Will you buy a GTX 1080 and sell what you have now?

• Yes - buying a 1080, selling what I have now

Votes: 146 43.7%
  • No - Keeping what I have now (970. 980, 980 Ti, Titan Radeon, etc)

Votes: 188 56.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How exactly does the step up program work?

Well you buy for example a 980ti and then if a new video card comes out within 90 days of purchase you can step up to the new version. Its based on the card you buy. You get a list that will let you know which cards you can step up to. If its the top of the line you don't have an upgrade path unless a whole new family of cards comes out within 90 days. For me from what I have read it will be the Evga founders edition.

You have to register your card with them within 14 days of purchase and also upload your invoice to be eligible.If you register after 14 days then you have to buy an extended warranty from evga to be eligible.

You then enter a que and have to wait till your number is picked. You then send your old card back to them and also pay whatever difference they charge between the two cards. I paid $590 for the card without tax and after a $20 rebate

Last edited:
If HDCP 2.2 matters, just be aware that the 950/960980ti/Titan X are the only Maxwell cards that support it. 970/980 do not support HDCP 2.2.

Thanks for the info. I think I will just grab a 950/960 then gaming rig will stay at 1080p for now so I think I will be fine with the 970 for another year or so.

At first I didn't plan on getting a 1080 but then a buddy of mine showed interest in buying my 980Ti so I thought, why not! By the time he is ready to buy my 980Ti and I'm ready to buy the 1080 prices on the 980Ti will most likely be lower than they are now so I'll be taking a big hit on it. At the end of the day my friend will get a good deal and I'll have a shiny new 1080 to play with so we both win.

In the process of planning for a new build. I currently have a old i7-980x at 4 Ghz and three GTX 680s and want to go to an i7-6950x when they come out. So I'm wondering if I should just buy on FE or AIB 1080 now which should give me a very good boost even with this old 980x and wait for higher end 1080 parts to with the 6950x or just get two 1080s now for the 980x and see how that goes. I'd still get the 6950x system but maybe wait a bit more.

I'm willing to wait for a card I really want this time. MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte are on the top of my list right now. I like EVGA too, but their coolers tend to be more conservative.
The problem is this-- I fully expect to see AIB cards with great cooling sometime in June. But they will all use the reference PCB, and we know the reference PCB is power-constrained. You'll hit the same 2.0 to 2.2Ghz as a straight-up reference, just with less noise.

So the 1080 we really want won't be available for a couple months.

For me this is an easy one. I will hang on to my OC 980 Ti and wait to see what big pascal and Vega have to offer. These FE cards are overpriced and do not provide enough improvement in performance for me to upgrade.

I will keep my 980 right now and probably upgrade to a 1080 after the first of next year when EVGA puts out their versions.

The part of me that likes shiny wants the 1080, but my Titan X is running nicely at 1450 and from a benchmark I saw a while back I seem to remember that being pretty much neck-and-neck with a stock 1080? Probably wait for the next Titan, or "big pascal" I guess it's called?

The part of me that likes shiny wants the 1080, but my Titan X is running nicely at 1450 and from a benchmark I saw a while back I seem to remember that being pretty much neck-and-neck with a stock 1080? Probably wait for the next Titan, or "big pascal" I guess it's called?

Definitely not neck and neck, in some games (Witcher 3) there is a 40fps differential.

1080P & 4K

Definitely not neck and neck, in some games (Witcher 3) there is a 40fps differential.
Cool, thanks for the link, will watch. I meant running at 1450 (almost 50% over stock) would put it pretty much neck and neck with a stock 1080. Just my back of the envelope math anyway.

Cool, thanks for the link, will watch. I meant running at 1450 (almost 50% over stock) would put it pretty much neck and neck with a stock 1080. Just my back of the envelope math anyway.

Its a tough call, I know you probably spent a fortune on the Titan X but, you might want to sell it while they're still worth something and get a 1080.

Just imagine that sweet sweet 1080 overclock of over 2000mhz! on the core :geek:

Its a tough call, I know you probably spent a fortune on the Titan X but, you might want to sell it while they're still worth something and get a 1080.

Just imagine that sweet sweet 1080 overclock of over 2000mhz! on the core :geek:
Hey I'm all about jumping on the Pascal bandwagon. I just kind of want to do it with another Titan or a Ti if they do one :blackalien:

I think i've made my choice at this point. if there is a good design 1080 with additional power plugs, cooling, mosfets,etc for $650 or under ill take it, if not i'll be keeping my 980ti ftw. I compared some benchmarks and it seems to be 30% faster than a stock 980ti, which is a good increase.

but from a 980ti that goes to 1400mhz by itself or a little more OCed, the difference seems to be very small. i think im 8% away from guru3d's DX12 1080p benchmark from a stock 1080 with my 980ti.

techpowerup shows a 0.9% when you compare an earlier GPU review with worse drivers for the 980ti compared to the 1080 review (136fps vs 137 if i recall correctly)

of course the 1080 can be overclocked, but it seems that it doesn't offer as much performance increase as a 980ti stock to OC.

my 980ti cost $518, I would get around $470 if i return it to my credit card company. $470 to $599 is a 27% increase in price (38% if $650) thats assuming before tax, which already seems not worth it, since i wont see that much % increase in performance.

