2560x1440p @120hz is mindblowing

l88bastard

2[H]4U
I got my overclockable Catleap in today and gave it a go on some of my favorite games. Oh Mah Gawwwd, it freaking KICKS ASS! I was rocking a 1440p Shimian @67hz before I got this catleap and the 120hz is a whole new world of smooooooooothnesssss.

I also really enjoyed my old Samsung S27a750 1080p 120hz displays (especially in eyefinity) but rocking 1440p at this refresh rate is an entirely different ball game.

This catleap just officially retired my Sony FW900...for single screen gaming there is nothing finer than a 1440p catleap overclocked to 120+hz....WOW.

Very glad to hear that as I'm waiting for my own 1440@120Hz and currently on Eyefinity@120... so my hope was to ditch the Cross-finity driver issues I've been plagued with and enjoy a single glorious screen with great refresh.

Glad you're enjoying it. If you have further thoughts as you go, please share!

120 Hz 1440P is for noob's. Real men run 130+ Hz 1440P. :D

premium

I got my overclockable Catleap in today and gave it a go on some of my favorite games. Oh Mah Gawwwd, it freaking KICKS ASS! I was rocking a 1440p Shimian @67hz before I got this catleap and the 120hz is a whole new world of smooooooooothnesssss.

I also really enjoyed my old Samsung S27a750 1080p 120hz displays (especially in eyefinity) but rocking 1440p at this refresh rate is an entirely different ball game.

This catleap just officially retired my Sony FW900...for single screen gaming there is nothing finer than a 1440p catleap overclocked to 120+hz....WOW.

is this the 120hz.net monitor? How much does it cost.

Where did you purchase one of these? I read that not all Catleap screens can do 120hz and I can't purchase from 120hz.net since I don't live in the states

i second: WHERE to find OC 1440p. last time i checked overlordcomputer and 120hz.net where on pre-order, and the new "125hz Oc" catleap has an scaler that ruins input lag.

I purchased my 120hz Catleap on ebay, payed a PREMIUM price for it too, but it was well worth it as games are smooth as glass with ZERO screen tearing. The problem with 60hz panels is that I always had screen tearing unless vsync was enabled, but vsync tends to add annoying input lag. With 120hz there is ZERO screen tearing and everything is smooth as a buttercup.

At this point I would recommend Overlord Computer if anybody is looking to pickup a 120hz 1440p panel anytime soon. They are taking pre-orders still and I think 120hz.net will be taking pre-orders again.

No, i got the 120hz catleap from some random ebay soldier of fortune price gougher. I got my 67hz shimian from green-sum though.

so any word on how much it end up costing usually, i'm considering one myself.

1k? or 600? btw the next batch catleap 2b is coming out. Hypermatrix just confirmed that few days ago.

Well.. I hope you did not pay 1k for this shit :D

I don't own a catleap.. but I have a samsung 120hz monitor. There is no going back to 60hz

My current 27" 1080p Philips AMVA runs at 75hz and the difference between 60hz and 75hz is drastical. 120hz on a 2560x1440 should be even more noticable. I hope this will become a standard in the near future and good quality panels will be made by the big companies.

wow u guys must have strong GPUs to run 1440 at 120 hz. Are there good games that you achieve 120 fps or above at that resolution? You'll need 3-way SLI for this. Not crysis 2, metro 2033, not the upcoming metro last light, crysis 3, etc.

Money blowing as well. In order to hit 120hz on 1440p, how much do you need to spend on the parts?

Money blowing as well. In order to hit 120hz on 1440p, how much do you need to spend on the parts?

I think maximum amount of money -))
I have one 680gtx 4gb and crysis 2 stutters like hell on the 2560x1440 @ 60hz resolution. To make use of 120hz i guees we are looking at at least two 4gb 680s. Since 2 gb won't cut it - you will obviousely hit the vram limit with 2gbs... And the longevity - that's another question. If you have a lot of money - you shouldn't care about it. If it breaks within a year or two you will just get another one. But if you're on budget - that's a tough call, if you ask me.

120hz 1440p and IPS... my dream!

Yeah, official and of good quality. Hey - why not make a premium line of monitors with those specs and price them twice as much as usual models, plus increased quality control, good housing (no blb) etc?... (hint, hint)

Im running two 680gtx 4gb Classifieds in SLI overclocked to 1400mhz with the Evbot and everything flies @ 120hz+ with 1440p.

