2005 Post Your Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they are just posing right there. I usually pull a desk behind me if I plan on using surround sound. After a while the cables get annoying if you keep it surround sound all day.

i have surround sound setup so its out of the way all the time never move them, i actualy cannot because i have ghetto improvments to sound quality, speakers sound excelent but there sort of in ghetto mounting :p

mobiux said:
saturnine2,
I don't recognize the speakers you are using, but let's hope they are shielded. :)
They are the Swans M200, and I dont believe they are shielded :( They sound great with proper placement though!

vat said:
Damn those swans look huge. It looked really small at Newegg's. How do you like it?
They sound great, the highs are very clear, and the mids are just right. The low bass is lacking, and there is a giant midbass hump. They need a sub to sound their best IMO.

maidesktop2.jpg

ds- said:

Do you play any games on it, and by games I mean pc? FPS's, wow, etc? I was wondering if it had any ghosting issues etc? The images you have shown looked really awesome and I might be looking at one of these for myself to mount on the wall for a new gaming pc monitor. Also how do movies look on it as well?

Thanks, Joe

ryuji said:
my cable company advertises 7 megabits downstream and 768 kbits upstream, on fileplanet i get the full 875 kb/sec fear demo downloaded quite fast and i frequently send isos and such to friends at ~100 kb/sec:D

I get that fast as well on file planet as they have some smoking fast dl servers. What company is it that you have again? Don't think you said so thought I'd ask as I have comcast. I'm getting around 4.6 consistently down on tests but in actuality from most sites I dl around 350-550kb/s.

Hopefully we will all see a huge increase in broadband speeds as I have been reading it's coming very soon and it's a major increase :D !!

AOM said:
Do you play any games on it, and by games I mean pc? FPS's, wow, etc? I was wondering if it had any ghosting issues etc? The images you have shown looked really awesome and I might be looking at one of these for myself to mount on the wall for a new gaming pc monitor. Also how do movies look on it as well?

Thanks, Joe

I only tried HL2 on it with VGA connection and it looked pretty good. It was on the native resolution of 1280x720. It runs a bit choppy on my computer on the resolution, but it looked pretty nice on the TV.

I just got this TV not long ago and haven't had much time to watch a full movie yet, but I did test out a few. Bright colorful movies like the Pixar ones look very good. I tried a darker movie like Collateral and the blacks aren't that great. The blacks seem fine watching satallite over a S-video connection, but using a HDMI to DVI playing a DVD the blacks look like it was stuck on there and not refresh the pixels or something if there was no movement over it. Also some parts looked a bit grainy.

I wonder if it is because of the digital connection compared to analog. I'm wondering if using component will fix this issue because S-video's black seems fine watching TV.

But my DVD player can upconvert to 720p and 1080 for all DVD. But using component it will only upconvert DVDs that are not copy protected.

I will be watching full movies in the next few days see how it goes...

I tried a lot of those HD videos from Microsoft site and it looks stunning on 720p.

ds- said:
I only tried HL2 on it with VGA connection and it looked pretty good. It was on the native resolution of 1280x720. It runs a bit choppy on my computer on the resolution, but it looked pretty nice on the TV.

I just got this TV not long ago and haven't had much time to watch a full movie yet, but I did test out a few. Bright colorful movies like the Pixar ones look very good. I tried a darker movie like Collateral and the blacks aren't that great. The blacks seem fine watching satallite over a S-video connection, but using a HDMI to DVI playing a DVD the blacks look like it was stuck on there and not refresh the pixels or something if there was no movement over it. Also some parts looked a bit grainy.

I wonder if it is because of the digital connection compared to analog. I'm wondering if using component will fix this issue because S-video's black seems fine watching TV.

But my DVD player can upconvert to 720p and 1080 for all DVD. But using component it will only upconvert DVDs that are not copy protected.

I will be watching full movies in the next few days see how it goes...

We'll the blacks part is definitely the contrast ratio which was one of the concerns that I had so the connection is probably not the cause but try it out and let me know. Refresh rate is also not the lowest but not bad so I didn't know if motion in movies or games would ghost or not so sounds like it's decent.

What up converting dvd player do you have? My friend has one of the Samsungs and it will up convert all dvd's and looks pretty good for the price he paid. I think around $120-$140 USD.

Let me know how everything goes as I'm interested b/c I'm also looking at the 37" Syntax Olevia which has gotten some good reviews. I need a decent monitor for my office for gaming and watching the occasional dvd on from time to time, but mainly for gaming on the pc.

