24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

True... if I really wanted one though I'd be willing to pay a bit more...

And I'll bet LCD technology will improve to the point where it beat out the FW900... or maybe that's wishful thinking :)

As far as the whole cause of the brightness problem, the problem does NOT appeare to be G2.

Xweebie, the guy you know from Emusicraft, has monitored the voltages to just about every grid on the CRT.

Do any of you guys still have a bright picture during warmup of the CRT? Xweebie has monitored every voltage and has found that none of the voltages change as the picture goes from being bright when you first turn it on, to normal.

Did you accidently post the same memo twice? My FW900 suffers from a bright screen during warmup (weak black levels) but it seems to be very common for most users in this thread. On mine the black levels are actually green'ish for the first couple minutes then it remains a medium gray until fully warming up.

Oh ya and welcome to the forum
icon14.gif

True... if I really wanted one though I'd be willing to pay a bit more...

And I'll bet LCD technology will improve to the point where it beat out the FW900... or maybe that's wishful thinking :)

Probably wishful thinking, except for screen size...

hey guys.
just to keep me from having to dig thru over a hundred pages I have this simple question. I want to hook my XBOX 360 up to this monitor using the VGA cables (not the 5 component connectors on the back). Is this going to look any better than my 27" Toshiba FST 27AFX54 which is not an HDTV but a tube TV ?

Hi all FW900 owners

How long will you keep using this monster? Without HDCP support it probably can't display 1080p materials for PS3, Blu ray DVD, etc.

I have a FW900 and have no complain at all. Colour, black (of course), everything is perfect! I can't decide whether I should change to a high end LCD in the near future, I think the quality of FW900 is still superior to all LCD monitors out there. But without HDCP support, that will be a problem, what do you guys think?

Hi all FW900 owners

How long will you keep using this monster? Without HDCP support it probably can't display 1080p materials for PS3, Blu ray DVD, etc.

I have a FW900 and have no complain at all. Colour, black (of course), everything is perfect! I can't decide whether I should change to a high end LCD in the near future, I think the quality of FW900 is still superior to all LCD monitors out there. But without HDCP support, that will be a problem, what do you guys think?

they've already cracked the protection. i'm not worried about it personally.

hey guys.
just to keep me from having to dig thru over a hundred pages I have this simple question. I want to hook my XBOX 360 up to this monitor using the VGA cables (not the 5 component connectors on the back). Is this going to look any better than my 27" Toshiba FST 27AFX54 which is not an HDTV but a tube TV ?

You can use the VGA cable and set the Xbox 360 resolution to anything you want... I have mine running at 1280 x 1024... it looks awesome

Got mine today. There's a few things I might have questions about later but I just kinda rushed through setting it up (have to hit the road pretty soon), did the color adjustment and all.

Freaking awesome! :D

Where did you get your FW900, General Crespin? Should I have all my color GAINS or BIAS maxed, because neither are maxed out on my monitor and the color quality is excellent?

Hi all FW900 owners

Got my first FW900 in 2001. Disappointing that all these years later, the FW900 still sets the bar for PQ. But its picture is gorgeous and that's the case. That LCDs can be so much bigger (e.g., 30 inch HP, 32 inch 1080P from Sharp coming in March), might be the only thing that would lure me away...

Did you accidently post the same memo twice? My FW900 suffers from a bright screen during warmup (weak black levels) but it seems to be very common for most users in this thread. On mine the black levels are actually green'ish for the first couple minutes then it remains a medium gray until fully warming up.

Oh ya and welcome to the forum
icon14.gif

Just like to chime in and say mine does this as well...

Its like the brightness is turned up too high. About 20 minutes after its turned on, its back to normal. If its turned off for more than a half hour it always does this after being turned back on.

Just like to chime in and say mine does this as well...

Its like the brightness is turned up too high. About 20 minutes after its turned on, its back to normal. If its turned off for more than a half hour it always does this after being turned back on.

This is completely normal.

(The Diamondtron line got past this a bit I think, but Sony must have had their reasons for setting up the electronics as they did for their Trinitron line...)

This is completely normal.

(The Diamondtron line got past this a bit I think, but Sony must have had their reasons for setting up the electronics as they did for their Trinitron line...)

Yea I suppose it is , The other 2 Trinitrons I have do the same thing (G520P / G400) The only thing I notice about the FW900 is it takes a lot longer to warm up (30 minutes before black levels are normal vs. about 10 minutes for the other 2 monitors).

