2004 Post Your Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new computer, Rig#1 in my sig.

My-Computer.txt

messy yes.. and you havent seen behind the desk. you dont want to!

workstation.jpg

<3 my webplayer, which is an aim bitch
webp.jpg

from left to right.. sorta...
shitty yamaha keyboard
compaq x1000 1.4ghz pentium m, 768 ram, radeon 9200
n64 donkey king 64 ed
virgin webplayer with a prettay keyboard, 200mhz cyrix, 64mb ram
19 inch tv that can be hooked up to any of the 3 computers not including webplayer
ps1 on top of tv
multimedia PC below desk currently emulating mario 64 (yes i have it on my actual n64 but who cares ;) i use it for movies, emu, etc) athlon 950, 256 ram, gf4 mx4x0 w/tv-out
monitor for multimedia pc
dual monitors for "gaming computer"
gaming rig in a supercase, athlon xp 2400+ with gf4 ti4200 (i know i know i need to upgrade) 1 gb ram

hehe much <3 for the old thread and you helping everyone out ;) ive been aiming to put all my unused cathode lights under my desk since my computers are apart 24/7 but you already did that... where else to put them muhahhaaha :D

messy I know.... but gotta love the 23" goodness :D
hp_l2335.jpg

... yes it's a MCE remote on the desk ;)
(happy betatester here :cool: )

Corrugated said:
I know, I know... I need pictures.

I am kinda diggin STRESSTEST's under-desk lighting idea though.

mmmmmmm........... Heavy Metal your my hero.

Ok, i've been dithering about posting this for a while now but i guess it's time to open it up to a little critiquing... :)
Whole project took about 4 months, the leg framework is billet aluminium made to my design, both legs are a laminate veneered in burr poplar, the top of the desk is laminate again veneered in figured ash with a yew veneer trim and solid yew wood edging...
The pc itself is mounted in a completely custom enclosure in the leg, and lit with blue cathodes, looks pretty cool at night.. DVD, HD, PSU etc are all mounted on custom made brackets under the motherboard, air is drawn up from the base of the cylinder onto the underside of the m/board and vented out through the glass top which is actually pretty handy for drying off a sweaty mousing hand.. :) I was actually pretty surprised at the temperature results with this cooling setup as the CPU temp dropped almost 10 degrees celsius from what is was in a standard case... :eek:

The desk was actually a gift for my fiance so be nice.. ;)

desk1.jpg

desk2.jpg

desk3.jpg

pc.jpg

nighttime.jpg

nighttime2.jpg

oh yeah right... :)

Nothing special as the fiance isn't a gamer..

Epox 8RDA+ with 512mb crucial PC3200 DDR
AthlonXP (thoroughbred) 1800+ @ 2000+ with Thermalright AX7 h/sink
Matrox G450 MAX
onboard sound
80gb Maxtor IDE HD
Pioneer DVD-RW 8x
350W silent PSU
17" Samsung TFT

there is a 120mm blue led fan in the base of the cylinder and the 80mm exhaust that you can see
there is also a couple of USB and firewire ports mounted alongside the DVD in the side of the cylinder..
keyboard and mouse are both cordless with the transciever 'puck' hidden inside the desk along with all the speaker/monitor/power cables hence no cables visible at all... ;)

wow, that desk is [h]ard core!

is it ment to have a pc there? it looks really cool. was it really expensive? i want one :D

:) thanks, i'm quite happy to take commissions.. hehe..

It was designed around a shape that my fiance wanted for a desk, building the PC into it was my idea.. :D
It took me about 4 months to build, the pc part was all done in the last couple of days :rolleyes:
In terms of cost, i reckon it cost me about $3000 for all the veneer, laminate and to have the aluminium frame fabricated.. (need to learn how to weld i guess!!). If i was going to make another one for someone i'd probably charge around $8000 including the PC....

That's awesome man, definitely a piece of art. Nice job! But how do you access it if you ever want to change anything? CD drives external or none at all? Sorry if these questions have been answered already, I'm too busy gawking at the pics to read. :eek:

edit: A HA! I see the drive now. Vertically mounted, right? Does that work okay for you or is it giving you errors? I've always been nervous about vertically mounting optical drives.

hehe, no problems i had to answer all the same questions when folks were looking at it first hand..
Everything fits into custom made caddies or brackets under the motherboard.. The DVD drive is mounted vertically in the side of the cylinder which you can see in the left side of the leg in picture 3.. if you want to change it, it just slides right out... changing the HD or PSU is done from the bottom, the base of the cylinder just rotates 30 degrees and drops out..
If you want to add cards or change anything on the motherboard then the glass just lifts off.. the rebate that it sits on is lined with silicon to form an air/water tight seal...

I'm sure i have a pic of the inside of the cylinder without the motherboard tray.. i'll look it out and post if i can find it..

edit: haven't had any problems with the DVD drive, it says on the box that it can be mounted vertically so if i have any problems i'll be bending Pioneers ear about it... :p

horrible pictures and bad lighting... desk is nothing compared to everyone elses...
desk1.jpg

desk2.jpg

desk3.jpg

desk4.jpg

desk5.jpg

i post better pictures on request.. need a little inspiration.. someone being interested would be enough for me to spend a while taking pictures.

Comte said:
Here is mine...

My%20desk.jpg

Damn son, got enough drugs there?

ryuji said:
horrible pictures and bad lighting... desk is nothing compared to everyone elses...

desk3.jpg

i post better pictures on request.. need a little inspiration.. someone being interested would be enough for me to spend a while taking pictures

Another druggy!!!

those drug bottles work really good for putting your spare computer screws, what i use one for

Arkos Reed said:
messy I know.... but gotta love the 23" goodness :D
hp_l2335.jpg

... yes it's a MCE remote on the desk ;)
(happy betatester here :cool: )

rofl is that a stick of ram on the wall.

Torquemada XP said:
23"

The 30" is too rich for even me, lol

I just remembered the Miles poster; didn't you have a Samsung 19" before and something before that? You change monitors more than people change their socks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back