21" Sun GDM 5410 FD Trinitron vs. 3x Samsung - Odyssey 50a 27” IPS 165hz in portrait mode @4320x2560 165hz

Thanks 😊. I truly wish I could move onto the larger OLED screen but it simply doesn't offer enough benefit to ME to make the switch. The only true advantage is screen size and frankly after a half hour on a 22in crt your brain adjusts to the smaller screen. That said, OLED is as close as it gets as a crt replacement but it's simply not there yet for my personal use case.
I don't really blame you. LG has gone backward in their support for BFI. Samsung monitors support BFI but not without a high amount of input lag that makes it unusable (like really what's the point?). If I had a fully functional 22-inch CRT like you then I'd still be using it too.

I don't really blame you. LG has gone backward in their support for BFI. Samsung monitors support BFI but not without a high amount of input lag that makes it unusable (like really what's the point?). If I had a fully functional 22-inch CRT like you then I'd still be using it too.
Something else I'm currently doing that I've never done in the past is running the monitors at higher resolutions than they can actually resolve. It took me a while to convince myself no harm, no foul as far as the unit itself is concerned and I'm glad I did. I'm currently using my Sun GDM-5410 at 2560x1920@75hz. The result is an image so clean of any aliasing that in game AA is moot. I don't exaggerate when I say the image of my crt beats the image on my OLED hands down for SDR gaming. Period! There's no competition. The lack of aliasing combined with that soft crt presentation cannot be beat. Throw in zero motion blur and it's game over! I'm not here to convince anyone as we are all way past that stage in 2023. All I'm saying is that in my own personal experience and for my own personal use case CRT is still king!

Last edited:
I really wish more people would see it this way. For all its faults CRT still has some “package” advantages for those who appreciate them. Here’s to hoping OLED BFI becomes a thing for PC monitors.
I'm really tired of being on this hamster wheel of always chasing the next best thing when it comes to monitor tech. Oled while quite good is really not the answer for me. If only we could have another self emissive display with the soft image of a crt, instant response time, inky blacks, and ultimately get away from sample and hold entirely.

Thanks 😊. I truly wish I could move onto the larger OLED screen but it simply doesn't offer enough benefit to ME to make the switch. The only true advantage is screen size and frankly after a half hour on a 22in crt your brain adjusts to the smaller screen. That said, OLED is as close as it gets as a crt replacement but it's simply not there yet for my personal use case.
Yeah, it's crazy how I can jump between my 48" OLED and my 21" CRT and you forget the size difference after like 10 minutes. This is even on the edge cases where a game doesn't support 4:3 and it displays 16:9 letterboxed. Which comes out to something like an 18" screen

Yeah, it's crazy how I can jump between my 48" OLED and my 21" CRT and you forget the size difference after like 10 minutes. This is even on the edge cases where a game doesn't support 4:3 and it displays 16:9 letterboxed. Which comes out to something like an 18" screen
I was just playing Far Cry 4 and it does exactly that and I always prefer my crt rather than playing on the 48in C2 oled. I actually spent about 2 hours with FC4 today on the crt and never once felt the desire to go back to the larger screen 🙃

Just picked up a Cornerstone P1600 22" crt from a private owner. Gotta drive from Memphis TN to Pittsburgh PA tp pick it up. Purchasing from a retired couple who owned some kind of floral shop. They have no idea what they have and the unit is a mint Hitachi tube that does 1920x1440, dot pitch 0.21 mm horizontal and 0.20 mm vertical with 21.5 in viewable screen. No freaking way am I shipping this unit. I figure that tube can go way beyond 1920x1440 so very happy to snag this one. Will post some pics once I get it home.

Last edited:
Something else I'm currently doing that I've never done in the past is running the monitors at higher resolutions than they can actually resolve. It took me a while to convince myself no harm, no foul as far as the unit itself is concerned and I'm glad I did. I'm currently using my Sun GDM-5410 at 2560x1920@75hz. The result is an image so clean of any aliasing that in game AA is moot. I don't exaggerate when I say the image of my crt beats the image on my OLED hands down for SDR gaming. Period! There's no competition. The lack of aliasing combined with that soft crt presentation cannot be beat. Throw in zero motion blur and it's game over! I'm not here to convince anyone as we are all way past that stage in 2023. All I'm saying is that in my own personal experience and for my own personal use case CRT is still king!
Can you explain how you are getting 2560x1920@75hz out of that monitor? The calculator I use says that would require 144khz horizontal, but that monitor only does 121khz. Are you using interlacing or something?

Hi. Long term (since mid 2000s) FW900 on the gaming rig user, and I'm also addicted. I was told recognizing you have an addiction is the first step :D . I always try to look for threads like this because of the FW900's finite life even though I sometimes go weeks without using it, its time will come. Sad that in 2023, we still don't have a proper replacement. To be fair, CRT took over half a century to advance itself. I'll admit it's been 5+ years I've tested a new screen next to the CRT, but the input lag is a real threat...to those that notice it. The CRT softness...there simply is nothing like it other than, perhaps, having an 8k or 12k OLED 30" monitor right in front of us. Soon perhaps?

