2006 PC hardware vs. XBOX Next...

EngineChauffer said:
Anyone who says XBox live is better than Online PC gaming is just kidding themselves. Yeah, I want to hear a 12 year old whos balls haven't dropped yell every expletive he can in a 60 second period inbetween games, usually interrupted by turrets-style screaming.

No...anyone who says Xbox Live is better than online PC gaming has actually played both enough to have an objective point of view.

1. I've heard 10X the amount of "12 year old whos balls haven't dropped" in games like Counterstrike, Battlefield 1942, and Unreal Tournament 2004.

2. Players can be muted with the press of a single button.

3. Players in the aforementioned PC games I listed use far more expletives and accuse you of cheating every single time they are killed.

EngineChauffer said:
This is whats prevelant on XBL. I played it for 3 plus years until I had enough. Another thing is, most servers lag on that service since the bandwidth is provided by the host, not a dedicated server as someone else pointed out. XBox live has a long way to go if it wants to be taken seriously by the majority of the online (meaning console and computer together) community. My suggestions to make console (specifically XBox, but can be applied to PS2 also) online gaming better:

I've played off and on since the service was released. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the only game I ever got lag in, and I honestly didn't mind because I hated the online aspect of that game anyways.

Online gaming is far more convenient and better organized than anything in the PC market.

EngineChauffer said:
1. Would be to make an Adult live, just 18+ so we don't have to deal with these little shmucks. That would of course leave a kiddie live so they can act like fools with each other.

It pretty much is an adult Live already...you have to have a credit card to play. The problem is that those people have kids. As I said earlier, this can be fixed with the press of a button. I can't imagine how someone with three years on the service could have managed to overlook one of the most obvious features of the service

EngineChauffer said:
2. Make the game companies host servers (A few do, but not many at all considering how many XBL games there are) so the burden isn't on the consumer to pay 100-200/month to host 16 man games. (Thats what I payed for my DSL which was 6.0Mb down /768kbs up).

This would be a welcome change, but it isn't something that Microsoft should expect. PC developers don't usually host their own servers (Unless they have to, in the case of MMORPGs). The consumer is responsible for that in both industries. Faulting XBL for that is a bit ridiculous.

EngineChauffer said:
I prefer computer gaming, due to the much more mature and better overall community. You can make custom mods for most games and if its a good one it will catch on. On XBL, the only sense of community is a bunch of kids that call themselves a clan that love to abuse and browbeat anyone that happens into their server. Let the berating begin. :rolleyes:

Funny...I was just about to say the same thing about computer gaming. I haven't had one match in any PC game that I've played in the past few years where someone wasn't cussed out, bitched at, accused of cheating, or berated by a combination of the three.

Staples said:
Well since we are talking about CPUs, I think the PS2 still has a more powerful CPU than your PC. It is their graphics card that is not up to par. Is that so scary for you PC fanatics?

Hypothetically, If its so powerful then why do people use AMD FX-55s for gaming instead of the 333mhz PS2 CPU. Anothe rthing the AMDs are now 64bit. Thats way better then any 32bit. Like a 10,000ghz 32bit could keep up witha 64bit. Well atually maybe it could but either way would we have more ocmputers with PS2 chips then? I don't see any. You must have an old Compaq from '96 with 64mb of RAM and windows '95. I mean my AMD 3200+ running at 2.3ghz runs circles around a freakin PS2 and its a mid ranged card.
And don't say productuon costs when a PS2 costs $200 and the FX-55 alone is liek $800? I believe thats the price I saw it at last. The PS2 was only $299 when I bought it.
That's a $500 difference. Explain to me ho its mroe powerful.

I'm not saying it isn't sufficent but I'm not goin to let you down a PC liek that either.

Why don't we just take a PC with the best stuff and turn it into a console. It would cost alot but with no OS running it could run circles around anything else.

I admit consoles can run better with a lower speced hardware. But thats b/c the OS on a comp takes up so many processes. But thne agoain I liek being able to name the parts I ahve an feel a sense of accomplishment after I built my own rig. yea i battled through wal-mart for 3 days to ge tmy Xbox.

