24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

Just got my HP!! :D It looks great right out of the box. I'll have to fiddle with it a little bit but it's looks pretty good so far. There are a few nicks on the outside case but that doesn't matter to me at all.

Gonna give it about an hour to warm up and then I'll start fiddling.

I've never had a wide screen before. It's weird that when I maximize a window I don't have a ton of white space on the right side. It stretches everything. Not sure if I like that or not. . .

This looks like it's going to be a great monitor. Thanks everyone.

Anyone know what actually makes the noise?

I got this info from a google search, it was from an NEC display faq or something. I think the info in the answer is general and applies to most CRT's.

Q. Why is my monitor making a clicking sound (Monitor Relay Clicking)?
A. There have been many inquiries into the 'relay clicking' in NEC MultiSync and Mitsubishi series monitors. Our monitors have two or more relays built into their circuits. The first relay is in the power supply and 'clicks' closed when the manual front panel degaussing switch is activated. It 'clicks' open when degaussing circuit capacitor has completely discharged and begins the next charge cycle.

The second set of relays, and the ones that generate the most inquiries, are employed in the horizontal deflection output circuit. Typically, these relays open when the horizontal input frequency is below approximately 38kHz (VGA modes). The relays close (and click) when the horizontal input frequency is greater than 38kHz. These relays are employed in the deflection circuit to assure that the horizontal and vertical linearity performance remains constant from the low end frequencies through to the high end.

This 'clicking' occurs when the high resolution, i.e., 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024 or 1600x1200) video graphics driver is loaded when executing certain software programs packages such as WINDOWS?. These relays 'click' open when the user exits out of their high resolution application and returns to standard VGA DOS modes.

In closing, NEC would like to reassure its customers that the relay clicking they hear from their NEC Display Solutions MultiSync is normal and that the sound level differences from one monitor to another reflect relay manufacturing tolerances and/or additional acoustic factors such as the tightness of the chassis mounting screws.

I have an Nvidia 7600GT. I wasn't able to find custom settings in display properties but I installed Powerstrip and found it there. However, when I set it to 1600x1024 part of the desktop is off the screen. It's like it got stretched too far. Plus, there's a real bad flicker at 85hz.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

I have an Nvidia 7600GT. I wasn't able to find custom settings in display properties but I installed Powerstrip and found it there. However, when I set it to 1600x1024 part of the desktop is off the screen. It's like it got stretched too far. Plus, there's a real bad flicker at 85hz.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

try 1600x1000

Ok, I'll try that tonight. The monitor seems kind of dark. Other than cranking up Brightness is there any other way to brighten things?

Ok, I'll try that tonight. The monitor seems kind of dark. Other than cranking up Brightness is there any other way to brighten things?
Try going into your nvidia control panel, and into the color adjust. Bump up the gamma by 0.3, half a tick mark on the digital vibrance and adjust the contrast and brightness marks accordingly (only a small bit).

My monitor is set at 72 contrast and 27 brightness for normal day to day text viewing.

Try that with the nvidia settings.

You should be able to run it that high. I ran ~97 RR @ 1920x1200.

How do you get 97 refresh at 1920x1200? Mine only uses 85 max at that resolution. Do i need to install the monitor drivers thru a floppy drive(dont have one atm) to get that to work with higher refresh?

I set it for 1600x1000 and it squished everything toward the middle. Then I stretched with the monitor controls and it looks pretty good now.

The whites are still pretty dull. It's not a gray but it's not quite white if that makes any sense. My other monitor kind of looked like this too but I expected a little more from this one.

How do you get 97 refresh at 1920x1200? Mine only uses 85 max at that resolution. Do i need to install the monitor drivers thru a floppy drive(dont have one atm) to get that to work with higher refresh?

powerstrip or create custom timings with ur vid card drivers...

Man.... My trusty old Viewsonic 21" CRT went out today. Had it about 8.5 years and it got a lot of use. Back in 1998 when I bought it, I paid ~$1200.

I will miss my CRT, but I will eventually want to view HDCP content. Soooo I guess I will have to settle for a modern LCD. Not by choice unless you guys know of a high res, wide screen CRT that has HDCP and is affordable. Must be able to support native 1080p.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

1600 by 1024 at 100Hz should work very well. I've used it for years with NVIDIA cards and this monitor. This setting should be available from the NVIDIA control panel. Uncheck show only resolutions this monitor can display box and otherwise update drivers, play around with it, until it's there I'd suggest. (You'll need to adjust the monitor picture controls until size and geometry are good.)

You can also try adjusting the color temperature and the contrast with regards to the white issue. Also check out the landing adjustments and any nearby magnetic sources if you're experiencing white purity issues...

I have it at 85hz right now and it looks pretty good. What is the benefit of going to 100hz?

if 85hz works fine. dont worry about it. having a higher refresh rate only makes the monitor die quicker.

Man.... My trusty old Viewsonic 21" CRT went out today. Had it about 8.5 years and it got a lot of use. Back in 1998 when I bought it, I paid ~$1200.

