 coupon with the Fathers day coupons, I bought something else to break the 299 mark and got 6 months interest free.

ND40oz, that is quite impressive! Needless to say, and heedless of the card, I bet I'm not the only one feeling jealous. :p
 
(Wholesaler)



Well for one it just is. There are more objects in trees to be rendered, and therefore more surfaces. Not only that, but trees are also sometimes round (I.e branches) which can also be difficult to render.

A giant block with 3 visible sides versus a canopy, with possibly hundreds of shapes to be rendered.

Who do you think is going to have to work harder?

(You don't even have to answer that one. It should be painfully obvious.)
Very weak statement here. Saying that 8800gts has to work harder then another does not equal 9-10 fps difference from the HD 2900 XT. All you have posted is assumptions based on speculations on what you think may happen given a certain situation. :) Again, there are other photos in that link that show plenty of other SS with the character in the same position between the 2 video cards :D
LOL
 
ND40oz, that is quite impressive! Needless to say, and heedless of the card, I bet I'm not the only one feeling jealous. :p

That is a really good Deal that he got. I am kinda jelous then I realized I would be giving my money to Best Buy and that cured that. Intel, Nvidia, Best Buy and American Airlines will never get my money again unless I have absolutly no choice.
 
Very weak statement here. Saying that 8800gts has to work harder then another does not equal 9-10 fps difference from the HD 2900 XT. All you have posted is assumptions based on speculations on what you think may happen given a certain situation. :) Again, there are other photos in that link that show plenty of other SS with the character in the same position between the 2 video cards :D
LOL

Actually it does make a difference, the guy who is testing the 2900XT even stated it did in one of his posts I read late last night.

And like I said before, you can't directly compare two different systems and then say all fps differences are solely the graphics card.

You also need to compare IQ, which you can't do w/o original uncompressed files such as pngs. And minor changes in the game like time of day/shadows will also change performance.
 
Actually it does make a difference, the guy who is testing the 2900XT even stated it did in one of his posts I read late last night.

And like I said before, you can't directly compare two different systems and then say all fps differences are solely the graphics card.

You also need to compare IQ, which you can't do w/o original uncompressed files such as pngs. And minor changes in the game like time of day/shadows will also change performance.
Sure graphics rendering on the screen changes but there is no data to say by how much if at all. Therefore, you do not know if it's enough to increase/decrease the 8800 GTS by 9-10 FPS during those ss. There is no data that backs up the 9-10 FPS difference in that 1 set of ss between the 2 video cards. Also, there are other SS that show similar renderings between the 2 video cards. :D
 
Sure graphics rendering on the screen changes but there is no data to say by how much if at all. Therefore, you do not know if it's enough to increase/decrease the 8800 GTS 9-10 FPS during those ss. Please provide the data that backs up the 9-10 FPS difference in that 1 set of ss between the 2 video cards. That's all I ask. Making assumptions based on what's rendered/whats not rendered is not enough to justify the 9-10 fps difference between the 8800 gts and HD 2900XT.

You can go find his quote about how he realized he took the SS from the wrong place and that his performance decreased when he did the right one, I've already seen it and know that it did drop performance.
 
You can go find his quote about how he realized he took the SS from the wrong place and that his performance decreased when he did the right one, I've already seen it and know that it did drop performance.
And was that a 9-10 FPS difference? This is what I have asked more then once. Honestly, why concentrate on 1 set of screen shots when there are others that show exactly what you are looking for.
lol
 
I paid £240 for my XT at pc world, it was the best priced option. If i had all the money in the world I would have gone for 2 8800 Ultra, however ive never bought the most expensive gear, and am waiting until I can afford a second 2900XT as prices are dropping already :

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...i+Radeon+HD+2900XT+512MB+DDR3?productId=27141
£246 currently online + £10 off for google checkout

that makes £236

the 8800 gts 640mb has dropped in price too!
http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...00GTS+640MB+PCI-E+OC+edition+?productId=27033

8800 gts 640mb is slightly cheaper - I would have gone nvidia again as I always have bought Nvidia but it just seems that every directx generation is eventually won by ATI..

