2004 Post Your Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another vote for the MX1000 here, well worth the high price tag. With the built in lithium battery, you can go for weeks without charging it, plus the lithium battery is much lighter then the two AA.

As far as getting the MX due, not sure its worth it. Not alot of need for a wireless keyboard unless you are a good distance from you computer, otherwise there is no reason a cord on the keyboard should be a problem, and who wants to have to keep a supply of batteries on hand for your keyboard. Mouse is more practical because you can simply place it in the charging cradle when not in use.

As far as comparing the razor mice with the logitech MX1000, tried them both, MX1000 is more ergonomic, and no coard to get in the way. A cord hanger might help, but still can't beat having nothing at all to get tangled/hung up.

Not only that, in my opinion the buttons on the razor are much too sensitive, i guess its all a matter of opinion, but if your finger even brushes up against the razor buttons it registers.

Here's my workstation. More pics are available at my website, along with an in-depth look at the case.
Deam's website!

Workstation:
workstationbig.JPG

Case:
homepic.JPG

Oh, and as for a mouse , I prefer wired PS2 mouse. I had MX700, and got rid of it not only because of the weight of the batteries, but because I could tell a diff between 125hz and 200hz that the PS2 is capable of giving. Obviously, it is personal. I currently use an MX510 and I really like it.

Thanks!
I really had fun making the case, although it took much longer then expected and it cost al great deal more as well!

decap said:
Sidgoop said:
]http://members.cox.net/briecke37/wk1.JPG[/IMG]

where did you get that pay phone thing can you use it ?

My company manufactures the payphone boards used in those housings. That would be a western style housing he has there. I found one on ebay but the internal components are from a company Ive never heard of.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=985&item=6122754988&rd=1

if you really want a working phone, try www.payphone2000.com or www.payphone.com. We deal with both of these guys frequently :)

hickish said:
As far as getting the MX due, not sure its worth it. Not alot of need for a wireless keyboard unless you are a good distance from you computer, otherwise there is no reason a cord on the keyboard should be a problem, and who wants to have to keep a supply of batteries on hand for your keyboard.
When I had a logitech wireless keyboard, the batteries lasted almost a full year in it. As long as you have rechargables, I don't think it'll be a big deal.

re-do on the pics now that my "red" case is complete

There will probably be another round of pics since I am planning to take the bridge piece off (the 3-way 1800FPs sit on) and extend all the way across the room. So the bridge piece will be about 8 feet long then. We'll see....

PA052044.jpg

PA052046.jpg

PA052047.jpg

PA052048.jpg

PA052049.jpg

PA052050.jpg

PA052051.jpg

PA052052.jpg

PA052053.jpg

PA052054.jpg

PA052055.jpg

PA052056.jpg

PA052057.jpg

IMG_0635.JPG

damn the makers of the minifridge that is near my workstation. they should have made all of the shelves tall enough to hold bawls, and there should be 2 of those can holders on the door.

time for some fridge modding

edit

damn it stresstest, you always have to come in here and ruin it for all of us! by far the best workstation here

hehe, sorry bro :) And thanks for the compliment.

I gotta get me one of those mini's for under my desk that you have there. Pretty schweet

Yo STRESSTEST,

Thats awesome. What are the specs for both your comps? And wat video card are you using for the triple monitor setup?

Nice STESSFEST, I remember that from long ago. My workstation only has blue cold cathodes on the bottom though, so your switch of multi-light selection-ness greatly beats mine.

One thing I'm also trying to do, which I noticed you did, is make the glowpad mod for me mouse and such. I'll have to quickly learn how to do LEDs first[edit],[/edit] though *just began that kind of stuff a little over a week ago*.

Make sure you update your site too for that thing =0)

I'm such a grammar-nazi.

iownyou14 said:
Yo STRESSTEST,

Thats awesome. What are the specs for both your comps? And wat video card are you using for the triple monitor setup?

The red one on the left is the work PC. It's a 3.06HT box. gig of ram, 5700 ultra for the dual 17" Planar's, gigabit nic blah blah blah

The blue one is a 2800+, gig-o-ram, gigabit nic, NF7-S, 5900 Ultra and a 5200 PCI for the 3rd monitor (room for a 4th :p) etc...

The cool thing is the boxes will migrate nicely with hardware improvements.

EGGO said:
Nice STESSFEST, I remember that from long ago. My workstation only has blue cold cathodes on the bottom though, so your switch of multi-light selection-ness greatly beats mine.

One thing I'm also trying to do, which I noticed you did, is make the glowpad mod for me mouse and such. I'll have to quickly learn how to do LEDs first[edit],[/edit] though *just began that kind of stuff a little over a week ago*.

Make sure you update your site too for that thing =0)

I'm such a grammar-nazi.

What site?

And if you are such a grammar-nazi, maybe you could spell my name right? :)

stress gimmie some money ya lucky stiff =o) i love your chair . what kind and how much was it?

and where do you guys host your pics , the places i host em on keeps going down lol

STRESSTEST:. god DAMN thats alot of expensive stuff. (5 flat screens, MX1000, HD-590's, all the glow stuff)

Stress,
That is an amazing setup.
Can you play games using all three monitors? Does the slower GF card cause any problems?

and thats for aused one? lol stress ddint i buy something from you?

and on the mx1000 , since your the only dude ive seen with one, can you tell me how it compares to the mx700?

and whats it retail price?

