27" iMac displayport Input

Ohhh, I didn't realize it was cards with the full size displayport plugs were the problem... I'll err on the side of caution and resist the urge to order that one.

I must admit, the Eyefinity 6 woud last me far longer, and is a screaming card..

Thank you very much for the heads up! best of luck with the card when it finally ships!

Ohhh, I didn't realize it was cards with the full size displayport plugs were the problem.

A full DP port could work ... it does on a 4890 but all the 5000 series we have seen so far haven't worked but for the top of the line 5900 series.
Since they fixed it in the new Eyefinity 6 5870 with miniDP it stands to reason that latest release Eyefinity 5 with miniDP will also have a DP to iMacDP fix. I am not 100% of course ( i never believe anything in this industry until I have my hot little hands on it and seen it work) but I would guestimate 98% probability. Tech companies know they have issues but live in DeNile river so they don't have to do a recall on earlier product ... just slip the bug fixes in the later hardware. This is why we have heard nothing from AMD/ATi regarding this imo.

Note that there are some older cards claiming to use Eyefinity technology with full size Dp ports like:
http://www.powercolor.com/au/products_features.asp?id=225#Specification

I doubt these will work with the iMac but I am happy to be proven wrong....

Last edited:
I'm running a Readeon HD4850 that does not have DP out, it has two DVI-D ports. PLEASE KEEP READING...

From the AMD site, I quote;
Two integrated dual-link DVI display outputs
Each supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI) or 2560x1600 (dual-link DVI)
o Each includes a dual-link HDCP encoder with on-chip key storage for high resolution playback of protected content
Two integrated 400 MHz 30-bit RAMDACs
Each supports analog displays connected by VGA at all resolutions up to 2048x1536
DisplayPort output support
24- and 30-bit displays at all resolutions up to 2560x1600
HDMI output support
All display resolutions up to 1920x1080
Integrated HD audio controller with support for stereo and multi-channel (up to 7.1) audio formats, including AC-3, AAC, DTS, DTS-HD & Dolby True-HD4, enabling a plug-and-play audio solution over HDMI
Here's the link as FYI:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4850/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4850-specifications.aspx

Now my Q:
Would seem apparent that a simple DVI-D to MiniDP cable would be all that is required to connect and display my PC on the iMac 27". My iMac shows up on Tueday June 2, so I'm going to invest in this $30 cable to find out, but am curious if anyone else has done this and the result.

I might add that I ordered my iMac 27" with the i7 which also includes the very same Radeon HD4850 video card as in my PC with the minor exception of the DP connector. I have to beleive from an engineering and manufacturing perspective, the card design would be identical and a simple change to the fab process for the DP connector is all that is changed.

Therefore, I conclude that this configuration has high probability of success. Has anyone attempted this configuration and had it fail? I'm not asking if you've attempted a configuration like this but using an HD5000 series, I know the result of that already, but done this with the HD4000 series or with this EXACT config? Especially using the DVI-D to mini-DP cable....

Thanks in advance VERY much for the responses...

>SCUBA

Would seem apparent that a simple DVI-D to MiniDP cable would be all that is required to connect and display my PC on the iMac 27". My iMac shows up on Tueday June 2, so I'm going to invest in this $30 cable to find out, but am curious if anyone else has done this and the result.

This will fail. The cable is MiniDP --> DVI only. It is unidirectional. It will not convert DVI --> MiniDP. It is only for machines that output MiniDP that want to drive a DVI display. You need a powered active converter to go DVI --> MiniDP, like the Atlona box.

This will fail. The cable is MiniDP --> DVI only. It is unidirectional. It will not convert DVI --> MiniDP. It is only for machines that output MiniDP that want to drive a DVI display. You need a powered active converter to go DVI --> MiniDP, like the Atlona box.

Thanks for the quick reposnse. I'm assuming you've actually tried this configuration so know it will fail. The cable design is actually meant to drive a miniDP display.

The cable is less than five inches long and has FEMALE DVI plug with a pig tail miniDP plug on the end. It looks like its intended to go on the end of the display cable that connects to a DVI monitor. I checked the apple store today and noticed it is not DVI-D and therefore will not give full resolution. However, Apple sells a powered Dual-Link DVI to Mini DP (powered through USB). Perhaps I over simplified when I said simply a DVI-D to MiniDP is all that is required. The powered cable is $99. I'm also assuming that when I read the specs from AMD's site, as I quoted, the DVI-D port on the card edge is putting out a genuine DP signal.

