24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

My FW900 is starting to die. :(

It cannot sustain the brightness levels it used to be capable off (too much power draw), so the voltage regulators kick in and and shut off the display when there's too much white on the screen. Had to turn down the overall brightness.

Thanks man, im loving it so far. I have a ton of 16:10 resolutions set-up now with awesome refresh rates. I've been playing COD4 at 1440x900 120hz refresh all night :D

This thing lives up to the hype!

Fantastic monitor, but it's not precisely a 16:10 display. Might want to make some custom resolutions...

If I recall, 1600 by 1024 is about perfect...

Fantastic monitor, but it's not precisely a 16:10 display. Might want to make some custom resolutions...

If I recall, 1600 by 1024 is about perfect...

Uhhh, that's a nice resolution for late at night when I'm leaning back. It also allows a 100Hz refresh rate. What ratio is that even?

Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll go through and tweak my resolutions to make them perfect.

1920x1200 IS perfect. On the most technical level, its dot pitch skews a few pixels (pretty difficult to pick out), but this was still the resolution meant to be. Consider that a 1080p movie wouldn't be proper HD in 1600x1024 and go from there. You have a high definition monitor, you should probably view it as such.

wow, cool thread. And now I can join you because I got this tube on a ebay auction for 155€ :cool:
I fetchted it by car and first I thought it got damaged while transport because everthing was greenish. But I fixed that by tuning R,G,B BIAS and GAIN. Now Black is truly black and the whole screen is so amazing.

But I'm gonna read tutorials and other stuff too so I can configure it right.

At the moment there is only one thing that bugs me, maybe you can help me.
- On the screen there are slight marks like dirt. I already tried to clean it with water, then with a bit soap but it does not go away.
It feels like it is underneath the glass, could that be burn-ins? If it's really just dirt, how do you suggest to clean it? Maybe alcohol? I just don't want to harm it.

On the screen there are slight marks like dirt.

This is a very heavy monitor, and unfortunately a lot of them have taken abuse. Usually the abuse looks like hairline scratches with a rainbow spectrum of colors that you see up close as you move around.

Full screen a blank white page and get a spray bottle with 50% distilled water, 50% 90% isopropyl alcohol and use a microfiber cloth like you can find at almost any auto store. The fuzzy ones, not the glass ones, as those frictionous glass cloths actually can scratch. With that setup you can get a little aggressive without fear of making things worse. Just be careful.

what does it mean when you hear kinda like a discharge in your monitor and the screen blinks, and it does it ever so often. i know it means my monitor's bout to die but what exactly is it??

Uhhh, that's a nice resolution for late at night when I'm leaning back. It also allows a 100Hz refresh rate. What ratio is that even?

1920x1200 IS perfect. On the most technical level, its dot pitch skews a few pixels (pretty difficult to pick out), but this was still the resolution meant to be. Consider that a 1080p movie wouldn't be proper HD in 1600x1024 and go from there. You have a high definition monitor, you should probably view it as such.

For HD, I used 1920 by 1080 manually letterboxed...(no reason to stick to one compromise resolution with a CRT...)

1920 by 1200 is a 16:10 ratio. Check out the viewable area screen dimensions in milimeters and you'll see that 16:10 is not quite right...

Used 1600 by 1024 for text, because it was sharper...

Used 2300 across or something like that for Halo way back when, to get some free anti-aliasing...

It's a CRT -- live it up! :)

P.S. Multiply whatever your vertical resolution is by: 1.5642439974042829331602855288774

Going by what everyone in this thread has said so far WinDAS does not adjust focus at all, the only thing it does is gamma/brightness and a slightly more specific convergence. I think the problem is that shadowmask monitors just seem to last longer than aperture grille ones and since CRTs basically stopped being made sometime around 2002 or so all the ones out now are just too old.

Conjecture aside, I'd say you're screwed. You probably have the same problem I do and as far as I know it means that the tube itself is dying and no longer capable of producing a sharp image at all, let alone edge to edge. I'm also willing to go out on a limb and predict that brighter colors such as yellow or orange and so on are much less in focus than darker ones and that black-on-grey text like you find in firefox/IE's favorites menu is more in focus than the rest.

My only suggestion is try switching to 1600x1200. For me it's more in focus (and brighter) than any of the widescreen resolutions, hopefully it will help for you too. If you can get a full refund I'd jump that, if not try and sell it to someone that finds the picture acceptable.

