2012 MacPro

Thunderbolt isn't really possible when you have no integrated graphics (and you have PCIe slots to work with, so who cares). Native USB 3 isn't possible with the current Intel chipsets, so you can't blame Apple on that one either. As for the GPU, easily replaced and the case is a subjective thing.

No USB 3 is a joke any way you look at it. Don't yet buy the usefulness of thunderbolt so no harm there but no USB is pathetic.

Supported resolutions: 2880 by 1800 pixels (Retina); scaled resolutions: 1920 by 1200, 1680 by 1050, 1280 by 800, and 1024 by 640 pixels

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache

MagSafe 2 power port
Two Thunderbolt ports (up to 10 Gbps)
Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
HDMI port
Headphone port
SDXC card slot
Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (sold separately)
Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (sold separately, available July)

Whats the price of that new Pro? Whats the price for the equivalent display of : 2880 by 1800 pixels (Retina)?

Thunderbolt isn't really possible when you have no integrated graphics (and you have PCIe slots to work with, so who cares).

So, let me go out an get a Thunderbolt - PCI card. Oh wait... I do understand the point though, there are high speed data ports on it. However, when I drop this kind of cash on a system, I expect it to have the latest I/O on it. I could see it not being on the 2010, but its been over a year since its release and it is on the rest of the line. I think there was ample time for Apple to make it happen.

Native USB 3 isn't possible with the current Intel chipsets, so you can't blame Apple on that one either.

Dell has done the impossible then

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/Dell-Precision-T7600-Spec-Sheet.pdf

I know it can be fixed with a PCI card. However, for a computer that sees an update every 1.5 to 2 years, they should have added it on.

As for the GPU, easily replaced and the case is a subjective thing.

And pay through the nose for a Mac compatible card. All I wanted was a modern card, not one that I would look to replace as I get the system. Also, a 2.5 year old card on a 3,800 $ tower - wow.

Last edited:
So, let me go out an get a Thunderbolt - PCI card. Oh wait... I do understand the point though, there are high speed data ports on it. However, when I drop this kind of cash on a system, I expect it to have the latest I/O on it. I could see it not being on the 2010, but its been over a year since its release and it is on the rest of the line. I think there was ample time for Apple to make it happen.
Thunderbolt is PCIe x4 + DisplayPort. You have plenty of PCIe slots in a Mac Pro...don't see the issue. It's nice for laptops, but hardly necessary in a workstation. Like I also said, it is not possible to have it on there. This is something that is out of Apple's control.
Dell has done the impossible then

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/Dell-Precision-T7600-Spec-Sheet.pdf

I know it can be fixed with a PCI card. However, for a computer that sees an update every 1.5 to 2 years, they should have added it on.
It's not native. Like I stated before, native USB 3 is not possible. You can either have USB 3 through an expansion card or by rerouting some PCIe lanes to a USB 3 controller on the motherboard itself (which is what Dell has done and has been commonplace on desktop boards until the H77/Z77/etc chipsets).
And pay through the nose for a Mac compatible card. All I wanted was a modern card, not one that I would look to replace as I get the system. Also, a 2.5 year old card on a 3,800 $ tower - wow.
If Apple decided to put in a higher end GPU as the base option, it would come with a higher price tag, so I don't really see the issue there either.

Are they selling the old ACD with the "new" Pro's? Or is it the Thunderbolt display. The store page just calls it the Apple Display, where on the Air page for example, it's the Thunderbolt display.

Are they selling the old ACD with the "new" Pro's? Or is it the Thunderbolt display. The store page just calls it the Apple Display, where on the Air page for example, it's the Thunderbolt display.

It's the ACD w/ MiniDisplay Port. They still offer that.

To me this is just a CPU change probably due to supply/pricing changes from Intel. Either it's dying a slow death or they are currently doing a big redesign.

Last edited:

Based on this update, I suspect a CRT.

Thunderbolt isn't really possible when you have no integrated graphics (and you have PCIe slots to work with, so who cares). Native USB 3 isn't possible with the current Intel chipsets, so you can't blame Apple on that one either. As for the GPU, easily replaced and the case is a subjective thing.

The USB 3.0 excuse is simple that, an excuse. It is easily added via an onboard controller (Apple custom designs their boards usually anyways, what is one more controller?) plus if they upgraded to one of the latest Ivy Bridge Intel chipsets they could have had two USB 3.0 ports natively supported.

