2 8800GTS 640 for $120 good?

XpediencY

Gawd
Someone is offering me these two for 120, is this a good deal or should I just get a 4850 for around 90

The pair of 8800's would likely be faster if you're willing to deal with SLI.

Oh i've dealt with it before, and I'm just wanting to know if these two are worth $120 at this point.

Since it's the 640 MB version I'd say it's probably worth it, but you might want to browse around a bit for other offers.

go for it if you like SLI, but I really suggest not buying over a card that already out for 2-3 years, and also SLI with slow card.

for $120, a pair of 8800's isn't a bad buy, its a shame that they're 640MBs (generally the 320 benched better back in the day), but either way, its a decent performing setup for $120

a bit power hungry as a setup, but it'll get the job done

If your running at 1920x1200 I'd suggest something with more memory bandwidth and memory.

If your running at 1920x1200 I'd suggest something with more memory bandwidth and memory.

because 2x640MB is obviously a smaller number than 2x512MB ;)

depending on the application, he should have no issues with performance, will it set a world record? no

will it play the game and be enjoyable? yes

does only fulfilling the second requirement probably get a lot of people's panties in a bundle? yes

Uh the 320s are inferior in every way possible and no one should be buying the GTS 320. The GTS 640 has more memory and better bandwith than the GT, but it's a bit slower in almost everything. However, I'd definitely get GTS 640 SLI over GT SLI because the 8800 GT comes with a noisy single-slot cooler - unless you swap it out for an Accelero, at which point you might as well just save your money and get another card altogether.

The 8800GTS 640mb editions are G80
The 8800GTS 512mb's are G92 (More SPs, higher clocks, less power usage)

For a single card reference
My 8800GT beats The 8800GTS-G80 edition
But the 8800GTS-G92 beats my 8800GT

I would say that it is not a good deal :(

because 2x640MB is obviously a smaller number than 2x512MB ;)

depending on the application, he should have no issues with performance, will it set a world record? no

will it play the game and be enjoyable? yes

does only fulfilling the second requirement probably get a lot of people's panties in a bundle? yes

/sigh.
8800 640 vs 512
It has the same memory bandwidth as my card, slightly more memory, and ~1/2 the texture fill rate. It also has 30% more stream processors which are clocked 25% faster.

He will have issues on preformane if he expects to be able to enable AA on higher end games. I know because I'm running a faster card than he is. While it is more than "enough", if I were buying now I would not skimp on the memory.

A MUCH better option would be getting a 4870 1gb or a GTX 260 for aruond 150$. There is no question that is 30$ more expensive than the used pair of 640s, however it will also be significantly faster.

you should be able to get the G92 versions for that price if you shop around a bit. I dont think its that great of a deal

Maybe he meant 512MB (G92) instead of 320? Dunno... Only way it makes any sense. I don't think it's a bad deal, but I do think it's worth spending a lil' bit more for a single-card solution that's substantially more hassle-free... Who knows how long NV's gonna be updating drivers appropriately for SLI on those older cards, you may find they end up scaling not well at all w/many newer games, dunno.

A MUCH better option would be getting a 4870 1gb or a GTX 260 for aruond 150$. There is no question that is 30$ more expensive than the used pair of 640s, however it will also be significantly faster.

Exactly. Should be able to find either of those for less than that even... I think I've seen 'em for $130 w/MIRs and such. I got my GTX 260 over two months ago w/two free games and it was $155 after MIR so it's definitely gotta be slightly cheaper somewhere right now.

because 2x640MB is obviously a smaller number than 2x512MB

They are only going to see 640mb anyways not 2x640=1280mb ;)
the memory mirror's it self and game will only see 640mb just for reference. Offer him $100 for them and have fun tinkering and modding with them, I think $50 a card wouldnt be a sacrifice and should still best that single ATI card in shear shader power. Does any one know what memory bit the interface is on those GTS's? That would be my only concern if there limited in mem bandwith.

Its also possible that those 320mb cards had faster rated memory, kind of like the old ti4200-ti4600's. Remember back in the day when the 64mb ti4200 would slay the "OH MY GOD IT HAS 128mb" cards? The 64mb ti4200's had lower latency, tighter V-RAM timing and in general clocked much higher on ram side. I Had an Asus gold edition ti4200 128mb and thought it was the tits. Falling for the more=better mentality, until the Vin diesal lean and mean 64mb edition drug me down the road doing a 7th gear street wheelie. The good old days when games didnt scarf a gig of video ram and take up 13 pci slots :D:D:D:D:D

Yeah the best answer to this whole thing is to just pony up and buy a GTX 260. I've done SLI 8800 GT and GTX 260 and putting two slow cards together in SLI (slow by this point, that is) just rarely works out better than the more powerful single card.

Or, you could have an 8800GTS 640 with an A3 core, and have it overlocked a bit past the Ultra... :)

For $120, you're better off buying a 4870. I got my 1GB 4870 a month ago ($128 shipped @ eWiz) and it's about as fast (or faster) than the 640MB 8800GTS SLI setup I had before. It also helps saves a couple of PCI slots, noise, heat, etc.

To answer the question about the 8800GTS (G80) memory bus. it's 320-bit, so it'll somewhat compensate for the slower memory speed (compared to today's cards)

Back