All speculation until Tuesday I suppose...

Apple does not sell ANY cable that will convert DVI to MiniDP. Apple ONLY sells cables that convert MiniDP to DVI. The cables are unidirectional and will not allow you to drive a MiniDP display from a DVI source. I'm sure this is explained multiple times in this thread.

You need something like this http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html or this http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Dual-Link-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-USB-Powered-p-17922.html to go from a DVI source to MiniDP display. I'm using one right now to drive my 24" LED ACD from a DVI source.

You seem dead set on trying out your plan, despite the fact that it will clearly fail, so please remember to keep your receipt. :D

Bought the cable, kept the receipt. Opened the box, and fully agree. This is to go FROM a mDP to DVI and not the other way around. Following the lead of those travelling this path before, will search for a new 4850 with the DP or mDP pinout... Seems to be very scarce at this point and with only a 480w power supply, I'm not likely able to jump to the 5000 series ( not to mention that it doesn't work to begin with :grin), requires dual 75W pwr connects.

If anyone finds an HD4850 with DP or mDP, please let me know...

Thanks!

Bought the cable, kept the receipt. Opened the box, and fully agree. This is to go FROM a mDP to DVI and not the other way around. Following the lead of those travelling this path before, will search for a new 4850 with the DP or mDP pinout... Seems to be very scarce at this point and with only a 480w power supply, I'm not likely able to jump to the 5000 series ( not to mention that it doesn't work to begin with :grin), requires dual 75W pwr connects.

If anyone finds an HD4850 with DP or mDP, please let me know...

Thanks!

There are/were some 4890s that have DP outputs. I'm running one from Sapphire, but I believe they aren't being sold anymore, though you can try eBay / FST here. I mention this because you can run 4890s off a 480w PSU.

Hi,

I just wanted to share with you all that I recently purchased a Club 3D ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 card and it works well so far with my iMac 27".

I've got my Windows 7 PC connected to both my iMac 27" and also a Dell 2709w via mini-to-Displayport cable.

Many thanks for this thread and forum that helped me find a working solution before buying the iMac.

http://www.club3d.nl/products/products_ending_page_7_with_id.cfm?product_id=296

Hi,

I just wanted to share with you all that I recently purchased a Club 3D ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 card and it works well so far with my iMac 27".

I've got my Windows 7 PC connected to both my iMac 27" and also a Dell 2709w via mini-to-Displayport cable.

Many thanks for this thread and forum that helped me find a working solution before buying the iMac.

http://www.club3d.nl/products/products_ending_page_7_with_id.cfm?product_id=296

Native resolution?

Also, what's your gaming performance?

Thanks for the update, BTW!

Native resolution?

Also, what's your gaming performance?

Thanks for the update, BTW!

Yes, under Windows 7, the iMac display is running at 2560x1440 and the Dell at 1920x1200. I can't really comment on performance. I have my setup to run 5x World of Warcraft in parallel and that works very well but the game has dated graphics as everyone knows.

iMac display performance compared to my old Dell is superb. The glare of the display makes gaming in a room with some daylight annoying and the heat of a running iMac is scary. Would have been nice if the display could run without the other hardware components active.

For me, it's a great piece of hardware giving me a very nice (but expensive) 27" display for my Windows 7 gaming PC as well as a Mac "for free".

It's too bad this didn't work out better for more ATI cards, and also that it didn't work out at all for nVidia users. I'm glad I didn't get one, as I have an nVidia card I have no intention of replacing anytime soon. I'll be keeping my eye on the new 30" HP display they just came out with. 110% of the Adobe RGB 1998 color gamut .. !! ??? WHAT THE ... ?!?! And priced quite nicely for such a display. It's also simple, and no frills whatsoever.

I want to thank all you guys for trying though, and all the testing and posting you did to benefit others for this thread. Kudos!!

Hi there friends!
This was the best Forum i ve seen for this subject. I want to say a big thanks to all of you for your effort to the subject! :)
I just bought one Ati HIS 5870 and unfortunately it doesnt work with my imac 27''... Do you know why?? I read here that this model should work just fine with the imac... Did I do something wrong??
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Only the new "Eyefinity 6" 5870 cards with mini-displayports seem to work - at least mine works. The older 5870 cards don't appear to work based on numerous posts in this thread.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...-5870-eyefinity-6-edition/Pages/overview.aspx

Hi there friends!
I just bought one Ati HIS 5870 and unfortunately it doesnt work with my imac 27''... Do you know why?? I read here that this model should work just fine with the imac... Did I do something wrong??
Thanks in advance!