How do you propose that they use a single socket chipset on a dual socket board? The C6xx series chipsets have no native USB 3 support (and are the latest generation at only a few months old). If USB 3 is that important, just use an add-in card...no different than having it on board (and non-native).

It seems to me that Apple is focusing on the Macbook Pro for their main workstation computer, and I think it's the right move for the audience they are targeting. You get desktop power on a mobile computer, and you can set it up as a desktop workstation with external monitors when you're at home. This is the exact usage scenario for me, and it works great.

For those that complain about the price, I believe they are misunderstanding how the system is supposed to be used. It's designed for professionals to use as a tool to do their work. In the grand scheme of things, the almost $3000 you can spend on a new machine is a drop in the bucket for people working in fields such as photography, video editing, design, etc...

That's just my opinion.

Yeah... I was thinking this morning... The Retina MBP I have on the way is basically a portable version of my (currently top-of-the-line) iMac. Higher res... Geekbench is real close to the 3.4GHz Quad in the iMac. 512GB SSD..iMac has 256GB SSD. One friend of mine is thinking seriously of just replacing his iMac with a 27" ACD and using his ordered rMBP for portable and desktop.

For those that complain about the price, I believe they are misunderstanding how the system is supposed to be used. It's designed for professionals to use as a tool to do their work. In the grand scheme of things, the almost $3000 you can spend on a new machine is a drop in the bucket for people working in fields such as photography, video editing, design, etc...

The price makes perfect sense for design & photography professionals but I'm willing to bet that's a very small proportion of people who buy Macbooks. Most people use them for web browsing and watching videos while pretending to be doing something productive sitting in Starbucks.

The price makes perfect sense for design & photography professionals but I'm willing to bet that's a very small proportion of people who buy Macbooks. Most people use them for web browsing and watching videos while pretending to be doing something productive sitting in Starbucks.

And a lot of Ferraris never see a race track. So what? Don't downplay what some of us actually do with the systems. And these days at Starbucks (my home away from home for work) you primarily see Airs.

And a lot of Ferraris never see a race track. So what? Don't downplay what some of us actually do with the systems. And these days at Starbucks (my home away from home for work) you primarily see Airs.

He was just saying what people generally tend to do with the systems. I can name literally 30 people I know that check their email with their Mac Air's after being all high and mighty when it came to purchasing them. Also yes, they do nothing at Starbucks with them as well. It's almost as if people want to be recognized as "those people that have an Apple product". Don't get me wrong here, I love the Apple line-up of products, have an iPhone and iPad. It's just difficult for me to picture what's going on in someones head to make them think that owning a computer with an apple logo on it is all of a sudden "awesome". Half of the people I know with an apple computer always rub it in my face, as if it's the best thing in the world. Then I point to my M6 sitting outside their house. I hate people.

Now if you pulled up in a BMW 750Li or a Mercedes S63, that's a different story. They cost as much as a small house. But a $1,200 computer? C'mon people.

I work with large color presses and other design equipment in a rural area of about 300,000 people. I can recognize most of the people from all the print shops.

When i go to starbucks and see nothing but macbooks, none of them are being used by the people i know.

Apple has made it's product a status symbol, it was Jobs' way. I predict in the future they will change a bit, and lose that status, and head back down from where they came from.

So wait. If they have a MacBook it's a status symbol. If they have a nice Thinkpad it's a tool? That right? Or do you only notice the silver MacBooks in the sea of boring black PC notebooks?

Macs aren't just for graphics geeks now. Most of the engineers I work with now carry Macs as they are supported offerings for many tech firms now. I was the first Mac user at my company..now over half the company is Mac in a little under 4 years. It's not about status symbol. It's about being tired of the race to the bottom in PC manufacturing.

Hahaha the starbucks comment is so true. However, I do not think it makes perfect sense for professional editors, photographers, and filmmakers.

There are a lot of new devices coming out that have a lot better specs than the new mac line.

But i think the new macbook will appeal to A VERY LARGE proportion of people. Like you said, it appeals to the everyday consumer now, more than ever. People assume that Apple has the best product so indeed they are going to buy it. However, that is not so much a case.

After reading a quick summary of updates from Apple's WWDC, I am probably not going to invest in one anytime soon and wait either for another update next year, or for buy a PC that does everything and more than the new 2012 mac line.