Got my first FW900 in 2001. Disappointing that all these years later, the FW900 still sets the bar for PQ. But its picture is gorgeous and that's the case. That LCDs can be so much bigger (e.g., 30 inch HP, 32 inch 1080P from Sharp coming in March), might be the only thing that would lure me away...

I feel exactly the same. I was really dissapointed to see that the thin-CRT technology never panned out, I would have paid extra for that.

:confused: how does fw900 perform compare to Diamond Pro 2070SB in IQ?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think PCWorld had an issue with the text quality on the 2070. And that they guessed this was because the 2070 was optimized for graphics. Of course, the text issue might have just been with their particular sample...

Yea I suppose it is , The other 2 Trinitrons I have do the same thing (G520P / G400) The only thing I notice about the FW900 is it takes a lot longer to warm up (30 minutes before black levels are normal vs. about 10 minutes for the other 2 monitors).

For some reason the warm up period is much more noticeable on the FW900.

Once it's warmed up though...it's certainly a hard act to follow. Been using it as an HDTV as well (original Dish HD receiver had a VGA out) and wow...

More recently have been impressed with the picture from an HD tuner card and the FW900.

Hi everybody

How big is the sony 24' compared to a Dell 2407???? (I got exactly the same sony crt at work and want to buy a dell 24 but dont realize how big it this.. )

Thx!

Hi everybody

How big is the sony 24' compared to a Dell 2407???? (I got exactly the same sony crt at work and want to buy a dell 24 but dont realize how big it this.. )

Thx!

22" viewable. This is on the first page of this thread.

Thx for ur fast reply!

22' viewable for 2407 or sony??? (cant find the reference in first post sorry..)

This means viewable area is bigger for sony or dell????

Thx for ur fast reply!

22' viewable for 2407 or sony??? (cant find the reference in first post sorry..)

the dell is 24" viewable. same thing applies other LCDs. their advertised size is the same as viewable area. unlike CRTs

Thx for ur fast reply!

24 inches over 22.5 inches isn't enough to make up for the image quality loss with the LCD...

I would say the FW900 punches well over its weight, but maybe over its size would be better...(especially with my having had the pleasure of lifting this CRT again a couple of days ago...)

Hi all FW900 owners

I think the answer to your first question is "Until SED displays come out."

It's too bad they are mired in legal problems now . . .

Anyway, I will be using this thing and my IBM P275 (also Trinitron) until they die.

so are you saying that high end CRT is still superior than high end LCD such as Eizo or NEC 2690? In terms of IQ, color, and black level?:confused:

so are you saying that high end CRT is still superior than high end LCD such as Eizo or NEC 2690? In terms of IQ, color, and black level?:confused:

Yes, unfortunately. There's really no question about it. Just look at the pictures on the first page of this thread. I was actually went through two different LCDs, before I went back to the FW900. I just couldn't stand the loss black levels and color quality.

Thanks, General Cespin. So, you have no complaints about the quality of product you received from RAD Recycling? No screen scratches or diminished IQ?

Nope, no screen scratches.

What should I look for with IQ, anything special? I haven't seen any problems so far, I've run through EVEREST's screen diagnostics thing and done some gaming, so far so good. :)

Yes, unfortunately. There's really no question about it. Just look at the pictures on the first page of this thread. I was actually went through two different LCDs, before I went back to the FW900. I just couldn't stand the loss black levels and color quality.

just about the same here...
i bought a samsung 225bw to "replace" my monitor for my main rig. after 3 weeks, i went back to my FW900. LCDs suck. the LCD is now on my 2ndary rig and I use it when tranporting my computer...

what is the better resolution for FW900 to use with Xbox 360,¿ 1280x720p o rescale 1920x1080p ?:confused:

Thanks you.

If there isn't too much of a performance penalty or an image quality penalty due to the scaling on the Xbox side, I'd guess 1080P would provide a more pleasing amount of fill for the FW900.

(The FW900 has been estimated to have enough physical aperture grill stripes for about 1928 pixels across. Beyond that and probably short of that, allowing for error, there will be more logical pixels than physical pixels and the picture will soften. For Windows, I've been running mine at 1600 by 1024 to allow for errors and thus get sharper text. However, for games, a softer picture can be better. I ran the PC version of Halo at 2304 by 1440 to get some free anti-aliasing of a sort...)

Howdy All,

Well, my 2nd ("spare") FW900 has just been sitting around in my closet. And I'm considering selling it. I was going to keep it for parts in case my "perfect" one died. But, I think at this point, if my FW900 dies, I'll just go LCD until SED or some other technology comes around.

