270x vs 280x LTC Value Question

oMek

Gawd
The price on 280x has gone up to around $400 USD (700kHash), would it be smarter to buying two 270x for $400 ($200x2)? They should provide 450-500kHash each.

1 x 280x = $400 (700kHash)
2 x 270x = $400 (1000kHash)

You are going to be using ~44% more power, 360w(180x2) vs 250w.
This is worth it since you are getting ~42% more khash 1000/700.

You are going to be using ~44% more power, 360w(180x2) vs 250w.
This is worth it since you are getting ~42% more khash 1000/700.
So when the rest of the mining community figures this out, does that mean the 270x's will sell out within 24 hours too? :cool:

First everyone wanted a 7950 but all of them sold out quickly. Next up was 280x. Now everyone figured out that 290 and 290x offer better hash rate for the money. I assume 270x will be next haha

Someone just paid $399 for my gigabyte card that I bought for $349 LONG time ago. I basically added some money on top of it and bought a 290. I still have another 7950 for sale. I have a feeling soon there will be many 7950s for sale.

The only drawback to 270x cards are the amount per motherboard you can fit for total hashing power per setup.

I'm looking at a 290x setup, but damn the power draw of 4x 290 +CPU&MB seems high.

The price on 280x has gone up to around $400 USD (700kHash), would it be smarter to buying two 270x for $400 ($200x2)? They should provide 450-500kHash each.

1 x 280x = $400 (700kHash)
2 x 270x = $400 (1000kHash)

x3 7870's = $477 (1300kh/s) 73c and 560w at the wall including mobo/cpu

Do 270xs really get 500kh/s? Looking at the equipment list the highest I see is 470, and the guy has a pretty high OC on his core, meaning it's going to draw a bit more power than 180w.

I'm interested in this a bit as I'm looking for a smaller/quiet-ish card that runs decently cool to slowly mine some litecoin in my server (a purely amateur hobbyist in the truest sense of the word). I bought a 7870XT and I'm considering returning it depending on what I can get out if it incase it's a powerhog/can't mine very well.

On my MSI 270X the most I could get was 425khs. Are most people getting around 500khs on this card?

I can get 425 KHs with my R9 270 Asus card, but when I pair it with another card in the system, even tho that card is not mining, I only get 300 KHs. I am getting 700 Khs with an R9 290. If I increase the thread concurrency to 30,000, I get closer to 800 KHs. I am running them off an X79 motherboard with 7 threads locked out meaning no hyperthreading and only one core active to save on total system wattage.

I'm getting a new power supply tomorrow, going to try to run the 290 with the 270 and see what's what.

From what i've seen, two R9 270s are better than one 290. If you can put together two small, cheapo rigs and run four of them with builder's grade power supplys, your investment might be cheaper, the cards will run cooler so they can run with a slight overclock, and be better than two 290s.

I'll say this as flame bait. Unless you're under water and overclocking, you're not doing better than 700 KHs with a 290 and have it run stable for an extended period of time. Those who claim otherwise... well I'll say I think there may have been exaggerations.

I think the R9 270s are the best kept secret for the casual miner. They run much cooler, are cheaper for two of them, and get about the same Khs / watt if not better.

I'll say this as flame bait. Unless you're under water and overclocking, you're not doing better than 700 KHs with a 290 and have it run stable for an extended period of time. Those who claim otherwise... well I'll say I think there may have been exaggerations.

I don't really believe that, atleast the underwater part. People OC their cores too much when LTC is all about memory bandwidth. I can get 726kh/s on a 7970 with a very mild core OC, a very mild undervolt, and ramping the memory up.

I don't really believe that, atleast the underwater part. People OC their cores too much when LTC is all about memory bandwidth. I can get 726kh/s on a 7970 with a very mild core OC, a very mild undervolt, and ramping the memory up.

https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison

This pretty much backs me up. Like I said, I can get more... stability over extended periods of time is the key. I'm in a very cold part of the country right now, in the mountains and not one heat source is on in the house and my 290 is on fire at my 700 Khs settings.

Looks like that NZXT asetek bracket in the other thread might be key to maximizing the potential of the 290s if you don't have a water loop. And they're sold out, even for pre-order. I could try to jury rig the Water 2.0 Pro I have I guess. :shrug:

Newegg had the sapphire ones a week or so ago for $145 before rebate...

Week ago != today. Today newegg increased them to $200 before MIR. Kind of funny because it still showed $170 when I viewed it on mobile, but when I actually clicked on it, it was $200.