Did you manage to get sound through DP? I havent yet :-(

I have, although I don't use it. My HD5970 can output stereo sound over displayport to the iMac. There isn't any lag from what I can tell although it takes a good 3-4 seconds for the sound to kick in.

Does anyone ever try the Gainward GeForce GTX 470 GOOD Edition which offer a displayport?

But Gainward says this about the "QuattroPorts" on its GTX 470 GOOD Edition:

the card is geared with “QuattroPorts” integrated 4 ports in 1 including DisplayPort, HDMI 1.3a (upgradeable to HDMI 1.4 support for 3D format with upcoming NVIDIA 3DTV Play) & Dual DVIs, fulfill universal connectivity for diverse displays.

http://www.gainward.com/main/edm/GTX470/gw_edm_20100428.html

The link shows a picture of the back of the card with four ports, one of which I presume is Displayport.

If so, this is perhaps the only non-workstation Nvidia card with Displayport, aside from some rare 9400GT or 9500GT cards. Someone managed to find and test a 9500GT with the 27" iMac and it didn't work.

I would assume this card doesn't support 27" iMac unless proven otherwise.

Edit: cleaned up a poor choice of words about which card got tested with the iMac

Last edited:
But Gainward says this about the "QuattroPorts" on its GTX 470 GOOD Edition:

http://www.gainward.com/main/edm/GTX470/gw_edm_20100428.html

The link shows a picture of the back of the card with four ports, one of which I presume is Displayport.

If so, this is perhaps the only Nvidia card with Displayport, aside from some rare 9500GT or 9600GT cards. Someone managed to find and test one of those cards with the 27" iMac and it didn't work.

I would assume this card doesn't support 27" iMac unless proven otherwise.

Do you have the reference URL about testing the Gainward GTX 470 Good edition on imac 27? I know another brand which offer displayport on Nvidia card is Palit GTX 470 and GTX 465

http://www.palit.biz/enews/event/worldwide/event_20100428/event_20100429.php

Do you have the reference URL about testing the Gainward GTX 470 Good edition on imac 27? I know another brand which offer displayport on Nvidia card is Palit GTX 470 and GTX 465

I worded that badly. I meant the 9500GT was tested with the 27" iMac and it didn't work.

Palit left the North American market in early 2009.

I worded that badly. I meant the 9500GT was tested with the 27" iMac and it didn't work.

Palit left the North American market in early 2009.

According to this thread (sorry, Chinese forum)

http://5i01.com/topicdetail.php?f=480&t=1328383&p=1

A Guy was able to use a Nvidia FX580 (with displayport) on a Mac 24 LED monitor. I would assume it should work on imac 27" as well. That's why I have a feeling that Nvidia GTX 470/465 comes with a displayport might work on imac 27.........

If GTX 470 does work...that is a way cheaper solution than buying a HD5970 or Eyefinity 6 while having the performance of a HD 5850........

If GTX 470 does work...that is a way cheaper solution than buying a HD5970 or Eyefinity 6 while having the performance of a HD 5850........

If you want a cheap card you can always buy 5770 Eyefinity 5 and like Eyefinity 6 will support the apple cinema display and Imac.
Sure GTX 470 is stronger but you dont know if display port will work!

If you want a cheap card you can always buy 5770 Eyefinity 5 and like Eyefinity 6 will support the apple cinema display and Imac.
Sure GTX 470 is stronger but you dont know if display port will work!

If they sold a displayport version at best buy, one could always get one for testing, then return it if it didn't work. I have my doubts, but it would be nice.

Doesn't really matter. My next card is probably going to be ATI anyways, and it's not going to be for a long while, unfortunately .... :(

Is it 100% confirmed that the 5770 eyefinity 5 works? Validation would be awesome as this is the route I'll take if it works.

I have a Palit GTX 470 with DisplayPort input in the mail. I'll let you guys know if it gets along with my 24" LED Cinema Display.

Cross your fingers for me...

HD5770 eyefinity5 works with cinema display I have both and works great, I am sure if works with cinema display will work with Imac too!

I wouldn't mind abandoning ATI/AMD and going back to nVidia. I'm really not happy with ATI & Catalyst. It works, it's fast .. but it doesn't feel right to me.

Back