2018 SETI-Wow! Event

When running a shortcut for one instances I get "No usable gpu's found" in the eventlog. weird.
Linux ? I needed to start boinc manual with path to the executable ... It has something to do with the environment. It drove me crazy last year. But finally worked. How exactly are you starting boinc ? And is the first “instance” stopped ?

yeah i really don't know on this one. Maybe someone else can chime in?

I'm sure they will. No biggie. If I need to I'll run some more instances. So far my main rig has 1100 to work through. I'll be doing the same tomorrow on my i7 in the Linux box.

Linux ? I needed to start boinc manual with path to the executable ... It has something to do with the environment. It drove me crazy last year. But finally worked. How exactly are you starting boinc ? And is the first “instance” stopped ?

Windows.

I am running the batch file in each directory. It runs another Boinc executable using a very small amount of ram and then lets me connect with BOINC Tasks.

To test for Motq, I ran a shortcut to one of the BOINC folders and then read it's event log.

I got my Q8200 box setup for SETI. No bunker though. It will have 2x GTX660's in it. Got the lunatics apps installed and testing now. I need to get my 3930k with the 2x 970Ti's set up for it. Gonna be a tight weekend for hobby work though.

Hey fastgeek, are you joining in on this one? If so, you may want to start preparing as you could actually be bunkering now with the right setup. Either way, it would be a good time to dial in the optimized applications and such. You have to actually sign yourself up for this event to partake.

Hey fastgeek, are you joining in on this one? If so, you may want to start preparing as you could actually be bunkering now with the right setup. Either way, it would be a good time to dial in the optimized applications and such. You have to actually sign yourself up for this event to partake.

There are optimized apps for SETI?

About 2 weeks ago I made 13 instances of BOINC on my PC and downloaded 1300 tasks. THEN about a week later I installed the optimized seti app. Come to find out that it will error out all the tasks you currently have downloaded AND completed because it removes the exe's for the project into a different folder. Live and learn, I guess. So here I am crunching them again.

About 2 weeks ago I made 13 instances of BOINC on my PC and downloaded 1300 tasks. THEN about a week later I installed the optimized seti app. Come to find out that it will error out all the tasks you currently have downloaded AND completed because it removes the exe's for the project into a different folder. Live and learn, I guess. So here I am crunching them again.

Thanks for the warning! i was just thinking about doing this and i have almost 4k tasks completed :eek:

Thanks for the warning! i was just thinking about doing this and i have almost 4k tasks completed :eek:

You have to install the optimized code to each boinc instance. So you could always make new ones and then install the optimized code there for new tasks.

Couldn't you just copy the executables and config files manually?

Couldn't you just copy the executables and config files manually?

Not sure. My method used was I downloaded seti tasks, then ran them to completion. Then you mentioned the optimized apps, so I downloaded and installed it into each BOINC instance I have. This install changes the exe's in the folder. So seti will use the optimized ones. Then when loading those instances again, in Boinc Tasks, the tasks completed under the currently missing exe's error out, even if already 100%.

Copying back the exe's might prevent them from erroring out, but I feel it would cause some issues with the optimized app.

No..I meant not having to "install" the optimized application to each client as I thought that is what you said you had to do for them.

No..I meant not having to "install" the optimized application to each client as I thought that is what you said you had to do for them.

I'm not sure. I opted for the exe.. there may have been a zip file instead, I don't know.

Having some issues getting multiple instances up and running any better guides out there? Also what is the max tasks allowed for Seti? Sorry I'm slow with this stuff these days, having two kids under 2 and a half really limits the window to get stuff like this done. Don't have the amount of tinkering time that I used to.

tayunz, I'm in your boat with the kids.

Seti limits you to 1,000 tasks per GPU and 1,000 for CPU IIRC. GPU's will most likely chew through those quickly which is why it is important to have additional clients working with the GPU's or having additional OS installs that can be booted up.

tayunz, I'm in your boat with the kids.

Seti limits you to 1,000 tasks per GPU and 1,000 for CPU IIRC. GPU's will most likely chew through those quickly which is why it is important to have additional clients working with the GPU's or having additional OS installs that can be booted up.
Okay thanks! Will try to tinker with it later today. Have a bunch of GPUs that I'm trying to get online for this one.

CPU limit per Boinc instance is 100. GPU, I don't know. I never had any luck getting each new instance to detect my GPU.

Having some issues getting multiple instances up and running any better guides out there? Also what is the max tasks allowed for Seti? Sorry I'm slow with this stuff these days, having two kids under 2 and a half really limits the window to get stuff like this done. Don't have the amount of tinkering time that I used to.

