2006 PC hardware vs. XBOX Next...

lesman said:
I'm not taking any bets because I'm a poor bum, but when you say "performance and IQ" your only partially right about one thing: Performance. The cell processor will be leaps and bounds ahead of current processor architechture and power in terms of IQ. Cell processing is so much more precise, efficient and powerful than x86 architechture that rules the land as of now. The graphics performance will be beat of course in the future, but unless PC video cards start using Cell architechture, the IQ of each compared to each other will be uncomparable.

There is far more to image quality than just sheer parallel processing power. Keep in mind that most PC video cards have more RAM just for textures than even next gen consoles will probably have period. Also, as with the original XBox, the graphics capabilities are likely to be only slightly beyond what is currently available on PC's.

Don't get me wrong, I will probably have a PS3 the first week they are out. The hype is starting to make me ill though.

ThomasE66 said:
Don't get me wrong, I will probably have a PS3 the first week they are out. The hype is starting to make me ill though.
Yeah, the hype is what sucks. Sad to say, Hype got to me with the PS2, and it turned out looking like Dreamcast with a greater poly count and worse textures-and in my opinion, I think texturing is slightly more important than poly count.

Back