We will see when directx 10 becomes mainstream which lineup truely takes dominance, for the time being, lets stop arguing and enjoy the anticipation of DX10 and gorgeous new games like crysis :)
 
I broke down and bought a second one since they're so cheap. I have to find a new PS before this weekend now...

I'm betting that crossfired for 563 plus tax outperforms the equivantly priced 8800GTX and the Ultra while it's at it.
 
I broke down and bought a second one since they're so cheap. I have to find a new PS before this weekend now...

I'm betting that crossfired for 563 plus tax outperforms the equivantly priced 8800GTX and the Ultra while it's at it.

:eek: runs and hides
 
which card is actually quieter (8800 gts 640 or this one). i want a quiet card and am getting one or the other
 
my bet is 8800GTS is a lot quieter.

sure 2900xt aint that bad, it's not like fx5200 ultimate or 6600gt can beat its ass.

my ati radeon 9600xt is better than 8800gtx because i listen to whatever eastcoasthandle said.
 
And was that a 9-10 FPS difference? This is what I have asked more then once. Honestly, why concentrate on 1 set of screen shots when there are others that show exactly what you are looking for.
lol

Because thats the only screenshot you XT fans have, honestly. In any other game, the XT gets spanked.

And you are trying to compare the XT to a card that has been out for what now...4+ months? And the XT is BARELY on par with a cheaper, less power consuming, more quiet card. Not to mention the fact that nVidia already has all of their bases covered for DX10. Everyone knows what they are getting with an 8800GTS, but everyone is too scared to get an XT cuz it ''might'' suck.

You can't compare cards like this...and even if you could...even if the XT could come close to being any kind of competition for the 8800GTS the GTS has been out for 4+ months.

Pretty sad ATI. Anyway you put it, ATI loses.

And if the reviewer admitted to those SS's being inconsistent how can you disagree? I know you are trying to justify your spending way too much on a pathetic card, but there really is no way.

(IMO, the 2900XT looks like a kid's meal toy from Macdonald's. Who designs their stuff!
 
Because thats the only screenshot you XT fans have, honestly. In any other game, the XT gets spanked.

And you are trying to compare the XT to a card that has been out for what now...4+ months? And the XT is BARELY on par with a cheaper, less power consuming, more quiet card. Not to mention the fact that nVidia already has all of their bases covered for DX10. Everyone knows what they are getting with an 8800GTS, but everyone is too scared to get an XT cuz it ''might'' suck.

You can't compare cards like this...and even if you could...even if the XT could come close to being any kind of competition for the 8800GTS the GTS has been out for 4+ months.

Pretty sad ATI. Anyway you put it, ATI loses.

And if the reviewer admitted to those SS's being inconsistent how can you disagree? I know you are trying to justify your spending way too much on a pathetic card, but there really is no way.

(IMO, the 2900XT looks like a kid's meal toy from Macdonald's. Who designs their stuff!

When you cannot provide the information show that the 8800GTS shows a 9-10 FPS difference from the HD 2900XT in those ss you get upset and do a wha, wha post LOL. As I stated before, there are other photos of Oblivion that show similar ss using both cards. Nothing wrong with those ss at all. Oh, BTW as drivers mature, performance will mature nothing new there. No need to get upset because you are seeing that. :D
 
When you cannot provide the information show that the 8800GTS shows a 9-10 FPS difference from the HD 2900XT in those ss you get upset and do a wha, wha post LOL. As I stated before, there are other photos of Oblivion that show similar ss using both cards. Nothing wrong with those ss at all. Oh, BTW as drivers mature, performance will mature nothing new there. No need to get upset because you are seeing that. :D

Do you think - honestly - that you can even begin to justify comparing these 2 cards? LOL! The GTS has been out for 4+ months, once again. I hate to restate what I said, but it is still valid. Cards do not come out slow, and then become better than the stuff that has been around 4+ months. It just does not happen.

