290/290x availability thread

For nVidia I really liked EVGA, it ran cool and quiet and had good performance. Right now I am looking to switch to 280X/290, which are the good brands for AMD cards?

For nVidia I really liked EVGA, it ran cool and quiet and had good performance. Right now I am looking to switch to 280X/290, which are the good brands for AMD cards?

they all are pretty good, for a high end card I'd probably get a sapphire, msi, or myself I got a asus dcu2 which is a sexy double cooler on the 290x/290 unlike last gen when it was a triple slot cooler

Also it has a waterblock coming from EK, it does use elpida memory so don't expect epic gains in that sector

Things to consider:

GPU temp
VRM temp
Newer revision seems to improve previous weaknesses with GPU and VRM temps
GPU clock is consistent and doesn't throttle due to temp
DRAM manufacturer (Hynix preferred over Elpida)
Stability (OC versions seem to be hit and miss so perhaps stock clock is better)
Fan noise
Build quality
RMA/customer service quality
Length of warranty and if transferable when sold
Aesthetics

Look at the reviews and feedback on Newegg, Amazon, litecointalk.org, bitcointalk.org, etc. Even if you don't mine it's good info to understand potential and stability if you decide to sell down the road.

So far it seems like Sapphire and MSI are preferred. More issues reported with Asus and Gigabyte. Not enough data on XFX.

I gave up waiting for a reasonably priced aftermarket 290 to be available and bought a GTX 780 Lightning earlier tonight. First time on the green side since my 7950GT from 6 years ago.

I gave up waiting for a reasonably priced aftermarket 290 to be available and bought a GTX 780 Lightning earlier tonight. First time on the green side since my 7950GT from 6 years ago.

I've been thinking about this too, but I just don't like the multi-monitor support on nVidia.

I just got notification that the card(asus 290x DCU2) I ordered from AMAZON(Jan 25th) is being prepared for shipment. I ordered another 4 days later so I am feeling VERY good at this point.

It's a bit early to tell, but it seems like availability is improving. Last week NE had none. Now they have 5x290X and 6x290 in stock. Still at their ridiculous prices, but they have stock.

I would feel pretty comfortable about ordering from Amazon and only having a short wait, ATM.

I've been thinking about this too, but I just don't like the multi-monitor support on nVidia.

Why not? I never used Eyefinity but I've had zero problems with my surround settings, I was actually surprised to find it was so easy!

I just got notification that the card(asus 290x DCU2) I ordered from AMAZON(Jan 25th) is being prepared for shipment. I ordered another 4 days later so I am feeling VERY good at this point.

By odins raven! I ordered mine on the 25th of jan and mine haven't updated yet...damn you!

But yet you give me hope

Well..................I just got notification that the second card I ordered will NOT be shipping on time. So either they are allocating cards to 1 per person or they did not get as many as they were expecting and have orders for. So that is good and bad news. If the cards are being allocated by AMAZON then it is bad news for those of us that just want to run crossfire for our high resolution gaming. It is also bad news for those that are mining. Good news for those just that want a single card and the allocation shows that Amazon is trying to do the right thing by stretching the inventory to let everybody have a shot at getting the card.

If they are NOT allocating then it just shows the high demand.(which we already knew). Had I purchased them both at the same time rather than 4 days apart I would have the real answer.

Keep an eye on Craigslists. Guy a couple of counties over was selling XFX 290X reference in box for $300. It was actually a 290X.

00X0X_7hdEXq5hXx0_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Not everyone is a miner and aware of the appreciation in value. Selling a $550 MSRP item released a few months ago for $300 is in line with depreciation of computers and electronics.

Last edited:
Not everyone is a miner and aware of the appreciation in value. Selling a $400 MSRP item released a few months ago for $300 is in line with depreciation of computers and electronics.

While not quite the same thing, I snagged the 2 ASUS 5870's listed in my sig NEW from craigslist back in spring 2010 for $550 for the both of them. They were selling for $625/each at the time. The seller gave me the link to the Newegg invoice. They were purchased to go into a HP enterprise computer, but the HP rep informed them that it would void the warranty if those cards were installed.

Living in Austin, TX. these deals are difficult to come by because it is such a high tech city. Especially now!! Legit deals are out there though, you just have to be fast.

There are always edge cases. Like houses selling for $1 ... to someones relative.

The wider marketplace, where you live in the real world, has a real problem with high end AMD cards for all the various reasons.

I ordered my card on Feb 1st from amazon. havent heard a peep from them yet.

I keep expecting them to renege on the "deal", since my quoted price of 603 inc international delivery, is something like $200 below the going price. Outliarsbedamned, its very difficult to source the cards for a reasonable price.

Must....resist....

Come to think about it, if there weren't mining, it could be at $549, or even $499.

All sold out so no need to ponder. All sold out of new arrival at ShopBLT too.

Just got confirmation on 11th March delivery date on my Asus DirectCUII R9-290X from Amazon. I placed the order on Feb 1st for $US579. All up $US603, about $AU690.

I have been searching for a new video card since I built my new system in Feb2013, when GTX 680 cards were $AU800+ and Titans were $AU1300+.

I just bought my 290 the other day for $399 + tax at Akihabara in Japan.

Good news, Bitcoin just pretty much imploded. Cards should be available again at normal prices soon.

All cryptocurrency is plummeting. Might be related to all the stuff with Mt Gox.

I would love to get another Asus R9 290x for gaming.

Got tired of waiting for the Asus DirectCU R9 290 OC from ShopBLT, just cancelled my order and bought a DCU GTX 780. Wasn't planning on switching teams, but after waiting so long, it's time to try them out again.

Got tired of waiting for the Asus DirectCU R9 290 OC from ShopBLT, just cancelled my order and bought a DCU GTX 780. Wasn't planning on switching teams, but after waiting so long, it's time to try them out again.

Yeah, just got an email from BLT that my order for DCU has been delayed yet again.... That's #4 in the last month. Think I'm gonna cancel as well, and simply buy the cryptos at their lovely low prices now... Thanks Mt.Gox ...:cool:

I don't think there have been any complaints about ShopBLT in general around here. They didn't have any in stock when you ordered, so ... big surprise there that they couldn't get any for a while on a hot item gouged everywhere? Did you expect them to work miracles?

I don't think there have been any complaints about ShopBLT in general around here. They didn't have any in stock when you ordered, so ... big surprise there that they couldn't get any for a while on a hot item gouged everywhere? Did you expect them to work miracles?

Not really. I expected the first two in stock estimate changes. I did not expect the third stock estimate date to move out some 6 months from the original order date. I assumed 3 months +/- from order to when they would be in stock.

Back