You don't need to run a 120hz monitor at 120fps+ to get some benefit and extra smoothness feeling. It will update the screen 120 times a second regardless, some will just be duplicate frames. I do prefer shooting for 90 fps though if I can manage it, and of course the closer to maintaining 120fps you get, the more recent the scene action will be in each screen update during dynamic scenes,action,movement.
I don't have a 120hz 2560x1440 ips, but personally I would prefer the very low response time 120hz TN with aggressive response time compensation that I have. The ips have higher rez, ppi, and better color uniformity and will experience a smoother feel, but with their 7ms to 10ms+ response times I can't imagine that they reduce blur/smear and make RTC artifacts disappear faster as much as a very low response time + 120hz input TN with aggressive RTC enabled would. You can throw as many screen updates per second to a screen that you want, but the pixels won't transition fast enough and will smear. I do own a 60hz 2560x1440 ips with a 10ms+ response time and it smears badly during FoV movement. I love it for desktop stuff though, and think it is "mind blowing" / gorgeous for that usage.
I use the 60hz 2560x1440 ips for desktop apps, and a 120hz very low response time + aggr RTC 1080p TN at the same desk dedicated to gaming. 1080p and its ppi is adequate for gaming and not that much of tradeoff in gaming alone for the appreciable blur reduction. It is also less demanding to render than 2560x1440 of course. In my experience, it seems like the very low response time + aggr RTC 120hz input TN produces more of a soften blur effect during FoV movement, blurring within the shadow mask of onscreen objects (including the architecture/landscape) so to speak. It also seems to snap back to solid sooner during slowdowns and stops of some FoV movement arcs. The "soften blur" still blurs out all texture detail including depth via bump mapping, and all moving text/nameplates, etc so it is still annoying but appreciably better than any other LCD I've used. Everything else smears the entire scene outside of the lines during FoV movement.
So, 120hz should always feel smoother at a decent fps since it updates the screen more often than a 60hz, but smoother feeling motion is not the same thing as blur reduction. They are different aspects/benefits. As always there are tradeoffs to choose from with monitors, and it comes down to your own taste and what you use them for most usually.

Last edited:
120hz 1600p and IPS ..... my dream

I already weighed in about ips response times and blurring, but now want to add my 2cents about 1440h vs 1600h on a 120hz panel since it was brought up. 120hz is more of a benefit for gaming, so personally I don't think 1440 x 1600 is an issue, especially since most games use HOR+ which acts like a virtual lens - meaning a wider aspect ratio will always show more of the scene. In fact, on a 16:10 I feel you are better off running in 16:9 mode with slim bars on the top and bottom.

eyefinity aspects visualized (shows 16:10 vs 16:9 at the top, and how HOR+ progresses through different aspect ratios)

16:10 vs 16:9 vs 4:3 showing scene cut-offs. (Wider aspect ratio always shows more of a scene, like a virtual lens... aka virtual cinematography).

wiki FoV in games

Five common film aspect ratios

.I also think some people may have a mistaken perception of the actual pixel/screen real estate difference between a 1440 and a 1600 since the 30" x1600 monitor's pixels are so much larger.
Note that while a 30" 2560x has +80px top and +80 px bottom vs the 27" -- the 30" does not have any more pixels across the width than the 27" , its pixels are just that much larger.

The 80px top and bottom size 'gap' would be much smaller size-wise at the same pixel sizes --> .75 inches top and .75 inches bottom (3/4inch top and bottom) 1.49" total to be exact if both were 108.8ppi.

Another way to look at it on more equal terms is that if you moved the 30" panel back enough until its width (and ppi) looked equal to the 27" to your viewing perspective, there would be .75" peeking out top and bottom (about the diameter of a dime coin) in relation to the 27" screen, 80px tall each.

A 27" 2560x1440 panel sized up to 30" 2560x1600 sized ppi would be 29.19" diagonal.
A 30" 2560x1600 panel sized down to 27" 2560x1440 sized ppi would be 27.75" diagonal.
27" 1440p = 108.8 ppi 0.2335 mm
30" 1600p = 100.6 ppi 0.2524 mm

Last edited:
<lotsoftext>

Elvn, what exactly are you trying to explain here? Because I see you always post something along these lines when comparing 27" 2560x1440 vs 30" 2560x1600, and I never get what point you're trying to get across.

There is actually a chart out there that measures the rise and fall times of many different panels out there including the one used in the Catleap. Surprisingly, the Catleap monitor for an IPS panel is very fast and actually beat some TN panels in pixel speed. It's a good chart but for the life of me I cannot find the link. The monitor uses some sort of overdrive/acceleration by default, as it's the same panel as the Apple Cinema Display yet it's motion blur is but a small fraction of the Apple's. The blur on my Catleap at 132 Hz is only slightly worse than the blur on my 150 Hz Asus TN. Well worth the trade-off as the Catleap is better in every other single aspect.