LiquidX said:
Let us look into a our crystal ball....all I see is MS and even Sony bridging the gap between consoles and pc's. We no longer here things like this..."Seeing that consoles are for the younger crowd and PCs are usually for the older crowd since they cost $$$". Rest easy, the future is bright for both console and PC gamers. The smart ones will embrace and learn the benefits of both, the fools will continue to scorn one. :D

I already have.

gamecube = nintendo games
pc = everything else.

it's quite simple

So Xbox Live is bad because it has voice communication and kids might scream into the mic. Meanwhile, some people lack the intellegence to.

1) Pull the mic out and just not use it.
2) Mute the spammers.

Not really rocket science. CS and UT2004 both support voice and does anyone really complain about those game? I guess not, they are very popular. And XBL is only 2 years old. I wish it had dedicated servers to sort out lag issues when you have 16 players in a game but other than that, it works really well for up to 12 players.

And ray, read some answers above. What makes the PS2 CPU so fast is that it is not an i386 CPU. It can not be made for PCs.

ray4389 said:
Hypothetically, If its so powerful then why do people use AMD FX-55s for gaming instead of the 333mhz PS2 CPU. Anothe rthing the AMDs are now 64bit. Thats way better then any 32bit. Like a 10,000ghz 32bit could keep up witha 64bit. Well atually maybe it could but either way would we have more ocmputers with PS2 chips then? I don't see any. You must have an old Compaq from '96 with 64mb of RAM and windows '95. I mean my AMD 3200+ running at 2.3ghz runs circles around a freakin PS2 and its a mid ranged card.
And don't say productuon costs when a PS2 costs $200 and the FX-55 alone is liek $800? I believe thats the price I saw it at last. The PS2 was only $299 when I bought it.
That's a $500 difference. Explain to me ho its mroe powerful.

I'm not saying it isn't sufficent but I'm not goin to let you down a PC liek that either.
Dude, I no doubt that the FX-55 is more pwerfull than the PS2, hell everyone here will agree with that, but your reasons are all kinds of fucked up. Your argument is making the pro PC guys look bad.

Ok ok when I saw this thread it sparked a bit of anger in me. All my friends swear by how great xbox is and how halo 2 is god and tey joke me about playign CS:S, UT2k4, Far Cry, HL2, etc. I play alot of halo 2 but undoubtly, my PC is much better then that xbox. Thye always joke me and say I'm gay b/c I play cooler games. Oh well. I also beat the ***** out of them wrestling. We aren't friends anymore. Dis my computer once shame on me. Dis my computer twice, shame on you. Dis my comp a thrid time, your going to get your ass ahnded to you. They found that one out.

here's there oh so mature comments

"Man b**** I pnwed you."
-Thats b/c all you do is sit around playing Halo 2 and did you forget yesterday I kidna beat -the hell outa you
"hell no you didn't I was having a bad day"
-ok and the time before?
"man you never beat me"
-frekaing XBL says i beat the crap outa you!
"no it doesn't"
-forget you I'm goin to go play CS:S
"man thats nerd crap."
-just b/c you can't seem to keep your dell from crashign don't lash out on me.
"shut-up b****"
-go have fun with your best friend the xbox
(i got play cs:s and then go to concerts with friends that are actuallly cool)

bonkrowave said:
The other thing I like about consoles is .... no random errors!

You will never get a crash or a lockup or a random problem while playing your XBOX.

It is really frustrating to play games such as HL2, or WoW when you get a crash or two each session.

BNWHAHAHA.

Have you played Kotor 2 on the xbox yet?

I rest my case.

bonkrowave said:
You will never get a crash or a lockup or a random problem while playing your XBOX.

the same can be true with PC gaming if you are a smart user :D

I am not going to respond point by point as it will become drawn out. I played since release also. I am not going to pull out my headset, especially when playing with friends just to avoid being yelled at. That is part of the service, why should I give up part of the service because someone else doesn't know how to behave?

