27" 1080p

Insomniator

Limp Gawd
Sorry if this thread is done to death --

Friend built a new computer with an RX580 8GB. He is getting a 27" 1080p 144hz VA panel Freesync monitor as a gift, the 24" sold out.

So I know an RX580 isn't ideal for 1440p anyway, but I've read 27" 1080 can look terrible or absolutely fine. He's coming from a cheap 7 year old 24" 1080p TN panel so I wonder if the better VA panel and refresh rate will make up for the lack of PPI in comparison.

Any predictions? Is this thing going to be returned? I'm very interested to see how it looks compared to my QNIX 27" 1440p.

I don't think you'll have a big problem. I'm on a 1080p 27" TN 144Hz panel right now, and I don't feel like I have to run out and buy something else right away.

It all depends on eyesight and it can can vary wildly between individuals.

If you can already see pixels to the point you can clearly see screen door effect (gaps between pixels - caused by sub-pixel structure) from normal viewing distances on 24" 1080p then I would think twice about getting 27" 1080p because it will be even more visible, maybe even to the point of being very distracting for you. If however you struggle to read small text and can not really discern how pixels look let alone sub-pixels then larger screen with the same resolution might be a blessing.

1440p on 27" have higher PPI and for many people it is too much to comfortably use without scaling. Most people actually have poor eyesight you know and while even without great vision you will be able to see improvement with 1440p it might not be really worth it.

As for panel type choice is only one: IPS
VA tech just sucks as it have not one but two disquallifying flaws:
- gamma shift
- very slow response times
Most VA panels have some transition times in range >30ms which more than two frames at 60Hz. Most color transition happen but not quite as it should resulting in dark streaks. Overdrive technology on VA also tend to produce very annoying artifacts on skin tones on videos on VA panels (every monitor I saw had this flaw to some degree) making me need to disable it making response times absolutely horrendous. On IPS overdrive seems fine even at "extreme" setting with much higher artifact rating in measurement, videos seems all just fine.
Gamma shift make you have advertised contrast and measured colors in one spot per one eye. It makes you see details in dark which you are not supposed making you think you have what is called "black crush" which is not dark tones being crushed in center but being way to much visible at edges making you think they are crushed.
I will take lower (but still sufficient) contrast ratio of IPS display any day and even night.

Of course it depend on which flaws you are more susceptible to that defines what is better display for YOU and some people are really bothered by IPS glow. I personally find t easy to ignore, effortless, while I could not get used to these two VA flaws.

Prices are similar and there are 1080p IPS monitors. This is what I can recommend. VA never

It all depends on eyesight and it can can vary wildly between individuals.

For some stupid reason I though this 1080p is not enough for 27" hyperbole had to do exclusively with VAs (I thought maybe they have some inherent pixel structure that cause this screen door effect) since I was perfectly fine with the PPI of my 1080p IPS at 27".
The problem is that I absolutely hated my IPS (glow, bleeding, horrid blacks etc) and my question is has anyone actually tried a recent VA for gaming ?

I mean recent like the Iiyama g-master-gb2730hsu-b3 or the benq ew277hdr, both of which promise a 4ms response time.

My personal opinion:

24" 1080p
27-30" 2560x1440/1600
32+ 4k or Ultrawide 1440p

I disagree about the scaling on 1440p 27" requirement. I've run a 27" 1440p monitor since 2010, I find the pixel density to be perfect and have never had to up the scaling from 100% - though as you mentioned it's dependant on the user and their own eyesight + distance from the display. I can never go back to 1080p for my own personal use. Netx stop is a high refresh rate 1440p 27" for me as my current is 60hz, just can't justify the price currently! 4k is absolutely unreadable at 100% though at 27".

I just want to chime in here since everyone seems to have razor eyesight. My eyes aren't horrible but I do wear glasses.

Even with glasses I find text on a 24" 1080p display to be too small (at 100% scale). Text on a 27" 1080p display is perfectly fine (again at 100% scale). I can almost guarantee that If I was looking at a 27" 1440p display that the text would be way too small for me (again at 100% scale). I'm guessing that for someone like me, with less than razor eyesight, that 1440p text (at 100% scale) would require a 32" 1440p display.

So be very careful about this stuff, especially when buying for someone else. Better to err on the side of caution and get the 27" 1080p display than the 27" 1440p display. That's my 2 cents worth.

27" 1080p will be fine. Especially if your friend is on 1080p now, it should not be a huge issue.

I'm on a 34" 2560x1080 display, so it's about the same PPI as a 27" 1080p, just wider. Games look "HD", though there can be times it will be slightly soft or pixelated. With good AA, it still looks nice.

My eyesight is not great (even with glasses), and I have Windows scaling at 125% so I can read things clearly. If your friend has good eyes, 100% will probably be alright.

With an RX 580 you are probably better at 1080p. The 580 can do 1440p, but likely not for high refresh. At 1080p, you should be more comfortable at above 60 fps framerates.

For some stupid reason I though this 1080p is not enough for 27" hyperbole had to do exclusively with VAs (I thought maybe they have some inherent pixel structure that cause this screen door effect) since I was perfectly fine with the PPI of my 1080p IPS at 27".
The problem is that I absolutely hated my IPS (glow, bleeding, horrid blacks etc) and my question is has anyone actually tried a recent VA for gaming ?

