24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

How do scratches on the anti-glare coating appear? I can see some scratches, but how do i know if they are on the glass or on the coating? And how is it possible that the coating get scratched? It's behind the glass.

How do scratches on the anti-glare coating appear? I can see some scratches, but how do i know if they are on the glass or on the coating? And how is it possible that the coating get scratched? It's behind the glass.
You have it backwards. The coating is in front of the glass. There is nothing behind the glass but a vacuum (and eventually the electron gun).

Shoot. I hope its not the monitor. I dont think it is tho, cause if I use my brothers viewsonic a90f+ (which on his pc [windows XP, geforce 6600] is completely perfect with the falling squares) on my pc, it does the same thing.

I'm thinking video card, or something with motherboard.

Anyway if anyone has this same issue, do mention it. It's REALLY bothering.

no issues here with a gtx 285 and vista 64.

that is a very nice monitor test btw. thanks for the link.

the tests with the square and background was fund to mess with.

yet again i am amazed by the fw900. :)

It appears my FW900 is back from the dead... maybe. I purchased a refurb unit about 3 years ago. Unfortunately, it got the popping sound / snapping picture problem that so many in this thread have talked about and it eventually "died" after a few months. I can't remember what problems it exhibited when I considered it to be totally dead. It may have been stuck in a pinkish blurry state, but my memory is foggy.

Upon revisiting this thread I became pretty nostalgic for the FW900. I read about a couple of spontaneous bounce backs from issues, so I figured I'd try to plug the thing back in for the hell of it first time in years. Low and behold it turned right on. I plugged my XBox 360 in using a Microsoft Xbox 360 VGA cable, and I have to say that it looked great at 720p. For some reason 1080p didn't quite work right (I'm assuming the refresh rate isn't quite right for the monitor). It's been on for about 40 minutes and there has been no popping so far (fingers crossed).

Unfortunately, there appears to be something very wrong with the OSD. When I turned the unit on for the first time, there was no OSD at all. I cycled the power a few times and then I could get the OSD to come up, but it was extremely blurry / jumpy and unreadable. I did a very quick power cycle and it became readable, but with moving / dancing pixels on the edges of the OSD box and the text. Another power cycle made the OSD jumpy again. The picture remained fine while the OSD was unreadable.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a fix? Does this indicate that the monitor is doomed?

Last edited:
The OSD might be having trouble displaying while connected to a non-standard video source. Try it while connected to a computer at a more standard resolution.

Just a guess.

Phosphor trails, yes. But, not that big'a deal.

AFAIK, you're going to get distortion doing moire tests on any CRT. It's no big deal. In a similar way, you're never going to get an LCD perfectly correct over the whole color spectrum.

Displays are a world of give and take.

Im gonna try to see if i can get a camera shot or video of this to maybe explain it better.

Its just really easy to notice, even on the desktop when just moving the cursor around. its not all nice and smooth. so somethins up

Also, what kind of cable is everyone using? Any recommendations for good cable and adapter?

Last edited:
The OSD might be having trouble displaying while connected to a non-standard video source. Try it while connected to a computer at a more standard resolution.

Just a guess.

That was a worthwhile guess, but unfortunately I'm having the same problem now connected to my PC. I've tried several standard res/refresh rate combos.

I think you get waves on the moire test even with an LCD if you use a vga connection.

I have a q of my own though. If I hook a PS3 up to this monitor will I be allowed to watch blu-rays without copy protection issues?

I'm using a 10' DVI --> VGA cable, no adaptor. The cable was bought from monoprice.

Im gonna try to see if i can get a camera shot or video of this to maybe explain it better.

Its just really easy to notice, even on the desktop when just moving the cursor around. its not all nice and smooth. so somethins up

Also, what kind of cable is everyone using? Any recommendations for good cable and adapter?

I'm using a 10' DVI --> VGA cable, no adaptor. The cable was bought from monoprice.

i have one of these also and noticed the quality wasnt as good as my old trusty viewsonic analog cable ive had for 10 years...

i switched back to my old cable. i think the 10' length doesnt help as that leaves a lot of cable to be prone to interference.