Obviously you feel you have to stick up for XBL. I say its obvious because you have stretched the truth in many ways in your response. Only have gotten lag in RTCW? Please :rolleyes: come on. You get lag in every game because about 80-90 percent of the people on that service don't understand they can't host games above 8 or 10 maybe 12 players stretching it with regular broadband service (which is usually only 256 up).

It is totally untrue that computer gamers accuse more people of cheating. It is usually the 14-15 yr old that is playing in a computer game that might be antagonizing, but is usually kicked after a while of providing entertainment for the whole server. It seems the opposite is true of XBL, you can way more easily go into rooms full of kids being the only adult, hence what I described happening will happen.

You have your feelings about XBL, I have mine. I still try to give XBL a chance every now and then but still have come to the same conclusion every time. Maybe it will change, but I doubt it since every kid that wants one can get mommy or daddy to buy them one.

To say that its kids getting on their parents account on XBL is laughable. Need a credit card?.. wow you are reaching. The parents set their kids up with this. As you said to me, its obvious.

I will agree to disagree with you. Best of luck.

WickedAngel said:
No...anyone who says Xbox Live is better than online PC gaming has actually played both enough to have an objective point of view.

1. I've heard 10X the amount of "12 year old whos balls haven't dropped" in games like Counterstrike, Battlefield 1942, and Unreal Tournament 2004.

2. Players can be muted with the press of a single button.

3. Players in the aforementioned PC games I listed use far more expletives and accuse you of cheating every single time they are killed.

I've played off and on since the service was released. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the only game I ever got lag in, and I honestly didn't mind because I hated the online aspect of that game anyways.

Online gaming is far more convenient and better organized than anything in the PC market.

It pretty much is an adult Live already...you have to have a credit card to play. The problem is that those people have kids. As I said earlier, this can be fixed with the press of a button. I can't imagine how someone with three years on the service could have managed to overlook one of the most obvious features of the service

This would be a welcome change, but it isn't something that Microsoft should expect. PC developers don't usually host their own servers (Unless they have to, in the case of MMORPGs). The consumer is responsible for that in both industries. Faulting XBL for that is a bit ridiculous.

Funny...I was just about to say the same thing about computer gaming. I haven't had one match in any PC game that I've played in the past few years where someone wasn't cussed out, bitched at, accused of cheating, or berated by a combination of the three.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I am not going to give up part of my online experience becuase I would have to mute 90 percent plus of the gamers on there. I would spend more time muting than actually playing.

And XBL is much older than two years. :rolleyes: More like 4. With about six months off, that means I have been playing since launch. Adds up. I don't play either of the computer games you speak of. I dunno if I ever will. I prefer using teamspeak with private servers. Its easy to kick/ban (you can't BAN on XBL another pet peeve of mine) if you don't like what they are saying or how they are acting. On XBL you kick someone out of a game, the next map, bam, they are back in bothering you. How pathetic do you have to be to stalk and bother people like that? Like I said, kids with way too much time on their hands.

Staples said:
So Xbox Live is bad because it has voice communication and kids might scream into the mic. Meanwhile, some people lack the intellegence to.

1) Pull the mic out and just not use it.
2) Mute the spammers.

Not really rocket science. CS and UT2004 both support voice and does anyone really complain about those game? I guess not, they are very popular. And XBL is only 2 years old. I wish it had dedicated servers to sort out lag issues when you have 16 players in a game but other than that, it works really well for up to 12 players.

And ray, read some answers above. What makes the PS2 CPU so fast is that it is not an i386 CPU. It can not be made for PCs.

Shapeshifter said:
BNWHAHAHA.

Have you played Kotor 2 on the xbox yet?

I rest my case.

SO you have what .... one example ... when compared to PC where many games are released in near beta states.

The simpel fact is that it is much easier to program for one hardware set then it is to for the multitude of different types found in the PC industry.

I rest my case.

EDIT : and being a smart PC user has nothing to do with crashes from PC games. Just look at WoW, HL2, Doom 3. All had various hardware issues that were not caused by end users, but rather faulty programing.

ray4389 said:
Anothe rthing the AMDs are now 64bit. Thats way better then any 32bit. Like a 10,000ghz 32bit could keep up witha 64bit. .

Ummm... WTF?