WINDAS does adjust focus a bit. It allows you to access dynamic convergence adjustment, adjusting convergence on every square inch of the screen. It takes some practice to get it perfect, but my FW900 is extremely sharp now that I've learned how to use WINDAS. I'm of course assuming that there is some convergence issue... usually blurriness is not just a lack of focus (the electron gun isn't accurately displaying the image), more often it's a slight convergence problem, just not enough of a problem that the eye can distinguish red/green/blue.

You'll really see the most improvement on focus by adjusting the flyback though. Be careful when doing this...

Also, I see ALOT OF THE SAME QUESTIONS being asked OVER AND OVER again. I'm not blaming that on the people asking them, because this thread's so long that it's hard to find answers. Search brings up either totally unrelated stuff, general remarks, (well meaning) people posting bad information or confused responses, contradictory posts and tangential stuff. You can spend an hour searching and not find a solid answer (I did when I first got my FW900).

I'd be happy to compile a How-to & FAQ, but that would only be worthwhile if it either got stickied or made the first post in this thread so people actually find it. Otherwise it will get lost in the noise. It would be a lot of effort to really do it in the quality that would make it actually useful.

Could a Mod help?

Edit: I know there's a bit of a FAQ in the first post now, but it's below the screen shots so lots of people probably just scroll over it. Also it doesn't explain WINDAS, changing resistors out, driver issues, HDTV compatibility. Though it's a very nice start and with permission I'd just as well take it as a starting point rather then going from scratch.

WINDAS does adjust focus a bit. It allows you to access dynamic convergence adjustment, adjusting convergence on every square inch of the screen. It takes some practice to get it perfect, but my FW900 is extremely sharp now that I've learned how to use WINDAS. I'm of course assuming that there is some convergence issue... usually blurriness is not just a lack of focus (the electron gun isn't accurately displaying the image), more often it's a slight convergence problem, just not enough of a problem that the eye can distinguish red/green/blue.

You'll really see the most improvement on focus by adjusting the flyback though. Be careful when doing this...

Also, I see ALOT OF THE SAME QUESTIONS being asked OVER AND OVER again. I'm not blaming that on the people asking them, because this thread's so long that it's hard to find answers. Search brings up either totally unrelated stuff, general remarks, (well meaning) people posting bad information or confused responses, contradictory posts and tangential stuff. You can spend an hour searching and not find a solid answer (I did when I first got my FW900).

I'd be happy to compile a How-to & FAQ, but that would only be worthwhile if it either got stickied or made the first post in this thread so people actually find it. Otherwise it will get lost in the noise. It would be a lot of effort to really do it in the quality that would make it actually useful.

Could a Mod help?

Edit: I know there's a bit of a FAQ in the first post now, but it's below the screen shots so lots of people probably just scroll over it. Also it doesn't explain WINDAS, changing resistors out, driver issues, HDTV compatibility. Though it's a very nice start and with permission I'd just as well take it as a starting point rather then going from scratch.

I would appreciate a how-to for these monitors

Could a Mod help?

i wholeheartedly agree with you.. we need this on the front page of this thread above screenshots.. im sure a mod would be willing to edit the OPs post with this.

Thumbs up for a FAQ sticky! I would love to fully pimp out my FW900 but 200 pages is crazy hard to find the relevant info. Mods hook it up plz so Hvatum can do his thing.

I have a COMPAQ one that I bought years ago.These can only do 1920x1600. I haven't been using it for a while since I used to looking at LCD display these days.

It was manufactured in 1997. Probably the first generation of these 24 inch SONY's, rebadged for COMPAQ. I am in Milpitas, CA. Anyone interested please make me an offer. Thanks.

I have a COMPAQ one that I bought years ago. I haven't been using it for a while since I used to looking at LCD display these days.

It was manufactured in 1997. Probably the first generation of these 24 inch SONY's, rebadged for COMPAQ. I am in Milpitas, CA. Anyone interested please make me an offer. Thanks.

hah..... I have 3 of them...

compaq p1610
HEAVY SUCKERS!!!!! 90lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've got my vote...this monitor and the size of this thread certainly warrants one.