This isn't a laptop, its an appliance they want you to buy every year, just like your iPhone. Everything is non upgradable, designed for looks, the parts are barely uptodate. To quote Andy Hertzfield - "The specs for the "new" Mac Pro had hardly changed, except for a tiny, inconsequential processor clock bump. Still no Thunderbolt, still no USB 3.0, no SATA III or RAM speed improvements - it seems like it's stuck in time in 2010. The only thing that's still high-end about it is the bloated price."

The only possible reason to buy this is if you must have OSX, looks, or as a status symbol.

I'm also very disappointed in the Mac Pro....I had planned to finally jump to a Pro from my iMac. But no way. I'd go find a deal on a refurb or a used one first. My guess is that this "bump" in CPU wasn't Apple's doing..but instead Intel told them they weren't going to be getting those CPUs a lot longer.

I don't care if they do a complete redesign. The Mac Pro, while an older design, is still more elegant and well done than pretty much any other desktop out there. Modernize the insides and sell me one.

Are there going to be any Mac Pro updates coming this year? I am planning to get one in the next few days but would be hesitant if there are going to be huge changes in it.

Are there going to be any Mac Pro updates coming this year? I am planning to get one in the next few days but would be hesitant if there are going to be huge changes in it.

Nope. A new one is coming in 2013, according to Tim Cook.

But i think the new macbook will appeal to A VERY LARGE proportion of people. Like you said, it appeals to the everyday consumer now, more than ever. People assume that Apple has the best product so indeed they are going to buy it. However, that is not so much a case.

Can you name a 15" laptop with a resolution greater than 2880x1800? Even if you're not a fan of OS X, the new MBP is an absolutely incredible piece of hardware.

The Mac Pro is dissapointing, though. The specs list for a computer that that runs for nearly 3 grand shouldn't read like it's from 2008.

I too have been waiting for a Mac Pro update. Currently running a 27" iMac and was looking for a slight step up in power, but mainly flexibility (add in hard drives and cards as needed with ease).

For now I will wait until they get updated and stick with my iMac until then.

I agree with all the comments, I sold my iMac 2011 not too long ago and got a used Mac Pro 2010, upgraded the CPU to the Xenon W3680. So far it's handling everything I throw at it: handbrake, x264 transcoding 24/7, two active vmwares rar'ing, and massive download/uploading.

It's pretty cool to see all 12 threads on istats showing 100%.with an up time of 24 days.

The Mac Pro cost me $1300 and the CPU $400. Everything else I already had: monitor, sdd, and hdd's. The iMac I sold for was $2050, I still came out on top with a stronger machine.

Can you name a 15" laptop with a resolution greater than 2880x1800? Even if you're not a fan of OS X, the new MBP is an absolutely incredible piece of hardware.

Yeah, but we've been over this elsewhere on the forums.

Impressive resolution indeed, but not really useful on so small a screen.

That and the non-replaceable/upgradeable RAM and drive are a HUGE disappointment.

It's just Apple furthering its quest to turn computers into closed consumer entertainment devices.

Last edited:
I agree with all the comments, I sold my iMac 2011 not too long ago and got a used Mac Pro 2010, upgraded the CPU to the Xenon W3680. So far it's handling everything I throw at it: handbrake, x264 transcoding 24/7, two active vmwares rar'ing, and massive download/uploading.

It's pretty cool to see all 12 threads on istats showing 100%.with an up time of 24 days.

The Mac Pro cost me $1300 and the CPU $400. Everything else I already had: monitor, sdd, and hdd's. The iMac I sold for was $2050, I still came out on top with a stronger machine.
$1300? That's a pretty reasonable price. I'd upgrade to one of those temporarily if I could get one at that price.

This retina display is the first true real good reason to buy an expensive mac computer, imo.

I don't see any real support from these other vendors. Having better spec'ed products but no good way to get support when you have a problem is a big problem. IMO, that is where Apple has a serious advantage. I have a Sony, lenovo, Dell laptops in here, but only for the MBA can I go to a local store TODAY to get a no-headache repair/replacement. Just looking at specs and price is to ignore a large part of the value of a product, assuming we are talking about production machines.

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1038842624 said:
Yeah, but we've been over this elsewhere on the forums.

Impressive resolution indeed, but not really useful on so small a screen.

That and the non-replaceable/upgradeable RAM and drive are a HUGE disappointment.

It's just Apple furthering its quest to turn computers into closed consumer entertainment devices.

Given that desktops are the only truly expandable systems and they are all but dead, I fail to the the reason for the gripe about Apple. Memory is cheap; just max it out if you have a concern.

Back