64-bit does not automatically make everything faster. AMD's chips do have extra features (more/larger registers) that can be used by x86-64 code, which makes for a slight performance benefit, but by itself, 64 bits don't get you anything. The reasons why you get any performance boost are:

1. Large memory addressing. This is only a factor if your application needs more than 2 GB (real-world; 32-bit addressing is actually 4 GB, but most poeple run Windows, which has a 2 GB per-process limit, unless you have the largemem switch set). Otherwise, there's no performance benefit.

2. Double-precision floating point arithmetic. This is not a big deal, because everyone avoids double FP math in performance-critical applications - they all use 32-bit FP instead. And, if you switch all your FP math from float to double to get the "free" added precision without incurring a processor performance penalty, you still eat up more memory bandwidth.

3. As previously mentioned, there can be features of the chip that standard x86 code cannot see or utilize.

So, 64 bits are not some silver bullet that jacks your performance up. The estimates I've seen are that AMD64 code on a 64-bit OS will see real-world gains in the area of 5-15% over the 32-bit equivalent, due to the ability to utilize additional features of the chip. That's not " liek OMGWTFBBQ!!!111oneoneone 10,000 32-bit seepeeyouze!" Get over it.

EngineChauffer said:
Obviously you feel you have to stick up for XBL. I say its obvious because you have stretched the truth in many ways in your response. Only have gotten lag in RTCW? Please :rolleyes: come on. You get lag in every game because about 80-90 percent of the people on that service don't understand they can't host games above 8 or 10 maybe 12 players stretching it with regular broadband service (which is usually only 256 up).

Please tell me how you would know that every single person in every single game gets lag? Are you omnipotent? All-seeing? Have you played on every system? What bit of magic makes you fit to speak on the experience of all XBL users? What are the lottery picks for the next drawing in Florida and Georgia?

EngineChauffer said:
t is totally untrue that computer gamers accuse more people of cheating. It is usually the 14-15 yr old that is playing in a computer game that might be antagonizing, but is usually kicked after a while of providing entertainment for the whole server.

Yet again, wrong. I've been accused of cheating in every single match I've played in those games at least once per match. Even if I'm not having a good day; I'll get a kill that they deem "impossible" and be harassed consistantly throughout the match.

EngineChauffer said:
It seems the opposite is true of XBL, you can way more easily go into rooms full of kids being the only adult, hence what I described happening will happen.

There are rooms like that. To say an occurence of that is more frequent on XBL than it is on any of the popular PC games would be ludicrous, though. Even the shitty players of PC games think they are the "l33t" and are beyond death. Anyone that kills them is a "hacker".

I think it's obvious who is reaching here; it isn't me.

WickedAngel said:
Please tell me how you would know that every single person in every single game gets lag? Are you omnipotent? All-seeing? Have you played on every system? What bit of magic makes you fit to speak on the experience of all XBL users? What are the lottery picks for the next drawing in Florida and Georgia?

Yet again, wrong. I've been accused of cheating in every single match I've played in those games at least once per match. Even if I'm not having a good day; I'll get a kill that they deem "impossible" and be harassed consistantly throughout the match.

There are rooms like that. To say an occurence of that is more frequent on XBL than it is on any of the popular PC games would be ludicrous, though. Even the shitty players of PC games think they are the "l33t" and are beyond death. Anyone that kills them is a "hacker".

Jesus christ guys, has it occured to any of yall that it's likely the same damn people playing both. You think your experiances are side specific, the fact is that both have the same issue with trash talkers. Untill some one does a scientific survey monitoring extended usage of all games on both systems it's a moot point.

Kevin Lowe said:
1. Yes, but it looks from the first link as though HDTVs expect a certain scan rate and refresh rate - that is, it expects to be able to start a new line with the signal it receives every so often, and it expects to be able to start a new screen every so often. The link shows how to output in 480p, 540p, etc. but I don't see anything about how to get more than 1080 lines of resolution, which seems to be the big argument here. If you've got another link that specifically shows how to use arbitrary horizontal and vertical resolutions on an HDTV - and no, a Google link does not count - let's see it. And I do mean actual pixels drawn independently on-screen, not just "it'll render more pixels, but it all gets downsampled to 1080i anyway."
Do the same search on Google and you'll see what I'm talking about, a few links down from the top of the first page of results.