Elvn, what exactly are you trying to explain here? Because I see you always post something along these lines when comparing 27" 2560x1440 vs 30" 2560x1600, and I never get what point you're trying to get across.
I feel some people think 30" x1600 displays have a much larger screen real-estate difference than it actually is since the pixel sizes on the 30" are so much larger that the screen itself is a lot bigger. The monitor size difference is not proportionate to the pixel count and screen real-estate difference. I post those comparisons in an attempt to show the differences in an apples to apples way , at the same pixel sizes.
I also go further to show that games use virtual lenses/virtual cinematography, where a wider aspect ratio will always show more scene. So imo even with a 16:10 you are better off running 16:9 mode with slim bars for games. Since 120hz is much more of a benefit for gaming, not having a x 1600h / 16:10 monitor for gaming seems like a non-issue to me in regard to games.

There is actually a chart out there that measures the rise and fall times of many different panels out there including the one used in the Catleap. Surprisingly, the Catleap monitor for an IPS panel is very fast and actually beat some TN panels in pixel speed. It's a good chart but for the life of me I cannot find the link. The monitor uses some sort of overdrive/acceleration by default, as it's the same panel as the Apple Cinema Display yet it's motion blur is but a small fraction of the Apple's. The blur on my Catleap at 132 Hz is only slightly worse than the blur on my 150 Hz Asus TN. Well worth the trade-off as the Catleap is better in every other single aspect.
Of course you also have massive gpu hardware so your fps doesn't factor in as much as it would most at 1080p vs 1440p. That could be single aspect trade-off for some people ;)
It would be interesting to see the response time comparisons and RTC error reduction times ~ % differences. The blur testing would prob be impossible to show as it would appear to your eyeballs/brain. Probably have to own both monitors and give a subjective opinion as you have. Its not worth it to me to pay the current premium for the 120hz ips models since I'm already happy with my dual setup, so I will have to rely on reviews and second hand opinions.

Damn. Congratulations. I've had my lg 23" 120hz 1080p monitor for a while and it still blows me away. Your monitor sounds amazing. I think apple made a mistake going for higher res before refresh rate, but you've got the best of both worlds. Very awesome.

You mean this image: http://down.playwares.com/xe/files/attach/images/53/880/046/fdac7f4b97dbe8c01002fb0bd7a3e0b8.jpg?. I agree with elvn here. 120Hz TN panels are still a lot faster, especially looking at the grey to grey responses which have been measured at under 3ms typically. Not everyone will care for this difference but others will.

You mean this image: http://down.playwares.com/xe/files/attach/images/53/880/046/fdac7f4b97dbe8c01002fb0bd7a3e0b8.jpg?. I agree with elvn here. 120Hz TN panels are still a lot faster, especially looking at the grey to grey responses which have been measured at under 3ms typically. Not everyone will care for this difference but others will.

I have a Sony FW900 and I just sent an Asus 27"HE144hz back to Amazon because I was unsatisfied. Those two displays are the Kings of response times and my catleap 2b holds its own against them. There is no perfect display, but the Catleap 2b comes pretty damn close.

The nicest way I can put it is like this. If you have not tried a Catleap 2B at 120+hz then you have no idea what your are talking about in terms of how real world gaming looks on it. The display OWNS.

I have a Sony FW900 and I just sent an Asus 27"HE144hz back to Amazon because I was unsatisfied. Those two displays are the Kings of response times and my catleap 2b holds its own against them. There is no perfect display, but the Catleap 2b comes pretty damn close.

The nicest way I can put it is like this. If you have not tried a Catleap 2B at 120+hz then you have no idea what your are talking about in terms of how real world gaming looks on it. The display OWNS.

This post about Carleap 2b is very inspiring. Is this Catleap 2B a wide gamut monitor? Does it have RGB gains control.... How's the contrast?
I feel like a sucker for not having it.

Its really unfortunate there were so few Catleaps were made capable of 120hz :( I think ill settle for a benq 120 hz TN monitor and wait for a brand 120hz IPS monitor to show up

This is still just your opinion though. I know people who have used 120Hz+ Catleaps and don't draw such a positive comparison. I am not doubting it's a great and responsive monitor but it isn't as responsive as a 120Hz TN panel and those who are sensitive to that will notice. They might not care mind and I am certainly not of the opinion that the difference would be huge at all.

This post about Carleap 2b is very inspiring. Is this Catleap 2B a wide gamut monitor? Does it have RGB gains control.... How's the contrast?
I feel like a sucker for not having it.
Not wide gamut but it's 8-bit and good out of the box colors on rev2B and rev2C. The posted contrast is fairly accurate (1000:1) with decent blacks for an IPS panel. There have been nearly no complaints about uneven backlighting.

It has no onboard menu, only backlight control, everything else would be adjusted in the video card. <-- But because of all of this, the monitor has less input lag.

Back