Deam said:
Stress,
That is an amazing setup.
Can you play games using all three monitors? Does the slower GF card cause any problems?

I only game on one, right in the middle

ks_tidal said:
and thats for aused one? lol stress ddint i buy something from you?

and on the mx1000 , since your the only dude ive seen with one, can you tell me how it compares to the mx700?

and whats it retail price?
yea, you bought that Koolance waterblock from me some time back. VGA if I remember right.

The mouse I got from Compusa on that deal that was posted in the [H]otdeals forum for like 62.95? something like that. Maybe 66.95, I forget. I have both as you know, and hands down the MX1000 is teh winnar. Anyone wanna buy my spare MX700? :p The charge lasts for weeks on end vs 2 days tops as well. The scroll wheels tilts too, and there's yet another button for the thumb to use

My temporary desk while my room is being redone. You can only see my main PC, my shuttle is undreneat and hooked up via KVM.

Specs:

**Main Computer**

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz @ 3.0Ghz
Abit Ic7 Max3
1gb Corsair XMS Pro PC-4000
ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
2 80GB in SATA Raid 0
2 80GB Western Digital IDE drives

**Shuttle XPC**

Shuttle XPC sk41g
AMD 2400+
1gb pc-2700
Radeon 9600Pro 128mb
1 80GB Western Digital IDE Drive
1 250GB Western Digital IDE Drive

TempDesk.JPG

You got the wrong guy stress :p

ANd I assume the lighting is from lights under the desk

Deam said:
You got the wrong guy stress :p

ANd I assume the lighting is from lights under the desk
got my replies all fuckered up :p Fixed

decap said:
what kind give me specs and where to buy

They are your standard cold cathode kits using a PSU mounted under the desk.

Yo Stress,

Can u write a tutorial on how to create the under-table lighting using CCs. I know u used a project box, a PS, and some swiches. But what else, and how did u get it all going. I think a lot of us would want to know.

Thanks

awwww i have been looking for hours for that one glass L shaped computer table that has blue tint to it. awwww where is it>>????>>

iownyou14 said:
Yo Stress,

Can u write a tutorial on how to create the under-table lighting using CCs. I know u used a project box, a PS, and some swiches. But what else, and how did u get it all going. I think a lot of us would want to know.

Thanks

Learn a little about electronics first.

http://www.metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/sahkooppi/index_eng

Learn that, and I am betting money that you won't need a tutorial on how to build it, I know I didn't.

Sorry for the bit of off-topicness, I guess it's better they ask on the MB than PM flood STRESSTEST. (spelled it right this time)

[edit] These could help as well as I used them:
Power Up an ATX PSU without a Motherboard: http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/196/1

Build your own fancontroller (but I used it to make a switchbay): http://www.moddingzone.com/articles/fancontrol/ You can skip the case building part and just get the project box.

Long time lurker, first time post. Here is my workstation:

HPIM0191.jpg

Love the twin Viewsonic GS790's. The wife thought I was crazy when I told her that I wanted dual monitors, now she cant live with out them. :D

the "Golden Calf"
AMD XP3200+
1024 MB of Kingston HyperX 512 mb x 2 Dual channel PC3500 DDR
Sapphire 9800 pro ATI Radeon 128MB
Hitachi Deskstar 180gxp 120.0 GB @ 7200 RPMS
IBM Deskstar 75gxp 30.0 GB @ 7200 RPMS
Samsung Model SD-816BEP 16X DVD 48X CD-ROM
Samsung Model SW-252BRNS 52x24x52 8mb cache
HP PSC 2410 Photosmart All-in-One
HP LaserJet 1000 printer
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth
Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keboard (No ergo bluetooth kb :( )
Logitech Z-640 5.1 Channel

Gaming system & Laptop:

p9200005.sized.jpg

Rear of computer:

p9200007.sized.jpg

Laptop:

p9200009.sized.jpg

Gaming system runs either slackware 10 or gentoo and windows xp, laptop is gentoo and windows xp if i want to play worms :)

Servers:

p9200017.sized.jpg

L-R: OpenBSD Shell/http server, OpenBSD website backup server, FreeBSD loner box soon to be OpenBSD PF box (The lil 60-mhz box on the floor).

More pics are avalable @ http://www.cdine.org/gallery/comproom

Actually these are my work areas at the office... Enjoy the mess, and excuse the crappy image quality, no decent camera on hand...

Main desk, graphic design PC (P4 2.4 OC'd to 3.0GHz, baby), 1GB RAM, color laser printer (HP laserjet 2500L, color reproduction sucks, stay away), 19" LG flatron, MX700 and RatpadzGS:

image_00019.jpg

And my normal working area, trusty old Asus laptop, external cheap compaq keyboard, logitech optical mouse on classic ratpadz:

image_00020.jpg

Actually don't have a working rig at home, unless you consider my old celeron PC as a file/print server...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back