Anyway, once your HTPC is running at this hacked-up resolution, how are your games going to use it? I mean, often enough I see games that can't recognize my 1280x1024 LCD - and that's a fairly common resolution!
It depends on the game's coding. If the game is hard coded to set resolution options only, then obviously you're limited to those resolutions (unless there is a hack/tweak to change it). If the game is coded to match what the OS will allow (dependant on monitor and video card) then, the higher than 1080i resolution can be set manually via the software, after the drivers are altered to show the display as something that can handle the desired resolution.

Did I say everyone? No. I said 80-90 percent. You just like seeing what you want to see in every post. You are the one taking things out of context, not me. Then you address those out of context issues like you are trying to provide a valid argument to what I have said. You can't build a house on a weak foundation just like you can't argue a point based on selective reading.

I am not going any further with you.

Keep reaching though.

And I agree with redhalo that there probably are some crossover people who play both systems that love to make trouble for other players in whatever way whenever they can. Good point.

Unsubscribe here I come... :eek:

WickedAngel said:

Badger_sly said:
Do the same search on Google and you'll see what I'm talking about, a few links down from the top of the first page of results.

If you look at the second result in the Google link you provided, it shows that you can use 480p, 540p, or 720p (or double the lines in interlaced mode). I'm not seeing anything special there - it's not like you can plug in an HTPC and suddenly go up to 2048x1536. You're still limited by he horizontal scanrate the HDTV expects in. I'm just not seeing where this lends the PC any sort of advantage.

As for configuring the games, "hope the developers use Windows resolutions or let you configure it manually" is not a solution.

bonkrowave said:
.........The simpel fact is that it is much easier to program for one hardware set then it is to for the multitude of different types found in the PC industry.

I rest my case.
True, it is easier, but at the same time it is more limiting, which is why the console versions are dumbed-down.

EDIT : and being a smart PC user has nothing to do with crashes from PC games. Just look at WoW, HL2, Doom 3. All had various hardware issues that were not caused by end users, but rather faulty programing.
From that, we can tell that you are not even a slightly skilled PC user, because that is completely incorrect. Being a smart PC user has a lot to do with games running without problems. D3 was about the smoothest running, super graphically intense game released. Your PC had problems obviously, and no one to fix them. And if you knew anything about how server side games run, then you'd know that WoW and HL2's problems are due to the companies that made the games, not the games themselves.

Just a random note without reading any of the posts here.

The "new" names for the Xbox 2 is Xbox Xenon (in house) and Xbox 360.

WickedAngel said:

Melodramatic X 1000

Either you don't play PC games and you got all that info from CS forums (which is what I suspect), or we should put on our boots because you're applying some deep BS.

Oh, it's quite obvious that you are reaching, LOL...

Badger_sly said:
True, it is easier, but at the same time it is more limiting, which is why the console versions are dumbed-down.

From that, we can tell that you are not even a alightly skilled PC user, because that is completely incorrect. Being a smart PC user has a lot to do with games running without problems. D3 was about the smoothest running, super graphically intense game released. Your PC had problems obviously, and no one to fix them. And if you knew anything about how server side games run, then you'd know that WoW and HL2's problems are due to the companies that made the games, not the games themselves.

Mindblowing. These statements are truly mind blowing. If all these games are so perfect right out of the box ... why the need for patches ?

If I format my hardrive re-install the OS and any of the following games and there are problems ... well it obviously has to be my fault :rolleyes: /sarcasm

But congradulations on your use of insults, I hope it makes you feel bigger. :rolleyes:

Kevin Lowe said:
If you look at the second result in the Google link you provided, it shows that you can use 480p, 540p, or 720p (or double the lines in interlaced mode). I'm not seeing anything special there - it's not like you can plug in an HTPC and suddenly go up to 2048x1536. You're still limited by he horizontal scanrate the HDTV expects in. I'm just not seeing where this lends the PC any sort of advantage.
There's no way any HDTV will go that high. There is a limit.

