Will you buy a GTX 1080 and sell what you have now?

• Yes - buying a 1080, selling what I have now

Votes: 146 43.7%
  • No - Keeping what I have now (970. 980, 980 Ti, Titan Radeon, etc)

Votes: 188 56.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

I have a 980 Ti that hits over 1600mhz.

All performance references were made comparing VR.

Yeah, I'll be waiting for the Ti version, and I won't bite until I see actual reviews and real benchmark comparisons.

I have a 980Ti Hydro right now which seems to run my ultrawide monitor well (3840x1440). I am content to wait for a Pascal version of Titan with Hydro cooling, then I should be able to take the plunge and go for either dual ultrawides or jump to 4K.

Nope. I'm going to wait and see what a possible 1080ti looks like. That and I may do a system overhaul first.

I never buy the highest end due to diminishing returns so no.

Will look into the GTX 1070, although it is priced higher then I'd like.

But will want to see where Polaris 10 lands as well as more detail on both, not just in terms of performance but feature set as well.

Interested in ANSEL, will want to see more details regarding that.

*Shrugs.* Depends on reviews. I'm interested in the 1080 but I'm not going to spend $600 unless I feel it's worth it. DP1.4 is nice but we won't see monitors that take advantage of it until late this year or early next year most likely. So we'll see.

Nope. For the money I spent on my Titan X, I'm going to run it into the ground on principle. That, or newer games necessitate a new card. I hate being a flagship owner right now.

Nope. For the money I spent on my Titan X, I'm going to run it into the ground on principle. That, or newer games necessitate a new card. I hate being a flagship owner right now.

That'a kind of been the curse of being a flagship card owner since the 8800 Ultra. It's one of the reasons I've never bothered to buy the top end cards. Also, price. Mostly price to be honest.

I think most Titan X owners are in the same boat and thinking the same thing "run it into the ground". I'm just glad I have a G-SYNC display so 60fps isnt a ultimate requirement.

Currently own a Titan X. Probably going to buy this on day one though. Didn't vote in the poll because I'll end up keeping the Titan X as a hand me down. Wife has wanted me to build her a gaming PC for a while. If the benchmarks support the announcement today she'll get the Titan X and I'll play around with the 1080.

Now the wait for Kaby Lake so I can pass down my Haswell setup to her as well.

I expected it when I bought my Titan X. If you want the absolute best you will always pay a premium for it.

These are going to be difficult to come by for a while I bet. Cant wait to see the scalpers prices on eBay.

No. I would not pay $600 for a midrange card. I will wait for Big Pascal/Vega before making a decision.

I want 4k 60fps maxed settings 1 card.

Now the 1070 GTX might be worth it to hold me over. Sell some of my old cards, could easily get $380.

I expected it when I bought my Titan X. If you want the absolute best you will always pay a premium for it.

I knew it was going to happen eventually. At the time, I wanted something faster than a 980, but the Ti wasn't out yet.

At this point, knowing a TI model is coming, this is a complete waste of money coming from a 980TI. Unless you like to waste money for a few extra frames and show off, then by all means. Other than that, meh.

Might wait until 1080Ti and see if the architecture will improve more.

Yeah but the problem is that the top end cards don't launch first like the old days. It's one thing to pay $1000 every cycle to stay on top. But seeing $400 cards drop first with higher performance has to sting a bit.

I have to say I am tempted on the 1080. Twice the performance (possibly) I have now and I am pushing 4k... I have to make some IQ sacrifices to keep it smooth. Even then I still hit areas that get a little choppy. Maybe I am being nit-picky though. ;)

Yeah but the problem is that the top end cards don't launch first like the old days. It's one thing to pay $1000 every cycle to stay on top. But seeing $400 cards drop first with higher performance has to sting a bit.

Eh, not really. You don't really drop $1000 on a card if you're budget conscious or looking for value. You do it because you want the best available. I knew going into it that the Titan X wouldn't be king for very long. I got a bit over a year of top end gaming out of it, and it will get used in a secondary PC. c'est la vie.

will be waiting to see what Async performance is and how this will effect games going forward before I decide between Pascal and Polaris

Option #3

Keep what I have(recently purchased Nano without any coil whine,knock on wood),and build another system using a GTX1080 in Late May.

I sold my current card 3 days ago and got a very good price. Just using an old 7950 Until new cards launch from both camps. Only then will I make a decision on what to buy next.

No. I would not pay $600 for a midrange card. I will wait for Big Pascal/Vega before making a decision.

I want 4k 60fps maxed settings 1 card.

Now the 1070 GTX might be worth it to hold me over. Sell some of my old cards, could easily get $380.
No single card is going to do that even in all current games never mind upcoming games so give up on that dream. Hell an oced 980 ti cant even average anywhere near 60 fps at only 1080 in Quantum Break on full max so you are looking at over 4 times the gpu power being needed just to average 60 fps at 4k for it and even more to not ever dip below.

Last edited:
Nope. My 980 Ti runs everything nicely at 1440p. I will wait until 4K 120 Hz G-Sync displays become available and we have GPUs that can run those as well as the 980 Ti does in 1440p. So maybe next year.

GTX 1070 is extremely tempting. It would basically allow me to upgrade my display too.

Definitely grabbing a 1080 when it releases to upgrade my 970 SLI. I'm just wondering what the resale price of a 970 is now. $150?

Nope. My 980 Ti runs everything nicely at 1440p. I will wait until 4K 120 Hz G-Sync displays become available and we have GPUs that can run those as well as the 980 Ti does in 1440p. So maybe next year.

Don't forget OLED.

No upgrade for me not buying a midrange part with the Titan / Ti variant on the horizon. Let alone a ~20% perf bump is not really worth the upgrade.

WAY too early. I am not a fanboy. I'll wait for both these cards and Polaris to be released and H to review both before I buy ANYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back