We should see at least some form of performance improvement from a new card like this, but there is none. In fact, there is a performance drop. And a power consumption hike.

Do you know anything about video cards? Plants and trees/canopies are harder for video cards to produce, and even the reviewer admitted it. Why can't you?
 
Do you think - honestly - that you can even begin to justify comparing these 2 cards? LOL! The GTS has been out for 4+ months, once again. I hate to restate what I said, but it is still valid. Cards do not come out slow, and then become better than the stuff that has been around 4+ months. It just does not happen.

We should see at least some form of performance improvement from a new card like this, but there is none. In fact, there is a performance drop. And a power consumption hike.

Do you know anything about video cards? Plants and trees/canopies are harder for video cards to produce, and even the reviewer admitted it. Why can't you?

1. I'd like to ask Messr.'s Dobrowolski or Bennett if there aren't instances where a piece of hardware, be it graphics, chipset, what have you, have improved enough through driver improvements to warrant reassessment of its value? I'm not saying this would be the case with the 2900XT, but I allow for its possibility, especially on the strength of ATI's history of frequent driver improvements.

2. What's with the time obsesion? Did the teacher tell Nvidia and ATI their homework was due Q4 '06? It would certainly make for better sport if the industry mandated the exact date of product releases, but it would quickly result in worse products all around for consumers, so that's a dangerous idea to nurture as it'd bite us all in the end. (Yes, double entendre' intended)

3. This is the first I've heard of a performance drop. After the 7.5 Cat's, overall performance increased, either way you look at it: last gen ATI to this gen, or from driver to driver on this card.
 
The main problem with the 2900XT is that it serves no purpose in life. nVidia has a product (GTS640) that costs the same or less that performs similarly or better, uses less power, runs quieter and keeps your room temperatures lower. nVidia has TWO products that are better hands down (GTX/Ultra)

Is the HD 2900XT better than the 1900 series? Of course it is, but that doesn't mean much in todays DX10 world.

This is not nVidia fanboy talk either, I have a x1900xtx and the only reason I don't have a 8800GTX is becuase I was waiting for the 2900 to wow me... It failed. The only reason I don't have a C2Q is becuase I'm waiting for Barcelona, and that isn't looking good sofar. If anything, I'm an AMD/ATI fan, but I'm also not blinded by brand loyalty like some of you are. I personally will NOT spend my hard earned money on an inferior product. The 2900XT is just that, inferior.
 
OK, I know every troll will come out from under his bridge packing a flamethrower when I tramp, tramp, tramp along saying this, but here we go anywho:

I've had my Sapphire HD 2900XT for a little over a week now and it ain't that bad. To hear people before talk, I was thinking my system and exhaust temps would be enough to bake bread, but neither have budged since adding this card. It's running along at a 58c average, never breaking 70 when gaming. Then the noise issue: there isn't one. Does the noise come with a voucher, as well? I can't hear the card except for a few seconds at boot, then it tones down. As for performance, it beats the snot out of the X1900XT's I was using before it, both in speed and image quality. I bought the card on May 31 and installed the 8.37.4.* driver, then uninstalled, and installed the 8.38 driver on June 1, and there was a noticable improvement.

To sum up, I hate to disappoint anyone, but I'm liking this card a damn lot. I'm reminded of a quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail (and you'd best stop at this parenthetical if you don't care for MP. It's stupid, yes, but also entirely germaine to the issue because of that fact), when brave Brave Sir Robin says to... Tim, in reference to the evil beast that awaited them:

"You stupid sod! You got us all worked up for nothing. I soiled my armor, I was so scared!"

6 months late, extremly loud, especially crossfire, 90~100 degrees Celcius? Pricier.. WTF is ATi thinking.. while performance maybe good, but averagely it is not 33% faster than the 8800 GTS, and I'm sure the 8900 gts might be out soon later this fall, godspeed ATi..
 