Hey guys
First post here. I bought this monitor from a company, but it seems that it was damaged in the shipping. From my research it seems like it was dropped and has become magnetized. The top right corner is green and the left side of the monitor is red. The degausser doesn't do anything. After fixing the problem manually, every time i turn it off and on again it would be the same problem. Is this monitor trash now? I really hope not. Is this a common problem with a common solution? I already got a refund and would like to keep this monitor rather than just buy a 24" LCD instead. Thanks for reading

Hey guys
First post here. I bought this monitor from a company, but it seems that it was damaged in the shipping. From my research it seems like it was dropped and has become magnetized. The top right corner is green and the left side of the monitor is red. The degausser doesn't do anything. After fixing the problem manually, every time i turn it off and on again it would be the same problem. Is this monitor trash now? I really hope not. Is this a common problem with a common solution? I already got a refund and would like to keep this monitor rather than just buy a 24" LCD instead. Thanks for reading

Are you sure you've tried everything? That sounds like a landing issue, and those settings should stay over shutdown. Top left corner in menu, "screen", there you'll find landing setting for each corner. These monitors are rather sensitive to transport and temperature changes, and it is very normal that settings are way off. Run image restoration and try adjusting everything. And remember to leave it on for hour or two before doing anything. It won't even let you to use "image restoration" until after 30 min or so.

P.S. I thought mine was broken too, but after a few hours image started to clear and everything was fine.

Are you sure you've tried everything? That sounds like a landing issue, and those settings should stay over shutdown. Top left corner in menu, "screen", there you'll find landing setting for each corner. These monitors are rather sensitive to transport and temperature changes, and it is very normal that settings are way off. Run image restoration and try adjusting everything. And remember to leave it on for hour or two before doing anything. It won't even let you to use "image restoration" until after 30 min or so.

P.S. I thought mine was broken too, but after a few hours image started to clear and everything was fine.
IMG_2546.jpg

so you're saying this is normal? When i said repaired I meant with a degaussing coil, because it makes those colors as if there were magnets around (but there aren't). Is there anyway to fix this problem. Please help and thanks

so you're saying this is normal? When i said repaired I meant with a degaussing coil, because it makes those colors as if there were magnets around (but there aren't). Is there anyway to fix this problem. Please help and thanks

I think he is saying its definitely worth a shot to use the landing controls in the monitor's menu.

Like novemberrain, I got one of these a few months ago..I had almost the same problem except mine had a horrible green blotch that looked just like somebody had stuck a magnet to the lower left hand corner. Thanks to the info in this great thread I was able to make it look perfect by using the landing controls for the left hand corner.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I see that the lading setting do change it, but it's better now and not perfect. I will wait 2 hours before messing with it again. Where is the "image restoration" option exactly? Thanks again
Edit: Ok i found the image restoration under color and used it after a few hours, but no improvement (on the blobs anyway). It seems that if the landing scale was a little bigger it would fix my problem, but it maxes out at 100 and there is little yellow greenish blob on the on top of the screen on the right side (not in the corner exactly). There is also a big red blob that still covers the left side. The landing fixed the bottom corners no problem.
Just for fun, I put all the landing settings at 0 and the screen looked really bad. The big red blob was nearly in the entire right side of the screen with a green one behind it and the corner was fine lol. Any other suggestions? It looks better now, but still unacceptable.

hi

does anyone know what I might find an fw900 near toronto, canada?

I've checked on ebay and craigslist

but the only ones were in the states

thanks,
IK

there is a shop from New Jersey selling some on ebay, they say you can go there and pick one out yourself.

It seems that if the landing scale was a little bigger it would fix my problem, but it maxes out at 100 and there is little yellow greenish blob on the on top of the screen on the right side (not in the corner exactly). There is also a big red blob that still covers the left side. The landing fixed the bottom corners no problem.

Sounds like it has other issues then..have you tried a degausser since you adjusted the landing controls?

Sounds like it has other issues then..have you tried a degausser since you adjusted the landing controls?

yeah i tried the degausser several times (each 30 mins or so), but no luck. I really don't want to just throw this monitor away. There must be a way to fix it. I might have to wait until I go to a bigger town that has places that fix these issues. I am a student in a small college town right now, and no place does CRT repairs. Any other suggestions?

IMG_2546.jpg

Did you tried to shrink the screen size toward the center yet? Is the discoloration in the same place when go smaller or does it disappear. Just to see if it's the tube or some kind of magnetism on the corner.

yeah i tried the degausser several times (each 30 mins or so), but no luck. I really don't want to just throw this monitor away. There must be a way to fix it. I might have to wait until I go to a bigger town that has places that fix these issues. I am a student in a small college town right now, and no place does CRT repairs. Any other suggestions?