I mean recent like the Iiyama g-master-gb2730hsu-b3 or the benq ew277hdr, both of which promise a 4ms response time.
Some VA panel in the past - Samsung S-PVA - had worse sub-pixel structure. Not sure about Auo offerings now. Those which I tested were fine but that was some years ago.

Imho black are more 'horrid' on VA because of gamma shift making gamma screwed up badly pretty much everywhere on the screen

Well i had 2 IPS Monitors and this IPS glow is no fun in a dimmed light room with dark content and for some reasons the displays looked all dusty not sure if it is because of the AG-Coating or the 1000:1 contrast. A good VA is not perfect but it was less annoying for me than a IPS.
I think a good buy would be the C27FG73 (VA/QLED/1080p) or the C27FG70 (VA/QLED/1440p), but you could always buy a IPS and a VA at amazon and send the one back that you don't like.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with 2 Samsung VA TVs. Only issue I see is the trailing, but otherwise the colors and everything look nice.

Currently gaming on an LG IPS and it looks great. No dead pixels, and I don't even know what IPS glow is, and I don't want to investigate further, I'm happy with the picture quality.

The BenQ EW277HDR seems like a great 27" 1080p monitor. It features a 60Hz 27” AMVA (Advanced Multi-Domain Vertical Alignment) panel from AU Optronics. It is 93% DCI-P3, 100% Rec.709, 100% sRGB.

Here's a very in-depth YouTube Review:​

If they made a 32" version of this monitor I would be very tempted to buy it. Alas the 27" 1080p version is the only version.

If you want 27" 1080p IPS then I would get the Dell S2719H which is 100% sRGB. The same YouTube site above reviewed the 24" version and scored it very well. They said the performance of the 27" version should be the same.

I love my 27" 1080p monitor (this one https://www.google.com/search?q=acer+z271&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab there exists a Freesync version as well that's like half the price). I do have poor eyesight (and glasses) but I'm really close to the screen so I'm positive the vast majority of people will have zero issue with the pixel size unless they tell themselves they do.

Text is more than fine & games and movies are amazing on it. I'm attached for 1080p because I love high framerates and also still play some older games that don't have proper UI scaling. And when I have a lot of spare performance I can just do 200% upsampling (aka 4k) and it looks amazing with no blur. That was a lot harder on the 1440p monitor I had previously :p (it was 27" too so I was able to actually compare them side by side)
It matters to me quite a bit because of how many games have limited/bad AA options.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm on 1080p ultrawide and it still looks great. For older games I run DSR 5K2K and it adds a lot to the picture quality.

I tried the Samsung C27FG70 at one point, but ended up returning it. I was very pleased with the performance of the panel . Obviously it won't have the fastest response times or the most vivid colors, compared to TN and IPS, but it is fast enough and with good enough image quality that it ticks a lot of boxes for in the great compromise of buying a monitor (no end-all panel or monitor exists, not even the new 2000$ FALD backlit ones).

It wasn't the best looking VA panel I've seen, but given the notably faster dark transition response times and high refresh rate, it was really good. Samsung do include a quantom dot backlight making certain colors more vivid (not completely accurate, but pleasant and way better than "digital vibrance" software settings), as well as a great SRGB emulation mode and factory color calibration.
The gamma shift was in the better end of VAs. Maybe the curve helps in that regard.

The reasons I returned are the fact that I'm used to higher PPI, and that these specific panels have a weird subpixel layout that seems to leave like a gap between the horizontal rows of pixels.
Maybe I would have been able to adjust to the low PPI of 27" 1080p alone (being used to smaller 1080p displays, and 1440p monitors including the Qnix), but the weird gaps made me send it back. It's not that pronounced, and a lot of people probably won't mind, but too often for me it was another layer you have to have your brain ignore, like your screen being smothered in fingerprints or a grainy matte coating. In some games I didn't even notice it, but in others it almost seemed like the monitor had scanlines.

Personally I would go with the 27" 1440p version, and I have an RX580 as well. I'm guessing the gaps won't be noticeable in those.

my vision isn't the best and I run 24" 1440P

I've gotten used to it and now I prefer it.

I have a 27" 1080P on top and even with my eyes, it's pretty coarse.

I have a 35 inch ultrawide 1080p which is basically the same as a 27" 16x9 1080p. I also have a 27" 1440p.

27" 1080p is fine imo, some say it looks horrible and the ppi is crap, I don't agree.

I have a 35 inch ultrawide 1080p which is basically the same as a 27" 16x9 1080p. I also have a 27" 1440p.

27" 1080p is fine imo, some say it looks horrible and the ppi is crap, I don't agree.

Absolutely. I find text actually looks more readable to me on 1080p 34" UW at 125%. But my eyes are probably bad.

Have used both. Actually upgraded from a 27" 1080p to a 27" 1440p.

It's my opinion that the 1440p looks better at that size, but that's not at all to say that the 1080p looked bad. Especially since 144hz VRR is on the table, I think the 1080p may be a better fit here: the lower resolution will really let the GPU drive that monitor into the higher FPS levels it was made for.

Back