The main problem with the 2900XT is that it serves no purpose in life. nVidia has a product (GTS640) that costs the same or less that performs similarly or better, uses less power, runs quieter and keeps your room temperatures lower. nVidia has TWO products that are better hands down (GTX/Ultra)

Is the HD 2900XT better than the 1900 series? Of course it is, but that doesn't mean much in todays DX10 world.

This is not nVidia fanboy talk either, I have a x1900xtx and the only reason I don't have a 8800GTX is becuase I was waiting for the 2900 to wow me... It failed. The only reason I don't have a C2Q is becuase I'm waiting for Barcelona, and that isn't looking good sofar. If anything, I'm an AMD/ATI fan, but I'm also not blinded by brand loyalty like some of you are. I personally will NOT spend my hard earned money on an inferior product. The 2900XT is just that, inferior.

I agree with what you are saying there. Like has been said, the 2900XT isn't a bad card, it just doesn't really serve a purpose in life other than to give more selection. I still think it's going to get better slightly more but it's still not looking as good as it "should" have looked.

Anywho, carry on ;)
 
The main problem with the 2900XT is that it serves no purpose in life. nVidia has a product (GTS640) that costs the same or less that performs similarly or better, uses less power, runs quieter and keeps your room temperatures lower. nVidia has TWO products that are better hands down (GTX/Ultra)

Is the HD 2900XT better than the 1900 series? Of course it is, but that doesn't mean much in todays DX10 world.

This is not nVidia fanboy talk either, I have a x1900xtx and the only reason I don't have a 8800GTX is becuase I was waiting for the 2900 to wow me... It failed. The only reason I don't have a C2Q is becuase I'm waiting for Barcelona, and that isn't looking good sofar. If anything, I'm an AMD/ATI fan, but I'm also not blinded by brand loyalty like some of you are. I personally will NOT spend my hard earned money on an inferior product. The 2900XT is just that, inferior.

I agree. Why would you spend money on an inferior piece of hardware when the obvious choice is less expensive and performs as good or better. It just doesn't make sense, I dunno what ATi was thinking.

6 months late, extremly loud, especially crossfire, 90~100 degrees Celcius? Pricier.. WTF is ATi thinking.. while performance maybe good, but averagely it is not 33% faster than the 8800 GTS, and I'm sure the 8900 gts might be out soon later this fall, godspeed ATi...

Good luck ATi. Better step it up.
 
I dont get it, ive shown you evidence that it is the same price of the equivalent Nvidia card, and in Crossfire it outperforms the 8800 ultra and is cheaper. ...

Like i said, wait for DX10 games to come out and save the banter for then :)

(not including demo's or old games that are patched to be dx10)
 
I dont get it, ive shown you evidence that it is the same price of the equivalent Nvidia card, and in Crossfire it outperforms the 8800 ultra and is cheaper. ...

Like i said, wait for DX10 games to come out and save the banter for then :)

(not including demo's or old games that are patched to be dx10)

Yeah Gilj, if you sweat it, it'll boggle your mind. Some people just can't adjust to a fluid situation, and work off of a 'snapshot' view (often taken at the onset of the issue). So when something doesn't match the dated 'snapshot' in their head, it's rough times for all. How many times have I said 'so far...' or in other ways qualified my speculation in this thread? I'm not waffling, I'm indicating that's my view to that moment, with the strong implication that further information would revise my view, if needed.
 
I dont get it, ive shown you evidence that it is the same price of the equivalent Nvidia card, and in Crossfire it outperforms the 8800 ultra and is cheaper. ...

Like i said, wait for DX10 games to come out and save the banter for then :)

(not including demo's or old games that are patched to be dx10)

now the problem is, you and some other guy are happy with your purchase of 2900XT while some other guy are happy with their GTS/GTX.
so there's no point arguing anymore, really, i got tired with all of this argument keeps rolling and rolling again.
 
Do you think - honestly - that you can even begin to justify comparing these 2 cards? LOL! The GTS has been out for 4+ months, once again. I hate to restate what I said, but it is still valid. Cards do not come out slow, and then become better than the stuff that has been around 4+ months. It just does not happen.

