24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

lol..

Cables... Standard VGA Male to Male is fine... if your video card is DVI maybe a DVI to VGA cable...

I'm running VGA to Vga-DVI adapter... doesn't seem to be any worse.

Honestly... run the image calibration... adjust the colors and shape as you see fit... then use the screwdriver trick through the top to adjust the focus if you think it's bad.

It won't be LCD quality.. but you can deal with that :)

Seriously... I have seen this question posed a few times throughout this thread and haven't really seen an answer...

What is the expected lifespan of one of these monitors? Is there really a way to know this? Did Sony ever state average lifespan? Hours usage type of thing?

I know that hard drives have an hours usage type of thing before failure listed...

Just curious... I have been eye balling one on EBay that isn't too far from my location...

My 17" Trinitron worked for 4+ years for me... using it nearly 24/7... I leave them on all day, only turn them off for night... so 12-14 hours... sometimes longer... x 4 years roughly...

Gave it to a neighbor... still works as far as I know

Hopefully this one lasts as long... the guy pulled it out of his closet... it looked almost brand new aside from dust...

my monitor was manufactured back in 2002. still going strong for me. i dont know its previous history though. i have owned it 1 yrs 5 months now...only issue i have is warm-up time. but whatever, i live with it.

i leave my monitor on roughly 8-10 hours on weekdays, and 16+ hours on the weekends per day. i guess that wouldnt be consider heavy usage though.

I just turn it off to keep the lighting down in my room... sometimes I watch movies on it and turn it towards my bed :p it's like 2-3 ft form me

I just turn it off to keep the lighting down in my room... sometimes I watch movies on it and turn it towards my bed :p it's like 2-3 ft form me

nice setup

I really wish I could have my bed closer to my monitor, it would be nice to watch a movie while I'm going to sleep. Instead I've got the top bunk in a double this year :(

I also leave mine on 16 hours per day. I've only had one CRT ever fail on me, it was a Trinitron 21". It lasted for about 7 years. One thing you want to avoid doing is powercycling the monitor a lot, only turn it off at night. The 21" CRT only failed in my opinion because my dad set it to go into powersaving after 20 minutes of disuse, that's a lot of powercycles. If you really want to have your FW900 last it might be better to never turn it off at all, though someone else might have a different opinion on that.

It's like lightbulbs... they last longer if they're left on...

The only concern is electricity...

I think 360 times isn't a lot for 1 year... if it can last 5000 on/offs... then you can make it last 10+ years? haha...

Not really sure...

:)

Couple energy drinks... xbox 360 is behind the VX922...

I just cleaned it up... it normally isn't anywhere near this clean...

I don't know about you...but when i take pictures of my set up...normally all the shit that's on my desk gets relocated to behind the camera. hahah, Snap the pic, and then move the clutter back on my desk :p

I did hide some cans ;) but other then that it's clean back there... just an xbox 360 and some more cables...

Nice nice, liking the setup. I have something similar to yours as far as PCing goes. I have a couple of VX724's that I could connect to my computer, but they are somewhere in the garage. I'll post some pictures when I dig them out this weekend.

Ok guys I received the interface unit, please aid me in using it. First and foremost I don't even know where to download WinDAS software, instructions say "Install the program" ecc. But there is no floppy/CD/DVD or even URL for reference!

Ok I found on that geocities link the software and I installed it...But there's something still missing, it says "no mdl files" and I can't select any model therefore!

What do I have to do?

hey guys

what is the aspect ratio for this monitor. is it 16:10 or 16:9.....My res is 1680x1050.(if that makes a difference)

and how can I tell what the max refresh rate is for that res. I have the HP version of this monitor. is that different in specs from the SONY labelled one in anyway.

hey guys

what is the aspect ratio for this monitor. is it 16:10 or 16:9.....My res is 1680x1050.(if that makes a difference)

and how can I tell what the max refresh rate is for that res. I have the HP version of this monitor. is that different in specs from the SONY labelled one in anyway.
the ratio is 16:10 for this monitor, it'll do 1900x1200@85hz but I dont think it PROPERLY supports 1680x1050.
The native is 1900x1200.
I have the same HP, the A7217A.

the ratio is 16:10 for this monitor, it'll do 1900x1200@85hz but I dont think it PROPERLY supports 1680x1050.
The native is 1900x1200.
I have the same HP, the A7217A.

CRTs dont have "native" resolutions.
1920x1200 is the recommended resolution for it.
1680x1050 is fine for it.

BTW

If I switch over to the BNC inputs and make setting changes and THEN switch back to the VGA-PC inputs, will the setting for PC be affected by the BNc settings.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if I have my XBOX360 plugged into the BNC and PC into the regular into VGA inputs, will the setting changes I make on one affect the other when I switch between the two ?

BTW

If I switch over to the BNC inputs and make setting changes and THEN switch back to the VGA-PC inputs, will the setting for PC be affected by the BNc settings.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if I have my XBOX360 plugged into the BNC and PC into the regular into VGA inputs, will the setting changes I make on one affect the other when I switch between the two ?

It saves individual brightness / contrast etc. settings for each input the only thing I noticed is that it wont save color temperature separately, so if you change the BNC input to 9300K it will also change the VGA input to 9300K.