AOM said:
We'll the blacks part is definitely the contrast ratio which was one of the concerns that I had so the connection is probably not the cause but try it out and let me know. Refresh rate is also not the lowest but not bad so I didn't know if motion in movies or games would ghost or not so sounds like it's decent.

What up converting dvd player do you have? My friend has one of the Samsungs and it will up convert all dvd's and looks pretty good for the price he paid. I think around $120-$140 USD.

Let me know how everything goes as I'm interested b/c I'm also looking at the 37" Syntax Olevia which has gotten some good reviews. I need a decent monitor for my office for gaming and watching the occasional dvd on from time to time, but mainly for gaming on the pc.

I'm using the LG LDA-531 1080i Upconverting Progressive Scan DVD Player With DivX . It has pretty good reviews and so far performs very well. I will be doing a lot of movie watching in the next week to test it out some more. Got it for $199 CND.

AOM said:
I get that fast as well on file planet as they have some smoking fast dl servers. What company is it that you have again? Don't think you said so thought I'd ask as I have comcast. I'm getting around 4.6 consistently down on tests but in actuality from most sites I dl around 350-550kb/s.

Hopefully we will all see a huge increase in broadband speeds as I have been reading it's coming very soon and it's a major increase :D !!
adelphia, i remember it wrong, adelphia is cool around here and any spare bandwidth goes to the top tier subscribers so i might as well say i got 7 mbits down instead of 6 and i upload at 800-850 kbits instead of 768 most of the time

This is my newly updated workstation. Added a Receiver, a new headphone, and two speakers.
The equipment is a Denon AVR685s receiver, Beyerdynamic DT990pro (600ohm version), and two B&W 601 S3 bookshelf speakers.
bw601.jpg

The speakers sound very good.

~Towert7

AOM said:
LOL....7 Megabytes....you wish.....I have 4.5 down and it smoked through loading his larger images with no problems. What cable company do you have? If their telling you that you're getting 7 down, then I'd be calling them up and demanding some answers b/c speeds aren't offered of more than 5.5 down in the US by any cable company.

Check around and read some on the net and you will see. LOL The pics were a little large for some but so are a lot of the others people have posted. I like big pics as it makes things easy to see when they are of great quality. Nice set up cc2096 :)

yah like other ppl have said u have no idea what ur talking about. roadrunner here has a premium service for 80 bucks a month that runs 8 mb/s down.

Sean

Heres my setup with my new Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1's ! They're so fvckin niceee :D Next upgrade: 20.1" dell widescreen LCD :D

picture0566uh.jpg

I'll be getting the moniter around September so if anyone is interested in my moniter(NEC FE991Sb) send a PM

Just a quick update...

A few notes: White spot on the desk is a jumper I forgot to throw away. Desk and monitor is dusty. I know, I know. And lastly, I dont know what show that is on TV. I just flipped it on and took some pics....Enjoy

Nothing special but I do love my Shuttle (and this monitor... :cool: ) Just using some crappy 2.1s (which really don't sound bad) since Air Force dorm life in Korea is... meh... but as soon as I get to Germany I'm getting a reciever and some good speakers. Probably going to upgrade the 2005FPW to a 2405FPW or bigger. :D

Ahhh - yes, it's a Sceptre X23s 23.1" 4:3 format (non wide screen) 25ms refresh... but looks more like 12ms.. it's got ZERO lag... very good for gaming... I got it like 2 years ago for $2k! Now that darn dell 24 is like $800. lol. I could have had two of them!! heh... I still like this one, but will be selling it soon for a wide screen LCD...

extreme4377 said:
Just a quick update...

A few notes: White spot on the desk is a jumper I forgot to throw away. Desk and monitor is dusty. I know, I know. And lastly, I dont know what show that is on TV. I just flipped it on and took some pics....Enjoy

Uh huh, sure you weren't watching dawson's creek, sure.

DM601 Series 3 up front, series 1 in the back and the cc6 center, Velodyne VA1012x sub, denon avr3803

DruSi3r said:
DM601 Series 3 up front, series 1 in the back and the cc6 center, Velodyne VA1012x sub, denon avr3803
My dad used to work for Velodyne, we got a free surround sound set from them. Good stuff ain't it? ;)

mmmmmmm... velodyne.. :) I have a definitive/paradigm setup... it's wow-full also. :) I couldn't live without my DTS + THX! ;)

man, igot to borrow my friends camera to join the fun, nothing too impressive, but nice to show off what little i got :d

whatcha guys think of the slim fit tv? has some minor geometry issues but i got the set for its size and HD converting capabilities.

It's nice... is that DLP based? those DLP sets have such good image intensity... wow... very bright and clear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back