Yes, you can definitely hook up a PS3 without any bluray copy protection problems. I use an HDFury version 1 blue for this very purpose and it works wonderfully. You can get one from monoprice.com for a reasonable $60 (I payed over $100 for mine before monoprice carried them : (

Does anyone who runs 32-bit vista notice anything?

Ive been doing a lot to try to find the problem...

Windows XP 32-bit SP3, geforce 6600 agp, 2.4ghz P4, 1gb pc800:
Viewsonic A90f+ = no problems (even up to 2232x1395)
FW900 = problems after 1024x768. lower seems fine

Windows Vista 32-bit SP1, geforce gtx280 or ati x800, 2.4 ghz amd athlon64 x2, 3gb pc3200:
A90f+ = problems after 1024x768. lower seems fine
FW900 = problems at any res
*Used different cards to make sure it wasnt video card, and even used each card on each of the 2 pci-express slots to make sure it wasnt those either.

Laptop with Windows Vista 32-bit SP1, geforce 7000m, 1.9ghz amd turion64 x2, 2gb ddr2
A90f+ = problems. only bothered with 1280x1024 and 1600x1200
FW900 = problems.

So 1. I do think something is up with my FW900
But 2. I think something is also up with Vista. Tho no one claims to be having issues, so it's either a 32 vs 64 bit thing, or the service pack.

Either way I'm gonna need to eBay this thing or get rid of it. It's so very annoying when playing GTA4 and rotating and seeing a single lamp post turn into 3, with the ones on the left and right side being slightly transparent.

Things also arent too sharp and i think things are a little dull compared to my A90f+

I feel like im missing out on what my FW900 SHOULD be

If anyone wants to buy it for whatever reason, let me know and ill mention when its up for auction.

^ im assuming you have tried different cables, power outlets and physical location of the monitor? and make sure u have a nice power cable feeding juice to the fw900. just some thoughts

you really don't say exactly what issues you are having?

ive been using 64bit vista since last fall without issue on my fw900. im hooked up on input 1. i am not using bnc cables.

Just bought two of these 6ft VGA SVGA HD15 to 5BNC 5-BNC Video Cable RGB RGBHV for my GDM400PS 19" and FW900 24".

I'll report on how they work as soon as they arrive.

I'm not saying that cable will not work good but if you read up on them they are a bit of a con.

They have long thin cables at end that are totally unshielded, better quality ones are a lot thicker and shielded further up to near ends.

To use that with Windows it will need all set up manually as it will not be fully detected and set up unlike VGA or DVI.

Added to the fact if you read this complete thread you will be none the wiser if BNC is actually better quality than VGA as nobody has said for 100% sure.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for a FW900 in North Carolina close to Raleigh. PM me if you have one for sell or if you see one.

It appears my FW900 is back from the dead... maybe. I purchased a refurb unit about 3 years ago. Unfortunately, it got the popping sound / snapping picture problem that so many in this thread have talked about and it eventually "died" after a few months. I can't remember what problems it exhibited when I considered it to be totally dead. It may have been stuck in a pinkish blurry state, but my memory is foggy.

Upon revisiting this thread I became pretty nostalgic for the FW900. I read about a couple of spontaneous bounce backs from issues, so I figured I'd try to plug the thing back in for the hell of it first time in years. Low and behold it turned right on. I plugged my XBox 360 in using a Microsoft Xbox 360 VGA cable, and I have to say that it looked great at 720p. For some reason 1080p didn't quite work right (I'm assuming the refresh rate isn't quite right for the monitor). It's been on for about 40 minutes and there has been no popping so far (fingers crossed).

Unfortunately, there appears to be something very wrong with the OSD. When I turned the unit on for the first time, there was no OSD at all. I cycled the power a few times and then I could get the OSD to come up, but it was extremely blurry / jumpy and unreadable. I did a very quick power cycle and it became readable, but with moving / dancing pixels on the edges of the OSD box and the text. Another power cycle made the OSD jumpy again. The picture remained fine while the OSD was unreadable.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a fix? Does this indicate that the monitor is doomed?

The monitor has some other issues that have surfaced. It won't track resolution changes a lot of the time. Example: while booting into windows, it will usually detect the bios/bootup, but then go dark when it hits either my dual boot loader or the windows loading screen. The solution is to turn the monitor off and then back on again.

