290/290x availability thread

I ended up going with the R9 270X from TigerDirect for $199. I was wanting to get an MSI Gaming R9 290 for $469 off Amazon but 1 to 3 month wait is just killing me. I'll just save up again to get that card and maybe more will come in stock so I don't have to wait a month.

Other than that, I can't wait to install the 270X, just got it today from UPS.

I ended up going with the R9 270X from TigerDirect for $199. I was wanting to get an MSI Gaming R9 290 for $469 off Amazon but 1 to 3 month wait is just killing me. I'll just save up again to get that card and maybe more will come in stock so I don't have to wait a month.

Other than that, I can't wait to install the 270X, just got it today from UPS.
How/when did you get $199?

Did you mean $299? Is this the one you got?

MSI Radeon R9 270X Video Card - 4GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), Ovrclocked - R9 270X GAMING 4G:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8857307

How/when did you get $199?

Did you mean $299? Is this the one you got?

MSI Radeon R9 270X Video Card - 4GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), Ovrclocked - R9 270X GAMING 4G:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8857307
This one:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat....asp?EdpNo=8592919&tab=7&SRCCODE=WEBLET03SHIP

2014-03-06_10-38-31.png

It was $199 before it got sold out, and last e-mail showed me it went up to $249 before being sold out again.

same visiontek 270x's are on amazon for $210 constantly but they don't overclock but are solid 450k cards for mining. We have a thread for 270/x available in the crypto forum

same visiontek 270x's are on amazon for $210 constantly but they don't overclock but are solid 450k cards for mining. We have a thread for 270/x available in the crypto forum
Yup, that's where I saw them mentioned-- in the Mining forums. It was either these or the Diamond 270X from B&H Photo for $219. The Visiontek came at a lower price, low shipping, and no tax, so ended up going with the Visiontek.

Last edited:
HIS 290(x)? That's been delayed for quite a while now. Are there any reviews for it out? HIS always have good coolers.

HIS 290(x)? That's been delayed for quite a while now. Are there any reviews for it out? HIS always have good coolers.
Despite the yellow-ish color, HIS makes good coolers.

Now, to cross my fingers, and see if the MSI Gaming R9 290 comes up as available and on sale...

Is there an Asus R9 290x selling? I've been thinking of doing tri-fire on mine.

The HIS 280x cooler got amazing reviews despite it's ugly colors.
It might be the best of the bunch.

Club3D is more European heavy than American. I honestly didn't even know they were still around

Club3D is more European heavy than American. I honestly didn't even know they were still around
Yeah, very European-centric company.

I was surprised to see their Club3D 270X on Newegg, but that's the only place I've seen a Club3D card at our side of the Atlantic Ocean. It would be great to see them expand more in the US market. Their cards look great and if going by European review sites are good cards as well.

NE is the exclusive Club3D distributor for USA (a recent development)

I just got 2 R9 290X ASUS DC2 OC cards in last week that I have not opened yet. Contemplating sending them back because I really want a reference Gigabyte R9 290 to match the one I have. WHY? because it has Hynix memory! I know it is no guarantee I will get it again but at least I have a shot.

I just got 2 R9 290X ASUS DC2 OC cards in last week that I have not opened yet. Contemplating sending them back because I really want a reference Gigabyte R9 290 to match the one I have. WHY? because it has Hynix memory! I know it is no guarantee I will get it again but at least I have a shot.

</firstworldproblems>

Looks like ever since Bitcoin took a double-kick in the growing over the last couple weeks, all the cryptos are going in the sewer, and now all the sudden we got price wars on AMD's hardware... At the beginning of the week I saw 280x going for $499.. Now, I've seen them as low as $419...

Looks like ever since Bitcoin took a double-kick in the growing over the last couple weeks, all the cryptos are going in the sewer, and now all the sudden we got price wars on AMD's hardware... At the beginning of the week I saw 280x going for $499.. Now, I've seen them as low as $419...

LOL, I bought my 280x (7970) for $225 back in Early December.

Cryptos are not going into the sewer. People are finding that the top end isn't as efficient as the bottom. In the last few months there's been a huge movement to the low end. Plus 280xs are notoriously difficult to work with, and the 290/x cards need more hardware and cooling setups to run safely that miners are just not using those cards.

Plus there now is an FPGA that is reasonably priced that can be daisy chained x infinity on one motherboard and sucks 10w at the wall that's widely available. Also alpha techs asic at 25 and 5 mh/s seem close to release that people are dumping their old cards for 270x 750ti smd gridseeds.

</firstworldproblems>

Poor baby, I'm so sorry you do not have any FWP's of your own. I just ache for you. I have freedom of choice and am willing to exercise it. Hynix is my choice.

RESPONDING TO "I just got 2 R9 290X ASUS DC2 OC cards in last week that I have not opened yet. Contemplating sending them back because I really want a reference Gigabyte R9 290 to match the one I have. WHY? because it has Hynix memory! I know it is no guarantee I will get it again but at least I have a shot."

Because I was responding to;

Originally Posted by XViper View Post

Cryptos are not going into the sewer. People are finding that the top end isn't as efficient as the bottom. In the last few months there's been a huge movement to the low end. Plus 280xs are notoriously difficult to work with, and the 290/x cards need more hardware and cooling setups to run safely that miners are just not using those cards.