This monitor is not a proper 16:10. That or an equivalent ratio of 1.6:1. This monitor (if you take out a ruler) has a ratio of 1.56:1. If you want to maintain XXXX x 1200. Then your proper resolution for this screen is (1870 - 1880) x 1200. There is measuring error. But anything within that range would be okay. And you can figure out the math for the other resolutions, basically just multiply 1.56 by your vertical resolution, and you have it.

Mine is pretty much dead on ... 19.2" x 12"... my resolution is 1920 x 1200... makes sense...

CRTs dont have "native" resolutions.
1920x1200 is the recommended resolution for it.
1680x1050 is fine for it.

native meaning recommended by the manufacturer :) Lets not get overly technical, native, recommended=the same thing :)

and 1680x1050 was not supported as a useable resolution until the last 3 driver releases by ATI in the display properties, and when i look in my manual, it says nothing about supporting that resolution.

I dont know about you guys, but if i switch to 1680x1050, i'm missing the top eighth of my screen, but every other resolution is fine so i know its not the monitor. I think that particular resolution is forced by the drivers. :)

then again i cant get a 2304 X 1440 maximum resolution at all on mine, i dont know what the deal is, never have been able to get it up that high

i usually just use 1600x1000 instead of 1680x1050. both resolutions work fine though.
i use 100hz refresh rate during games.

but now that i have an 8800gtx i can run all my games in 2304x1440 now. :D

I have another dilemma guys.

Consider the following facts.

I am quite broke now. I also have second child on the way. I have been playing with my XBOX360 on a TOSHIBA 27” NON-hdtv. Its just a regular tube TV. I would love to be able to get a better TV to get better picture quality than my present TV. BUT I CANT AFFORD ONE . Soooo If I got the BNC cables to connect to my monitor will the picture be noticeably different than my regular TV. I don’t want to blow my money (what little I have) on cables only to find out it doesn’t do much !

This thread (mathesar) convinced me of getting this thing, and I have my xbox360 hooked up to it right now using component through the Neoya xvga2 Vga transcoder. Picture is great at 1080p, and I get no overscan whatsoever.
Something though, this thread has gotten me obsessive about the monitor fading (it's ok right now) so I'll have to look into this Windas thing, but I'll have to admit I don't feel too comfortable with all this at the moment. (something I wonder: so it fades away, the blacks get lighter forcing you to bring the brightness down until you can't anymore, what about contrast, is there a point where you loose your whites also? a setting for this?)

I have taken pictures (many) of Gears of War and Kameo running at 1080p of course.
my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

I have some more if you are interested.

The shipping company just received my monitor from Accurate IT. :)
Unfortunately, they weren't making any deliveries because of the weather. :(

I have another dilemma guys.

Consider the following facts.

I am quite broke now. I also have second child on the way. I have been playing with my XBOX360 on a TOSHIBA 27” NON-hdtv. Its just a regular tube TV. I would love to be able to get a better TV to get better picture quality than my present TV. BUT I CANT AFFORD ONE . Soooo If I got the BNC cables to connect to my monitor will the picture be noticeably different than my regular TV. I don’t want to blow my money (what little I have) on cables only to find out it doesn’t do much !

From what i've read in this thread, it seems everyone uses the VGA cable for their XBOX 360, and save the BNC for the computer. Does microsoft even make BCN cables for the 360?

And yes, you will notice a difference. Right now your games are running at 640x480 on a low def screen. Hook it up to the FW900 and you'll be able to run games at a much higher resolution. Everything will be more defined, crisp, and you'll see much more detail.

If you want to get an idea of the difference, and your video card has a TV out on it (s-video or the like), play HL2 or some other nice looking game on your FW900 in all it's high res goodness. Then hook up your PC to your TV and play the same game on it. You'll puke. :p

he said he needed the WinDAS(sp?) software for the fw900 so he change settings on it.

No actually I said I installed it but I had a problem in displaying models that I fixed now. Ok, do you advice me to send the file to the guy there and then change settings directly from the original ones?

Bummrus[H]a;1030639449 said:
From what i've read in this thread, it seems everyone uses the VGA cable for their XBOX 360, and save the BNC for the computer. Does microsoft even make BCN cables for the 360?

And yes, you will notice a difference. Right now your games are running at 640x480 on a low def screen. Hook it up to the FW900 and you'll be able to run games at a much higher resolution. Everything will be more defined, crisp, and you'll see much more detail.

If you want to get an idea of the difference, and your video card has a TV out on it (s-video or the like), play HL2 or some other nice looking game on your FW900 in all it's high res goodness. Then hook up your PC to your TV and play the same game on it. You'll puke. :p

hey thanks for that answer.That is encouraging

Now another quick one. You know that loud tick-tock you hear when the monitor changes resolution.......that sounds like a lot of wear and tear happening when that happens. What causes that sound. I have a KVM switch that I am thinking of using for both my PC and XBOX360 and using the VGA cable to connect to one of the KVM's port. What I am concernedabout is all this resolution is going to cause premature wear on the monitor.......Am I making sense.....

That tick-tock sound is native to ever CRT whenever you change resolutions. There is no way to "bypass it" or anything. That is normal and inevitable.

Back