I can get 425 KHs with my R9 270 Asus card, but when I pair it with another card in the system, even tho that card is not mining, I only get 300 KHs.

Do you know why the hashrate drops with two R9 270s in the system? I would hope they don't slow eachother down.

Do you know why the hashrate drops with two R9 270s in the system? I would hope they don't slow eachother down.

No I don't know. I was running it with an NV 660 as the main card. I'll find out tomorrow when my other power supply arrives. I'm going to attempt to run the 270 with the 290. I've been messing with settings and stuff. The 290 is just too hot to be effective. 662 on the core and running 94c 100 percent load. I need an asetek GPU bracket for the Water 2.0 Pro I have.

On the lighter side. I haven't needed to turn on my heat in the room I spend the most time in. Opportunity cost I guess.

So the guys showing screenshots of the ~880khash are exaggerating?

So the guys showing screenshots of the ~880khash are exaggerating?

They have water blocks are overclocked and probably running 290x not a straight 290. Show me a screenie of someone running a 290 without some kind of water doing over 800 and get back to me. I'm running stone cold stock.

And you don't know how long they are able to run that stable without a ton of rejects. You don't know if they are catching a spike with a screenshot. I've seen mine shoot up to 770 and such for like two seconds.

There could be all kind of things going on. People on the internet don't exactly tell the truth all the time.

Except for me.

They have water blocks are overclocked and probably running 290x not a straight 290. Show me a screenie of someone running a 290 without some kind of water doing over 800 and get back to me. I'm running stone cold stock.

And you don't know how long they are able to run that stable without a ton of rejects. You don't know if they are catching a spike with a screenshot. I've seen mine shoot up to 770 and such for like two seconds.

There could be all kind of things going on. People on the internet don't exactly tell the truth all the time.

Except for me.

GPU temp shows it isn't under water, it is a 290, you can see uptime...
Might want to optimize your system/settings.

Bullshit. I get 830 from my 290 @ stock speeds:)

Except for me.
Here is my 290 @ stock speeds and cooler. Going to replace TIM soon as I read it make a big difference.

litecoin%20290.JPG

I have an MSI R9 290 -I 20 --thread concurrency 27400, fan set to %85, no overclocking and I get a constant 825khs with 0 HW. I do agree that the 270 is a great value for mining. I just picked up an HIS 270 and with the core clock at 700mhz and memory at 1500 I get just over 400khs.

yeah alright I enabled all my cores, overclocked my rig, set my fan to "seattle seahawks" and I'm getting 800 khs.

Worth the extra watts for the extra cores, overclocking and higher fan profile? dunno. Kinda wishing I got 3 or 4 270s.

https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison

This pretty much backs me up. Like I said, I can get more... stability over extended periods of time is the key. I'm in a very cold part of the country right now, in the mountains and not one heat source is on in the house and my 290 is on fire at my 700 Khs settings.

Looks like that NZXT asetek bracket in the other thread might be key to maximizing the potential of the 290s if you don't have a water loop. And they're sold out, even for pre-order. I could try to jury rig the Water 2.0 Pro I have I guess. :shrug:

I've been researching mining rigs and many agree that table is not accurate.

yeah alright I enabled all my cores, overclocked my rig, set my fan to "seattle seahawks" and I'm getting 800 khs.

Worth the extra watts for the extra cores, overclocking and higher fan profile? dunno. Kinda wishing I got 3 or 4 270s.

I didn't think it was worth it to overclock in my case.

Sure I could get 700+ from my 7970, but I found that having my gpu and memory temperatures max out around 67C respectively and the card using 100+ watts less power, while not having the fans run at 100% was a better deal.

I actually ended up under-clocking the core and settled for 620KH/s.

The point is after all this is over you will have one powerful card(290) that is great for gaming instead of two shitty cards :)

I would go for the best card you. 2 months later u buy a second 280x and get more per mining rig

If the difficulty keeps going up he'd be better off getting as much hash power for the $ now
You have a point! It has shot up very high very quickly. I need an additional 290 just to get the same amount of LTC's in little under 2 weeks. Good thing I bought my 290's to play AC4 BF in full details @ 1440P

I picked up a Sapphire R9 280x Vapor-X. Disappointed with the hashrate so far. I'm getting around 500 kH/s. My GPU usage doesnt stay at a constant 100% when running cgminer. That may have something to do with my performance. Anyone know whats up with that? The core clock changes down to 550 MHz at the same time as the GPU usage changes.

aLlaY91.png

Last edited:
NoNRG try to decrease your clock to 1025-1040. Max the power limit too

spacin9 try 870/1250 clocks. R9 290(X) likes to work pretty much only in two combinations (the other is 1050/1500 or something like that), with slight core clock variations. If you are getting rejects mb drop your intensity to 19 - that's what I had to do on my GPU.