As for configuring the games, "hope the developers use Windows resolutions or let you configure it manually" is not a solution.
Ah, you misread something there because what you put in quotes is no where near what I wrote. Basically, it can be set manually, higher than 1080i, depending on the a) the game's code, and b) the drivers used.

bonkrowave said:
Mindblowing. These statements are truly mind blowing. If all these games are so perfect right out of the box ... why the need for patches ?

If I format my hardrive re-install the OS and any of the following games and there are problems ... well it obviously has to be my fault :rolleyes: /sarcasm

But congradulations on your use of insults, I hope it makes you feel bigger. :rolleyes:
Not insulting, just telling it like it is.

Badger_sly said:
Melodramatic X 1000

Either you don't play PC games and you got all that info from CS forums (which is what I suspect), or we should put on our boots because you're applying some deep BS.

Right...the Radeon 9800 and Mushkin RAM I've got is for running Word. Use your brain, please. You're delusional.

MeanieMan said:
Just a random note without reading any of the posts here.

The "new" names for the Xbox 2 is Xbox Xenon (in house) and Xbox 360.

Where the himminie did the 360 come from? I am sticking with X2 or Xnext regaurdless of what the name says on the box when it comes out.
:p

Ok I'm 15 and I don't say people are ahcking.I went ona private server with soem guys who said they werr 1337 and I destryoed their whole team. I sniped the door on long A ( i was t) and they all stepped into my scope and I got a head shot on almost everybody. I think it was 10 guys. They called me a hacker. THey were also liek 20 years old. It's not just the oyunger folks saying hacker when it's their own fault when thye get killed. Another thing--I only say hacker when I keep getting killed from a HS with a glock.

I forgot the mention the XBL side of hacker speak. THe 14 year olds on there scream hacker everytime they die in halo 2. Since when can you relaly hack on halo 2? Last time i checked there are glitches but not hacks.

So .... to get back on topic ....

I really do see the PC and Console becomming closer knit, especially with the next generation XBOX.

With the Development of XNA tools, such as High level shader language that can be programed for both the new generation of windows and XBOX2 without the need for porting over, will really decrease development needed for ports.

So hopefully we will not see any piss poor ports like HALO for the PC, anymore.

this is quite possibly the most rediculous thread on Hardforum. Of course PC's will always be faster than some stupid console. Run your PC at 640 resolution and do your best to find a game that will slow down. Consoles are fast because they really don't have to do much work at all.

The problem with this thread is the lack of enlightment. I have taken plenty of "Xbox" gamers who thing they have "teh L33T" system that can beat any PC out there "graphics" wise and i simply enlighten them. Show any Xbox gamer your PC running any game at 1600 x 1200 FSAA and they shut up pretty quickly. Most Xbox gamers only know of mom and pop's pentium 2's with voodoo 2 video cards and get mad because their windows 95 and PC plays games like junk.

That is not without saying that consoles are impressive. Consoles are extremely impressive. For the messily setups consoles have, they do very very well. But really guys, you have to be kidding me. There is no way a console will EVER compare to a PC. As i said before, drop your resolution down to what any console plays and see how many hundreds(and in some cases even thousands) of frames per second you manage. This is not even a comparison.

Tygerwoody said:
this is quite possibly the most rediculous thread on Hardforum. Of course PC's will always be faster than some stupid console. Run your PC at 640 resolution and do your best to find a game that will slow down. Consoles are fast because they really don't have to do much work at all.

The problem with this thread is the lack of enlightment. I have taken plenty of "Xbox" gamers who thing they have "teh L33T" system that can beat any PC out there "graphics" wise and i simply enlighten them. Show any Xbox gamer your PC running any game at 1600 x 1200 FSAA and they shut up pretty quickly. Most Xbox gamers only know of mom and pop's pentium 2's with voodoo 2 video cards and get mad because their windows 95 and PC plays games like junk.

That is not without saying that consoles are impressive. Consoles are extremely impressive. For the messily setups consoles have, they do very very well. But really guys, you have to be kidding me. There is no way a console will EVER compare to a PC. As i said before, drop your resolution down to what any console plays and see how many hundreds(and in some cases even thousands) of frames per second you manage. This is not even a comparison.