I will miss my CRT, but I will eventually want to view HDCP content. Soooo I guess I will have to settle for a modern LCD. Not by choice unless you guys know of a high res, wide screen CRT that has HDCP and is affordable. Must be able to support native 1080p.

This thing does 1080p without breaking a sweat, but the HDCP is a nogo. Sorry mate, but this monitor is still a helluva monitor.

I have it at 85hz right now and it looks pretty good. What is the benefit of going to 100hz?

85 or higher is considered ergonomic.

(100 has even less flicker, if you can still see flicker at 85...)

This particular monitor seems to even show flicker around the edges even with 85 Hz. I normally have this at 95 Hz and the flicker is gone. On my old Hitachi Superscan Elite, 85 Hz was really good with just 85 tho.

This particular monitor seems to even show flicker around the edges even with 85 Hz. I normally have this at 95 Hz and the flicker is gone. On my old Hitachi Superscan Elite, 85 Hz was really good with just 85 tho.

hrm wierd ive been running 85hz on my FW900 for months and dont see any flicker at the edges or anywhere on the screen , are you sure there's nothing causing interference? I noticed if I turned a nearby fan on in my room it caused a slight flicker effect on the monitor, after moving the fan to another outlet it stopped doing it.

Whats the highest refresh you can get at 2560x1600? I can only get 60hz max which is really hard on the eyes obviously. Id like to get a higher refresh do i need to use powerstrip?

Whats the highest refresh you can get at 2560x1600? I can only get 60hz max which is really hard on the eyes obviously. Id like to get a higher refresh do i need to use powerstrip?

the max resolution of the fw900 can do is 2304x1440. not sure where u getting 2560x1600...
the highest refresh rate for that res is 75hz as far as im aware.

hrm wierd ive been running 85hz on my FW900 for months and dont see any flicker at the edges or anywhere on the screen , are you sure there's nothing causing interference? I noticed if I turned a nearby fan on in my room it caused a slight flicker effect on the monitor, after moving the fan to another outlet it stopped doing it.

Hmm , probably, I have quite a lot of electronics in the same room, so that might be it. I can live with bumping it up to 95, cuz moving the rest of my electronics is not really effective.

the max resolution of the fw900 can do is 2304x1440. not sure where u getting 2560x1600...
the highest refresh rate for that res is 75hz as far as im aware.
It is 2304x1440 at 80hz or so, but run it at 60hz and you can run much higher.

Example with my HP P1110, Max stated resolution is 2048x1536 at 75hz, but can do 2496x1872 at 60hz. This monitor can also run 2560x1600 at 60hz, so your FW900 should be able to go a bit higher refresh wise.

I'm thinking about selling the one I just bought (HP A7217A) from Accurate IT. It's perfect and I paid $499. I will sell for less. If anyone is interested, let me know. It has a 1 year warranty.

my monitor will not do 2560x1600 at 60hz. this is with an 8800gtx vid card.
i didnt try powerstrip, i only tried adding a custom resolution in the control panel.

Power strip is for ATI cards. If you couldn't do it with your 8800 then the monitor probably can't go that high.

Okay, maybe not then, I just ... well wouldn't that be redundant?

But why...tho? Nvidia has a built-in custom resolution setter....

Bummrus[H]a;1030645681 said:
I got this info from a google search, it was from an NEC display faq or something. I think the info in the answer is general and applies to most CRT's.

Very neat, thanks for looking. (I couldnt every find anything about it)

Eh you wouldn't have known... :)

I love to be back on my FW900 again... I was using my 19" LCD for a 5 day LAN (yes 5 days in a guys basement.. had changes of clothes... and got to use the shower a few times :p)

Was intense, but glad to be back on the good monitor... I didn't bring it because... it barely fits in my front seat... and... I doubt our tables we use would support it...

68Hz from my 8800GTX.

(Monitor appears to still have a little room to go higher after that, but graphics card won't go higher with regular control panel anyway...)

Interesting experiment. :)

I just hooked up my 2nd FW900. Bliss.

I'm having some trouble setting up the second screen though, i've never had dual monitors before. Right now it's set so the 2nd monitor doesn't show anything but the wallpaper unless i drag it onto that screen.

So my question is, how can i tweak the screen with programs like Nokia Monitor test and Checkmon? When i run them they go full screen on my primary display, but i can't get them to show on the secondary.

:confused:

Something strange i noticed while setting up the resolution and stuff with powerstrip on the secondary. My main screen can do a max of 96Hz at 1920x1200 (pixel clock 317.903MHz, 121.152kHz scan rate, 96Hz refresh), but my second screen can do 98Hz (pixel clock 316.227MHz, 122.001kHz scan, 97.993Hz refresh) at the same resolution. My main screen is also slightly newer, so i guess a newer FW900 doesn't mean a superior one.
Anyway, any guess as to why the pixel clock is higher on my main even though it's doing a lower scan/refresh rate?

Back