Can you explain how you are getting 2560x1920@75hz out of that monitor? The calculator I use says that would require 144khz horizontal, but that monitor only does 121khz. Are you using interlacing or something?
Yes. That resolution is being downscaled by the gpu so it's not really outputting the actual resolution. So my error in stating that I'm actually running that particular resolution.

Hi. Long term (since mid 2000s) FW900 on the gaming rig user, and I'm also addicted. I was told recognizing you have an addiction is the first step :D . I always try to look for threads like this because of the FW900's finite life even though I sometimes go weeks without using it, its time will come. Sad that in 2023, we still don't have a proper replacement. To be fair, CRT took over half a century to advance itself. I'll admit it's been 5+ years I've tested a new screen next to the CRT, but the input lag is a real threat...to those that notice it. The CRT softness...there simply is nothing like it other than, perhaps, having an 8k or 12k OLED 30" monitor right in front of us. Soon perhaps?
Quite frankly, Ive gotten tired of this hamster wheel of always looking for something to replace my crts. I've decided I'm staying with "the glass" as Unkle Vito would say for the long haul. In the past 60 days I've picked up both an HP P1230 and just this morning a Sony CPD-520. I've got 5 PRISTINE 22in crts now in my collection and that should keep me GTG for the foreseeable future.

I'll admit it's been 5+ years I've tested a new screen next to the CRT, but the input lag is a real threat
have you tested the LG OLED C1, with something called latency boost setting enabled os latency mode set to "boost" inside its game mode "game optimizer" setting?

have you tested the LG OLED C1, with something called latency boost setting enabled os latency mode set to "boost" inside its game mode "game optimizer" setting?
I have not, but good to know on that setting!

may be worth you to test it if input lag is your main and only concern coming from CRT pc monitor to OLED, asuming C1 is still available and you are in a country where you can buy and test a TV and return it in case it didnt meet your likes.

however when itested the C1, i was not able to enable latency "boost" settings while enabling oled motion pro (BFI) to improve motion quality on the C1, so if you want all the goodies in one modern monitor or TV package like a CRT pc monitor: image quality, brightness, latency. motion quality at any refresh rate, blacks, viewing angles, etc, im afraid we still have to stick with CRT who knows for how long after very long wait, if not forever.

by the way i mistyped the word "os" in my previous post, dont be confused with "operating system" word, what i meant was, the setting is called latency boost "OR" latency mode set to "boost", which is inside the C1 game mode "game optimizer" setting of the C1 options menu

Last edited:
may be worth you to test it if input lag is your main and only concern coming from CRT pc monitor to OLED, asuming C1 is still available and you are in a country where you can buy and test a TV and return it in case it didnt meet your likes.

however when itested the C1, i was not able to enable latency "boost" settings while enabling oled motion pro (BFI) to improve motion quality on the C1, so if you want all the goodies in one modern monitor or TV package like a CRT pc monitor: image quality, brightness, latency. motion quality at any refresh rate, blacks, viewing angles, etc, im afraid we still have to stick with CRT who knows for how long after very long wait, if not forever.

by the way i mistyped the word "os" in my previous post, dont be confused with "operating system" word, what i meant was, the setting is called latency boost "OR" latency mode set to "boost", which is inside the C1 game mode "game optimizer" setting of the C1 options menu
This is referring to the feature that puts 60Hz into a 120Hz envelope to reduce latency? If so, the answer is to run at 120Hz, where that feature is N/A anyway. Or at least that's what I was going to say until I remembered the C2 dropped 120Hz BFI... :(

Dual screen approach reserving the CRTs for gaming certainly ain't a bad way to go though.

This is referring to the feature that puts 60Hz into a 120Hz envelope to reduce latency? If so, the answer is to run at 120Hz, where that feature is N/A anyway. Or at least that's what I was going to say until I remembered the C2 dropped 120Hz BFI..

ohh i see, yes, like you said, on this C1 vs C2 comparision there is some interesting explanations on how that latency "boost" feature works, by clicking on "Show text" under input lag section of their test. there is an explanation text: "Boost' setting consistently lowers the input lag by about 3 ms when the TV is running 60Hz compared to the LG CX OLED. It works by sending a 120Hz signal to refresh the screen more frequently, meaning it doesn't affect 120Hz input lag"

i did that test on 60hz 60fps fighting game only, not at 120hz by the way

also they said as for the C2 that latency "boost" feature also exist on the C2 but was not working properly on initial firmware:
"Setting Prevent Input Delay to 'Boost' reduces the input lag by 2-3ms. This wasn't working properly with the initial firmware but has been fixed as of firmware 03.11.35."

i dont know if firmware upgrade on those LG TVs are mandatory since i did that test on a friends TV some time ago, i dont own an OLED myself, but may be worth then for C2 users to upgrade their firmware if havent done so.

Last edited:
Back