Plus there now is an FPGA that is reasonably priced that can be daisy chained x infinity on one motherboard and sucks 10w at the wall that's widely available. Also alpha techs asic at 25 and 5 mh/s seem close to release that people are dumping their old cards for 270x 750ti smd gridseeds.

Just released, the new EVGA 750Ti does 300 KH/s @60watts and cost $150. Get a cheap MB & PSU and you are good to go. What ever level of $$$ you spend on your main investment, you will most likely spend a corresponding level on components that are needed to run and maintain it(as a general rule).

If you can get a 3 PCIe slot motherboard(~$100) you will only need a 250-300Watt PSU. These are available on Craigslist for $10 all day long. That brings down the cost of entry and the payback time greatly. Check out Newegg/Amazon and see how many of this model is already out of stock. BTW, they do not do SLI either, nor do they need and extra power pin from the PSU (this card(s) breaks the rule).

HOWEVER,
The problem with the dedicated FPGA machines it that it will put scrypt coin mining in the same place as Bitcoin mining is now, out of the reach of the common person. As it is more heavily mined with these heavy duty machines the difficulty level will increase.

Last edited:
Looks like miners are unloading their GPUs so pricing should deflate. Picked up a R9 280X locally for $250. There's a guy a few cities over unloading 70 Asus R9 280Xs.

Argh I ordered three reference Asus 290 from NCIX and they shipped me DCII 290 instead... so now my waterblocks won't fit. :eek:

Not the first time this happens when NCIX. It's not even the same SKU.

Argh I ordered three reference Asus 290 from NCIX and they shipped me DCII 290 instead... so now my waterblocks won't fit. :eek:

Not the first time this happens when NCIX. It's not even the same SKU.

....and they probably thought they were doing you a favor

Looks like miners are unloading their GPUs so pricing should deflate. Picked up a R9 280X locally for $250. There's a guy a few cities over unloading 70 Asus R9 280Xs.

They are going to dedicated machines like the Terraminers https://cointerra.com/ Cheaper to buy and operate with much greater returns. 2 TH/s for $6000. If he sold them for $250 each, he could by 3 of these machines. At $200 each he could buy 2 of them and have cash left over. Much lower electricity bills, and more space in his home.

There are other machine available but you get the idea. Same idea is being generated for scryptcoins also.

They are going to dedicated machines like the Terraminers https://cointerra.com/ Cheaper to buy and operate with much greater returns. 2 TH/s for $6000. If he sold them for $250 each, he could by 3 of these machines. At $200 each he could buy 2 of them and have cash left over. Much lower electricity bills, and more space in his home.

There are other machine available but you get the idea. Same idea is being generated for scryptcoins also.

If those Terraminers shipped *today* they'd be a good value, but I'd say difficulty could be anywhere from 5x to 10x by June. If 10x, you'd be looking at a break-even of 6 months - and difficulty will keep rising so ROI window will keep getting pushed back.

ASICs also depreciate in value quickly, an Avalon batch 3 - 60 GH/s cost almost $8000, you can sell them for only around $500 now.

....and they probably thought they were doing you a favor

They probably did.

What an annoying situation. Now I have to resell my unused blocks. And AFAIK, there ARE no blocks available for these DCII cards.

Ugh.

They probably did.

What an annoying situation. Now I have to resell my unused blocks. And AFAIK, there ARE no blocks available for these DCII cards.

Ugh.

Are you sure about that..? I heard.. Yeah, I did...:
http://www.ekwb.com/news/438/19/New-FC-water-block-in-the-making-for-ASUS-R9290X-DC2/

And:
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=9134

EDIT 3:
Also, couldn't you sell those cards for a bit of a profit, anyways?

EDIT 4 - because eff the police:

Call up wherever you got the blocks from, I'm willing to bet you'd be able to talk your way into them removing the restocking fee..

Are you sure about that..? I heard.. Yeah, I did...:
http://www.ekwb.com/news/438/19/New-FC-water-block-in-the-making-for-ASUS-R9290X-DC2/

And:
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=9134

EDIT 3:
Also, couldn't you sell those cards for a bit of a profit, anyways?

EDIT 4 - because eff the police:

Call up wherever you got the blocks from, I'm willing to bet you'd be able to talk your way into them removing the restocking fee..

If you got them from FrozenCPU I'm pretty sure they would swap you out for the price of shipping/difference in block. The guy I talked to when I needed to make a change to my order when I ordered my blocks made it really simple to change things.

Still worth a try. Most places are much easier to work with for an exchange than flat out return.

Was looking at R9 290's this morning...

Amazon has Asus DCII for $499 in stock

Also has XFX DD for $499, and the Black edition for $504.

Gigabyte for $539.

All in stock...

Signs of good things to come for those of us that have been patiently waiting since November for the AIO coolers and the coin craze to settle down.

I'm hopeing to get an AIO 290 (non MSI) for around $450 which I believe is the MSRP.

If everything comes down, I may splurge and get the MSI lightning 290X which looks amazing!

Was looking at R9 290's this morning...

Amazon has Asus DCII for $499 in stock

Also has XFX DD for $499, and the Black edition for $504.

Gigabyte for $539.

All in stock...

Signs of good things to come for those of us that have been patiently waiting since November for the AIO coolers and the coin craze to settle down.

I'm hopeing to get an AIO 290 (non MSI) for around $450 which I believe is the MSRP.

If everything comes down, I may splurge and get the MSI lightning 290X which looks amazing!

That is still more than I paid for my 290 DD eek.

Back