I guess the good news is that being able to at least use this monitor again has proven to me how much better it is than a 5ms LCD for gaming. That being the case, I've gone ahead and bought one from Uncle Vito. :).

^ im assuming you have tried different cables, power outlets and physical location of the monitor? and make sure u have a nice power cable feeding juice to the fw900. just some thoughts

you really don't say exactly what issues you are having?

ive been using 64bit vista since last fall without issue on my fw900. im hooked up on input 1. i am not using bnc cables.

I have tried different cables. Moving the monitor isnt really much of an option right now, but im really sure thats not it. I'll try different outlets, but again im sure that wont fix it.

As for a "nice" power cable, do u have any recommendations? I'm just using the cable that came with it. And i would think most computer/monitor power cables are very similar.

And if you go back a page, i kinda try to explain my issues, but its really hard to explain. i tried taking a picture and video of my monitor, but my camera cant capture something happening that fast. I guess it's like a low response time that lcds have?, but without pixel blur, so its clear. Also did u look at the eizo test? the speed part is what im talking about.

Its kinda like where if you move the mouse cursor from side to side real fast, you see the multiple cursors, cause the monitor cant show THAT fast of movement, but for me its with even with things as slow as 400 pixels/sec and even slower for horizontal movement.

I'm still working diligently on this so i can give you guys a proper explanation. Maybe ill just make a little picture in photoshop of what it would look like.

Does anyone know what else (besides cable) might be causing whites to shine really bright? If I have my desktop background all black and have a window with white in it it lights up around the borders of the window causing the overall brightness to increase (at least it appears so). I've lowered G2 and get a nice deep black and am running the monitor through a single-cable DVI-Analog to 5BNC @ 6ft ($30 cable from bluejeanscable).

The only windas adjustments ive done so far have been G2 and some procedures that helped w/ the geometry. I'm afraid to run the white point balance adjustment procedure as the colors are damn good just not liking how whites cause the screen to "light up" in certain areas.

Its kinda like where if you move the mouse cursor from side to side real fast, you see the multiple cursors, cause the monitor cant show THAT fast of movement, but for me its with even with things as slow as 400 pixels/sec and even slower for horizontal movement.

I am running both WinXP SP3 and Vista SP1 on a machine that is connected to a GDM-F520, (21 inch rather than 24 inch), and I have no problems at any resolution. Both are 32 bit versions. I have run the 64 bit version on the same display with no problems either. I really doubt that it is the OS, more like the graphics card and or device drivers. I would get a more up to date graphics card for Vista. It needs the extra horsepower. I am running a Geforce 8600. I updated from a 7600 when I first started running Vista, because the 7600 was not maken it. Go look at your performance score on the graphics card.

Dave

Does anyone know what else (besides cable) might be causing whites to shine really bright? If I have my desktop background all black and have a window with white in it it lights up around the borders of the window causing the overall brightness to increase (at least it appears so). I've lowered G2 and get a nice deep black and am running the monitor through a single-cable DVI-Analog to 5BNC @ 6ft ($30 cable from bluejeanscable).

The only windas adjustments ive done so far have been G2 and some procedures that helped w/ the geometry. I'm afraid to run the white point balance adjustment procedure as the colors are damn good just not liking how whites cause the screen to "light up" in certain areas.

From what I know, thats just crts. Same thing tho with lcds that have a shiny coating. So i think its just from internal reflection. Do correct me if im wrong tho, id love to have a fix for that myself.

I am running both WinXP SP3 and Vista SP1 on a machine that is connected to a GDM-F520, (21 inch rather than 24 inch), and I have no problems at any resolution. Both are 32 bit versions. I have run the 64 bit version on the same display with no problems either. I really doubt that it is the OS, more like the graphics card and or device drivers. I would get a more up to date graphics card for Vista. It needs the extra horsepower. I am running a Geforce 8600. I updated from a 7600 when I first started running Vista, because the 7600 was not maken it. Go look at your performance score on the graphics card.

Dave

Well i have a gtx280, so that shouldnt be it. Besides, its a *little* better on my xp with 6600 which is not as good.

Im gonna go head off now tho and unplug everything in the basement and mess around with locations of things.

Yes, you can definitely hook up a PS3 without any bluray copy protection problems. I use an HDFury version 1 blue for this very purpose and it works wonderfully.
hm well that doesn't quite answer the question, because HDFury can deal with the copy protection. Is it the only way to connect a PS3 to the FW900 ?