GPU is running at its powertune limit, I'm testing a 7870XT (7930 should be what it's called, or 7920 would be better) vs. a R9 270x and the 7870XT has that exact same issue at stock clocks. Turning up the powertune fixes it, or lowering the boost voltage (only way I've found to do that is to force constant voltage in afterburner for the 7870XT). I'm not sure about other cards, but I found that particular card's boost voltage to be ridiculously high. 1.25v at 975mhz for a tahiti card is pretty nuts.

Never seen the 270x do that at all, but it runs a lot cooler and a lot lower power, even OCed I don't need to turn up the powertune. It's an MSI card too so I can actually control the boost voltage in afterburner without forcing it 24/7 which is really nice.

Also, for that card, use benchmarking programs and such to get your memory as high as it can go; my 7870 can get up to 1825 or so memory in 3dmark11 and uniengine (though I'm not sure how safe it really is, playing WoW at the launch screen looks like my monitor is blowing up as it switches rapidly between clocks, so I usually run it a bit lower). Running that high of memory took me to ~730kh/s. I don't know if I'd let it run at that high of speed constantly mining, but maybe I'm just paranoid. Supposedly there's a gpu clock setting around 58% or so of your memory speed that is the sweet spot for some cards, and it was for mine.

I concur with what crun said and I also suggest updating your afterburner to the latest beta if you can't control your voltage with that version. Undervolting is almost necessary with mining, and for whatever reasons it stresses the GPU a lot less than actual 3d rendering.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. It turns out that my VRMs were running too hot. Cranked up the fan speed and that has helped, but im still looking for that sweet spot above 700 kh/s. :)

VRM1 is running 17 deg C hotter than VRM2 according to GPU-Z. I wonder if it needs a new application of thermal paste or something.

Hahaha.. yeah, we have to turn our fans way up. That's the only way, besides water cooling, to keep this thing cool.

I picked up a Sapphire R9 280x Vapor-X. Disappointed with the hashrate so far. I'm getting around 500 kH/s. My GPU usage doesnt stay at a constant 100% when running cgminer. That may have something to do with my performance. Anyone know whats up with that? The core clock changes down to 550 MHz at the same time as the GPU usage changes.

aLlaY91.png

Are you setting the GPU clock via .bat file feed into cgminer? I had this problem with my 290. If I feed the GPU engine clock cgminer will crash when exiting the program and I will the engine clock fluctuate.

try this in command prompt:

setx gpu_max_alloc_percent 100

Also... set clock down to somewhere around 1030..

Mine sit at around 700kh when at 1030.

11395174155_dab1c31663_b.jpg

I would also set the fan to a manual #... I noticed if I left mine on auto, as it changes, it causes the GPU utilization to flucuate... although not as much as yours is.

Last edited:
I wonder if you're having the same problem that I've been having lately. To preface this, I will say that my graphics card ran fine in my main rig (listed in sig), I managed to get up to around 485KH/s on a 270x @~130 watts power consumption from the card. This card was intended for my server, however (also listed in sig), and once placed there I had various issues with the supermicro board and its built in matrox graphics, but I won't bore you with those problems.

My 270x was throttling or something, it kept going from max gpu usage and would fluctuate down to 60% or so, randomly, every couple of seconds. It brought me down to about 400kh/s and even lower, sometimes the 360 range. Well, it had been working decently before I had started making further changes to the computer, so 2 bios flashes, 4-5 driver installs and sweeps, handfuls of bios changes, and countless restarts, I finally figured out what my issue was. Eliminating everything else I discovered this was the problem:

Any sort of monitoring software running while I mine will cause my graphics card to throttle back/lose gpu usage. This isn't just afterburner, it's gpu-z too, pretty much every monitoring program. In addition, the AMD driver can't even read the clocks the card is running on this computer for some obscure reason, and the overdrive settings aren't there.

Here's a link to what it looks like with my 270x with aida up next to it, it's been running for only a little while here:

FJW1dR5.jpg

Here is the same session running with afterburner open, look at that gpu usage, it's like a backwards sinus rhythm without the S. Note that there were some times where performance was even worse, it wouldn't even hit 99% usage sometimes.

EYmsicT.jpg

Was considering making my own post about this, I might still, plus my comparison between a 7970xt and a 270x since they're around the same price.

Last edited:
Back