If the degausser coil isn't doing anything to the splotch when your waving it around then I am guessing there is some kind of physical damage to the aperture grille? In that case its probably a major problem...but I am far from being an expert on monitor repair..

If the degausser coil isn't doing anything to the splotch when your waving it around then I am guessing there is some kind of physical damage to the aperture grille? In that case its probably a major problem...but I am far from being an expert on monitor repair..

well the internal degausser works,because if i really mess up the picture with an external magnet and then degauss then it goes back to the exact same 2 splotches.

I'd say you have some serious internal problems then. Repair for FW900's that are out of warranty (read: all of them) is in the vicinity of $300 as quoted by sony, I'd demand a full refund or replacement with a working one.

IMG_2546.jpg

I havn't read what other have said in response. But here's my suggestions

1.) Resize the image so that there is about 1/2" on each side of empty space between the image and the bezel. As well give about 5/8" on top and bottom between image and bezel.

2.) Try to correct your landing for the top left and top right with the image properly resized. This will probably mess up the geometry (keystone and what not) But you can fix the geometry later. Just a note **The image isn't supposed to take up every last space on the screen.**

If I go to pick one of these up out of a lot, what should I exactly be looking for?

The newest one they have available?

If you can try to run the nokia monitor test on them, get the one with the best focus when running at 1920x1200 @85hz with the contrast and brightness at 100.

Try a small application called RefreshForce http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/ . It gave me back 1920 x 1200 @ 85Hz on my FW900 while still using nvidias latest graphics drivers (169.21).
It's designed as a one time use fix. I messed with it too many times the first time and it stopped working. However uninstalling/reinstalling the graphics drivers got everything working again.

I think you need 100 posts to get access to that section, I'm 200 miles away and I'm tempted to get it as a backup, because there is no way I'm going back to LCD when my current one dies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-GDM-FW900-...222043430QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260222043430

Since I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan and this is only 20 minutes away, I've been strongly considering going to pick it up. I tried reading through all 197 pages, but I could only get to 20. Help me decide whether or not to pick this up or just get an LCD. My problem is that most of the games that I play are from 2003 and below. This was a time when widescreen wasnt as prevalent. However, I still watch alot of widescreen movies, and I occasionally play a newer game like F.E.A.R. but I would still have to say that 97% of the games that I play are fullscreen only games that existed prior to 2003. It's very important to me that I'll be able to play these games in their normal aspect ratio and that I wont be just playing a stretched widescreen mess. Let's say I was going to play a game that doesnt support widescreen like Doom or Halo, if I loaded that game up would the screen be stretched or would there automatically be black bars along the sides? Or is that something that I'm going to have to configure either via monitor settings or in-game settings each and every time that I load up the game? (And no, I know there are tweaks for Halo widescreen mode but it makes the game look fugly so I dont plan on forcing widescreen modes on non-widescreen games).

I'm also contemplating the ease of use of this thing. I know my stuff about general computer hardware, but when it comes to computer monitors I'm dumb as a rock. Browsing through this thread, it looks like there's alot of degaussing to be done and alot of configuration to be done. I wont know how to do half of that stuff out-of-the-box, and I keep reading about all these different calibration programs and guides that I should follow to get the best performance.... I just dont know which is right to use. How n00b friendly is this monitor, because it sounds like I'll have to tinker with the settings all the time in order to get the best picture quality. Can anyone give me an idea of what my settings SHOULD be when I finally go out and buy this thing so that when I go up there with a laptop to test it out before I buy it, I'll know what to change around in order to get the best picture to know if it's worth plopping down $200 for?

Also, I've read that CRT isnt as good for text. I know that this is supposed to be a superb gaming monitor, but most of my time spent in front of the computer is spent browsing the internet or doing papers. Not to say that gaming isnt important, because it definately is. Both are held of equal value to me. Exactly how much more difficult is it to read text on this monitor? How much more uncomfortable will I feel spending 6+ hours in front of this thing?

Ultimately, should I go buy this monitor this weekend? I'll have to spend up to $100 on taxi fares to get there and back, and I want to make sure that if I get up there, the monitor is in superb shape, and I plunk down two Benjamins for it and lug it all the way back to my dorm, that over time I'll be satisfied with it from here until kingdom come.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back