Because the XBOX2 is only going to run at 640x480 :rolleyes:

It is quite probable that the XBOX2 will in-fact pwn any PC at the time of its release in graphics. Not to mention that fact that the XBOX 1 has a Geforce 3.5 in it when Geforce 3's were just hitting the market, at the time of its release. Granted it does run at lower resolutions ... but as we saw recently in Doom 3 ... resolution means squat when the games are programmed accordingly.

People talk about others suggesting they have the l33t system with a console .... yet I find people stroke there own ego and praise there hugh e-penis in terms of graphics, when in reality they are most often bottlenecked by their RAM or CPU, .... when it comes to PCs.

Tygerwoody said:

Yeah. See my sig below. Do you have any more uninformed theories about whether Xbox gamers have seen good PC graphics?

It's all about the game experience. PCs have certain games that just don't work on consoles this generation. Consoles provide experiences that just can't be done on PCs - I'm still waiting to hear what the zealots suggest I do when my friends come over and want to play some games. With consoles, I plop them down in front of the HDTV, fire up the 5.1 sound, and kick some ass.

Kevin Lowe said:
Consoles provide experiences that just can't be done on PCs - I'm still waiting to hear what the zealots suggest I do when my friends come over and want to play some games. With consoles, I plop them down in front of the HDTV, fire up the 5.1 sound, and kick some ass.

This is the kind of person that consoles go after. Ones that think that TVs and gaming speakers are console only because you can buy them at walmart in big boxes with flashy pictures. The ones that think that multiplayer on one machine is console only. :rolleyes:

MeanieMan said:
This is the kind of person that consoles go after. Ones that think that TVs and gaming speakers are console only because you can buy them at walmart in big boxes with flashy pictures. The ones that think that multiplayer on one machine is console only. :rolleyes:
This isn't an argument, this is just a question: Wouldn't it be xtremely hard to play multiplayer on one PC? Which games support it, because I would be very interested! And how would it work? Would you just stick 2 mouses in the USB's? Or one uses the mouse,a nd the other uses the keyboard or ehhh? :confused:

lesman said:
This isn't an argument, this is just a question: Wouldn't it be xtremely hard to play multiplayer on one PC? Which games support it, because I would be very interested! And how would it work? Would you just stick 2 mouses in the USB's? Or one uses the mouse,a nd the other uses the keyboard or ehhh? :confused:

Actually yes, back in the day you would share a keyboard like User 1 would use up down left right keys and say zero on the num pad to do an action where User 2 would use W S A D keys and space bar. Ahhh the good old days.

lesman said:

I know a lot of racing games supported multi-player, I know for a fact High Stakes supported it.
Like someone above me said one person uses the arrows, another uses the wasd keys.
Or you could just use 2 different joysticks / wheels / gamepads.

MeanieMan said:

Ones that have been building their own PCs since they were ten years old when their father taught them DOS and who are now IT professionals? I assure you, I'm plenty capable of hooking up my computer to my TV and receiver if I felt like it. However, I also use my computer for work, and since my desk and my TV are in different rooms, I'd rather not haul it back and forth. (And no, I'm not going to try using Visual Studio on a TV. Not gonna happen.)

Does anyone else have some bullshit generalizations about console gamers?

And sure, there have been a few games that support one player on WASD and another on arrows. Where the hell do the third and foruth person play?

Kevin Lowe said:
Ones that have been building their own PCs since they were ten years old when their father taught them DOS and who are now IT professionals? I assure you, I'm plenty capable of hooking up my computer to my TV and receiver if I felt like it. However, I also use my computer for work, and since my desk and my TV are in different rooms, I'd rather not haul it back and forth. (And no, I'm not going to try using Visual Studio on a TV. Not gonna happen.)

Does anyone else have some bullshit generalizations about console gamers?

And sure, there have been a few games that support one player on WASD and another on arrows. Where the hell do the third and foruth person play?
Using a usb controller just like everyone else.

Back