So, since there aren't a lot of these available for pickup on the west coast, I thought I'd give the folks here first crack at this. First, please do read the entire quote below which goes into a lot of honest detail about the condition of the monitor. As mentioned, it does have a small chip on the screen. But, as I say below, it's definitely tolerable for anyone that is less a.retentive than I am (and that's just about everyone).

So, if you're on the central coast of California and want to drop by to take a look, please PM me. $400 seems to be standard price on ebay right now for "flawless" ones. I'm thinking $200 for this one. Pick-up only.

So, to finish this up now that everything is resolved. . . my monitor arrived. Unfortunately, it had a chip in the glass:

closeup.jpg

far-blurry.jpg

As you can see, that second one is blurry because my arms don't make a good tripod. It's not the monitor, it's me. :D

The chip isn't terrible, but I'm pretty a. retentive about such things and I would notice it quite a bit with certain backgrounds. Over time though, I might have gotten used to it (like when there's dirt or smudges on your monitor). Looking at the back, it also had a MFR date of 2000 rather than 2002 as the auction indicated. Now, I can understand this since this monitor was sent out over a month after my initial payment (after the first two were "lost" by DHL). So, by then, they were apparently running very low on the genuine Sony models (no auctions up and somebody here posted that they had been told by Lou that they were out of the Sonys).

So, anyways, realizing that there was little hope of getting another Sony from Lou, I emailed them to see what they would like to do. I didn't expect a response before the end of the week. . so I went looking on eBay and snapped up this beauty which was within driving distance! I wish it had been there a month earlier!

After a tense 100-mile drive with this monitor in the trunk of my fiance's Jetta (darn doors wouldn't open wide enough to easily get it in the front seat). . . I now have an un-chipped screen and a perfect bezel (the one from Mainstream Global does have some marks on it). It looks like a brand new monitor!

Just now, I spoke to Lou. After talking things over and considering that neither of us really wanted to deal with shipping the chipped monitor again, he offered me a price adjustment and I accepted. It wasn't a lot. I'd call it "fair" considering the low price he's already offering for these monitors. In the end, I really can't blame Lou or Mainstream Global for DHL's problems. And, whenever I contacted them, they did the right thing. Though the monitor wasn't exactly as described, that may be due to the fact that they were sending me one of their last ones more than a month after the original purchase.

So, I now have a spare 24" monitor with a tiny chip in its screen on the floor behind me while I use my "perfect" FW900. Sadly, my desk isn't big enough for both of them (and then I'd have to try to ignore the "chip" on one of them). I must say, though, that other than the chip on the screen and the older manufacture date, I was happy with the "chipped one." The convergence and focus are nearly as good as my "perfect" other one (the blue gun is a little off on the right according to the grid, but it doesn't show up in text or images). I'll probably put it on Craig's List eventually. But, I'm really only interested in selling it to someone who won't need it shipped. I don't wanna ship this beast, and I want them to see the chip first and be sure that it's something they can tolerate (probably about 80% of the population won't mind it).

So, fifty days later, I finally have my perfect Sony FW900. And I have another one to sell or to use for spare parts/experimenting.

Best,

Hurin

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, General Cespin. So, you have no complaints about the quality of product you received from RAD Recycling? No screen scratches or diminished IQ?

I bought my FW900 from the Rad Recycling lady during the summer. I have a scratch, but it's only in the anti-glare coating, not in the glass. It's pretty much impossible to see 99% of the time. Besides, she'll probably let you look through a couple of them when you pick it up if you ask nice.

Nope, no screen scratches.

What should I look for with IQ, anything special? I haven't seen any problems so far, I've run through EVEREST's screen diagnostics thing and done some gaming, so far so good. :)

Good to hear, Crespin. Say, you wouldn't happen to have a link to EVEREST's screen diagnostics, would you?

has anyone tried to calibrate this monitor with a spyder?
i tried last night and its setting a white point of 6500 and making the picture look overly red/orange, bad red tinting even in the whites :(

if i set it to a white point of 9300 its much better, then i have to reset it and re-calibrate it by using quickgamma. it seems to be the only thing that is working for it, and gives it a really good picture.

anyone else have this happen to them? :confused:

Dunan I'm in the same bed as you I got the spyder2 (express) because I wanted to take tweaking the picture further with windas and got good results. Though if you're looking for something to help you goto avsforum and look up S2Fly and Colorimetre HCFR I just started using it but I like the results better than the spyder program.

cant search unless you sign up :mad:

gotta do what i gotta do :(

woot no i dont i found the stuff :cool: :cool:

Back