What are your issues? I followed the guide and have 14 running currently. I'll run more when these tasks complete.

I don't know any different guides, but what's the issue? Maybe we can figure it out.

I couldn't figure out how to do it with Linux.

I couldn't figure out how to do it with Linux.
CV posted a linux setup guide.

In linux, have to sudo apt-get several missing lib/dependency in order to "make" the exe file.

Got it running (see below without computer name) but then I realized that 100 GPU tasks get chewed up pretty fast with optimized apps.
upload_2018-8-5_13-17-17.png

Last edited:
I could not find that. Looks easy enough. I wss taking a windows approach and trying to just copy the projects to a new directory, but running boinc as a daemon I wasnt sure how to start the second instance.

Ill try tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Haven't run CPU for some time. On 1080 with no power limit and at stock speed, it is about 37K PPD with optimized apps. With 100 GPU tasks, a 1080 will complete this in about 3.6 hours.

upload_2018-8-5_14-25-6.png

So I really should be screwing around with VMs to bunker more than 100 GPU tasks on each rig?

Haven't run CPU for some time. On 1080 with no power limit and at stock speed, it is about 37K PPD with optimized apps. With 100 GPU tasks, a 1080 will complete this in about 3.6 hours.

View attachment 94235
Also, the updated Cuda app is Linux only right? Or am I running the wrong app for my 1080 in windows? My 1080 is taking around 4 minutes per task at stock. Sorry, I have all AMD cards so I haven't really figured the 1080 out yet.

Also, the updated Cuda app is Linux only right
Yes. This is the combo that gives the best PPD. Windows optimized apps is a slower than Linux optimized apps.
Sorry, I have all AMD cards
Those AMD older gen cards (if you have them) are good for Milkyway due to better double precision floating point performance.

Yes. This is the combo that gives the best PPD. Windows optimized apps is a slower than Linux optimized apps.

Those AMD older gen cards (if you have them) are good for Milkyway due to better double precision floating point performance.
Yeah, I have a lot of MilkyWay work under my belt. Though they seem to do okay with the optimized apps for Seti.

Last edited:
So I really should be screwing around with VMs to bunker more than 100 GPU tasks on each rig?

don't think you will be able to run gpu tasks in VM. I am having the GPU issue on one of my rigs but not on the other with multiboinc. gonna try to figure out why.

Edit: i can't figure it out.....

Last edited:
So out of 3 systems, 2 of them when i create a new boinc instance will detect the GPU and 1 of them will not. The two that are working both have multiple GPU's installed. I don't know if its related but maybe someone else can chime in on this? i checked all the configs etc and they seem the same...

So out of 3 systems, 2 of them when i create a new boinc instance will detect the GPU and 1 of them will not. The two that are working both have multiple GPU's installed. I don't know if its related but maybe someone else can chime in on this? i checked all the configs etc and they seem the same...

So, if you have 2 GPUs will THREE instances all detect the GPU? Maybe each instance reserves a GPU and the next one cannot see it.

So, if you have 2 GPUs will THREE instances all detect the GPU? Maybe each instance reserves a GPU and the next one cannot see it.

Yes even with 3+ running at same time no issues. Also on the one that doesn't work when i launch it , the list of available projects doesn't populate anything....

Yes even with 3+ running at same time no issues. Also on the one that doesn't work when i launch it , the list of available projects doesn't populate anything....

Well THATS weird. I run each instance from within BoincTasks so maybe mine would do the same, not sure.

I don't bunker (sorry guys), but I am currently passively bunkering SETI tasks. As of last night, I set up all my rigs to do 100% SETI work and so far I have ~1300 WU's awaiting validation. I imagine that large number is due to the large number of bunkers being built out there for the event and I will see a sudden surge in validations once everyone drops their loads. So, while I am not bunkering directly, this is a type of bunkering, I think.

I don't bunker (sorry guys), but I am currently passively bunkering SETI tasks. As of last night, I set up all my rigs to do 100% SETI work and so far I have ~1300 WU's awaiting validation. I imagine that large number is due to the large number of bunkers being built out there for the event and I will see a sudden surge in validations once everyone drops their loads. So, while I am not bunkering directly, this is a type of bunkering, I think.

Yeah it is and this project seems to be slow to validate alot of the time due to long deadlines

Up to ~2200 tasks awaiting validation now. I still don’t even have TR #3 online yet. This is going to be fun!

Still waiting on the CPU. Supposed to arrive today (great price, but slow shipping), but I am out of town until Monday. I plan to build it Monday evening and have it crunching SETI by Tuesday morning at the latest.

Back