We should see at least some form of performance improvement from a new card like this, but there is none. In fact, there is a performance drop. And a power consumption hike.

Do you know anything about video cards? Plants and trees/canopies are harder for video cards to produce, and even the reviewer admitted it. Why can't you?

It's very obvious you know nothing about video cards. If you did you would have provided evidence that 8800GTS gain/lost 9-10 FPS in that ss you complain about so much. HA! And, you also present a weak argument regarding which card is slower. If you examined the SS you complain so much about it's clear which card came out on top (just one example), HA! Your post is nothing more then regurgitated banter, ;) . The truth of it is, you are seeing performance improvements. That's why you are so upset. :D

LOL
 
This is not nVidia fanboy talk either, I have a x1900xtx and the only reason I don't have a 8800GTX is becuase I was waiting for the 2900 to wow me... It failed. The only reason I don't have a C2Q is becuase I'm waiting for Barcelona, and that isn't looking good sofar. If anything, I'm an AMD/ATI fan, but I'm also not blinded by brand loyalty like some of you are. I personally will NOT spend my hard earned money on an inferior product. The 2900XT is just that, inferior.

QFT, I waited 6 months for this card so when it finally came out I've been nothing but pissed. I shoulda just bought the gtx when it came out, but I just had to wait to see ati respond. :mad:
 
Where I live (China) Nvidia didn't even bother trying to undercut the HD 2900XT launch by dropping prices on its 8800 series of cards, LOL. In fact they haven't moved noticably since December, as I was considering them as well, LOL. Thus, when considering the price/performance/noise ratio, it's the winner, LOL. As hard as it is to believe, there are hardware enthusiasts in other countries, and when looked at from other markets' perspectives, the 2900XT, LOL, often wins.

I am having a hard time trying to figure out why you are getting bent out of shape here. You knew what you were doing when you posted this, and everyone here is entitled to their opinion. It just happens to be in favor of nVidia as of now. However, it is still a matter of opinion vs fact.

I am an nVidia fan but if I had to pick just ONE good thing about ATi it would be their driver support.
 
I am having a hard time trying to figure out why you are getting bent out of shape here. You knew what you were doing when you posted this, and everyone here is entitled to their opinion. It just happens to be in favor of nVidia as of now. However, it is still a matter of opinion vs fact....

Hello Proxy. Would "it" in your post be everyone's opinion? Again, why is everyone deciding what my opinion (or any other 2900XT owner who has the bad grace to actually be pleased with their purchase) is required to be? That is why I was bent out of shape by that guy's comments. Oh, and the not so subtle attitude (Post #62) that people who don't follow the McCarthy-era'ish politics of 'Kicking it like Kyle' or Bending it like Brent', and instead make less prosaic hardware choices don't belong here, also irks (sorry to drag your names in, gentlemen. The criticism is of others). I may be only registered in the forums since this year, but I've been a dedicated [H]ardOCP reader and proponent for nine years. I belong here, too until Mr. Bennett says otherwise. I ain't running anywhere from anyone. lastly, the whole smirking 'LOL'ishness of that particular poster I was responding to was a bit much. Some say I deserve all the abuse being flung my way by posting at [H], well anybody that smirks at me will receive equal measure in return.
 
Would "it" be everyone's opinion? Again, why is everyone deciding what my opinion (or any other 2900XT owner who has the bad grace to actually be pleased with their purchase) is required to be? That is why I was bent out of shape by that guy's comments. Oh, and the not so subtle attitude (Post #62) that people who don't follow the McCarthy-era'ish politics of 'Kicking it like Kyle' or Bending it like Brent' (sorry to drag your names in, gentlemen. The criticism is of others) and instead make less prosaic hardware choices don't belong here, also irk. I may be only registered in the forums since this year, but I've been a dedicated [H]ardOCP reader and proponent for nine years. I belong here, too until Mr. Bennett says otherwise. I ain't running anywhere from anyone.

