290/290x availability thread

Single 290 will not do 120fps on high+ detail settings in modern games.

Is it worth upgrading from a 7970 to a 290? I pretty much only play bf4. I'm going to be getting a 1440p 120hz(hopefully) monitor to game on.

Single 290 will not do 120fps on high+ detail settings in modern games.

That's the beauty of 1440p, you don't need much AA since the pixels are so dense, its AA through pixel density. So yes, you can do 120fps. But even lower FPS just look smoother on a 120hz monitor.

That's the beauty of 1440p, you don't need much AA since the pixels are so dense, its AA through pixel density. So yes, you can do 120fps. But even lower FPS just look smoother on a 120hz monitor.

Yep, it's silly to think you need 120FPS all the time to take advantage of a 120Hz monitor.

120Hz ... many benefits: much less input lag, tearing much less visible regardless of framerate, and obvious smoothness benefits at any level above 60fps, smooth 24fps movie playback...

Yep, it's silly to think you need 120FPS all the time to take advantage of a 120Hz monitor.

120Hz ... many benefits: much less input lag, tearing much less visible regardless of framerate, and obvious smoothness benefits at any level above 60fps, smooth 24fps movie playback...

So a 290 would be a good fit for a 120hz 1440p monitor?

I bought (pre-ordered) a standing desk through them and they were great with communication and gave me pretty consistent updates about the shipping (there was a delay from the manufacturer).

YMMV when it comes to the videos cards though.
im waiting for the AIB designed cards to hit this price, but glad to hear something about this site for anyone who wants to try and get this

Prices for 290x/290 are slowly falling on Newegg, I been looking everyday. The 290x is closer to MSRP currently than the 290.

Prices for 290x/290 are slowly falling on Newegg, I been looking everyday. The 290x is closer to MSRP currently than the 290.

thats because the 290x has always been overpriced. The 290 is simply amazing for the MSRP and does really close to the same hash as the 290x

Whats a good reference 290 manufacturer? Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire, XFX? I'm thinking of going Asus.

The Asus 290X DC2 on Amazon went from "Temporarily Out of Stock" to "Ships within 3 to 4 weeks". Since they don't charge the credit card until they are ready to ship, I decided to put and order at the current price.

How good is Amazon at their shipping predictions?

Kind of all over the board for availability... although I've been the recipient of good news recently. For example I recently saw an item out-of-stock (no way to order), go from weeks, to months, then suddenly available all within 1-week. But then that was worded as Availability, not the Ship time like this is. So I'm also curious how they are for time to ship too.

Last edited:
The Asus 290X DC2 on Amazon went from "Temporarily Out of Stock" to "Ships within 3 to 4 weeks". Since they don't charge the credit card until they are ready to ship, I decided to put and order at the current price.

That isn't too bad considering the matrix plat went out of stock for 2 months before it came back.. Then disappeared within an hour in stock snd it's been oos for a month again already

I think Asus is having supply issues and personally, asus and gigabyte wouldn't be my choice for cards.

There's no way to predict it. I've ordered backordered items like that in the past with some shipping within a week, with others never shipping and being automatically cancelled.

It can't hurt to put an order in. I'm willing to bet it wouldn't take more than a couple of weeks. With Asus items, they generally put the SKU page up prior to getting any stock; so that USUALLY means that the wait shouldn't be that long. Depending on how many folks pre-ordered - that's a big variable given the mining craze, though.

I'll bite on the 290 Tri-X when it drops down to MSRP or less. Good match for another Opteron 6328 I'm putting together.

lolwut? I never said it was the 290x....read my post again. "290 Tri-x in stock".

Lol I think he's saying it's a terrible deal.

Newegg business is the best place to get a Tri-X, or Amazon. Newegg business has a $100 coupon off $1000 purchase or $150 off $1500 that they emailed me a week ago.

Because the tri-x is hard enough to find in stock ABOVE msrp....there might be some people watching this thread waiting for it to come up for sale anywhere at all.

Because the tri-x is hard enough to find in stock ABOVE msrp....there might be some people watching this thread waiting for it to come up for sale anywhere at all.

Good point. They are already out of stock at $590 plus $5 shipping. Apparently miners are still getting their money's worth (or think they will).

Tri-X 290 for $470.
http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop...110040015012_BTY0775P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

No stock though.
They have the 290x as well I think.

"This product is not in stock, and is not yet on order with the manufacturer but should be shortly, as it is ordered from the factory as needed. After you place your order, we will order this item from the manufacturer into our warehouse. We will ship the item to you when it arrives in our warehouse, usually within 15 business days from the date you ordered."

And the price of the Tri-X went UP another 20.00. SMDH
My god you're right, it's $599 now.
I guess because it's ridiculously popular and they don't get very large shipments. Man I wish I snatched one when they popped up at $449.

780 Ti has been on sale for $649, screw this noise.

My god you're right, it's $599 now.
I guess because it's ridiculously popular and they don't get very large shipments. Man I wish I snatched one when they popped up at $449.

780 Ti has been on sale for $649, screw this noise.

It seems the nightmare never ends. Been seriously looking at upgrading my SLI GTX570's to a R9 card, and they're either overpriced Reference, or Astronomically Overpriced Non Reference.

Reference prices are coming down, but they are still $US100 over RRP. Grrr.

It's interesting how Amazon does these preorders. They only leave up the ad until they get a number of preorders then they take it down.

I preordered two Sapphire Tri-x 290's, but then I canceled once I got mine from Newegg. I wish I'd kept those preorders. I preordered four of the ASUS 290s instead but they're far worse.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back