I have bad news: another FW900 in this world is doomed. My X-Ray apparatus showed the ticking-out-of-focus issue for the first time. Then there was a stronger out-of-focus with a louder band and from then on it was fine again until the next power-on. From what I can say, it's only when it warms up.
Is there any chance that it survives for a couple of years or do I have to expect death within the next weeks or months?

You could try getting a component video to RGB transcoder, but that will probably cost you as much as getting a HDFury anyway, so you might as well get the HDFury instead. Also, the RGB transcoder route will be limited to the maximum component video output at progressive, which will probably be 720p.

I use a HDFury and it works fine, with two caveats:
1. 1080p has cropped image data on the sides. I use 720p without any image loss. It's just as well since most games render internally at 720p anyhow.

2. No gamma correction is provided. This is a side effect of the transcoding step. I use an external box for gamma correction. You need this if you want to see shadow detail and avoid crushing. If you don't care that much, you can probably live w/out gamma correction, but you'll have to jack up the brightness to see everything and it'll wash out.

The HDMI output is protected even when playing games, so it's not just Blu-ray movies.

I have bad news: another FW900 in this world is doomed. My X-Ray apparatus showed the ticking-out-of-focus issue for the first time. Then there was a stronger out-of-focus with a louder band and from then on it was fine again until the next power-on. From what I can say, it's only when it warms up.
Is there any chance that it survives for a couple of years or do I have to expect death within the next weeks or months?

There are a couple posts in this thread claiming that the problem stopped without the monitor being ruined. My popping issue seems to have stopped as well, but I've got other problems now which may or may not have been caused by the popping issue.

Anyone know of any HDCP-compliant boxes that work perfectly with 1080p, have gamma correction, a DVI or HDMI input and preferably a 5-BNC output (If not, VGA is fine)?

A box that interpolates 24p material to be viewed at, say, 72 or 96 Hz would be interesting as well. I don't know if anything does that.

In general, what options are there for hooking up this monitor?

I picked up this dvi-bnc cable here
http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID4466716&partno=00679&search=DVI_CABLE&rsite=pccables.comcgi&rcode=
And it works great. Really makes it look sharper then the dvi-vga and vga cable. Now I just have to figure out what rez i can run 100-120 hz for the 3d vision shutterglasses i just got. Im able to do 1900x1080@100hz but would like to try 120. It gives me an option in Nvidia control panel for 1900x1200@100hz but monitor says out of range. What has been the sucess @ 120hz higher rez on these puppies?

1536 x 960 @120 Hz is a neat resolution. Horizontal Scanning Frequency Required (With Estimated Retrace) is 118.2 KHz, the monitor allows 121 KHz in theory.
Please tell us about your results with the nvidia 3D vision :)

This is a box that supports 1080p/72Hz but it costs $335 : http://www.curtpalme.com/EXT-FULLHD.shtm
HDFury2 has, afaik, gamma correction and an optional BNC connector.

I picked up this dvi-bnc cable here
http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID4466716&partno=00679&search=DVI_CABLE&rsite=pccables.comcgi&rcode=
And it works great. Really makes it look sharper then the dvi-vga and vga cable. Now I just have to figure out what rez i can run 100-120 hz for the 3d vision shutterglasses i just got. Im able to do 1900x1080@100hz but would like to try 120. It gives me an option in Nvidia control panel for 1900x1200@100hz but monitor says out of range. What has been the sucess @ 120hz higher rez on these puppies?

Going by peeps comment sin this thread I would say the BNC is no better its a Placebo effect esp as most have long thin unshielded tails.

The max for 1920x1200 is 96HZ for the Monitor to be in range.

Hi I just bought this fw900 from AIT a couple months ago but somebody close to me is selling one with no scratches on it for about the same price. It works beautiful everything looks right no coloration no convergence probs(except close to edges where it's expected) my only reason for selling is the completely scratched up bezel and the screen has some scratches on it too. I'll try to get a pic up that can show the screen scratches they are very small/hairlike but they still get on my nerves. I'm asking $300 obo. It still has 3 or 4 months left on the warranty. I'll put it up in the for sale section next.

030.jpg

Back