UK buyers are getting fucked hard, £620-£650 for fucking reference cards that equates to $902.99 to $946.68 for a $600 card.
i heard that people in brazil, pay like $3,000-$5,000 for "1" freeking card. if u think its expensive in england, go live in brazil. (i am really glad i live in california, and i am really angry how they exploit the poor users in brazil.)

Last edited:
I want to wait and see the non founders 1080s and how much better they are than my 980's. If just one is that much better than my sli 980's then I'll sell off both for 1 1080.

i heard that people in brazil, pay like $3,000-$5,000 for "1" freeking card. if u think its expensive in england, go live in brazil. (i am really glad i live in california, and i am really angry how they exploit the poor users in brazil.)
Brazil has a high tax on electronics or imported electronics?
Whatever the reason it sucks either way.
Cheers

I've seen overclocking comparisons and that 30% gap between stock 1080 and stock 980 Ti narrows to 10-15% once both are overclocked. Not worth it, in my opinion, if you have a 980 Ti or Titan X. May as well wait for the direct successor to the card you currently have.

Brazil has a high tax on electronics or imported electronics?
Whatever the reason it sucks either way.
Cheers

Sounds like someone should get some cards and smuggle them down for profits! You'll be the Brazilian GPU Robin-Hood

I bought a GTX 970 to replace a GTX 760 which will go to my son's system (he got a 550Ti which is a bit slow for what he game). I don't want to pay the early adopters tax and found a new one at a nice bargain price.

Since I know my Microcenter will have stock on Friday, I'll test the waters on Craigslist today and see what I can pull.

Sold both of my 970s on Craigslist already for $420 total. Now I'm just deciding on a 1070 or 1080 for my 1440p monitor.

Sold both of my 970s on Craigslist already for $420 total. Now I'm just deciding on a 1070 or 1080 for my 1440p monitor.
I'm in the same boat and I can't decide. Either go with 1070 and sell it for 1080ti upgrade later or just get 1080 and not even bother till volta. I'm a bit afraid of jumping on 1080 because of it's current price and possible price drop if miraculously amd releases something competitive later or 1080ti release will juest repeat the same thing that happened with 980 price after 980 ti.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
We'll know AMD's Polaris game plan for sure next week. So if you can wait that long, half your fear is gone.

Needs a third option. I sold what I had (to a degree...) in order to buy a new GPU, but I still had other GPUs to keep me happy until both companies showed their hands.

[H]ardforum is a pretty hilarious place.

For 15 years I've watched threads pop up before every major CPU/GPU release about whether or not people will upgrade, then 10+ pages of people (with the latest last gen CPU/GPU in their signature) swearing up and down they won't....

And then within a few months their signatures have been magically updated.

Reactions: GT98
like this
within a few months
Well, this is definitely the place for enthusiasts. It's how many people here roll. I think this thread is more about the first 2 weeks or so. Many people are waiting for non-FE AIB cards to arrive, or the Titan/Ti variants to appear.

GTX 780 still works great for me and the games I play. Even at 2560x1440. I'm not playing many heavy duty titles though.

As much as I'd love to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, I think I'm going to hold out for big Pascal. My 980ti boosts itself well over 1400mhz without me even touching anything, and it essentially maxes everything I've played at 1440p. I know I'm going to take a pretty big hit on resale, but the extra time waiting will let me set aside a bit extra to offset the loss, too.

[H]ardforum is a pretty hilarious place.

For 15 years I've watched threads pop up before every major CPU/GPU release about whether or not people will upgrade, then 10+ pages of people (with the latest last gen CPU/GPU in their signature) swearing up and down they won't....

And then within a few months their signatures have been magically updated.

Amen to that. The last GPU I PLANNED on buying was a second GTX 460 for SLI... Since then I've had a 580, 580 Classy, 680, 780, 760 SLI, 780 Ti, and a Titan X. I'm sure plenty of people are in the same boat. When the upgrade urge hits... It hits [H]ard!

Waiting on ti .

Though I might get another 980ti if the 1080ti's cant come close to 980ti sli and the 980ti gets into the $400 price range.

Well, I purchased two. As long as it's 20% faster than the Titan X's, I'll be happy. And when the TIs come out, well, I'll wait and see if it's worth upgrading to those.

No guarantee of a ti version. I wouldn't be surprised to only see a $1500 new titan unless AMD challenges nvidia with their Vega line of cards.

Yes it is. Not a giant upgrade, and many people with 980tis won't bother.

Picked up a pair of Gigabyte 1080 FEs on Amazon I think The order went through but my card hasn't been charged yet. Supposed to get here Wednesday. We'll see. If there's a problem I may just wait a big more for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back