Dude you gotta learn to relax a bit, no one is telling you what your opinion should be, they were just stating a fact and or their own opinions. It is a fact engineering wise that the 8800 is still better, so don't shun people who were pointing that out, you can think the x2900XT is the greatest thing in the world awesome more power to you (no pun intended). To be honest I think you were looking for a flame war, witch is why I think this topic should be locked now.
 
It's very obvious you know nothing about video cards. If you did you would have provided evidence that 8800GTS gain/lost 9-10 FPS in that ss you complain about so much. HA! And, you also present a weak argument regarding which card is slower. If you examined the SS you complain so much about it's clear which card came out on top (just one example), HA! Your post is nothing more then regurgitated banter, ;) . The truth of it is, you are seeing performance improvements. That's why you are so upset. :D

LOL

Well personally I trust the findings of a respected site like [H] more than a random person posting unrepeated screenshots.
 
Overall when you perform normalization and don't consider only 1 review and consider multiple the HD 2900 XT sits in between the GTS 640 and GTX.

Image Quality is hard to say, the HD 2900 XT has washed out AA, with no improvement to AF barely compared to it's predecessor, the 8800 Series is alot better in terms of improvement over the previous series in that arena. The 8800 has a better AF implementation but, it's difficult to see the differences.

The HD 2900 XT consumes more power then a 8800 GTX, which is a fact, and not a great thing obviously. So while the recommended limit for the 8800 GTS is probably a quality brand 430W, you will need at least a quality 500W for the HD 2900, simply because you need 2 6-Pin PCI-E Connectors.

The pricing will vary depending on where your looking, I would say for the most part the 8800 GTS 640 has a advantage here as it has been out longer despite it's larger initial MSRP of 449USD, it's normalized street price is on average lower then the HD 2900 XT.

That said if you can find the HD 2900 XT for ~350 or lower it becomes a reasonably good deal.
 
I guess it makes sense to depend on a review with older beta drivers. :rolleyes: Nice try there but it's always a good idea to find out how well current drivers are doing.

For someone who likes to constantly correct others, that should be considered an old review, not a review that used old beta drivers. Big difference.


Anyway, like winston856 said, carry on ;)
 
Dude you gotta learn to relax a bit, no one is telling you what your opinion should be, they were just stating a fact and or their own opinions. It is a fact engineering wise that the 8800 is still better, so don't shun people who were pointing that out, you can think the x2900XT is the greatest thing in the world awesome more power to you (no pun intended). To be honest I think you were looking for a flame war, witch is why I think this topic should be locked now.

Hi Proxy,
No, I wasn't out for a flame war. It's just that the sheer predictability of some guaranteed it. Why should I be asked to back down in the thread I initiated? Is the 8800GTX better based on the evaluation of other reviewers around the web? Hell yeah. But I'm not certain as to the 8800GTS. This thread's title says nothing about the 8800 series, though. If I had posted a thread entitled "My 2900XT makes your 8800 look shriveled and unwashed", then that would certainly be inciting a flame war. But the mere mention of 2900XT + 'not bad' raises hackles and brings the packs. If someone starts flinging the mud at the mere mention of 2900XT, then they were out trolling anyway. This post just gave these 'nomads of the forums' someplace to camp for a few days. I'll give you this, though: I should have been idiotically simple and specific with the thread's title, so some would have realised it was for ATI HD 2900XT owners to discuss the card and their experiences. Ah well, next time, if the forums allow for such a long title and if trolls can stay awake until periods. As for this topic being locked... whatever would others do with their free time then?
 
For someone who likes to constantly correct others, that should be considered an old review, not a review that used old beta drivers. Big difference.


Anyway, like winston856 said, carry on ;)
The drivers are considered older to the current version available :D.
 
The drivers are considered older to the current version available :D.

You obviously missed the point. I could drop a "ATI had 6 additional months and those were the best release drivers they could come up with" mama joke, but it will probably go over your head.
 
Back
Top