2005 Post Your Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did this turn into the comic thread *am i lost or in the wrong place* I feel blind someone comfort me*

diek said:
theNoid,
TV.jpg

How much did the TV cost?

That particular 30" Widescreen CRT HDTV from Samsung cost $1000 new, but that was like over a years ago. I think you can get them new now from best buy for like $600-700 at most. Maybe even cheaper. I know Samsung has a new Slimline CRT HDTV that's very thin and has a very unique design.

Tman said:
Samsung 20.1 inch monitor.

it also can go vertical so you can view webpages better ;)

from that pic., it looks much bigger than 20". I thought it's a 23" or 30". Good for you. :D

desknew.JPG

i guess i should clean off that shuttle that is just sitting there as of right now, the computer i am using is PC #1 in my sig which is sitting under my desk

Ziggy said:
Here's mine before I set up speakers. Cool thing is I can watch Tivo in a window.
ziggypc.jpg

I see icons at the bottom of your screen, what are they? Or is that a quick launch tool bar?

New monitor, new rig this week. :)

Workstation.jpg

I was in the Addison Galleria Pottery Barn this weekend and saw just the desk I've been looking for.. too bad it's $1200+. :rolleyes:

img53l.jpg

Z(+)DIAC said:
Man that is some gawdy looking carpet Stellar :)

Nice Monitor though...

Yeah, I know. It's a college apartment - and I'm outta here in 3 months. :p

way too high res, and also the reason your 'camera doesnt like your monitor' is because you used the flash

[r.. too bad it's $1200+. :rolleyes:

img53l.jpg

That looks like a pretty simple design, why not try building it yourself?

Exactly. I could build that desk for probably 10-15% of its cost.

I've upgraded my setup from my laptop on a folding chair to an actual desk. Instead of building one, I picked up one at K-Mart for $40 on sale as my paycheck was larger than expected. (Plus I've found a job working for a few hours each week and getting paid under the table, in addition to my normal 2nd shift job.) So, now I actually have my desktop setup, after going 9 days without it. I'll take and post a pic when I'm not so drunk. (Let's just say that tonight has been a good night here at the house. I've talked to, and am starting to like, people whom I previously would have never talked to before.)

Stellar said:
I was in the Addison Galleria Pottery Barn this weekend and saw just the desk I've been looking for.. too bad it's $1200+. :rolleyes:

img53l.jpg

I just can't see how that desk can justify $1200, not even $120

TED said:
[r.. too bad it's $1200+. :rolleyes:

You'd be surprised. It'd probably require $1000 in tools alone to build that. Plus, I live in an apt., it's not like I have a woodshop out back.

If it was that easy and cheap to build PB-quality furniture you'd see a helluva lot more of it in this thread and everywhere else.

Stellar said:
You'd be surprised. It'd probably require $1000 in tools alone to build that. Plus, I live in an apt., it's not like I have a woodshop out back.

If it was that easy and cheap to build PB-quality furniture you'd see a helluva lot more of it in this thread and everywhere else.

$1000 :eek: Try the cost of a skillsaw and a sander. $250 + $50 for fittings and stain.

Thats what I could do it for. Your lack of a workshop makes it impossible though.

Hey, if you got the cash....

It does look nice, but that chair gotta go :p doesnt look very comfortable for long sittings

JL_Audio_User said:
$1000 :eek: Try the cost of a skillsaw and a sander. $250 + $50 for fittings and stain.

Thats what I could do it for. Your lack of a workshop makes it impossible though.

Hey, if you got the cash....

It does look nice, but that chair gotta go :p doesnt look very comfortable for long sittings

Nah, try a table saw, a router, a drill, a skill saw, a sander, saw horses, etc. Notice this is not just a table, it has three drawers and a slideout, and the top is not one solid piece. It is most likely held together with dowels - you can't do that with a skillsaw.

Building furniture is not easy - as far as carpentry goes it is highest on the totem pole: framing -> cabinetry -> furniture

That's why furniture makers make so much damn money in comparison. I should know I worked for Bodak Custom Home construction for 2.5 years doing framing and drywall.

royjr said:
Still a little cluttered after moving into my new "money pit" (aka home :D )

Myhaven.jpg

My favorite mod is my knotty pine & cedar office :cool:

I also made these brackets, to accomodate my 2 Viewsonic LCDs to be mounted sideways.
Custombrackets.JPG

Looks weird with those monitors on the side but still cool

killa62 said:
here's mine
my camera doesn't like my monitor...

How can you still be using floppy disk? What can you store in there, your XP Pro back up?

I haven't use any floppy for years, in fact, this computer doesn't even have a floppy drive.

tree_ said:
I use mine for SATA drivers ...
Ditto. Also, since my PC is fully SATA, I sometimes need to use floppy to load Linux drivers as well since current-gen kernels aren't supporting my native rig out of the box.

Happy Hopping said:
How can you still be using floppy disk? What can you store in there, your XP Pro back up?

I haven't use any floppy for years, in fact, this computer doesn't even have a floppy drive.

Not a very volatile user are you? Floppies are still very much required for SATA drivers, RAID drivers, boot disks for other operating systems, BIOS, and even firmware updates.

Plus a floppy doesn't have to rely on Plug'n'Pray before you can actually access it. :rolleyes:

Agreed Stellar, also floppies are great for memory tests and boot from floppy diagnostic programs when Windows rears it's ugly BSOD...or soon to be RSOD. Hey Stellar, you forgot one part of carpentry in your heirarchy of carpentry jobs....Luthier. What I consider to be the highest of skilled woodworking professions (but thats because I am one by trade haha!) peace

If you have a Lian-Li, you can always put the floppy drive inside so that you have to take off the side panel to access it. I plan to do this once I finish my mod. I need it for now since I just used it for SATA drivers and have documents on a few floppies. This can probably work for some other cases as well and it is more for aesthetic reasons.

diek said:
Agreed Stellar, also floppies are great for memory tests and boot from floppy diagnostic programs when Windows rears it's ugly BSOD...or soon to be RSOD. Hey Stellar, you forgot one part of carpentry in your heirarchy of carpentry jobs....Luthier. What I consider to be the highest of skilled woodworking professions (but thats because I am one by trade haha!) peace

You're right.. and let me say I salute you. I didn't work with any furniture makers but I did get to see the cabinetry guys at work almost daily and I envied their skill quite a bit. I'm still interested in getting back into carpentry once I have the resources.

Stellar said:
Not a very volatile user are you? Floppies are still very much required for SATA drivers, RAID drivers, boot disks for other operating systems, BIOS, and even firmware updates.

Plus a floppy doesn't have to rely on Plug'n'Pray before you can actually access it. :rolleyes:

but why not copy everything on a CDRW and boot up from there?

Microsoft only check 2% ECC on floppy. There are so many times you copy some data on a floppy, and few mth. later, you can't read it.

And I hate the noise it made on boot up as well as the delay.

alright, guys. wayyyy off topic now. start a new thread or leave it to PMs. this needs to get back on track... :p

Roparzh said:
Long time reader, but first post. Here's my work area:

office1jt.jpg

Post pics of your cases as well. They are hiding too far down, and they look like they might be interesting to look at. =P

R@Mo said:
Post pics of your cases as well. They are hiding too far down, and they look like they might be interesting to look at. =P

boxes0lb.jpg

These are Intel "Hudson" chassis, pretty old but so roomy for my E-ATX boards.

For just a simple case like that they LOOK AWESOME....

I would love to have those going at my desk. So who makes those again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back